• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

Zenfalcia

tumblr_nhiw5eiov51thmjwro1_500.gif
3d pig disgusting.
:p

Ilvocare

Curtain is great. And how was it foolish? Curtain call i believe has everything the original had.

-Multiplayer between the two games is exclusive, meaning no CC play with the original.
-CC certainly starts off with way more songs but there's a few that I had unlocked in the original that I can't access now.
-I wonder if I'd want to go back to the Chaos Shrine in TR after dealing with Quests in CC.
-EMS videos are exclusive to TR, whereas CC either has brand-new videos or just less of them.

It's minor things, but still things.

EDIT: On that note, if you own CC then isn't it possible to do Wi-Fi online versus???

Guys play Soul Hackers. Its good.
I gave up trying to play games since I ended up actually trying Pokemon Shuffle, so I decided to watch the Best Friends do For Answer instead.

However, I can't chose between continuing Ultimax, finishing Awakening, trying out South Park: The Stick of Truth, hell, even jumping back into Theaterhythm after having left it alone for so long...

you know, once I'm done with the Mechaweek video.
Shuffle is pretty fun tho...

Ilvocare

Man its not even just her... The mechanics feel so good. They nailed fusion down perfectly in this game. I don't understand why Nocturne or SMT4 uses this type of fusion.

Isn't fusion in Soul Hackers basically "demons are fucking locked in on their skills and inheritence and actually don't level at all"?

...Yeah I'd prefer demons that grow SOMEWHAT than demons that are static.

Isn't fusion in Soul Hackers basically "demons are fucking locked in on their skills and inheritence and actually don't level at all"?

...Yeah I'd prefer demons that grow SOMEWHAT than demons that are static.
The thing is it becomes a grind fest trying to get the right ability/level up. You mainly just use them for fusion fodder when they get out classed anyways. With locked in inheritence, you really have to think about which demons you should fuse and don't have to back in and out trying to get the right ability. There are serious problems with SMT3's fusion mechanics and I really dislike it.

Ilvocare

The thing is it becomes a grind fest trying to get the right ability/level up. You mainly just use them for fusion fodder when they get out classed anyways. With locked in inheritence, you really have to think about which demons you should fuse and don't have to back in and out trying to get the right ability. There are serious problems with SMT3's fusion mechanics and I really dislike it.

Right, but you also mentioned SMT4, which allows you to cherry pick skills.

That's way better, end of argument.

Not when the game isn't balanced for it. From what I've understand, by cherry picking, it makes encounters way too easy.

edit: they also become grind fest aswell trying to get the right ability.

Customization is a double edged sword since it becomes laughably easy to build a broken as fuck party with minimal effort that is basically invincible to all attacks except almighty.

They try to lock off skills and stuff, but it doesn't quite work. SMT3 and P3/P4 all limit you with the RNG of skill inheritance. It lowers your chances of making broken demons.

Ideally some sort of point system, where each skill carried over came out of a bank of points that disallowed having a Demon with a broken skillset until endgame high level demons had a higher point bank, would be ideal.
The Best Friends Pat has basically turned us into SMTGAF
I already had an SMT boner before I was on GAF

Ilvocare

Not when the game isn't balanced for it. From what I've understand, by cherry picking, it makes encounters way too easy.

edit: they also become grind fest aswell trying to get the right ability.

Demons only obtain new skills for like the first 5 levels or so after creation though, at most. It's hardly a grind if you're using them for the half-a-dungeon they're useful for.

Customization is a double edged sword since it becomes laughably easy to build a broken as fuck party with minimal effort that is basically invincible to all attacks except almighty.

They try to lock off skills and stuff, but it doesn't quite work. SMT3 and P3/P4 all limit you with the RNG of skill inheritance. It lowers your chances of making broken demons.

Ideally some sort of point system, where each skill carried over came out of a bank of points that disallowed having a Demon with a broken skillset until endgame high level demons had a higher point bank, would be ideal.
I already had an SMT boner before I was on GAF

I refuse to believe that the RNG limits or locks off ANYTHING. All you need to do is keep rolling that roulette, which may not occur to you naturally, but if someone cares enough then they'll play those fucking menus for all they're worth.

And that menu-playing is completely joyless, mind. It's an unintentional Skinner's Box.

And if we're talking about "choosing skills breaks the game," why hasn't anyone complained about its implementation in the Devil Survivor games???

I refuse to believe that the RNG limits or locks off ANYTHING. All you need to do is keep rolling that roulette, which may not occur to you naturally, but if someone cares enough then they'll play those fucking menus for all they're worth.

And that menu-playing is completely joyless, mind. It's an unintentional Skinner's Box.

And if we're talking about "choosing skills breaks the game," why hasn't anyone complained about its implementation in the Devil Survivor games???
Oh I know, it's not a good solution, it's a bad one, but I prefer discouragement over saying "fuck it".
A skill point system would be rad tho...
I haven't played DeSu so...

Top Bottom