• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

about how much does it cost to repair a laptop screen?
theres a crack at the bottom, and i know its just the screen as i tryed using my tv as a replacement monitor and everything works
guess no baldurs gate for me anytime soon
its an Asus btw
thank god for wiiu browser or id never get to talk to you guys till its fixed

The Best Friends Pat has basically turned us into SMTGAF

I liked Persona before I heard Pat gush over it. #Hipster
Customization is a double edged sword since it becomes laughably easy to build a broken as fuck party with minimal effort that is basically invincible to all attacks except almighty.

They try to lock off skills and stuff, but it doesn't quite work. SMT3 and P3/P4 all limit you with the RNG of skill inheritance. It lowers your chances of making broken demons.

Ideally some sort of point system, where each skill carried over came out of a bank of points that disallowed having a Demon with a broken skillset until endgame high level demons had a higher point bank, would be ideal.

That sounds way too complicated. I don't see how they could implement that. What they should have done is made demons have a set of unchangeable skills and then a couple of skills you can pick yourself.

And if we're talking about "choosing skills breaks the game," why hasn't anyone complained about its implementation in the Devil Survivor games???
They limit the Skill inheritance chain by limiting how many ability can be inherited in categories. There are also greyed out "level up" abilities that restrict inheritance. Its a way better system.
A game about a cat with a penis for a nose got funded on kickstarter
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=998309
Looks more like a Squidward nose.

You guys turned this into SMTGAF then.
And dragged me along
I think OT3 was the one where Chao just made the banner the Persona 5 teaser because we were all talking about Perboners.
They limit the Skill inheritance chain by limiting how many ability can be inherited in categories. There are also greyed out "level up" abilities that restrict inheritance. Its a way better system.
OOOOOHHHHH

That sounds way too complicated. I don't see how they could implement that. What they should have done is made demons have a set of unchangeable skills and then a couple of skills you can pick yourself.
When I say points I mean like fusing a demon it just has a number like '96'. And stuff like Null Wind takes 20 points, while stuff like Garula is like 4. To a point where it just discourages making invincible demons.

The sandbox of and bending it can be fun, but I'd prefer a normal difficulty curve.

Are you saying they should just limit the number of slots for inherited skills?

That's basically DeSu's system along with lock out slots for level ups.

GOD DAMN DeSu WOULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER GAME IF IT WASN"T FOR THE AUCTIONS

Ilvocare

So I haven't played SMT4 yet, which is why I'm going to ask this question. What limits are there in skill choice? Because I know Nocturne and P3/P4 only let you carry over 2 to 4 skills at once from both parent demons. If in SMT4 you can load up your new demon with as many legacy skills as you want, then there's a point to be made. It seems baffling for that to be the case, though.

When I say points I mean like fusing a demon it just has a number like '96'. And stuff like Null Wind takes 20 points, while stuff like Garula is like 4. To a point where it just discourages making invincible demons.

The sandbox of and bending it can be fun, but I'd prefer a normal difficulty curve.

Are you saying they should just limit the number of slots for inherited skills?

Hmm, I guess that could work. Balancing that would be difficult, though. Also, yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying.
That's basically DeSu's system along with lock out slots for level ups.

Huh, well then. I wonder why they didn't just use that for SMT4.

Ilvocare

Huh, well then. I wonder why they didn't just use that for SMT4.

Well, for starters, DSurv has three action skills and three passive skills per demon, along with some sort of optional 7th skill that actually has something to do with your human party leader or some shit, I don't remember.

The reason that is, is because in a standard battle in DSurv you're using 4 human party leaders with 2 demons each leader. Because the game is an SRPG, mind. Hence, way more units to take care of require more restrictions on the power of each individual member.

I'd argue that in a standard RPG your smaller party has to be more individually competent in order to compensate.

Ilvocare

It was grindy for Macca. God damn the grind for new demons...

Its probably the worst demon acquisition in the Megaten series.

This is baffling. This is the second time you bring up grinding in SMT games, where I've always seen a rather natural curve in acquisition of resources in the games I've played. Any reasons on why I stopped playing an SMT game are attributable to either SMT overload or RL stepping in. What exactly are you grinding for that needs that?

also did you hit buyout on every single auction by any chance

This is baffling. This is the second time you bring up grinding in SMT games, where I've always seen a rather natural curve in acquisition of resources in the games I've played. Any reasons on why I stopped playing an SMT game are attributable to either SMT overload or RL stepping in. What exactly are you grinding for that needs that?

also did you hit buyout on every single auction by any chance
I'm bad at auctions ok? Those dirty auction people always out bid me.

well since my laptop screen is fucked until i get it fixed i guess ill play Earthbound alongside Links Awakening instead of Baldurs Gate 1and 2

Numb

We are tuly in the golden age of LPs.
And now we are in phase 2 with mystery boxes that are very entertaining and mecha week so good it should be mecha month. And i dont have to tell anyone how godlike Rev2 is.

So I said I was gonna call it quits with Armored Core 3 for tonight after getting all OP-INTENSIFY functions and hidden parts. Decided against that and just blasted through the Extra Arena. Having an AI partner takes the stress and difficulty of arena combat off you a bit, especially when one of the partners you can choose is as OP as Kaiser.

Though that last fight was quite a challenge. Kaiser actually went down by Ace's hand, but not before bringing his AP down to 300 or so points, and I ran out of ammo when taking down his other partner.

The end of the fight was literally me and Ace flying towards each other and doing a sword slash. He didn't live.

It was fucking kick ass. Man, I wish AC games let you save your replays of arena matches, because that would be a keeper.

Though now the aggravating part is that my percentage completion is at 99%. Still missing something, dammit! I'M SO CLOSE!!!

Man all this AC talks reminds me of when I got a used copy of Last Raven years ago from GameStop. Controlling it was too hard for a shit kid like me. I wonder how I'd do nowadays.
I'd probably still fuck up and suck.

Man all this AC talks reminds me of when I got a used copy of Last Raven years ago from GameStop. Controlling it was too hard for a shit kid like me. I wonder how I'd do nowadays.
I'd probably still fuck up and suck.
Last Raven is legendary for being like the hardest game in the series. Specifically having the most brutal first mission you can take if you don't carry over your save from previous games. I'm amazed that's the one you went with.

I fucking need to get a copy of that. That and Nine Breaker are the only two games I need left to finish my PS2 Armored Core collection.

Ilvocare

So I said I was gonna call it quits with Armored Core 3 for tonight after getting all OP-INTENSIFY functions and hidden parts. Decided against that and just blasted through the Extra Arena. Having an AI partner takes the stress and difficulty of arena combat off you a bit, especially when one of the partners you can choose is as OP as Kaiser.

Though that last fight was quite a challenge. Kaiser actually went down by Ace's hand, but not before bringing his AP down to 300 or so points, and I ran out of ammo when taking down his other partner.

The end of the fight was literally me and Ace flying towards each other and doing a sword slash. He didn't live.

It was fucking kick ass. Man, I wish AC games let you save your replays of arena matches, because that would be a keeper.

Though now the aggravating part is that my percentage completion is at 99%. Still missing something, dammit! I'M SO CLOSE!!!

Watch there are different ending missions that you have to complete in order to 100% the game. Just fucking watch.

Last Raven is legendary for being like the hardest game in the series. Specifically having the most brutal first mission you can take if you don't carry over your save from previous games. I'm amazed that's the one you went with.

I fucking need to get a copy of that. That and Nine Breaker are the only two games I need left to finish my PS2 Armored Core collection.

Okay so it's actually legit hard, it wasn't just me sucking. It was when I knew nothing about games. My choices were usually "This looks cool/like something I know. Lets get it"

I had just gotten a PS2 I think and I was like "Hey used game bin is cheap, please take me" So I got Graffiti Kingdom, Last Raven, and Musashi: Samurai Legend. I only beat Musashi and that was like 2 years ago I think.

Looked over all the in game parts while cross checking the AC Wiki. Nothing is missing. All the missions are completed and every Arena opponent is wasted.

It must be the S ranks for missions, it has to be.

In which case, fuck that shit I'm considering this save file as done as it'll ever be. I already bought out every part in the shop and I still have a million credits left for god sake.

Thus that saga comes to a close, and I can look forward to playing Silent Line in the future with this data carried over.

So since I cant draw I'm thinking of saying fuck it and make my manga into a light novel sorta thing. What do you guys think? It worked for that SAO dude.

Zenfalcia

FML, C debug is so fucking bad and there's no time
There's always no time.
Looked over all the in game parts while cross checking the AC Wiki. Nothing is missing. All the missions are completed and every Arena opponent is wasted.

It must be the S ranks for missions, it has to be.

In which case, fuck that shit I'm considering this save file as done as it'll ever be. I already bought out every part in the shop and I still have a million credits left for god sake.

Thus that saga comes to a close, and I can look forward to playing Silent Line in the future with this data carried over.
Do it tho.
So since I cant draw I'm thinking of saying fuck it and make my manga into a light novel sorta thing. What do you guys think? It worked for that SAO dude.
ehhh..... you could. Try.. or just keep gitting gud at drawing.

Alfebit

Banned
So Valkyria Chronicles just crashes if your controller disconnects and for whatever reason, even though X is mapped properly it reads the input as circle.

NEVER MIND! I DID IT!!

I forgot that the game counts AC kills during missions toward 100% completion. Did some looking online, and apparently the one that I had missed was somewhat common. Went back, killed the fucker, and I'm no longer at 99%.

Thank you internet. And now I rest. Goodnight, frienders.

Zenfalcia

So Valkyria Chronicles just crashes if your controller disconnects and for whatever reason, even though X is mapped properly it reads the input as circle.
What a mysterious jogo.
NEVER MIND! I DID IT!!

I forgot that the game counts AC kills during missions toward 100% completion. Did some looking online, and apparently the one that I had missed was somewhat common. Went back, killed the fucker, and I'm no longer at 99%.

Thank you internet. And now I rest. Goodnight, frienders.
Conglaturtations.

serph a shit
Sera a shit

DDS is pretty good tho, my second favorite.

But Nemissa/hitomi is literally GOAT

Two different types of god tier waifu in one body.

Nemissa is great and all. She's probably my no.2. But you know who's no.1? The best Embryon girl.

I had a cool Embryon girls picture, but I couldn't find it on my HDD. Now I'm sad
dokN6UF.png

Not really a discussion since Me and E_Darkness are the only ones who played/playing it apparently and he's not here. Its really good.

Soul Hackers is great. One of my favourites. I just love the whole 90s sci-fi of it.

Top Bottom