• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

Sure but DS1 and 2 were big games as well, relatively.
They weren't really shown off at events as the big Sony exclusive and pushed around as much as Bloodborne. DS2 maybe a little, I guess.
Game accessibility is an annoying notion that I feel like is bought in to question way too frequently.
Pleasing the majority by shooting for the lowest common denominator is a simple way to think about maximizing profit.

Game accessibility is an annoying notion that I feel like is bought in to question way too frequently.

Spoken like a true hardcore gamer. Accessibility is the difference between the Wii selling seven bazillion units and the new consoles selling half a bazillion. It's what keeps people coming in, and that's super important.

croten

They weren't really shown off at events as the big Sony exclusive and pushed around as much as Bloodborne. DS2 maybe a little, I guess.

Pleasing the majority by shooting for the lowest common denominator is a simple way to think about maximizing profit.

It's why the Wii was so successful

Xiraiya

Spoken like a true hardcore gamer. Accessibility is the difference between the Wii selling seven bazillion units and the new consoles selling half a bazillion. It's what keeps people coming in, and that's super important.

I'm not saying it in the sense of "If you're not bashing your face against a brick wall then it's pointless" because that's stupid.
I'm just saying that I feel like games get criticized too easily for accessibility sometimes when all it takes to figure them out is a little bit of understanding. the result of that criticism is games then being simplified or "streamlined" in ways that removes part of their depth.

Basically the level of accessibility should never be a compromise, it should be an intention from the beginning

Oberon

Banned
I apologize.
Hopefully i did not spoil much with the running.

It's ok, I have already put you on my ignore list for that.

Well surprise oberon, there's gothic structures and lots of running.

Preorder canelled

I'm the same. People have been posting gifs in here for weeks :x

I'm on mobile GAF right now though so HAH

I want my first time to be special. Pls Blood-chan
don't
be gentle ~

I'm not saying it in the sense of "If you're not bashing your face against a brick wall then it's pointless" because that's stupid.

I'm just saying that I feel like games get criticized too easily for accessibility sometimes when all it takes to figure them out is a little bit of understanding. the result of that criticism is games then being simplified or "streamlined" in ways that removes part of their depth.

Yeah. That always sucks.

In terms of actual game quality for people like us, yeah, for sure. Accessibility is something that can exist independant of quality, say like, in a Mario game where mechanics are simple enough that pretty much anyone ever can play them, but they can still be really good games.

The attitude you're describing does result in diminished experiences for a lot of games, but when you're selling your thing as a product and you have corporate interests, you're kinda forced by the bigwigs.

Zenfalcia

360pages

I'm always one to say that if X is popular it's popular for a reason. Even series I hate like Twilight, or series that quality is questionable at best like Naruto knows what they are doing and how to appeal to said market.

(Naruto is no where near as bad as Twilight)

Hell, I usually try to make my writing a stories easy for everyone to read. But I'm not saying more complex things should be dumbdown for me to enjoy.

Hell, I usually try to make my writing a stories easy for everyone to read. But I'm not saying more complex things should be dumbdown for me to enjoy.
Books are mainly different because they have way less fingers in the pie and way less money at stake. Book publishers don't tell you to dumb down your books for sales.

It's nearly impossible to justify appealing to a niche in videogames, unless you're indie or one of the few medium sized studios.
It is literally 2 seconds of running with him drawing his weapons. There is nothing spoiled in that gif. I'm all for spoiler tagging everything but this is kind of ridiculous
LET ME BE CRAZY

Numb

I'm always one to say that if X is popular it's popular for a reason. Even series I hate like Twilight, or series that quality is questionable at best like Naruto knows what they are doing and how to appeal to said market.

I finished them both.
To be honest i treated them like comedies and was laughing all the time through the dumb shit going on.
I go out of my way to find stupid stuff like this cos its unique comedy you cant find anywhere else.

It is literally 2 seconds of running with him drawing his weapons. There is nothing spoiled in that gif. I'm all for spoiler tagging everything but this is kind of ridiculous

There are people that like to be super spoiler free and i understand that.

I read Twilight. The whole thing. I don't recommend it.

Not everyone likes games with high skill ceilings. Some people like the "Press X to win" feeling you get from certain games(Batman:Arkham series).

It's why the Wii was so successful

OH BOTH OF YOU!

croten

Not everyone likes games with high skill ceilings. Some people like the "Press X to win" feeling you get from certain games(Batman:Arkham series).

OH BOTH OF YOU!

I'm not joking. Games like Wii Sports were a huge hit due to how accessible they were to everybody. My granny who has only ever played Tetris was playing it, that's pretty god damn accessible.

I typically like Super BunnyHop videos, but this one is atrocious.

While agree with his points (Wii U is the only console that differentiated itself, If you game on PC, there is not much point to a PS4 of Xbone) I do think there is a level of smugness.

He might have felt a bit differently if he was a Persona fan

Mathaou

legacy of cane
He's jumping ship to Platinum.

KojimaxKamiya is going to happen.

uZf_TFSx-Os6yM7PtPtDTjh89YU49FloJ7Vh98KMQwQMlAwNeScvLc-zSWmuzdi7g37M-StbN_M0cw=w1342-h523

Isn't someone in here reading a graphic novel adaptation of Macbeth for high school?
Shakespeare is a terrible example of this because early modern English is practically a different language when read off the page and honestly shouldn't be read outside of a college class specializing in Shakespeare, with a teacher who knows a lot about Shakespeare.

Wow this kojima shit is crazy I saw a post on tumblr where all mention of kojima and kojipro were taken off all the phantom pain sites and I thought it was just another scheme

Shakespeare is a terrible example of this because early modern English is practically a different language when read off the page and honestly shouldn't be read outside of a college class specializing in Shakespeare, with a teacher who knows a lot about Shakespeare.

I did Macbeth and The Odyssey my freshman year of highschool in the regular (not honors) english class.

Get gud high school kids

I did Macbeth and The Odyssey my freshman year of highschool in the regular (not honors) english class.
I did Shakespeare in regular English classes in high school too. Doesn't change the fact that forcing the stuff on kids who don't give a shit about Shakespeare's significance to the English language is a bad idea. Why do you think Americans generally hate reading? High school literature/English classes forcing them to read shit they didn't care about.

You missed the point.

What, that questioning whether or not a game is accessible is valid?

I understood your point quite clearly.

Basically the level of accessibility should never be a compromise, it should be an intention from the beginning

Your little bit of understanding might vary wildly from someone else's little bit of understanding.

I did Shakespeare in regular English classes in high school too. Doesn't change the fact that forcing the stuff on kids who don't give a shit about Shakespeare's significance to the English language is a bad idea. Why do you think Americans generally hate reading? High school literature/English classes forcing them to read shit they didn't care about.

The American education system is shit garbage. This is known.

Xiraiya

What, that questioning whether or not a game is accessible is valid?

I understood your point quite clearly.

Your little bit of understanding might vary wildly from someone else's little bit of understanding.

Of course there are people who only want to press X to win, that's just stating the obvious, but it's not my point.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
For whoever is reading MacBeth, I was The Porter in my fall production. Shakespeare is weird because I still remember my whole soliloquy.

Top Bottom