• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

Xiraiya

MGSV it's self will be largely unaffected by this, or it might even sell better just because of what happened to Kojima, but I am concerned about the Multiplayer aspect a little.
Also I assume Silent Hills is probably not going to be what we all hoped it would be, that's if it even ever exists.

The Japanese AAA market is dead. Square Enix is done. Konami has fallen. Nintendo has taken drastic measures to save their company. If Capcom didn't have IPs console makers cared about, they would be dead. Sony had to sell buildings and stop making awesome TVs and Phones to not go bankrupt.

It's dead. And with the rise of indies, kickstarter, and Greenlight, Western publishers might wanna start sweating too.

Well SEGA has Atlus so they have that going for them...

The Japanese AAA market is dead. Square Enix is done. Konami has fallen. Nintendo has taken drastic measures to save their company. If Capcom didn't have IPs console makers cared about, they would be dead. Sony had to sell buildings and stop making awesome TVs and Phones to not go bankrupt.

It's dead. And with the rise of indies, kickstarter, and Greenlight, Western publishers might wanna start sweating too.

I wouldn't call SE done, when they just released a game earlier this week, have a new major Final Fantasy game coming in the next year and they're announcing a new console RPG this year as well. Plus FFXIV is booming and its coming out with its first major expansion in a few months (as well as FFXI getting its last expansion as well this fall). Also, Bravely Second is coming as well. And thats just internal development. They're still a major publisher for stuff like Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, etc.

They're probably the least dead of the Japanese AAA market. You can even argue they're coming back after a mediocre showing last gen.

You know they mentioned VO in the AC video and I might be fucked. Oh well
The only reason I could think it wouldn't happen is that VO requires a very specific controller to play it to its fullest, and I think the rerelease of Oratorio Tangram doesn't have split screen.

Though they might just do it anyway through system link and have both feeds in the same video, but we'll see. Woolie was right in that you don't have a mechaweek without Armored Core, and I expect the same for the game that's probably the most influential on many Japanese mecha games.

Numb

Its a lot better than any final fantasy game in the past also.

image.php

360pages

Outside of EA and Ubisoft, I don't know many big Western companies either. There are places like Insomniac and Naughty dog, but even then they are small in comparison.

I see indies and Kickstarter being the fuel, along with handheld games. Pretty much smaller games that won't need as much money to make.

Well SEGA has Atlus so they have that going for them...
You mean Sega has outstanding PC support, Total War, and Football Manager. Atlus ain't gonna do much.
I wouldn't call SE done, when they just released a game earlier this week, have a new major Final Fantasy game coming in the next year and they're announcing a new console RPG this year as well. Plus FFXIV is booming and its great. Also, Bravely Second is coming as well. And thats just internal development. They're still a major publisher for stuff like Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, etc.
SE still has poor management, and massive budget sinkholes like KH3 and FFXV and their stupid engine problems. Mobile development and Eidos IPs have kept them alive, but for how much longer?

Also, I forgot to resize your avatar. Do you want a fixed version?

The only reason I could think it wouldn't happen is that VO requires a very specific controller to play it to its fullest, and I think the rerelease of Oratorio Tangram doesn't have split screen.

Though they might just do it anyway through system link and have both feeds in the same video, but we'll see. Woolie was right in that you don't have a mechaweek without Armored Core, and I expect the same for the game that's probably the most influential on many Japanese mecha games.

They've said fuck it before a few times. Those 3S videos without sticks felt weird but I know they're used to pads from back in the day

Outside of EA and Ubisoft, I don't know many big Western companies either. There are places like Insomniac and Naughty dog, but even then they are small in comparison.

Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Valve, and Microsoft are the big five of Western Publishers. All four of them are fine in financial sense, even though Stockholders want Microsoft to drop the Xbox division badly. Bethesda, WB, and Disney are growing larger, tho.

For some reason, Take Two is always among rumors of getting bought out.

You mean Sega has outstanding PC support, Total War, and Football Manager. Atlus ain't gonna do much.

SE still has poor management, and massive budget sinkholes like KH3 and FFXV and their stupid engine problems. Mobile development and Eidos IPs have kept them alive, but for how much longer?

Also, I forgot to resize your avatar. Do you want a fixed version?

Whatever you want, its your bet.

As much as i like FF14, i wouldn't say its better than FF9

Fuck FF9's combat system. The slowest piece of shit I've ever seen in my life. The game itself is one of the better FF games though, but FF14 is at least fun to play and has a great open world that's really interesting and worth exploring, which is more than I can say for basically every FF game. (kind of cheating since its an MMO, but whatever).

Now you're just going overboard.

Final Fantasy in general is pretty middle of the pack in the first place, especially in comparison to many other JRPGs. Probably the first time an FF game has blown me away in its quality.

Did you know that Final Fantasy The Spirits within is one of the best sci fi films of all time? Because it is and I cant wait to watch it on my sick Plasma HD TV

I'm never watching that movie again ;_;

I wouldn't call SE done, when they just released a game earlier this week, have a new major Final Fantasy game coming in the next year and they're announcing a new console RPG this year as well. Plus FFXIV is booming and its coming out with its first major expansion in a few months (as well as FFXI getting its last expansion as well this fall). Also, Bravely Second is coming as well. And thats just internal development. They're still a major publisher for stuff like Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, etc.

They're probably the least dead of the Japanese AAA market. You can even argue they're coming back after a mediocre showing last gen.

Fact is, Konami and Capcom are clearly concerned with chasing money in mobile. Japan has barely a console scene anymore.

Honestly...VI is overrated to the point where it almost became a hipster version of FF VII.

If 6 is overrated, so is 5 and 4. They're essentially the same story driven RPGs with slight tweaks in the combat system.

360pages

Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Valve, and Microsoft are the big five of Western Publishers. All four of them are fine in financial sense, even though Stockholders want Microsoft to drop the Xbox division badly. Bethesda, WB, and Disney are growing larger, tho.

Ugh, that's no good. Since the high amount of trash those companies have been making lately. Hell, I legit only want Ubisoft for another Rayman game. Valve is really good, but they don't make games frequently enough. Activision isn't even worth talking about honestly.

Zenfalcia

Took a few hours to build, but at least I don't have to worry about going digital for a long time.

Also, had to put the two husbandos together for the picture.
What an amazing room colour.
If even Nintendo is going mobile....
It's fine!
This DDS dungeon is the best because it has a bunch skeletons that make skeleton puns. 10/10 dungeon design.
Anything with puns are the best.

360pages

FF Tactics (All of them) > FFVI > FF Crystal Chronicles GCN > FFIV > The rest

Crystal chronicles has an amazing setting and premise, even interesting gameplay. But it's a game where you need at least 3 people to have any kind of enjoyment. And the lack of just having regular gameplay with 4 controls limits an already rather situational game.

They've said fuck it before a few times. Those 3S videos without sticks felt weird but I know they're used to pads from back in the day
That's true. Hopefully that's the case.

Man, I wish the Seattle Gameworks actually had a Virtual On machine. I mean, they have a mural right next to the entrance with fucking Temjin right on it.

360pages

Disgaea is a weird game where it's barely any tactics involved. Most of the time, it's really closer to a regular RPG where the characters happen to move on squares...that is probably why it's the only tactical RPG I can really get into. It's closer to a standard RPG, than say Fire Emblem.

Top Bottom