• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

Disgaea is a weird game where it's barely any tactics involved. Most of the time, it's really closer to a regular RPG where the characters happen to move on squares...that is probably why it's the only tactical RPG I can really get into. It's closer to a standard RPG, than say Fire Emblem.

Trust me, when you really get deep into Disgaea, tactics are all you can use. The main story is mainly pretty easy, but post game shit is the deepest and most satisfying tactical gameplay that rivals Tactics Ogre and FE.

Fact is, Konami and Capcom are clearly concerned with chasing money in mobile. Japan has barely a console scene anymore.

If 6 is overrated, so is 5 and 4. They're essentially the same story driven RPGs with slight tweaks in the combat system.

I don't doubt that at all. Especially with Kojima leaving Konami, what games do they still make? Silent Hills is probably dead and we'll never see a suikoden or castlevania game unless its a cheap iOS game. You can argue that Capcom is attempting to stay alive in the console scene, but companies like Konami and Sega have completely moved on.

I played with 4 people, as a gamecube fanboy in the height of my Final Fantasy fanboyism and kept asking myself "Why is this shit? Why is this shit? Why is this shit?"

I found it fun. It did things better than most Final Fantasy games. They actually made an interesting world with a lot of lore. Also no forced romance or dumb anime bullshit

I expect the game is boring as shit by yourself.

It is my subjective opinion.

360pages

Trust me, when you really get deep into Disgaea, tactics are all you can use. The main story is mainly pretty easy, but post game shit is the deepest and most satisfying tactical gameplay that rivals Tactics Ogre and FE.

I actually beated most post games in Disgaea. I think outside of Baal, and maybe Pringer, it's usually grinding some units until their numbers are close or higher. Most of the tactics actually come in on how grind faster and get results.

Numb

Someone walked in while i was browsing Nick cage images.
I backed our quick like i was looking at lewd stuff or something.
We decide on what movie we watching this Sat?
A nick cage one maybe

9kDliFW.gif

I've never even played a Conker game and I think this shit is dumb.

So how do I know if an enemy has a particular resistance to sharpness?

When I was fighting the Emerald Congolala, I noticed that as soon as my weapon hit yellow, most of my attacks were bouncing off. But it didn't seem to matter the location; for a baddie like the Magala, I can understand that the armored forearm is probably a bit harder to cut through. On the ape? It looks like the whole thing should be squishy.

I guess the answer to my question is "when it starts bouncing off" but I wish I had a bit more warning and I really need to get that last S. Magala part for the upgrade to Leidenskraft.

360pages

Tales of Symphonia is my favorite Tales of game next to Vespiria.

Legendia was awful, and the cast of Abyss were assholes. Phantasia was alright.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So how do I know if an enemy has a particular resistance to sharpness?

When I was fighting the Emerald Congolala, I noticed that as soon as my weapon hit yellow, most of my attacks were bouncing off. But it didn't seem to matter the location; for a baddie like the Magala, I can understand that the armored forearm is probably a bit harder to cut through. On the ape? It looks like the whole thing should be squishy.

I guess the answer to my question is "when it starts bouncing off" but I wish I had a bit more warning and I really need to get that last S. Magala part for the upgrade to Leidenskraft.

When your sharpness is yellow, you should use a whetstone ASAP. Your damage output is really hurting at that point.

In the end, there's no signal. It's just monster knowledge of armor. Variants and higher rank versions of the same monsters will have more armor in various places. The higher your sharpness, the better it will negate this. There's also a skill that ignores armor.

For the Congala in particular, he has armor during certain moves he does.

I love Tales, but I'll be the first to admit that it's not even near the level of those other games.

There are a lot of great one-off JRPGS I like as well

Chrono Trigger
Radiant Historia.

And Vesperia and Symphony imo are on the same level as those other series.

I forgot to mention that the Mario RPGs are fucking hype too.

Symphonia > Phantasia > Hearts R > Abyss > Graces F > Xillia > Xillia 2 > The ones I haven't played > Vesperia.

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU DISLIKE VESPERIA?

360pages

I've gone over this at length in the past, it comes down to me just thinking everything about the characters and story are the least interesting thing in the world and that the gameplay is just Symphonia but with characters I hate.

I actually liked most of the cast. Sure they could be annoying at times, but they avoided being asshats unlike most of the Abyss cast. Hell, I'm one of those people who defend early Luke considering his situation.

I actually liked most of the cast. Sure they could be annoying at times, but they avoided being asshats unlike most of the Abyss cast. Hell, I'm one of those people who defend early Luke considering his situation.

I'd rather have a bunch of shitty assholes than warm bodies and Karol AKA Hitler.

I've gone over this at length in the past, it comes down to me just thinking everything about the characters and story are the least interesting thing in the world and that the gameplay is just Symphonia but with characters I hate.

Yuri Lowell is the best Tales protag.

And the gameplay is amazing. It took the already good combat of Abyss and improved it.

I admit the story is the weak part but its serviceable.

If I could take Vesperia's combat and main character and transplant them into Symphonia, it would make the prefect action JRPG

When your sharpness is yellow, you should use a whetstone ASAP. Your damage output is really hurting at that point.

In the end, there's no signal. It's just monster knowledge of armor. Variants and higher rank versions of the same monsters will have more armor in various places. The higher your sharpness, the better it will negate this. There's also a skill that ignores armor.

For the Congala in particular, he has armor during certain moves he does.

Considering that the best I can do is pretty short green, I sharpen when I can.

360pages

I'd rather have a bunch of shitty assholes than warm bodies and Karol AKA Hitler.

Okay, Karol is a hell of a lot better as a Token Child character compared to Anise...who was just the worst all the time.

Plus Rita was pretty funny, even if she didn't make any connections to people other than Estelle.

Top Bottom