• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

Zenfalcia

oh okay
yeah it's pretty out there
not for everyone
but you know what is for everyone and no one knows it
wild arms
seriously i think I'm the only one in the thread whose even touched one
they're really cool, innovative rpgs with a nice take on the dungeon system
and on fp
And have a mentioned how godlike the ost is
Out of 10 what would you rate it? I was tempted to get it, but then realized I had tons of other games to finish.

beinfilms

My friend generally has me on Nav and Comms the few times we played it. (undermanned so lots of doubling up).

That game is a fucking Star Trek simulator. We had a point where he was standing up, pacing, giving us all instructions as we wrecked shit. So much fun.

Yep! We rotated stations, but I have a terrible personality for being captain (even though I'm a DM for D&D. I don't understand it), weapons and engineering were too confusing to just jump into, and I enjoyed helm, just not as much as science. It was a cool feeling to be able to receive communications, go to red alert, etc.

Yep! We rotated stations, but I have a terrible personality for being captain (even though I'm a DM for D&D. I don't understand it), weapons and engineering were too confusing to just jump into, and I enjoyed helm, just not as much as science. It was a cool feeling to be able to receive communications, go to red alert, etc.
Doing comms is surprisingly fun, especially shouting out you got an all clear and sending message fast.

This is the best part of Gravity Rush.
Grcostumes.png

Ilvocare

Alright

After a solid hour of trying my hand at Catherine again, I have realized, that I am garbage at the game. Like I've actively gotten worse, but if I just do the Normal campaign again I won't learn anything new. The difference in skill between Normal and Hard is... significant. And that's putting it mildly.

Zenfalcia

This is the best part of Gravity Rush.
Grcostumes.png
Needs more costumes.
Alright

After a solid hour of trying my hand at Catherine again, I have realized, that I am garbage at the game. Like I've actively gotten worse, but if I just do the Normal campaign again I won't learn anything new. The difference in skill between Normal and Hard is... significant. And that's putting it mildly.
git gud tho.

I already have the physical version, but I never got that far cause the touchscreen/gyro controls were so annoying.

Hmm, what about Despicable Me: The Game?
No but really though Home could be cool? Otherwise I don't see anything else that would interest me, idk about you though

Alright

Yeah I went through hard first just to see what it is like and just quit after the first night. It's pretty fun tho.

Ilvocare

Yeah I went through hard first just to see what it is like and just quit after the first night. It's pretty fun tho.

After Gold-ranking all the levels of the Campaign on Normal
except the final level
I tried my hand at the first level on Hard and BARELY Gold-ranked it.

It is fun, that's why I went back to Rapunzel. I'm so close!

beinfilms

Doing comms is surprisingly fun, especially shouting out you got an all clear and sending message fast.

My only real problem with it, honestly, is that it's so combat-focused. I assume that'll change as they update it, but right now, the two things it needs are more diplomacy, and the ability to warp between systems. I want huge, huge, FTL-necessary maps.

Slight Spanish Inquisition sketch going on here.

My only real problem with it, honestly, is that it's so combat-focused. I assume that'll change as they update it, but right now, the two things it needs are more diplomacy, and the ability to warp between systems. I want huge, huge, FTL-necessary maps.
Diplomacy would be huge, but just some general polish would take it so far. "Potential" describes that game like nuts.

semisonic

Banned
Out of 10 what would you rate it? I was tempted to get it, but then realized I had tons of other games to finish.

1 is a solid 8 I'd say, but it's fundamentally a different kind of rpg than most others.
I'd call 3 the highlight of the series, but they build on each other.
They're all ugly as shit until you get to 3(not on map or in dungeon, where they've got that timeless suikoden 2 thing going on, but in battle)
which is the first game with a cel-shaded style and the last with Naruke's music, which is a good amount of the reason I consider it the best(though the later composers do imitate it)

To be honest, I haven't beaten any of them completely. One thing to realize though is that they're short games, only 15-20 hours for the first one(without sidequests. With, 30 hours is long.)
Very manageable.
For the first two games, only some characters can use the kickass superguns called ARMs. This leads to a very specialized party system.
From 3 onwards, however, everyone can use arms, with different people using different guns.

If you can get any of them, play it for a bit. You'll figure out fast if you like it or not.
Here's some gameplay of 1.
(Though the dude is mashing through the battles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9PSxZQlGj8

Zenfalcia

1 is a solid 8 I'd say, but it's fundamentally a different kind of rpg than most others.
I'd call 3 the highlight of the series, but they build on each other.
They're all ugly as shit until you get to 3(not on map or in dungeon, where they've got that timeless suikoden 2 thing going on, but in battle)
which is the first game with a cel-shaded style and the last with Naruke's music, which is a good amount of the reason I consider it the best(though the later composers do imitate it)

To be honest, I haven't beaten any of them completely. One thing to realize though is that they're short games, only 15-20 hours for the first one(without sidequests. With, 30 hours is long.)
Very manageable.
For the first two games, only some characters can use the kickass superguns called ARMs. This leads to a very specialized party system.
From 3 onwards, however, everyone can use arms, with different people using different guns.

If you can get any of them, play it for a bit. You'll figure out fast if you like it or not.
Here's some gameplay of 1.
(Though the dude is mashing through the battles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9PSxZQlGj8
Hmm... I'll look into it more before getting it. Thanks.

semisonic

Banned
Hmm... I'll look into it more before getting it. Thanks.

Honestly, I'd go ahead and just buy 1 since it's so cheap right now.
Maybe two if you're confident you'll like it.
You might as well try it.
Also in the video there is some weird audio glitch for the boss.
I wouldn't call it standard, and it might be emulation. Dunno tho.

Zenfalcia

semisonic

Banned
It's fine!!!

I know, i'm just hesitant on getting it if I know I won't finish it.

Take the plunge
It's shorter than the last story
try it for like 30 minutes
if you don't like it, you wasted a buck
if you do, you can get it done in a few sittings.
It's worth it entirely for that opening theme.

By the way, did you get the chance to try the multi-crew stuff? That's the one thing we didn't get to do, because there weren't enough people.
Not at all. Would be amazing having multiple ships running, and possibly confusing if you had them close enough to hear each other
Ugh. This leaves as bad a pit in my stomach as when some of you guys get all food snobbish. Puts me in such a bad mood.
Which food snob stuff? Is it when Cthulhu's like "just make your own" cause that makes me laugh

beinfilms

Not at all. Would be amazing having multiple ships running, and possibly confusing if you had them close enough to hear each other

I think there's a mechanic built into the game so that you can set up webcams, and then the captains can have conversations on the main viewer from different rooms. I don't know how well it actually works, but in theory, it seems awesome!

Zenfalcia

Take the plunge
It's shorter than the last story
try it for like 30 minutes
if you don't like it, you wasted a buck
if you do, you can get it done in a few sittings.
It's worth it entirely for that opening theme.
But i could use that money for other games or even spend no money or get it cheaper at a local vidya game store.
Which food snob stuff? Is it when Cthulhu's like "just make your own" cause that makes me laugh
Just make your own tho.

I know Sjay has been complaining (I think its complaining) about Moogles and their kupos, but how do you guys feel about Jack Frost's, Hee Hos!
It feels more natural to me.

semisonic

Banned
But i could use that money for other games or even spend no money or get it cheaper at a local vidya game store.

Just make your own tho.

how could you possibly get it for cheaper than 90 cents
unless you meant in terms of local anime stores
in which case as long as you try the game that's fine
Look, tomorrow I'm starting my run of 1. I'll let you know how it is and definitively whether to get it or not. K?

Let me know if you ever get to Verdict day
on 360
Mechaweek's got me hankerin for some robuts
and it's all i've got T_T

Might pick up 4 answer tho if it's significantly better than vd
No 360 on my end, and if I get one, it'll probably be for something else.

Though I will say just systems, aesthetics, and content wise I prefer Verdict Day as it's an attempt at moving back to old style of AC as opposed to what Miyazaki made with 4/4A. It just sucks the multiplayer component is so heavily tied to playing the damn thing.

No, I think it was one of the more recent times we were posting about food. People practically insulting other's tastes in food. Put me off ever wanting to talk about food in here.

I can't imagine caring that much about food.

For the record, I'm just shitting on dubs as a joke. I don't actually think less of anyone for liking them.

Zenfalcia

how could you possibly get it for cheaper than 90 cents
unless you meant in terms of local anime stores
in which case as long as you try the game that's fine
Look, tomorrow I'm starting my run of 1. I'll let you know how it is and definitively whether to get it or not. K?
yes, local anime stores.
No, I think it was one of the more recent times we were posting about food. People practically insulting other's tastes in food. Put me off ever wanting to talk about food in here.
Your taste in food is terrible.

Top Bottom