• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

Arrow is the exact type of problem I had with Amazing Spider Man. Andrew Garfield plays a fantastic wise cracking Spider Man, but as Peter Parker he's bullshit. Peter isn't supposed to be a hot guy.

Beloved

On a previous forum, a bunch of guys would gush and circle jerk about Arrow and got really salty and defensive when I pointed out how that show comes across.

But they marketed it so strongly as a fantasy drama thing aimed at hooking in girls wanting to see the brooding half naked guy playing with his arrow. They may as well have had him wearing a flowing wig of hair and change his name to Fabio.

It's ridiculous.

That picture literally looks like it would fit right in here:

novel-giveaway.jpg

^ Those are all romance novels

Okingjrr

On a previous forum, a bunch of guys would gush and circle jerk about Arrow and got really salty and defensive when I pointed out how that show comes across.

But they marketed it so strongly as a fantasy drama thing aimed at hooking in girls wanting to see the brooding half naked guy playing with his arrow. They may as well have had him wearing a flowing wig of hair and change his name to Fabio.

It's ridiculous.
This first season was basically that. They marketed it hard for that general audience. I just wanted to watch a superhero show at the time and thought it would pick up, it kinda did.

Who won hunger games and did anything hilarious happen?
I was killed by Rizzi's australian spider venom on the first day.

Xiraiya

tumblr_mkn290WPkc1rfqsk0o1_500.gif

One of the raddest characters in Gundam 00, just a regular cool guy who said fuck the main character power rules and fought them anyway to get good.

Goddamn it. Which gundam series should I watch.

The UC universe is great. I'm watching it in chronological order, though you can go with release order as the differences are pretty minor, but the side stuff is before zeta.

Mobile Suit Gundam (September, UC0079) (recommend watching the movie trilogy instead as it cuts out the filler from the series)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (October, UC0079)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (December, UC0079)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (UC0083)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (UC0087)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (UC0093)
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (UC0096)

Xiraiya

One of my favorite character types in anything is where you have a bunch of gifted main characters or special people that are fundamentally superior in a way that can't really be mimicked, Gundam pilots, Saiyans etc. etc. and then you have this one guy who may as well be called something like "Generic soldier" and he is basically like "Fuck you, I'll keep up with you anyway" and has the kind of dedication and mindset where he can hold his own in a situation where he is VERY clearly outmatched in every sense but through sheer Willpower he is surviving and is basically being a total BAMF, so then it makes you think like "If he had the same benefits as these stronger guys, he would be terrifyingly strong compared to them"

Bardock in DBZ was a bit like that in the first movie, all of Frieza's minions were outmatching him but he was trying so hard and fighting so cleverly and growing at insane speeds because of his recklessness that it just looked so awesome.

Black Star in Soul Eater was a bit similar in the sense he was basically a Naruto character type but done much better, and he was a total badass because his dream to surpass God was so strong that it pushed him to grow rapidly.

So guys... errr... I've never watched anything Gundam ever. What should I watch?

EDIT: I POSTED BEFORE I REFRESHED. I SEE A DECENT LIST ABOVE.

One of my favorite character types in anything is where you have a bunch of gifted main characters or special people that are fundamentally superior in a way that can't really be mimicked, Gundam pilots, Saiyans etc. etc. and then you have this one guy who may as well be called something like "Generic soldier" and he is basically like "Fuck you, I'll keep up with you anyway" and has the kind of dedication and mindset where he can hold his own in a situation where he is VERY clearly outmatched in every sense but through sheer Willpower he is surviving and is basically being a total BAMF.

Bardock in DBZ was a bit like that in the first movie, all of Frieza's minions were outmatching him but he was trying so hard and fighting so cleverly and growing at insane speeds because of his recklessness that it just looked so awesome.

Black Star in Soul Eater was a bit similar in the sense he was basically a Naruto character type but done much better, and he was a total badass because of his dream to surpass God was so strong it pushed him to grow rapidly.
Totally agreed. Lady in DMC 3 is another one I like.

So this year in film we get:

New Star Wars
New James Bond.
New Avengers
New (And hopefully final) Fast and the Furious
New Jurassic Park
New Fantastic Four (Bar is set pretty low here)

Plus all the smaller indie films we don't even know about yet

Laputa_94

The UC universe is great. I'm watching it in chronological order, though you can go with release order as the differences are pretty minor, but the side stuff is before zeta.

Mobile Suit Gundam (September, UC0079) (recommend watching the movie trilogy instead as it cuts out the filler from the series)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (October, UC0079)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (December, UC0079)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (UC0083)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (UC0087)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (UC0093)
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (UC0096)

You forget to include the mediocre story of our time Double Zeta.

Top Bottom