• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

The game might not have the same level of freedom that HM1 has, but it definitely has the same level of hecticness.
I've been baiting and going through methodologically, but you can get some sparks of mayhem. Just seeing what the level designer intended feeling like I'm set on a path with a lot of character, or for some awful levels, just taking potshots.

The biggest example of the freedom thing was
the mission where the front door has a knife guy, a pipe guy, and behind them are a patrolling shotgun guy and fat guy. No real cover. You gotta kill knife and pipe guy, take the knife, throw it at gun guy at the right time, shoot black guy.

There's basically one solution.

I've only done one war mission, but I don't mind the lack of ammo. I mostly just used the bullets to lure enemies towards me, then switch to the knife and got high combos.

What I hate are all the fans except Tony and the detective.

Not even the bear?

Don't worry the 3rd war mission is the worst part of the whole game

I've been baiting and going through methodologically, but you can get some sparks of mayhem. Just seeing what the level designer intended feeling like I'm set on a path with a lot of character, or for some awful levels, just taking potshots.

the mission where the front door has a knife guy, a pipe guy, and behind them are a patrolling shotgun guy and fat guy. No real cover. You gotta kill knife and pipe guy, take the knife, throw it at gun guy at the right time, shoot black guy.

I'm still shocked that section even exists

I've only done one war mission, but I don't mind the lack of ammo. I mostly just used the bullets to lure enemies towards me, then switch to the knife and got high combos.

What I hate are all the fans except Tony and the detective.

Really? I actually like a lot of the characters in the game.
That last level in HLM2 is some cool fucking bullshit though.

It's trippy as fuck. The cool part is that
this is what The Son saw when he killed The Fans in that level.

sjay1994

Not even the bear?

Don't worry the 3rd war mission is the worst part of the whole game

I'm still shocked that section even exists

I don't like shooting guns, since I can't aim them properly with a controller. I can A+ levels with tony since I can rack up high combos.

I don't like shooting guns, since I can't aim them properly with a controller. I can A+ levels with tony since I can rack up high combos.

I didn't like shooting either but I loved playing the bear for some reason. Still mad they took out the feature were he could choke slam dogs

Yes, there are some levels that have one set path and yes there are some scenarios that only have one solution, but that only happens a few times. HM1 had that too. For the most part, the only thing that's forcing you to bait and go through methodologically is you.

mike0dude

giphy.gif

Yes, there are some levels that have one set path and yes there are some scenarios that only have one solution, but that only happens a few times. HM1 had that too. For the most part, the only thing that's forcing you to bait and go through methodologically is you.
Yup, but it just seems discouraged to go balls out with open level design and lots of ranged enemies that can extend past your sight.

Note I'm criticizing, but I'm more with you overall, I do really like the game still.
Tony is the best.
Tony dabes.
I like the idea where you have to execute some people before you start going crazy. What I don't like is when it resets when you die
I just hit everyone with a mothafuckin bat

demidar

The final level in HM2 was the fucking coolest.

But I do have gripes about the game, even if I really enjoyed it. They need to really drag the camera back, I just feel like I don't have enough visibility and I don't appreciate having to zoom down long hallways all the time.

I don't have any issues with targeting, and I don't use lock-on either.

War missions need to give way more ammo.

The Writer's gimmick is such a cool mechanic, disable and disarm and you get bonus points for doing that.

But I do have gripes about the game, even if I really enjoyed it. They need to really drag the camera back, I just feel like I don't have enough visibility and I don't appreciate having to zoom down long hallways all the time.

I don't have any issues with targeting, and I don't use lock-on either.

War missions need to give way more ammo.

The Writer's gimmick is such a cool mechanic, disable and disarm and you get bonus points for doing that.
I totally agree on every point
But there head doesn't explode when you do that
You're like
book-writing
Batman tho

Yup, but it just seems discouraged to go balls out with open level design and lots of ranged enemies that can extend past your sight.

Note I'm criticizing, but I'm more with you overall, I do really like the game still.

I understand. That's how I played too. Then I tried doing that shit in hard mode and it does not work. Hard Mode basically forces you to play the game in frantic mode. Now I understand how to play the game. They really need to pull back the camera, though.

I agree with all of this. Now, go play hard mode.

mrmyhthef

I didn't realise you could go into rage mode as the writer until after I beat the game. I was wondering why this non-lethal guy could just pound dudes' heads into paste.

beat Skyward Sword
now Ganondorf popping out of nowhere every game makes sense
still need a game to explain hyrule being created though, even if it was implied in the ending

Ilvocare

So I realized I'm gonna have to roll with Rise in the next bit of Ultimax.

Imagine my surprise when I explored exactly how much depth had gone into her rhythm super.

C, D, and C+D each equate to their own song. In addition, each song has three sections accessible by landing the super corresponding to that song AGAIN.

Meaning Pursuing My True Self and Shadow World actually have the entire short opening playable in rhythm game form in Ultimax. (and that other song too)

Fucking rad.

So I realized I'm gonna have to roll with Rise in the next bit of Ultimax.

Imagine my surprise when I explored exactly how much depth had gone into her rhythm super.

C, D, and C+D each equate to their own song. In addition, each song has three sections accessible by landing the super corresponding to that song AGAIN.

Meaning Pursuing My True Self and Shadow World actually have the entire short opening playable in rhythm game form in Ultimax. (and that other song too)

Fucking rad.

And it does tons of damage. And it's long as fuck.

Finally started P3 FES tonight. Got about 5 floors into Tartarus before I ended the stream. Gonna really try to push it hard tomorrow and this weekend to get as far as I possibly can before Type 0 comes out. I'm enjoying it so far, and the lack of ally control doesn't seem too detrimental yet but I have heard nightmares about MARIN KARIN or however it's spelled.

360pages

Not controlling you party might seem like a novel idea. But there is a reason why most RPGs allow you control your party. Even real time RPGs usually allow you to select their actions most of the time.

The only downside I can see about it in the future is potentially having the MC get one blasted by one enemy then killed by another without giving me a chance to heal.

Not controlling you party might seem like a novel idea. But there is a reason why most RPGs allow you control your party. Even real time RPGs usually allow you to select their actions most of the time.
They stated the reason to be
to simulate that you as the player are the protagonist, and the party are their own people, and you gain access to more party commands as you gain the trust of your team through your encounters.

to simulate that you as the player are the protagonist, and the party are their own people, and you gain access to more party commands as you gain the trust of your team through your encounters.

Neat idea in theory, but they need to balance the game around that to really make it work.

Neat idea in theory, but they need to balance the game around that to really make it work.
The only downside I can see about it in the future is potentially having the MC get one blasted by one enemy then killed by another without giving me a chance to heal.
Things don't really target the MC that much, but you gain the Heal/Support party command later and it's rad. The game is roughly balanced to be able to be solo'd by the protag. It's difficult, but I never found it unfair outside of RNGsus taking the wheel like any SMT game.

Ah well, should be fun regardless! I forgot to link you guys tonight when I started streaming it but I'll try to remember tomorrow since I know you guys like watching people play stuff for the first time.

360pages

That is a decent narrative reason, I really don't see the reason for it though. Since I don't think it makes the game stronger, and in fact that it ha more to lose than gain with the change.

demidar

While I understand what they are trying to go for, AI is almost always shitty and can't respond to as many different situations as a person can.

Trust AI lawl.

Top Bottom