• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

No one plays zelda for the story, because story is not what zelda is good at.
Wind Waker's great. Majora's is great.
Fun, charm, and in Aaron's case the worst girl, Lana
It's so intangible as a thing though. Like, every incarnation makes good strides in terms of changing the aesthetic, characters, and setting to something cool, they always play ok, and the level design generally is alright, but 3D Zelda is something I can't think of how to fix or what I want from it, despite generally enjoying it.

I haven't even played Skyward Sword or Spirit Tracks because I just don't care.

semisonic

Banned
I have no problems with lana being in Hyrule Warriors

She kind of feels like a self insert fanfiction character into the zelda universe. And not a super well written one.
"Oh I can't decide whether to make myself the hero, or the villain. How about both, because this is my story and I'll write it how I like!"

semisonic

Banned
Wind Waker's great. Majora's is great.

It's so intangible as a thing though. Like, every incarnation makes good strides in terms of changing the aesthetic, characters, and setting to something cool, they always play ok, and the level design generally is alright, but 3D Zelda is something I can't think of how to fix or what I want from it, despite generally enjoying it.

I haven't even played Skyward Sword or Spirit Tracks because I just don't care.

I know this. I wrote a paper on this, and could link you another one.
And midna is the best and her story is interesting and SS zelda actually had tangible personality.

Zelda's story can be great. But it is not a story based game. If you get a good story, that's a bonus, not a given.
As to the games you skipped, although it's still not a bad game, skyward sword is the one to skip if you want to skip any 3d zeldas. Spirit tracks sucked ass, but gave us that Smash remix, so it's fine.

semisonic

Banned
It's perfectly fine to criticize the game for any plot beats to tries to accomplish and fails.

Yeah, sure. But when it comes to it's appeal as a series, it does not lie primarily in story. So what I mean is that when you're buying a zelda game, you're not buying it for the story like you would a witcher game, or a teltale game, or whatever you choice of example is. It is perfectly acceptable to criticize a failed plot beat. But it's not nearly as unforgivable in the scheme of things as shitting the bed on level design or having shitty music or sound design, as these are what the zelda series is known for.

I like Lana. :<

agDF6Bo.gif

I do too.

Skrams

I do too.

Remind me since I don't know if you've clarified. Do you like the design or do you like both the design and the character? I've played little Hyrule Warriors so I haven't seen if her character gets worse. I don't have much problem with her typical anime girl design either, but also I'm not super attached to Zelda. Hyrule Warriors is also a crazy game already so whatever.

Remind me since I don't know if you've clarified. Do you like the design or do you like both the design and the character? I've played little Hyrule Warriors so I haven't seen if her character gets worse. I don't have much problem with her typical anime girl design either, but also I'm not super attached to Zelda. Hyrule Warriors is also a crazy game already so whatever.

I've never played it, so it's just design and the fact that she does idol dances.

Ilvocare

Alright, it's almost fo' in da moanin'. I think I've made enough progress in Ultimax for now. I realize I'm basically making my progress through the game much slower than it needs to be by playing the Story matches on Risky without Auto Mode, but I legit feel good when I manage to squeak a victory by with someone I barely use like Labrys.

Also whenever a character appears in the story I'm inclined to try and do more or less their first 20 challenges. Oddly enough my mains have the least amount of challenges done individually. I feel like I should get better at the game so that jump-canceling into midair normals feels more natural.

EDIT: Also I watched Mystery Box #003.

Holy shit.

That is all.

Skrams

I've never played it, so it's just design and the fact that she does idol dances.

I'll be honest and say I was fishing for this answer. I didn't think you had a Wii U and it only clicked now so I decided to ask if you liked her just because animeeeee or whatever japanese thing. At least you were upfront about why you like her.

Never change your avatar.

Your comments combined with that thing are just too perfect.

Also yeah, pretty much. Now I'm also questioning if you've even played much Hyperdimension Neptunia stuff because the more I hear about that the series the more it's plagued with mehs and blehs.

I feel bad that I never played Parasite Eve. It looks awesome.

5501BE9F3628380029

LAAAAAWD If that isn't some DMC3 Virgil level shit.

Bloodborne why are you so fucking good.

semisonic

Banned
I'll be honest and say I was fishing for this answer. I didn't think you had a Wii U and it only clicked now so I decided to ask if you liked her just because animeeeee or whatever japanese thing. At least you were upfront about why you like her.

Also yeah, pretty much. Now I'm also questioning if you've even played much Hyperdimension Neptunia stuff because the more I hear about that the series the more it's plagued with mehs and blehs.

Yeah but if tonight's taught me anything so is goddamn zelda. It's fine.
I'm still kinda salt.

Skrams

Then what the fuck Aaron. Go buy Hyrule Warriors.

Yeah but if tonight's taught me anything so is goddamn zelda. It's fine.
I'm still kinda salt.

I've accepted every single one of you here has terrible opinions and hates video games so it's fine.

Also Zelda is good, but I've never gotten into it as hard as others. I should buy Majoras Mask 3D and finally play the game.

I'm guessing you are getting the new one.

They all look like weeb trash to me

Hyperdevotion Noire is a tactical game and I want it desperately.

I have a Wii U. I just don't like Musou, then heard nothing about Lana other than how she's trash, then saw her doing anime dances and was like yooooo.

I've played all the Neptunia games. I hate them and love them at the same time.

semisonic

Banned
Then what the fuck Aaron. Go buy Hyrule Warriors.

I've accepted every single one of you here has terrible opinions and hates video games so it's fine.

Also Zelda is good, but I've never gotten into it as hard as others. I should buy Majoras Mask 3D and finally play the game.
He really should. It's pretty good.
And I think that, maybe because I've been playing them since before I could read, I might be into Zelda harder than anyone but Mathaou. Displayed above is a sterling example of why I don't dare go out into the scary world of /gaming. Because I would get banned in a second every time a nintendoomed thread comes on. I can handles individual people shitting on the things I love but when there's the banding together without someone to defend it I get super salt and have to aggressively rebut.
It's a problem I know I have. But jeez, I never knew how many people hated these largely beloved things that I too partake in until I got here. I'm not happier for the knowledge.

Zelda 1 is the first game I ever played and ever beat. It's probably my second favorite franchise after Resident Evil. I just don't take it too seriously and I also am extremely easy to please when it comes to Japanese bullshit. As in I have next to no standards.

semisonic

Banned
Can't stop, won't stop. Also Pat seems to get whole series spoiled for him for some reason... Does he intentionally read them up or does someone just talk about it not caring about spoilers?

No.

Oh people give no fucks.
I got largely spoiled on 3 and 4 without trying, right now only one and two are safe for me.

Top Bottom