• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

KyleCross

Sorry for being off topic, but do you guys know a good place to ask people who know their animes real well to identify one? I saw it a long time ago and I can't remember the name of it. I just remember one really screwed up scene in which a boy finally finds his friend but she's just a head and torso hooked up in a tank which causes him to vomit, he then has to strangle her to death to put her out of her misery. I remember it being on one of the on-demand services on cable. Frankly I've forgotten everything else about it and I want to see it again so I can get some more context than just that f-ed up scene burned into my memory.

Zenfalcia

Is mobileGAF shitting itself again or do you really have twice the amount of posts as the runner up?
Nah, I have most.
Sorry for being off topic, but do you guys know a good place to ask people who know their animes real well to identify one? I saw it a long time ago and I can't remember the name of it. I just remember one really screwed up scene in which a boy finally finds his friend but she's just a head and torso hooked up in a tank which causes him to vomit, he then has to strangle her to death to put her out of her misery. I remember it being on one of the on-demand services on cable. Frankly I've forgotten everything else about it and I want to see it again so I can get some more context than just that f-ed up scene burned into my memory.
Huh... that's pretty graphic. Was it dubbed or subbed? Do you know about anything else about it? Like story or anything?

Ants

BestGAF is probably not-insignificantly good at that sort of thing, but if you remember the features of these characters, this isn't the worst place to start.

KyleCross

BlandDescriptiveAdder.gif

Right?! This shit has been burned into my head for like a decade.
Huh... that's pretty graphic. Was it dubbed or subbed?
Completely dubbed. And yes, it was quite graphic, first off the girl is exposed and they even show the puke.

demidar

BestGAF is probably not-insignificantly good at that sort of thing, but if you remember the features of these characters, this isn't the worst place to start.

I like how the age selector is "Apparent age". It's more useful for identification than actual age but I still laughed.

Numb

iC0kXkmoBnD2e.gif

Ants

Is it the anime adaptation of
Arc the Lad
?

From TVTropes' page on Mercy Kill

In the anime series spinoff of Arc The Lad, the hero Elk encounters his long lost childhood friend, changed into a barely sentient womb for the terrible monsters the bad guys are using as mooks. He strangles her to end her suffering.

KyleCross

So I'm going through TVtropes and I found it. It's Arc the Lad. I always thought it was but I could never find reference to the scene when I googled.

EDIT: LOL Ants, looks like we were on the same page.

Zenfalcia

So I'm going through TVtropes and I found it. It's Arc the Lad. I always thought it was but I could never find reference to the scene when I googled.

EDIT: LOL Ants, looks like we were on the same page.
Maybe try skimming through the anime and see if it's there or not.

This USB N64 controller is awesome. But, it was a cruel reminder that the N64 controller is one of the worst things ever made.

Why the fuck is the L-Button right there!?

Skrams

This USB N64 controller is awesome. But, it was a cruel reminder that the N64 controller is one of the worst things ever made.

You don't like the decision of an analog stick with Z or a dpad and L? How dare you.

Also what the fuck Arc the Lad. That shit is based off a game. I just assumed that shit was an RPG or something and not this fucked shit.

Also I decided to read the underwater sea monsters arc of One Punch Man again while listening to the theme because licenseless rider. I want the anime to be good. I really do.

Ants

Yeah, I feel kind of bad for spoiling the title of it, since that sounds like some intense shit to be in a JRPG. But the PSX era had a fair amount of that sort of thing, so I'd believe it's in there somewhere.

KyleCross

So... how are the Arc the Lad games anyways? Always heard the name but actually never really heard much of the games themselves.
Yeah, I feel kind of bad for spoiling the title of it, since that sounds like some intense shit to be in a JRPG. But the PSX era had a fair amount of that sort of thing, so I'd believe it's in there somewhere.
Eh, it might be an anime only thing.

Zenfalcia

Eh, they put a lot of dramatic gravitas on the scene. It's clearly SUPPOSED to be horrible.
It tried.

Because... REASONS.
It's fine.. probably.. I've never even heard of it until now.

Ants

I've heard it mentioned by name a couple times (in fact, I'm pretty sure Pat brought it up once, but I think it was to the effect of "No one fucking remembers Arc the Lad"), but likewise don't know anything about it.

EDIT: I remember now! It was mentioned in Barkley, the gas station pump save station thing brings it up the first time you encounter it.

I hope it's Migi and not Gotou, but the preview from next week shows Gotou so I don't know.

My guess is that Migi is absorbed into Gotou and either a) Shinichi will absorb him back into himself or b) Migi will take over Gotou's body.

You don't like the decision of an analog stick with Z or a dpad and L? How dare you.

It's just the fucking worst. The buttons are great and I don't even mind the stick, but the fuck is up with this layout?! I don't understand!

Zenfalcia

I've heard it mentioned by name a couple times (in fact, I'm pretty sure Pat brought it up once, but I think it was to the effect of "No one fucking remembers Arc the Lad"), but likewise don't know anything about it.

EDIT: I remember now! It was mentioned in Barkley, the gas station pump save station thing brings it up the first time you encounter it.
That's a pretty good memory you got there.

Skrams

My guess is that Migi is absorbed into Gotou and either a) Shinichi will absorb him back into himself or b) Migi will take over Gotou's body.

It's just the fucking worst. The buttons are great and I don't even mind the stick, but the fuck is up with this layout?! I don't understand!

Parasyte Spoilers-
That sounds like a good guess. Gotou was in a state of distress and trying to put himself back together. If Migi was absorbed into him as another parasite then that would make sense. I'd like to see it do B. I'd like a FMA situation where our protag is just armless. I sometimes like it more because it still has a sense of loss, but isn't as expected as death. Also we have to see what Shinichi and Migi's dreams mean for the real world. I assume Migi taking over Gotou could lead to that with body restructuring. As far as Shinichi looks in his dream? Not sure how they'd address it.

Also it's fineeeee. People love not having access to all the buttons on the controller for games immediately. It's a fineeeee decision. Absolutely fineeeeeeeeee.

Anyone watching Steven Universe? Last night's episode was a doosy.

My friend keeps trying to get me to watch it but there are two problems with that.

1. I don't like American cartoons.
2. He tries to get me to watch it by saying it's more hype than Gurren Lagann, which fills me with spiteful rage.

My friend keeps trying to get me to watch it but there are two problems with that.

2. He tries to get me to watch it by saying it's more hype than Gurren Lagann, which fills me with spiteful rage.

There are hype moments but the pacing is way different from Gurren. He's insane. Ignore that, he's an idiot. Like I'm a fan and I think that's an absurd position.

croten

If someone tells me something is better than Gurren I wont think "wow I have to see this!" I think more along the lines of "Fuck you it's terrible and you have no taste"

If someone tells me something is better than Gurren I wont think "wow I have to see this!" I think more along the lines of "Fuck you it's terrible and you have no taste"

He mainly does it to spite me since I didn't really like Eureka 7 when it's one of his favorites.

Ah man, getting 1 hour of sleep and waking up feeling fully refreshed is the worst. Now I can't get back to sleep and it's gonna screw my sleep schedule up. >.<

People who think it's implausible that Frieza could get so powerful need to remember where Goku was at the beginning of DBZ

After seeing the logic for his power up, I actually like it. Don't really care if other people do.

Yep. On one hand you feel great, but the other you know that it's going to suck later.

Hopefully the P3 hype later tonight will keep me up. Maybe I should spend this morning getting back to MH4U.

Top Bottom