• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

Can I do that on my phone some how?
No. I'm sure you can macgyver out a computer in no time.
tumblr_lztc54ZoyW1qiak3ao1_400.gif

Ilvocare

Big boss man
is the worst boss I've ever seen in a video game. I'm really unfamiliar with Arcsys bosses outside of Ultimax and Xrd, but they have to be waaaay better than this.

Yeah, he could have been better. I wouldn't say worst boss in video games ever. You might have a point if the discussion is purely on fighting games. I died like 15 times against him until I realized that if I perfect guard his one big multi-hit attack then I could Super my way to victory.

Feedback as to whether you were hitting him correctly would also have helped.

Ilvocare

YES

Epilogue is done, and I've spent the appropriate amount of time trying to figure out what the fuck Yumi Kawamura was saying in "Today."

I can go online now!

They should just move on from fighting games in general. Move on to what the cool kids are playing like F2P anime rhythm games.

That's the natural movement of gaming. We should all just accept it, and move on.

Also, fuck this, I'm going to put myself to sleep now. This headache may go away with some sleep inducing medicine and beautiful darkness.

So I spent 7 hours playing Star Ocean 4 today for the first time in a few years, here is my quick thoughts on the PS3 re-release.
The graphics have gotten a nice upgrade but the frame rate can shit the bed when too much anime happens at once in battles. The gameplay is still great and the addition of manual target select is very nice even but they mapped it to the start button for some reason and that is weird. general movement in the field feels pretty janky but when you actually enter combat it feels much better. The story has not gotten to the ridiculous levels that it gets to so I don't have any criticisms towards that just yet.

The biggest improvement so far is the inclusion of the Japanese audio track. I'm not at the levels or Aaron when it comes to dubs and I know there are good dubs out there but even when I first played the game near release I knew the English tracks were trash and members of the main party were painful to listen to. Lymle, Sarah and Welch were particularly rough which was unfortunate because Sarah is built as a healing character and Lymle was my best mage. Almost everything sounds more natural in Japanese and two of the people whom i had the biggest issues with seem to be much improved. Lymle is still the generic monotone loli but I feel the trope works much better in Japanese opposed to the...thing that we got in the original release. Welch has actually been toned down significantly from what I have heard of her so far, compared to Laura Bailey's ear drum piercing performance.

End of a long day, thankfully the last thing I had was just going to the fighting game club. Although fighting games weren't so much the focus as it was watching TAS speedruns of Brain Age and Family Feud for the SNES, getting salty in Puyo Puyo Tetris, and constantly ripping on one guy in our group just to make him super salty (and because he kicks everyone's asses in Puyo Puyo Tetris).

And it was all so good.

So I spent 7 hours playing Star Ocean 4 today for the first time in a few years, here is my quick thoughts on the PS3 re-release.
The graphics have gotten a nice upgrade but the frame rate can shit the bed when too much anime happens at once in battles. The gameplay is still great and the addition of manual target select is very nice even but they mapped it to the start button for some reason and that is weird. general movement in the field feels pretty janky but when you actually enter combat it feels much better. The story has not gotten to the ridiculous levels that it gets to so I don't have any criticisms towards that just yet.

The biggest improvement so far is the inclusion of the Japanese audio track. I'm not at the levels or Aaron when it comes to dubs and I know there are good dubs out there but even when I first played the game near release I knew the English tracks were trash and members of the main party were painful to listen to. Lymle, Sarah and Welch were particularly rough which was unfortunate because Sarah is built as a healing character and Lymle was my best mage. Almost everything sounds more natural in Japanese and two of the people whom i had the biggest issues with seem to be much improved. Lymle is still the generic monotone loli but I feel the trope works much better in Japanese opposed to the...thing that we got in the original release. Welch has actually been toned down significantly from what I have heard of her so far, compared to Laura Bailey's ear drum piercing performance.
Do I need to play 1-3 in order to jump in to 4?

End of a long day, thankfully the last thing I had was just going to the fighting game club. Although fighting games weren't so much the focus as it was watching TAS speedruns of Brain Age and Family Feud for the SNES, getting salty in Puyo Puyo Tetris, and constantly ripping on one guy in our group just to make him super salty (and because he kicks everyone's asses in Puyo Puyo Tetris).
And it was all so good.

Evey group needs the whipping boy who gets salty really easily. Even better when they're super competent at something so you can defuse them if things get hairy

So I just came back from an expidition and I dont really understand what the Guildmarm told me to do, do I go to the gathering hall for my next quest?

It's Zed here. I play that role in my group of friends though, mostly for fun.
Hey I take offense to that! also what am i super competent at?

Top Bottom