• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have actual ADD or take medication then sure. I'd hope people aren't just self diagnosing themselves with it and throwing the term around like it means nothing. I'm largely ignorant on ADD or ADHD and how it truely effects people, but eh. I figure it's more self inflicted these days with all the outlets we have and things we can be doing at once. People can't learn to have a little restraint and feel the need to do multiple things at once because reasons. I've had the problem before of listening to podcasts during games when I should of just been listening to the actual audio. I did this with Super Mario Galaxy 2 because I was dumb. Nowadays I focus entirely on a thing because I don't want to be distracted at all. The amount of times I'm watching something and hear a steam beep can become real grating. I can't imagine watching a finale to a show and pausing it constantly to do other things or watching it on one monitor and doing something on the other. I'd only do this for a show I'm disinterested in or something I find super junkfoody as a show. I did this a lot with Case Closed/Detective Conan since that shit is long and it's a minimystery show so whatever.

Man, I just want people to enjoy things.
I was half joking, using it as an excuse like how a lot of people do.
But I've exhibited symptoms since I was young and have a lot of family history. I realize that's probably insensitive to people who have severe cases, my dad has it diagnosed and was prescribed stuff that he decided wasn't worth how it affected his personality, and I honestly do the exact same stuff, except he has the Hyperactive part.

TL;DR, I have some mild ADD.

Skrams

Basically you get distracted easily and cannot focus on one task. there's more to it than that, but it's the gist of it.

But people enjoy things differently.... >_>

Well, duh. I know the textbook definition of it. I meant the more in depth thing from a person who actually suffers from it hard. The people I've met in the past who actually take medicine for it become much calmer and slower when taking it, but I don't really know what their brain is like normally. Normally, they usually just seem fine, so I never get the point of the medicine. I assume it's just needed when they have to apply themselves to something.

Also yeah, I guess that was a dumb thing to say sort of. I just find it hard to view from the angle of a person watching a Gurren Lagann and then playing some handheld game at the same time. It just hurts my soul a bit. I get people enjoy things differently, but to me it feels like they're enjoying it less than they could.

I was half joking, using it as an excuse like how a lot of people do.
But I've exhibited symptoms since I was young and have a lot of family history. I realize that's probably insensitive to people who have severe cases, my dad has it diagnosed and was prescribed stuff that he decided wasn't worth how it affected his personality, and I honestly do the exact same stuff, except he has the Hyperactive part.

TL;DR, I have some mild ADD.

Yeah, I assumed it was mostly a joke, but chose to respond semiseriously anyway. I imagine there's a lot of people who technically suffer from it, but just haven't been treated since they never go to the doctor for it. That seems to be why you hear so much more about people having it today than only 10-20 years ago. Always felt like people should just be themselves and deal with it rather than take a drug and deal with the weird personality shift. When a shitty church school wanted to put my brother on ritalin for dumb reasons I just think nah. Knew a guy who just stopped taking some meds he was given when younger after so long and he wound up fine. It's a case by case thing, but it just makes me think there's some people given it without good reason sometimes.

Also yeah, I guess that was a dumb thing to say sort of. I just find it hard to view from the angle of a person watching a Gurren Lagann and then playing some handheld game at the same time. It just hurts my soul a bit. I get people enjoy things differently, but to me it feels like they're enjoying it less than they could.
Some things actually grab my attention, and they actually become my sole hyperfocus where I shut out everything else entirely. Video games are my jam partially because being immersed is one of the few ways I get to apply myself with undivided attention.

Programming is the same thing where I end up just going right at an assignment for like 12 hours straight sometimes, but other times I don't get hyperfocused I just keep opening tabs till I have like 75 tabs.

Zenfalcia

Well, duh. I know the textbook definition of it. I meant the more in depth thing from a person who actually suffers from it hard. The people I've met in the past who actually take medicine for it become much calmer and slower when taking it, but I don't really know what their brain is like normally. Normally, they usually just seem fine, so I never get the point of the medicine. I assume it's just needed when they have to apply themselves to something.

They're usually fine in a social situation since they're doing something, but in situations of sitting still or working at one task, they have trouble. This is my understanding of it. The medicine just helps them focus, normal people with no problems also take it for the benefits of focusing on a task like study or an assignment.

You feel like they aren't enjoying it "fully". That's okay.

LOL I'm reading parenting advice for kids with ADD
It is helpful for parents to set firm time limits around “escapist” activities in which their children tend to hyperfocus. Common “escapist” activities for children may include television, video games, or computer use. Sit down with your child, discuss the issue, and together come up with predetermined time limits.
Adults may also escape into television, video or computer games. In addition, they may become absorbed in online chat groups and forums. Try to limit your time participating in activities that exclude you from the outside world. Figure out a predetermined amount of time to engage in the activity, and stick to it.

Yeah, I assumed it was mostly a joke, but chose to respond semiseriously anyway. I imagine there's a lot of people who technically suffer from it, but just haven't been treated since they never go to the doctor for it. That seems to be why you hear so much more about people having it today than only 10-20 years ago. Always felt like people should just be themselves and deal with it rather than take a drug and deal with the weird personality shift. When a shitty church school wanted to put my brother on ritalin for dumb reasons I just think nah. Knew a guy who just stopped taking some meds he was given when younger after so long and he wound up fine. It's a case by case thing, but it just makes me think there's some people given it without good reason sometimes.
My dad chose to not keep taking the drug after awhile at the behest of my mom, but he said the ability to focus on work was addicting. Being able to focus on something by choice and just going for it. I'm sure there's some people worse than him, but man he's bad sometimes lol

He's mostly just getting into politics as an outlet for the desire to do a bajillion things at once.

Skrams

Some things actually grab my attention, and they actually become my sole hyperfocus where I shut out everything else entirely. Video games are my jam partially because being immersed is one of the few ways I get to apply myself with undivided attention.

Programming is the same thing where I end up just going right at an assignment for like 12 hours straight sometimes, but other times I don't get hyperfocused I just keep opening tabs till I have like 75 tabs.

I have those periods too where I get really into something and become a machine completing it. Those times feel really good since the work becomes second nature and the work can become sort of calming.

I have little problem focusing on a video game or getting immersed usually. Same goes with television or movies when I pick the thing I'm going to watch. I wouldn't hold the same respect for something when I watched regular TV years ago though. I find most regular TV programming to be the equivalent of junk food.

They're usually fine in a social situation since they're doing something, but in situations of sitting still or working at one task, they have trouble. This is my understanding of it. The medicine just helps them focus, normal people with no problems also take it for the benefits of focusing on a task like study or an assignment.

You feel like they aren't enjoying it "fully". That's okay.
That's my understanding as well. Also yeah, I've heard plenty of people borrowing medicine from friends to do college assignments and all that. Also heard the opposite happened where the medicine acted like speed and sped up their thought processes instead of slowing them down. Forget if that was for Ritalin or not.

Everything is an escapism until you die. Think about dat shit.

Honestly I should probably be on some medication for it. I can't go five goddamn minutes without checking my phone, the thread, videos, writing an idea down, checking on amazon orders, twitter, and a billion other things. It's kind of become a problem in my life.

Zenfalcia

I have those periods too where I get really into something and become a machine completing it. Those times feel really good since the work becomes second nature and the work can become sort of calming.

I have little problem focusing on a video game or getting immersed usually. Same goes with television or movies when I pick the thing I'm going to watch. I wouldn't hold the same respect for something when I watched regular TV years ago though. I find most regular TV programming to be the equivalent of junk food.

That's my understanding as well. Also yeah, I've heard plenty of people borrowing medicine from friends to do college assignments and all that. Also heard the opposite happened where the medicine acted like speed and sped up their thought processes instead of slowing them down. Forget if that was for Ritalin or not.

It's great when you get into a groove, terrible when you don't feel it, but need to do it. It's usually easier with things you enjoy.

Really? I've never heard that, might be different medicines.

The real escapism is death if you really think about it.

They rarely happen in terms of my schoolwork unfortunately, i end up spending all day on 2 hour assignments because of distractions.

It took me like... 6 separate tries to get into Fate/Zero, it has like a slow 5 minutes at the start, and it was enough to distract me before I got to the hook 5 minutes in. Once something actually grabs me and im interested, it's fine. Gurren got me on episode 1.

TV is a weird exception where if I start watching I'm frozen in place until a commercial break. I can be walking through the room on my way to somewhere else and end up watching until a commercial. My dad is bad enough that he doesn't even sit down, he just stands where he stopped walking.

Also 2deep8me
Honestly I should probably be on some medication for it. I can't go five goddamn minutes without checking my phone, the thread, videos, writing an idea down, checking on amazon orders, twitter, and a billion other things. It's kind of become a problem in my life.
You just gotta be careful as fuck with that. Killing your personality with meds can be really bad, you'll want people you can trust around a lot if you start.

Zenfalcia

They rarely happen in terms of my schoolwork unfortunately, i end up spending all day on 2 hour assignments because of distractions.

It took me like... 6 separate tries to get into Fate/Zero, it has like a slow 5 minutes at the start, and it was enough to distract me before I got to the hook 5 minutes in. Once something actually grabs me and im interested, it's fine. Gurren got me on episode 1.

TV is a weird exception where if I start watching I'm frozen in place until a commercial break. I can be walking through the room on my way to somewhere else and end up watching until a commercial. My dad is bad enough that he doesn't even sit down, he just stands where he stopped walking.
Oh jeez, oh man.. >_> Hitting too close to home.

Oberon

Banned

This is too accurate. I personly don't think much of things like that. I mean, it's impossible for me to do one thing at the time. When I play video games, I have to watch a video on youtube at the same time, or listening to music while doing homework. I refuse to go to the toilet without anything to read or watch, and the other day I tried to play Valkyria chroniceles and FE: A at the same time.

Edit: At the same time, I get bored to death if I don't somehow participate in class.

Also 2deep8me
You just gotta be careful as fuck with that. Killing your personality with meds can be really bad, you'll want people you can trust around a lot if you start.

Anime subs are like my worst enemy. I have to concentrate on the subtitles, so I can't do anything other than watch the anime

Edit: At the same time, I get bored to death if I don't somehow participate in class.
I only could pay attention when the class subject was actually cool. AP Biology was neat, Physics was neat, some History was cool, Latin class? Clocked out. I learned it myself night before a test.

Anime subs are like my worst enemy. I have to concentrate on the subtitles, so I can't do anything other than watch the anime

I'm the same. It makes it hard to watch as much anime as I want to.

If only there was an acceptable way to watch them in my native language. But alas, I'll have to deal with reading.

Skrams

That's when I feel peoples low attention span has become a product of the society we're in. I was looking at my email the other day, opened something up to do a thing, and only hours later did I remember I opened it up when I accidentally alt tabbed back to it. I have 38 tabs currently open because I need to have these Monster Hunter kiranico tabs open. I need it. I also need to watch these youtube videos later so I have them open. There's a watch later button on youtube for a reason, but shut up. I'll just open a tab and forget until days later.
It's great when you get into a groove, terrible when you don't feel it, but need to do it. It's usually easier with things you enjoy.

Really? I've never heard that, might be different medicines.

The real escapism is death if you really think about it.

Yep, completely agree.

Yeah, I figured that was common knowledge, but dunno. That's why I figured it was ritalin since I don't think that's a thing given out anymore or it's for the worst cases.

And jeez, that's dark.

That just sounds like the worst thing as a normal habit. I usually give something an episode to try and give me a little hook. I can't find myself jumping out at 5 minutes into a well liked thing like Fate/Zero. I try to respect stuff enough to at least give it an episode before jumping out.

I think that's just how TV works for people. It's a visually stimulating thing going on and it easily distracts. Why else would they run a million episodes of Law and Order on every single station ever. Commercial breaks have become my fuck, what am I doing, fuck regular television thing since they remind me I'm watching this one hour thing with 15 minutes of commercials.

This is too accurate. I personly don't think much of things like that. I mean, it's impossible for me to do one thing at the time. When I play video games, I have to watch a video on youtube at the same time, or listening to music while doing homework. I refuse to go to the toilet without anything to read or watch, and the other day I tried to play Valkyria chroniceles and FE: A at the same time.

I designate some games as podcast games when they're really mundane things now, but I can't do that for every game. I find the act of listening to music/podcasts while doing homework fine since it's two separate things, eyes and ears. Looking from one screen to the other for two visually stimulating things? Nah. I do the toilet thing too, but that's because I take a while to poo or feel like I can comfortably leave the toilet. Two games at once, nope.

That's when I feel peoples low attention span has become a product of the society we're in. I was looking at my email the other day, opened something up to do a thing, and only hours later did I remember I opened it up when I accidentally alt tabbed back to it. I have 38 tabs currently open because I need to have these Monster Hunter kiranico tabs open. I need it. I also need to watch these youtube videos later so I have them open. There's a watch later button on youtube for a reason, but shut up. I'll just open a tab and forget until days later.

I've been like this my entire life, even before I had the internet. I just have trouble focusing on any one thing at any given time, regardless of what it is.

Ok, that I don't even get,
I leave shit up and forget about it or open like 6 or 7 looking for a doujin, but once you're done you're done.

This is 6,000+ at once. A single sitting. He did this multiple times.

He had a porn addiction and went to Sex Addicts Anonymous for it. I accompanied him for moral support. It was really fucking weird.

That just sounds like the worst thing as a normal habit. I usually give something an episode to try and give me a little hook. I can't find myself jumping out at 5 minutes into a well liked thing like Fate/Zero. I try to respect stuff enough to at least give it an episode before jumping out.

I think that's just how TV works for people. It's a visually stimulating thing going on and it easily distracts. Why else would they run a million episodes of Law and Order on every single station ever. Commercial breaks have become my fuck, what am I doing, fuck regular television thing since they remind me I'm watching this one hour thing with 15 minutes of commercials.
It's not intentional or anything, I just watch like 30 seconds, feel sorta bored, suddenly think about something else and check it. try to go back, still bored, check something else, etc etc, until I've paused it with the intent to come back and then completely forget when it becomes one of 40 tabs.

My parents watching netflix is terrible, I sit there the whole episode and never realize it till my 20-45 minutes is gone.

Oberon

Banned
I only could pay attention when the class subject was actually cool. AP Biology was neat, Physics was neat, some History was cool, Latin class? Clocked out. I learned it myself night before a test.

That's somthing I can't really afford to do, expecially with a subject I didn't pay any attention. I brain works in strage ways. For example, I have to take a walk, everytime I have to seriously think about somthing (mostly when I have to write a text). Which might be common, but when we're writing an exam, I can't just stand up and start walking around.

I'm the same. It makes it hard to watch as much anime as I want to.

If only there was an acceptable way to watch them in my native language. But alas, I'll have to deal with reading.

I tried to lower the volume of the anime, so I could listen to another video, while reading the subs, but that didn't work out well.

I'm typing this as I listen to music while trying to work on an assignment. >_>
While I have 25 tabs open.

Having the youtube front page open in 5 different tabes sure is usefull

This is 6,000+ at once. A single sitting. He did this multiple times.

He had a porn addiction and went to Sex Addicts Anonymous for it. I accompanied him for moral support. It was really fucking weird.
Ohhhh, well, I guess that makes some more sense. Internet porn would be the craziest drug ever for those people, I suppose.
That's somthing I can't really afford to do, expecially with a subject I didn't pay any attention. I brain works in strage ways. For example, I have to take a walk, everytime I have to seriously think about somthing (mostly when I have to write a text). Which might be common, but when we're writing an exam, I can't just stand up and start walking around.

If I'm not daydreaming about stuff instead, it's because going to church taught me the art of becoming a zombie to pass the time. I can stand and sit down on command without really being aware of what's happening.

Right!?

Ohhhh, well, I guess that makes some more sense. Internet porn would be the craziest drug ever for those people, I suppose.

One of the guys was like, smuggling little cutouts of porn into his luggage so he could look at it secretly. Another guy hooked up with a guy at his dad's funeral. Then one of the guys kept trying to hand me pamphlets and shake my hand.

That was a weird day.

Skrams

I've been like this my entire life, even before I had the internet. I just have trouble focusing on any one thing at any given time, regardless of what it is.
Understandable. All the examples you listed were just internet or having a phone in your pocket related so I just assumed.

It's not intentional or anything, I just watch like 30 seconds, feel sorta bored, suddenly think about something else and check it. try to go back, still bored, check something else, etc etc, until I've paused it with the intent to come back and then completely forget when it becomes one of 40 tabs.

My parents watching netflix is terrible, I sit there the whole episode and never realize it till my 20-45 minutes is gone.

Yeah, I didn't mean it was intentional. I just meant that it was a habit you do without really meaning to. I just can't tap out on something 30 seconds in if it's a show like Fate/Zero. I just have the opposite problem where I find things hard to start or I keep putting it off. I could watch some shit like a Madoka or Eva if I wanted, but I just don't feel like taking that first step at the moment. When I do I plan to commit usually.

Unless the thing is a bad show, I'd probably have that problem too. Just depends on the product.

Zenfalcia

I have... 27. I WIN
I had more before.. But it got to a point where i couldn't even see the icons of each tab.
It's 29 now. >_>
If I didn't just close all my fak
ku
ing tabs I'd have
26, I'd still lose... ;-;

I've got these drama and philosophy essays to write! Ohh hey look, manga.
If I left mine open.. I'd have too many.

Don't remind me.. ;_; The sad thing is I only have to write 2 pages, but I can barely get myself to do it.

Yep, completely agree.

Yeah, I figured that was common knowledge, but dunno. That's why I figured it was ritalin since I don't think that's a thing given out anymore or it's for the worst cases.

And jeez, that's dark.

I designate some games as podcast games when they're really mundane things now, but I can't do that for every game. I find the act of listening to music/podcasts while doing homework fine since it's two separate things, eyes and ears. Looking from one screen to the other for two visually stimulating things? Nah. I do the toilet thing too, but that's because I take a while to poo or feel like I can comfortably leave the toilet. Two games at once, nope.
Oh jeez.. oh man..
It's like you're me. >_>

Maybe? I'll double check later.

It's only dark because it's true.

IT'S REALLY HARD CONCENTRATING ON A PODCAST AN SOMETHING NOT MUNDANE. I've tried reading manga and listening podcasts, and it barely works since i always tune out the podcast and just pick up bits and pieces. If i listen to the podcast then i miss out on the story.
Ok, that I don't even get,
I leave shit up and forget about it or open like 6 or 7 looking for a doujin, but once you're done you're done.
Not if you like the artist's work and then click the artist tab intending to look at all their other work and then realize that there are sequels to some of their works, so then you open the first one in a new tab so you still have a "main page" that keeps track of what you've read with all the other sequels on one page to make it easier to read the next one. afadiofhaslkfjasf CRAP'S COMPLICATED. DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE.

Zenfalcia

I tried to lower the volume of the anime, so I could listen to another video, while reading the subs, but that didn't work out well.

You can only do that if you read quickly and can easily take in everything visual really quickly. I recommend having them split on the same screen at the same time.. N-not that I would know that from experience! >_>

It means you can youtube faster!
Reading through backlog and damn that pussy is cute
Yes, it is. Too bad I don't know what anime it's from.. ;_;

edit: dp huh? okay.

One of the guys was like, smuggling little cutouts of porn into his luggage so he could look at it secretly. Another guy hooked up with a guy at his dad's funeral. Then one of the guys kept trying to hand me pamphlets and shake my hand.

That was a weird day.
latest
Yeah, I didn't mean it was intentional. I just meant that it was a habit you do without really meaning to. I just can't tap out on something 30 seconds in if it's a show like Fate/Zero. I just have the opposite problem where I find things hard to start or I keep putting it off. I could watch some shit like a Madoka or Eva if I wanted, but I just don't feel like taking that first step at the moment. When I do I plan to commit usually.

Unless the thing is a bad show, I'd probably have that problem too. Just depends on the product.
Ah ok. And I have the "hard to start" thing too, it just extends to the first percentage of the thing too. I guess.
Sometimes I do stuff like mod Planetscape torment and get it working and then once I booted the game and spent half an hour making a character, I put it down for the forseeable future, probably basically forever.

My one trick is buying things when I want to play them, the significance of money helps motivate me to enjoy the thing. It's part of why I'd like to buy anime DVDs of stuff like Black Lagoon just to have it all right there and have motivation to just GO

I had more before.. But it got to a point where i couldn't even see the icons of each tab.
It's 29 now. >_>

Not if you like the artist's work and then click the artist tab intending to look at all their other work and then realize that there are sequels to some of their works, so then you open the first one in a new tab so you still have a "main page" that keeps track of what you've read with all the other sequels on one page to make it easier to read the next one. afadiofhaslkfjasf CRAP'S COMPLICATED. DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE.
I dislike chrome's layout mostly because of how once you get enough tabs they're just x icons and it's really hard to not close them when you click them. Firefox lets you scroll the tab bar with scrollbar and they don't shrink past a certain point.

I do that too, but it's rare I read a hentai manga or love the artist that much, I prefer oneshots to uhm *cough* get me through a shot.
And I didn't even talk about the sex criminals.
GREAT
10/10

Zenfalcia

I dislike chrome's layout mostly because of how once you get enough tabs they're just x icons and it's really hard to not close them when you click them. Firefox lets you scroll the tab bar with scrollbar and they don't shrink past a certain point.

I do that too, but it's rare I read a hentai manga or love the artist that much, I prefer oneshots to uhm *cough* get me through a shot.
I hate that in chrome. It makes it a pain when I "accidentally" open too many tabs and try closing them after i'm done with them. It's the worst since they don't make it easy to close them.

Believe it or not, I read hentai manga a lot and when I like their art, I look at the rest of the series they've done... Sometimes even look for other art they've done.
When did Dok become me?
When he decided to let jesus take the wheel and take him to a strip club after getting drunk.
Last night due to alcohol. We told him to throw dimes and pennies instead of using bills. Hope he did.
I bet he didn't. He's going to be sad at how much money he spend yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom