• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I was listening to podcast 84 and 85 today and god, Pat's just getting on my nerves lately. He can be so intolerant at times that I can't tell if it's real or a joke anymore. I have to just go "It's Pat," but god damn. That's not a thing I should have to do constantly. I feel like the gang just needs to completely stonewall and ignore him the moment he mentions something crazy. Throw vanilla ice cream on the floor because that's not real food. Throw the hamburger with mayo on the floor because I don't like thing so fuck everyone else. He said something along the lines of "those people aren't me so who cares," for some topic and I just get sad. It feels like the uncle who you thought was cool at first and then you just learn more about him until he just becomes a sad, broken man. I'm exaggerating a bit for effect, but whatever. Liam the best because he actually gives things chances and isn't insane usually. Woolie could of been it, but he hates Deadly Premonition for dumb reasons.
It's a kernel of truth in a joke situation thing. Like I hate mayo and I'll say I'll throw a sandwich with mayo on the ground, but I'd probably actually just go "meh" and not eat it. I think he knows when he's being unreasonable, he's just being selfish with what he wants and freely admitting it. It's semi-ironic, because it is what he wants to happen, but he knows the world isn't really like that.

That's how I always interpreted it.

I'll be a new guy, though after lurking on and off for a while I must say you guys can be hard to keep up with at times.
I think the trick is to just roll with it

SteveTR

It's a kernel of truth in a joke situation thing. Like I hate mayo and I'll say I'll throw a sandwich with mayo on the ground, but I'd probably actually just go "meh" and not eat it. I think he knows when he's being unreasonable, he's just being selfish with what he wants and freely admitting it. It's semi-ironic, because it is what he wants to happen, but he knows the world isn't really like that.

I've learned to take everything Pat says with a grain of salt.

Honestly, I find it really funny because it's just some guy on the internet. However, if I we were friends in real life, I'd probably find it really annoying.

demidar

I think they always knew... Just only talked about it in corners of the NEO where we can't see.

How's the gameplay? I forget, is there multiplayer?

If we were to be shut down, it probably would've happened 14 threads ago during the Age of Lewdness.

As for PoE, it seems like the combat system was made as close to ADnD 3.5e as possible, except they changed the 6 second turn time to do anything into a universal timer with independent cooldowns (they call it Recovery period) for each different action. But because combat moves so fast with everyone attacking at different durations it really pushes you to use the Pause feature to plan out position and attacks; it's nigh impossible to play well without using it (and there is permadeath in the game).

I really like the Health and Endurance system in the game, which eases up the need to rest after every encounter (and allows the designers to put sane limits on the amount of times you can rest without making dungeon crawling too hard). When a character takes damage, it subtracts from both Health and Endurance. If their Endurance hits 0, they get knocked out, if their Health hits 0, they die permanently. Depending on the class, a character's Health is 3x-6x more than their Endurance, Endurance refills automatically at the end of battle but Health is only recovered through Rest. It's a brilliant system, it reduces lethality while keeping the same intensity of combat while allowing a measure of resource management between fights (Per Rest abilities and spells).

Writing seems very good so far, dialogue is good and the voice acting range from serviceable to great. The lore is hyper dense though, someone probably had a lot of fun creating the world. Story seems interesting enough, especially with a recent revelation relatively early in the game.

Think I can stave off Bloodbourne with this game for a while.

Zenfalcia

Also I don't get how you can be disappointed when something doesn't have an anime art style. Disappointment usually means you had an expectation so why have an expectation of anime for everything. That's what I'm getting from what you're saying at least. Expecting anime from everything would be a little nuts.

Also I was listening to podcast 84 and 85 today and god, Pat's just getting on my nerves lately. He can be so intolerant at times that I can't tell if it's real or a joke anymore. I have to just go "It's Pat," but god damn. That's not a thing I should have to do constantly. I feel like the gang just needs to completely stonewall and ignore him the moment he mentions something crazy. Throw vanilla ice cream on the floor because that's not real food. Throw the hamburger with mayo on the floor because I don't like thing so fuck everyone else. He said something along the lines of "those people aren't me so who cares," for some topic and I just get sad. It feels like the uncle who you thought was cool at first and then you just learn more about him until he just becomes a sad, broken man. I'm exaggerating a bit for effect, but whatever. Liam the best because he actually gives things chances and isn't insane usually. Woolie could of been it, but he hates Deadly Premonition for dumb reasons.
He does expect anime in everything. That's why he's disappointed.

I love how crazy he is, it's part of who he is. It's so entertaining listening to him talking about things in the most extremes. Liam is okay, but he shouldn't always talk about things just because. Usually he has a good point, but sometimes he needs more substantial reasoning behind some of his arguments. His quips are the best. He just needs to speak louder for those.

Damn... it's 9:25 already... and i barely touched this essay.... dammit.

I'll be a new guy, though after lurking on and off for a while I must say you guys can be hard to keep up with at times.
You got the right idea. It's fiiiiine.
I've learned to take everything Pat says with a grain of salt.
Honestly, I find it really funny because it's just some guy on the internet. However, if I we were friends in real life, I'd probably find it really annoying.
I find it hilarious and endearing. He's just putting his opinions out in a very direct way, he doesn't actually expect or describe himself acting on any of the insane shit for a reason.

ultimax

Me, AC, Zen, and Oking are the few people I know who do it.

THE LAST OF THE OLD AND DEEP FUCKERS
I tried to keep up, but now when i leave, i'll come back to find 20 new pages. i cant handle the neogirth

Hello there. You're here forever.

It's fine keeping up is for nerds anyways

SteveTR

You got the right idea. It's fiiiiine.

I find it hilarious and endearing. He's just putting his opinions out in a very direct way, he doesn't actually expect or describe himself acting on any of the insane shit for a reason.

Exactly.

It reminds me of a friend, actually. He has a tendency to just say stuff he thinks is funny. However, he has a very particular sense of humor (non-sequitur) which has resulted in countless eyerolls. At first, I found it to be annoying but it's grown on me. It's acceptable because it's him saying it.

Skrams

I would like to interpret it as that, but he does it so much that it's hard to feel that way a lot. Pat's usual reactions always seem to be at the extreme ends, so it's hard to ever imagine him just going meh to some shit like mayo. Everything usually has a rant to go with it to somehow rationalize the crazy horribly.

I guess I'm just getting tired of the selfishness to a degree. I did have the thought that he just wants a lot of things to appeal to his specific tastes. Ori and the Blind Forest doesn't have the jump I want so fuck that game instead of getting used to it.

It was also probably just him being a smarmy ass and joking, but when Liam and Woolie said to read One Punch Man still even if the anime is happening, he just went "No," and had a chuckle. It's just tiring to me at this point.

Edit- Everyone seems to just accept it as Pat having strong opinions and being slightly crazy which I get. I'm just starting to get tired of it I guess. Constantly reminding myself to take it as a grain of salt can become bleh.

His thing about hating to give other people compliments also rubbed me the wrong way. He's said he thinks he has some form of tourettes just because he wants to say the most vile shit all the time. It's just weird to me now.

Cool that you finally posted. Welcome, but not really since you've lurked forever.

Too bad he doesn't read the backlog.

I thought they were called Mark, Pate, Willie, and Leo.

Would you blame him? I gave up after a short while because there are normally 20 pages of it.
I adapted well, just dive right in and you'll basically just learn everything.

Archgan

I'm a lurker at heart so when I leave this thread I rarely post. In fact the first time I ever posted a lot in one place was this thread.
I'm the same way. This is the only place I've ever posted a lot and I still barely post. I think I just like listening to conversations and interjecting every once and a while with something stupid.

I still read the backlog, too.

SteveTR

I usually check throughout the day and then stop for about eight hours, because of this pesky little thing called sleeping. However, because of time zones, that's usually the time when you guys post the most.

I guess I need to git gud at sleep schedules.

Zenfalcia

Bein means "leg" in German. You can call him legfilms.

He's mentioned that Bein is actually his last name.
Bein can also be Bien misspelled which is good in French, so it could be GoodFilms.
No, no, no. It's Mike, Pete, Wally, and Lee.
I'm sure it's Mitch, Pitt, Wheely, and Luke.
I don't even read the backlog anymore ;~;
What a fraud, fraudbeats.

I'm not that old.. Only OT3 for me.. >_>
Keep rolling rolling rolling.

Welcome, we're the official chatroom of the best friends, remember you're here forever.

Okingjrr

I like how talking about lurkers is like activating a trap card.
"Lurker, REVEAL YOURSELF!" *Poof, junior poops up*

Welcome new friender! Hang up your coat and enjoy your stay.

I would like to interpret it as that, but he does it so much that it's hard to feel that way a lot. Pat's usual reactions always seem to be at the extreme ends, so it's hard to ever imagine him just going meh to some shit like mayo. Everything usually has a rant to go with it to somehow rationalize the crazy horribly.

I guess I'm just getting tired of the selfishness to a degree. I did have the thought that he just wants a lot of things to appeal to his specific tastes. Ori and the Blind Forest doesn't have the jump I want so fuck that game instead of getting used to it.

It was also probably just him being a smarmy ass and joking, but when Liam and Woolie said to read One Punch Man still even if the anime is happening, he just went "No," and had a chuckle. It's just tiring to me at this point.
Well yeah, I can get passionate talking about how mayos garbage and refuse to eat it, but he doesn't actually do anything crazy, it's just him expressing opinions that way, through extremes.

When he's being that picky, he also acknowledges it completely. If you don't like the core mechanics of a game it can be kinda shit.

Manga thing is him probably being like "anime>manga duh"

I see what you're trying to say by the way, to not just poke holes in your examples, but I think it's almost always him being much himself, and he knows the world doesn't actually conform to that.
Welcome to the old and deep fuckers. Also you remind me of how Woolie described Smooth McGroove, you don't talk often, but I sure as hell notice when you do.

This guy?
Who.gif

Too bad he doesn't read the backlog.

I thought they were called Mark, Pate, Willie, and Leo.
This is the Sub-par best Acquaintances thread, I don't know what your talking about.

Eh it really depends for me. I'll read it if it's like 7 or 8 pages since I can skim it quick but sometimes it's 15+ pages and I'm like fuck that.
I just refresh the page whenever I feel like it and skim through everything, then I just go back doing what I've been doing. It's pretty much how I keep up.

Okingjrr

I'm the same way. This is the only place I've ever posted a lot and I still barely post. I think I just like listening to conversations and interjecting every once and a while with something stupid.

Yup, we have the same habits.

Skrams

Well yeah, I can get passionate talking about how mayos garbage and refuse to eat it, but he doesn't actually do anything crazy, it's just him expressing opinions that way, through extremes.

When he's being that picky, he also acknowledges it completely. If you don't like the core mechanics of a game it can be kinda shit.

Manga thing is him probably being like "anime>manga duh"

I see what you're trying to say by the way, to not just poke holes in your examples, but I think it's almost always him being much himself, and he knows the world doesn't actually conform to that.

I don't actually mean he'd throw the hamburger on the ground or anything. I just have a hard time imagining him ever being like "yeah, some people like mayo and I don't. That's fine." It's just one end or the other and being absolute and rarely breaking. He'll shit on a Skullgirls forever until he actually fixes his ignorance and plays it then he'll actually enjoy the thing. Skullgirls did have improvements to its speed which might of helped, but I feel like the base was still there for him to enjoy it.

Also I would hope people would be more open to change, but I guess Pat isn't that open to it that often even if it's something like delay on a jump.

I have no problems with him being himself either. It's just when some of those things feel more ignorant or hardheaded than based on something understandable.

Reposting my edit too.

Everyone seems to just accept it as Pat having strong opinions and being slightly crazy which I get. I'm just starting to get tired of it I guess. Constantly reminding myself to take it as a grain of salt can become bleh.

His thing about hating to give other people compliments also rubbed me the wrong way. He's said he thinks he has some form of tourettes just because he wants to say the most vile shit all the time. It's just weird to me now.

Zenfalcia

Nicki Minjaj favorited my tweet about Rev2 on the Vita...

wat
Are you sure? Maybe the PR guy for Nicki Minaj really likes Rev2?
Pat is just brutally honest IMO and doesn't hold back at all. It feels like he's totally aware he is crazy but does it anyways. It's kinda like ribbing friends you know really well but taken to an extreme.
Would you blame him? I gave up after a short while because there are normally 20 pages of it.
Yes. I blame him. He has to be a crazy person and read ALL OF IT.

Post more tho.

Yay, another team backlog member.
I don't post that often just whenever I feel I can add to a conversation whether it be debating space politics or waifus.
You have the best of priorities. Those are the only real things worth talking about.
SCREW YOU SPACE TRAITORS
I like how talking about lurkers is like activating a trap card.
"Lurker, REVEAL YOURSELF!" *Poof, junior poops up*
Not always, but it works most of the time. We should use the lurker trap card more often.
If it's not the Limp Bizkit song, I'm leaving.
Who the hell do you think I am!?!?
This is the Sub-par best Acquaintances thread, I don't know what your talking about.
I'm sure i got the right thread. This is the mediocre at best co-workers chatroom thread.

Okingjrr

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, I'll do the best I can to get along with everyone but I live on prison island so no promises

No prob. We got all kinds here, from prisoners like you, to the always forgotten but still present Euros like me, maple syrup lovin folk, and people from the land of buck o' five freedom.

Archgan

So I've been playing Bloodborne (only beat the first two bosses so far), and I was wondering
where you guys sent the survivors. I only met the mean old lady so far and I sent her to the clinc because the nurse seemed either really nice or hopelessly evil and I didn't care what happened to the old lady. When I went back there, she gave me numbing mist which makes me think she is probably a horrible monster and is doing experiments of some kind. But I might still send all the survivors to her anyway, so I can send all the rest to the cathedral in NG+.

I don't actually mean he'd throw the hamburger on the ground or anything. I just have a hard time imagining him ever being like "yeah, some people like mayo and I don't. That's fine." It's just one end or the other and being absolute and rarely breaking. He'll shit on a Skullgirls forever until he actually fixes his ignorance and plays it then he'll actually enjoy the thing. Skullgirls did have improvements to its speed which might of helped, but I feel like the base was still there for him to enjoy it.

Also I would hope people would be more open to change, but I guess Pat isn't that open to it that often even if it's something like delay on a jump.

I have no problems with him being himself either. It's just when some of those things feel more ignorant or hardheaded than based on something understandable.

Reposting my edit too.

Everyone seems to just accept it as Pat having strong opinions and being slightly crazy which I get. I'm just starting to get tired of it I guess. Constantly reminding myself to take it as a grain of salt can become bleh.

I mean, yeah, if I hate Mayo I'll talk it up as being terrible, especially to my friends cause whatever. I'll say it's terrible 100% of the time, unless someone is very serious, where I go well "yeah some people like it cause I mean, it exists"

I mean he calls himself passionate, and headstrong kinda fits right in with it. He points out the one thing that ruins it for him and is like "yeah that's all".

So yeah,I guess it's just accepting Pat's opinions as his opinions, and understanding they're just opinions. I guess I can see what you mean, some people in this topic have strong opinions that rub me the wrong way in how they're said, but Pat generally doesn't.

I have no recollection of that last thing though. I dunno, that just seems like his personality.

Nordicus

But because combat moves so fast with everyone attacking at different durations it really pushes you to use the Pause feature to plan out position and attacks; it's nigh impossible to play well without using it (and there is permadeath in the game).
There is also the slowdown button which is incredibly handy in bigger fights.

I really like the Health and Endurance system in the game, which eases up the need to rest after every encounter (and allows the designers to put sane limits on the amount of times you can rest without making dungeon crawling too hard). When a character takes damage, it subtracts from both Health and Endurance. If their Endurance hits 0, they get knocked out, if their Health hits 0, they die permanently. Depending on the class, a character's Health is 3x-6x more than their Endurance, Endurance refills automatically at the end of battle but Health is only recovered through Rest. It's a brilliant system, it reduces lethality while keeping the same intensity of combat while allowing a measure of resource management between fights (Per Rest abilities and spells).
I also like the implicit effect it's had on "healers". In older games they used to be vital because they seriously helped you against the immediate hazard, and gave long term survivability.

But in Pillars of Eternity, since healers for the most part can only heal Endurance but not Health, sooner or later as you go on without resting, you'll hit a wall where your character has so little actual health that no recovery spell can help them. Healers can only buy you more time to beat the current obstacle, but the best way to survive as long as possible is to not get damaged to begin with.

Emouse

So I've been playing Bloodborne (only beat the first two bosses so far), and I was wondering
where you guys sent the survivors. I only met the mean old lady so far and I sent her to the clinc because the nurse seemed either really nice or hopelessly evil and I didn't care what happened to the old lady. When I went back there, she gave me numbing mist which makes me think she is probably a horrible monster and is doing experiments of some kind. But I might still send all the survivors to her anyway, so I can send all the rest to the cathedral in NG+.

I sent the old lady to the Cathedral also as far as I remember all I got was an emote

Laputa_94

You have the best of priorities. Those are the only real things worth talking about.
SCREW YOU SPACE TRAITORS
I will just combine these debates by saying you Earth folk don't have good waifus like Haman Karn
Haman-Karn.jpg

Skrams

Well, maybe this explains why nothing downloads on my vita when I go into standby.

Pat is just brutally honest IMO and doesn't hold back at all. It feels like he's totally aware he is crazy but does it anyways. It's kinda like ribbing friends you know really well but taken to an extreme.
It's mostly when those things feel hardheaded for the sake of being hardheaded or born out of ignorance that my jimmies are the most rustled. It feels like he isn't open to change sometimes which also hurts. Also yeah, I know a lot of it is just over exaggeration at some point due to trolling.
I sent 2 people to the cathedral so far since I guess I didn't talk to the girl enough for the clinic option. You probably do get different things for both options. I know I have from sending mine to the Cathedral so far. Old Lady just shat on me though because she's a dick.

Zenfalcia

We did get moved to the "hell" of community. /s

So basically like a fighting game, stun meter and health. Seems like a fun game, I love/hate perma death. Mostly due to fire emblem, but only specific versions of it. :p

How dense are we talking about here?

demidar

There is also the slowdown button which is incredibly handy in bigger fights.

I also like the implicit effect it's had on "healers". In older games they used to be vital because they seriously helped you against the immediate hazard, and gave long term survivability.

But in Pillars of Eternity, since healers for the most part can only heal Endurance but not Health, sooner or later as you go on without resting, you'll hit a wall where your character has so little actual health that no healing spell can help them. Healers can only buy you more time to beat the current obstacle, but the best way to survive as long as possible is to not get damaged to begin with.

Forgot about that but yeah that's really useful. The speedup mode is also a godsend for getting around.

Yep. Damage interception and prevention is way more important now, and killing enemies as quick and efficiently as possible is encouraged as dead things can't hurt you (usually). It's a really good combat system, though probably not as good as Divinity Original Sin's when it comes to clarity (there are so many numbers, stats and resistances flying around it's hard to keep track of everything).

It's mostly when those things feel hardheaded for the sake of being hardheaded or born out of ignorance that my jimmies are the most rustled. It feels like he isn't open to change sometimes which also hurts. Also yeah, I know a lot of it is just over exaggeration at some point due to trolling.]

I'm with you. On the one hand, I appreciate the honesty, but on the other ignorance is bad.

Matt's my favourite though, even if he doesn't show up in a lot of content and zones out constantly. He just takes things easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom