• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

Same here. Nocturne and DDS 1 are better, but IV is still great.

No. Its not EO, and its not trying to be EO.

GOD DAMN STEPH

I was using EO as more of an example. Most regular RPGs aren't action based. FFX entire system is pretty much about planning ahead and recognizing foes and bosses patterns. The entire Sphere Grid is this, and a lot of late game bosses only do attacks on X amount of turns.

Compare this ti SMTIV where enemies seem to attack and do things randomly and the key is to take them out before they out damage you.

SMTIV might just be hard to swallow for most RPG players. Even SMTIII was more of a regular RPG.

croten

I was using EO as more of an example. Most regular RPGs aren't action based. FFX entire system is pretty much about planning ahead and recognizing foes and bosses patterns. The entire Sphere Grid is this, and a lot of late game bosses only do attacks on X amount of turns.

Compare this ti SMTIV where enemies seem to attack and do things randomly and the key is to take them out before they out damage you.

SMTIV might just be hard to swallow for most RPG players. Even SMTIII was more of a regular RPG.
SMT 4 is the bloodborne of shin megoomi tensei

cd2TQVP.gif

SMTIV barely puts a spin on anything that Nocturne didn't already. I was a little disappointed it was so safe. The biggest differences are in what the stats of your demons are and how you build your protagonist.

You often bring up the lack of a defense stat, but that change doesn't really hurt the game. Defense/Health/MP is based on the type of demon you have rather than a stat. It's just different.

SMTIV barely puts a spin on anything that Nocturne didn't already. I was a little disappointed it was so safe. The biggest differences are in what the stats of your demons are and how you build your protagonist.

You often bring up the lack of a defense stat, but that change doesn't really hurt the game. Defense/Health/MP is based on the type of demon you have rather than a stat. It's just different.

SMT4 was more of a fanservice style throwback to SMT1 and 2 with its reoccuring characters and concepts. We probably would've gotten more out of it if we had played those games first.

I'm pretty much in the same place with Rasen and Katsu where its a great game, but it has its flaws.

SMT4 was more of a fanservice style throwback to SMT1 and 2 with its reoccuring characters and concepts. We probably would've gotten more out of it if we had played those games first.
I touched SMT1 for like 4 hours, and just that tiny bit of time shows what a fucking HUGE sendoff it is to those games. Just the way NPCs are displayed in rooms is a send up.

It's a shame they didn't give the game a more interesting story for everyone, maybe I would have cared about the game then.

I should really hurry up with those games... I'm like 2 hours in SMT1. People are buzzing over SMTIV everywhere.

I'd get around to SMTIV soon hopefully.

360pages

No, the lack of Defense means planning things out becomes far less important. At most the most complicated thing you do is buff twice and debuff the enemy twice. Not saying this is a bad thing, the game is more moment to moment. But most of the fights lack a large identity compared to most RPG bosses.

Only a handful have a gimmick and even that gimmick can usually be ignored. Most endgame bosses just nuke you with almighty element spells.

Everything in SMTIV feels like something you kill without anything to link or identify with it. You are simply killing things that have similar move sets to your thing

You know what, i'm going to try switching weapons for
The Shadows of Yharnam
. I've been using the saw cleaver, but now i'm going to use
Ludwig's holy blade

No, the lack of Defense means planning things out becomes far less important. At most the most complicated thing you do is buff twice and debuff the enemy twice. Not saying this is a bad thing, the game is more moment to moment. But most of the fights lack a large identity compared to most RPG bosses.

Only a handful have a gimmick and even that gimmick can usually be ignored. Most endgame bosses just nuke you with almighty element spells.

Everything in SMTIV feels like something you kill without anything to link or identify with it. You are simply killing things that have similar move sets to your thing
There's less strategy in team building and the bosses are more samey than Nocturne. Yep. Valid. I agree.

Still great game.

It's a shame they didn't give the game a more interesting story for everyone, maybe I would have cared about the game then.

Like Dark Souls, Mainline SMT stories have never really been for the people that didn't want to get neck deep into its lore. But the gameplay has always been really good to make up for that.

If you want to play all the games, read all the demon descriptions, do all the side stuff, talk to NPCs, etc. then there's a lot to get out of it, but if you don't then that's ok because the gameplay is good enough to keep you going through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom