• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame they didn't give the game a more interesting story for everyone, maybe I would have cared about the game then.
SMT1 and 2 actually have a very real story that SMT2 builds off the backbone of SMT1. Nocturne came out and did its own minimalist, kinda... psychological take on an apocalypse. I love Nocturne's storytelling because of the tone and writing, but I can see why people would say it's nothing.

SMT4 is more of a mishmash of ideas and references where its own story kinda buckles and meanders and does whatever.

Ronda Rousey is so hot mannnnnnnnn.

Ronda-Rousey-Buffalo-Pro-10.jpg

Her and Michelle Rodriguez are doing a fight scene in Furious 7 that I'm looking forward to.

Like Dark Souls, Mainline SMT stories have never really been for the people that didn't want to get neck deep into its lore. But the gameplay has always been really good to make up for that.

If you want to play all the games, read all the demon descriptions, do all the side stuff, talk to NPCs, etc. then there's a lot to get out of it, but if you don't then that's ok because the gameplay is good enough to keep you going through it.
I liked the gameplay but I need story and characters in my RPGs now. I didn't care about anything and just straight gameplay wasn't enough to hold me. It's the same reason why I dropped PQ

360pages

There's less strategy in team building and the bosses are more samey than Nocturne. Yep. Valid. I agree.

Still great game.

It's not the worst game ever or even a bad game. I can just see how people who might enjoy a more regular type or stock type of RPG might have a hard time enjoying the game series.

It's like trying to get someone who enjoyed Disgaea. where a large portion of problems or walls the game presents can just be overcomed by making your numbers bigger. And have them play Fire Emblem where there is more weight to decisions, and vise versa.

I liked the gameplay but I need story and characters in my RPGs now. I didn't care about anything and just straight gameplay wasn't enough to hold me. It's the same reason why I dropped PQ
If you need a traditional story I'd easily recommend DDS. I'd also be interested in what you think of Nocturne, but you may not like it so I dunno.

beinfilms

So, I'm going through my Mechaweek backlog, and I just got to Custom Robo. The Mike shoutout amused me way more than it should have (especially since I remember people talking about it.)

croten

It's not the worst game ever or even a bad game. I can just see how people who might enjoy a more regular type or stock type of RPG might have a hard time enjoying the game series.

It's like trying to get someone who enjoyed Disgaea. where a large portion of problems or walls the game presents can just be overcomed by making your numbers bigger. And have them play Fire Emblem where there is more weight to decisions, and vise versa.
Who cares about those people? They aren't the primary audience.

Sure, but I don't think what it was trying to do is necessarily wrong, it's just... well, different. I also am just assuming your analogy makes sense because I don't know anything about SRPGs.

Then you'd hate Nocturne because in like the 5-6 hours I've played so far, other than like the first 20 minutes that game has had almost nothing in terms of story in cutscenes or dialogue.

DDS sounds more up your alley.

Then you'd hate Nocturne because in like the 5-6 hours I've played so far, other than like the first 20 minutes that game has had almost nothing in terms of story in cutscenes or dialogue.

Nocturne has stuff happen but defending its type of storytelling is hard to explain. It's very... sparse. And done with few words. It's also one of those intro where it makes way more sense when you know the whole story.

I'm a giant fanboy of Nocturne though so...

If you're looking for recommendations, Soul Hackers has a good mix of story and characters along with its upgraded SMT1 &2 mechanics.

Nocturne has stuff happen but defending its type of storytelling is hard to explain. It's very... sparse. And done with few words. It's also one of those intro where it makes way more sense when you know the whole story.

I'm a giant fanboy of Nocturne though so...

I'm not saying there isn't story, but there isn't much in the traditional sense of story where its in your face like Persona or DDS in terms of cutscenes instead of the more Dark Souls/SMT style where the story is through its demons, characters, locations, side stuff, etc. with very little in its main plotline.

I'm not saying there isn't story, but there isn't much in the traditional sense of story where its in your face like Persona or DDS in terms of cutscenes instead of the more Dark Souls/SMT style where the story is through its demons, characters, locations, side stuff, etc. with very little in its main plotline.
Yeah, ok, it's super non-traditional, and if you think IV is light on plot/characters, 3 is a fraction of that. Still, what's there has a lot of weight and really pays off, I feel.

Dark Souls is probably a good comparison, because I'm super fucking into that too. There's definitely more there than DkS, but it's that type of story, kinda, sorta.

Suffice to say I love Nocturne too much.

If you need a traditional story I'd easily recommend DDS. I'd also be interested in what you think of Nocturne, but you may not like it so I dunno.

You should give Digital Devil Saga a shot. It's got both an interesting story and interesting characters.

I have played Nocturne and I did like what I have played of it but I never finished it for some reason and I wonder if that is why. I have been meaning to get DDS but I always miss them when they are on sale because I just assume that I have them.

I'm waiting for jack to come in and say he can't handle first person dungeons and MAG.
I gotta say the MAG management system is completely different from SMT1 in a really good way. I rarely have to decide whether or not to trade it in for cash or just in case I have to resummon my demons. It feels really good.

360pages

Who cares about those people? They aren't the primary audience.

True, but I was saying that it might not be too far jarring or unfair for someone to insult the game based on different conventions. Even if they go in not expecting Persona they might still be blind sided. Even once they figure out how the game works they still simply might dislike it.

I gotta say the MAG management system is completely different from SMT1 in a really good way. I rarely have to decide whether or not to trade it in for cash or just in case I have to resummon my demons. It feels really good.
I'm surprised I don't mind MAG. For being a global resource, if you play with it in mind you'll never really run out, like ever.
FUCK YOU GOODWILL YOU FRADULENT BOSS CHEEZING POS

Nah, I will be fine.
NO U
It's a good game

Jman014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom