• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the right attitude to have when people shit on the game because they don't understand how the mechanics work. Just because someone is not good at a game does not make that game bad.
Immediately shifting the blame on the player complaining before discussing the thing in question isn't discussing why it's fair.

Its the right attitude to have when people shit on the game because they don't understand how the mechanics work. Just because someone is not good at a game does not make that game bad.

No. In fact that's the absolute wrong attitude to have. How about asking why they dislike it, what they're problem with it is, or helping them understand the mechanics that they don't get, or is frustrating them instead of just telling them to git gud. Exactly how are you or the person you're talking to benefiting by telling them that they're just bad at the game?

Or, if they're being irrational about it. Here's a crazy idea, try ignoring them?

I actually agree with Rizzi as far as the BSB goes. It was a major wall for me and I've been doing pretty good against everything else. The command grab sucks and you have to be lucky that if it catches you it doesn't kill you. The game wants you to play aggressive but that fight you definitely need to stay back and poke it when you get the chance.

Immediately shifting the blame on the player complaining before discussing the thing in question isn't discussing why it's fair.

No. In fact that's the absolute wrong attitude to have. How about asking why they dislike it, what they're problem with it is, or helping them understand the mechanics that they don't get, or is frustrating them instead of just telling them to git gud. Exactly how are you or the person you're talking to benefiting by telling them that they're just bad at the game?

Or, if they're being irrational about it. Here's a crazy idea, try ignoring them?

If this game wasn't made by From, people wouldn't be so eager to suck its dick.
It's not "bad" it's "deliberate".

See its clear here Rizzi has a bias against the game.

Zenfalcia

I actually agree with Rizzi as far as the BSB goes. It was a major wall for me and I've been doing pretty good against everything else. The command grab sucks and you have to be lucky that if it catches you it doesn't kill you. The game wants you to play aggressive but that fight you definitely need to stay back and poke it when you get the chance.
Can't you mash out of the command grabs?

Shackzam

This kind of toxic attitude is why people not only look down on the souls community but dislike the game altogether.
While I understand that talking shit to people that say their game is bad because I get a lot of that when trying to teach people how to play fighting games. It doesn't help anyone by shitting on them and it doesn't help by talking shit about the game if your unwilling to learn the mechanics. Rizzi, you were able to get past father G, which is probably harder to do then
blood beast
you should be able to do it. I believe in you.

See its clear here Rizzi has a bias against the game.

While I understand that talking shit to people that say there game is bad because I get a lot of that when trying to teach people how to play fighting games. It doesn't help anyone by shitting on them and it doesn't help by talking shit about the game if your unwilling to learn the mechanics. Rizzi, you were able to get past father G, which is probably harder to do then
blood beast
you should be able to do it. I believe in you.

Its a very frustrating game in a tough series, and its pretty much unanimous that BB is the hardest of them. People need to vent, and telling them to "git gud" or "they suck at the game" isn't gonna make the situation any better.

The souls games are a community driven game and while it obviously has its competitive elements, cooperation is the bigger part of it, especially for someone who's hit a wall.

There is admittedly some truth there. I'm sure many of us have a certain fondness of Miyazaki and From Soft, as we have of Platinum Games and we'd surely be more kind to them than we would be towards EA or Ubisoft. However, I wouldn't say that makes us ignore its flaws and just suck its dick at all. We've talked about its issues repeatedly. Hell, I've criticized its flaws more than I've praised it, but I keep playing because I still think it's a fantastic game.

You're frustrated. Let the game go for now and if you want to try your hand at it again, do so later. Farm a couple or levels if you want. Believe in yourself.

And if it makes you feel any better, I don't like BSB either.

BSB is my least favourite boss by far. It just feels like they didn't know how to make it interesting or challenging so they gave him
poison

I keep forgetting why I want BB so bad, and then I remember the dodges and how fast it is and it makes me want a PS4 again. I wish it had more games

BSB is my least favourite boss by far. It just feels like they didn't know how to make it interesting or challenging so they gave him
poison
They load you up with
antidotes
, to where it feels like just another step in backdashing like a crazy person and shoving items down your gullet if it happens.
I keep forgetting why I want BB so bad, and then I remember the dodges and how fast it is and it makes me want a PS4 again. I wish it had more games
The speed change is satisfying and nice, but the consistency of quality puts it over the top for me. I really love how it's a shorter game than Souls instead of being needlessly padded with a lame back half too.

convo

Every boss from them to the very last boss in did my first try. The final boss took me like 3 days and a buncha people here did it first try. So yeah.

Stuff like this shows how useless some people's assessment of the difficulty is, since it is up to the individual that decides how hard something is for them. A general statement can't be made for everyone.

People shift frustration into blame, but the response shouldn't be to criticize them without encouragement or being open to discussion of what they find frustrating or unfair.

Its a very frustrating game in a tough series, and its pretty much unanimous that BB is the hardest of them. People need to vent, and telling them to "git gud" or "they suck at the game" isn't gonna make the situation any better.

The souls games are a community driven game and while it obviously has its competitive elements, cooperation is the bigger part of it, especially for someone who's hit a wall.

I was frustrated by the BSB as well, but i didn't go calling the game bad. I knew that my skill and understanding of the boss hadnt fully meshed yet. The thing about the Soul's games is that when you die, 99% of the time it could have been avoided and the blame is on yourself for either not knowing mechanics or doing an attack at the wrong time when you should have been dodging and waiting for an opening.

Shackzam

Very understandable, I haven't fully played a souls game since Demons and came back because BB showed me the speed that I wanted in the series. I never knew how the community has evolved.
I find Bloodborne way easier then any of the soul series because of how good your movement is. I wish there was more human sized bosses because they gave me so many ways to try and counter them.

Skrams

If there was footage it would help put this in a better perspective and let us provide help.

I'd think it's a possibility?

I'm partially just being a shit, but yeah, I'd actually like to provide advice if I see a video. I'm glad the share button exists for these kind of things.

Yeah, should be able to mash out of it, but dunno for sure.

I killed BSB on my second attempt and I didn't find him that hard after I learned his schtick. Also used
flame paper because why not? Only died the first time because I didn't have antidotes and shit equipped.

The speed change is satisfying and nice, but the consistency of quality puts it over the top for me. I really love how it's a shorter game than Souls instead of being needlessly padded with a lame back half too.
At first I was like "wow that's short" but then I realized I'd probably want to replay it. Maybe even a few times

Rizzi

If I wasn't on a connection with .2 mbps upload speeds I would show you guys.
And I am not biased against the game.
I love the souls series. I wouldn't have played Demon's Souls and then 80 hours of DS1 on PC after spending over 100 hours on PS3 and doing the same with DS2 if I didn't.

I love the souls series. I wouldn't have played Demon's Souls and then 80 hours of DS1 on PC after spending over 100 hours on PS3 and doing the same with DS2 if I didn't.

Maybe youll do better in BB if you use the Wooden Shield.

Ants

Gamestop question that this may not be the best place to ask.

If I had 3 360s, each of which is supposed to be worth $175 in store credit towards a PS4 when traded in, would I have $400 worth of credit towards a PS4?

Wait what? I thought BB was the easiest. I had to turtle like a mother fucker in DaS and I'm doing pretty good in BB.

Stuff like this shows how useless some people's assessment of the difficulty is, since it is up to the individual that decides how hard something is for them. A general statement can't be made for everyone.
Basically, yeah. A lot of it comes down to level (which is pretty tied to defense in this game), build and equipment, reaction times, identifying windups and timing dodges, and even RNG on how the bosses attack and when.

Skill can get you around any of these humps, I mean there's SL1 runs for a reason, but for most people it really varies.
At first I was like "wow that's short" but then I realized I'd probably want to replay it. Maybe even a few times
I wish Dark Souls cut out Lost Izalith and Tomb of the giants. Just straight up gone. Would replay the whole game instead of up to those levels and quitting.

Zenfalcia

I'm partially just being a shit, but yeah, I'd actually like to provide advice if I see a video. I'm glad the share button exists for these kind of things.

Yeah, should be able to mash out of it, but dunno for sure.

I killed BSB on my second attempt and I didn't find him that hard after I learned his schtick. Also used
flame paper because why not? Only died the first time because I didn't have antidotes and shit equipped.
It's fine. A video or at least information to give perspective of his situation.
Hmm.. can you atleast describe what you're doing in each fight and how are you getting killed? It's better than nothing.

I was frustrated by the BSB as well, but i didn't go calling the game bad. I knew that my skill and understanding of the boss hadnt fully meshed yet. The thing about the Soul's games is that when you die, 99% of the time it could have been avoided and the blame is on yourself for either not knowing mechanics or doing an attack at the wrong time when you should have been dodging and waiting for an opening.

Still don't understand how that gives you the right to tell someone they suck at it because they think its bad.

Very understandable, I haven't fully played a souls game since Demons and came back because BB showed me the speed that I wanted in the series. I never knew how the community has evolved.
I find Bloodborne way easier then any of the soul series because of how good your movement is. I wish there was more human sized bosses because they gave me so many ways to try and counter them.

You of all people would think its easier. Then again, considering you go for the rushdown characters in fighting games and BB tailors exactly to that crowd, its not even surprising.

convo

Its a very frustrating game in a tough series, and its pretty much unanimous that BB is the hardest of them.

On your first point people will never agree altogether that BB is the hardest, i love this game to bits, but it being the hardest will come down to the player some find it easy some don't and they are hard to convince that it is that way. I don't think it is the hardest to play through for me, experience with past games and all that, but other might have a different time with the game. It is very variable how people think about difficulty, which makes it hard for people to understand that people need help with the game too. Some are very supportive and some are just assholes.
I agree with you that souls is a community thing where people shouldn't be deflected because they can't beat a boss or an area others found easy.

Zenfalcia

Gamestop question that this may not be the best place to ask.

If I had 3 360s, each of which is supposed to be worth $175 in store credit towards a PS4 when traded in, would I have $400 worth of credit towards a PS4?
Wouldn't the math add up to $525?
Since I pretty much always used a 2h weapon that wouldn't really help..
You don't even use the gun? Wouldn't it work better with the quicker one handed weapon with less recovery frames?

On your first point people will never agree altogether that BB is the hardest, i love this game to bits, but it being the hardest will come down to the player some find it easy some don't and they are hard to convince that it is that way. I don't think it is the hardest to play through for me, experience with past games and all that, but other might have a different time with the game. It is very variable how people think about difficulty, which makes it hard for people to understand that people need help with the game too. Some are very supportive and some are just assholes.
I agree with you that souls is a community thing where people shouldn't be deflected because they can't beat a boss or an area others found easy.

I guess you're right. Usually people's first souls game is the hardest, but between this and DS1, BB's been taking the cake. Shaking my old souls habits have been hard, but I've been making progress.

I also think it was either Giant Bomb or 8-4 Play that put it best when they take about how a good amount of community members will tell people who haven't played a souls game "Yeah, its a super tough series" but when you ask them if they think its hard, the response a lot of the time is "nahhhh I breezed through those parts you'll probably struggle really hard with super easily." Not really saying its untrue or anything, but it kind of dictates the condescending attitiude you'll find within the souls community, but luckily there's a lot of people, especially in the NeoGAF OT, that have been really helpful. Obviously no one likes it when someone hates a game you really like though and you feel the need to defend it and that's also understandable.

Well until he provides some actual support for why Bloodborne is "bad", He's being just as unfair to the game as im being to him.
I don't think going for ad hominem shittalking as a kneejerk reaction is very nice. Especially considering, if you think he's being unfair by judging the game, you can voice that you think that without trying to get in a cheap shot.

I don't even think it's wrong to say that you find it's totally fair and you should just dodge shit, but you don't have to come off as an elitist over it.

If you're not willing to help someone like the game more, you're just antagonizing them.

I was going to sleep, but then I read an entire manga. Oh god, I didn't even touch that essay I've got due in a week. And I've got another essay due in a week that's 3x as big... oh jeez oh man oh jeez.

It's 9am now. Coffee has no effect. Why is life cruel. Why isn't coffee and amazing drug that instatly makes me awake?

Skrams

None of the enemies dropped shit and perhaps I missed a couple of them. I'm pretty sure I've explored the whole area. Maybe I used some before the boss and don't remember?

I explored well and had like 12 or 13. It's fine. There was also some in the boss arena, but didn't find those until afterwards.

convo

The BB OT has been really accommodating, and a lot of it is criticism as much as it's "I LOVE THIS GAME!!!"

Well it is an example of a healthy OT with people with different kind of experiences with the game, good and bad , as they play through the game . Super cool stuff was discovered and discussed like you would have with the souls games. I believe Evilore isn't liking the game right now and not many are there to come up to him about it although that could be intimidating i guess? He has valid complaints about load times and so on. Didn't really pursue what else he didn't like since it does not matter to me personally. Getting all Defence-Force on something isn't my thing.

I don't think going for ad hominem shittalking as a kneejerk reaction is very nice. Especially considering, if you think he's being unfair by judging the game, you can voice that you think that without trying to get in a cheap shot.

I don't even think it's wrong to say that you find it's totally fair and you should just dodge shit, but you don't have to come off as an elitist over it.

I really hate when people call something bad or unfair when it usually comes down to the person not understanding how to counteract it. For example, my friends don't play me in Injustice anymore because they refuse to learn how to get in on me when i play deathstroke. They call me cheap and how deathstroke is a broken character, and it pisses me off.

mike0dude

get hyped for Cooking you guys!

Q2gdXTM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom