• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beinfilms

Atlus tax and Europe. Nintendo has region locking, multiple hoops to jump through for digital protection cause no account system.

We are not even going to start with 2k.

Fair enough, fair enough.
I ignore pretty much all non-Firaxis 2K games, so I'm able to forget about the worst of it.

beinfilms

I was going to say that 505 is ok, but then I realized I don't actually remember anything about them. ...do they actually ever put out games?

beinfilms

Publishers being money grubbing is SOP. They pretty much have to be in order to afford financing distribution.

I know what you were actually saying, but my brain read this as the Metal Gear SOP at first. It kind of adds a whole new angle to the issue.
Or does it?

Xiraiya

Sometimes business requires publishers to be a little shitty, and that's understandable. But there is only a certain amount of shittiness they can get away with before they are straight up fucking over the very games and developers that were going to make them the money they desperately want in the first place.

I think about Vampire Bloodlines still and the potential that game had if it hadn't been fucked from every angle.

Source engine being a piece of shit back then because Valve had released it in a broken state, the Publisher rushing Troika to release earlier and earlier when releasing immediately after HL2 was a bad plan to begin with, causing them to abandon so many half-started and broken ideas. Then letting them go bankrupt and basically getting rid of them before they could even finish the game, let alone spend a week after release without pay desperately trying to patch it.

It's a real shitty story and bums me out everytime I remember it.

I still have the entire interview with Tim Cain saved somewhere.

What about Sony? They've had some issues, but they don't seem to be nearly as bad as certain others (which I don't have to name).
Also Nintendo is not good.
Not cool, but justified.

Sony is definitely more developer friendly, but I don't know how long that will last. They cannot afford to moneyhat games at the rate Nintendo does.

Nintendo is not different from the Nintendo that was in the 80s and 90s, save for the changed marketplace. They're still a greedy, ultra conservative Japanese company bent on maximizing their bottom line.

What's nuts is how some dev-pubs like Yacht Club Games can get away with not paying their employees for long stretches of time and asking for crunch time from them subsequently.

Sony is definitely more developer friendly, but I don't know how long that will last. They cannot afford to moneyhat games at the rate Nintendo does.

Nintendo is not different from the Nintendo that was in the 80s and 90s, save for the changed marketplace. They're still a greedy, ultra conservative Japanese company bent on maximizing their bottom line.

Sony hasn't really moneyhatted too many games. They are just preferable to work with than Microsoft is.

No Mank Sky, that's a blatant moneyhat. But Street Fighter V didn't have a budget.

Retro Samurai

Neo Member
Actually, not all indies are great, the guys that made Rogue Legacy really fucked my buddy over when he worked for them, from what he tells me.

360pages

The new One Piece game tried to have a story line of events in the series...and it's super half-assed. To the point I wonder why they even bothered. I know that is expected to happen when adapting a 650+ chapter Manga. Plus trying to fit it all in one game unlike Naruto that tried to do it in 3 games, for only half the series.

Zenfalcia

Sometimes business requires publishers to be a little shitty, and that's understandable. But there is only a certain amount of shittiness they can get away with before they are straight up fucking over the very games and developers that were going to make them the money they desperately want in the first place.

I think about Vampire Bloodlines still and the potential that game had if it hadn't been fucked from every angle.

Source engine being a piece of shit back then because Valve had released it in a broken state, the Publisher rushing Troika to release earlier and earlier when releasing immediately after HL2 was a bad plan to begin with, causing them to abandon so many half-started and broken ideas. Then letting them go bankrupt and basically getting rid of them before they could even finish the game, let alone spend a week after release without pay desperately trying to patch it.

They're necessary evil, but even then they make bad decisions at times.

Really? Hm... I never knew.

Sony hasn't really moneyhatted too many games. They are just preferable to work with than Microsoft is.

No Mank Sky, that's a blatant moneyhat. But Street Fighter V didn't have a budget.

They're starting to just to protect their install base(which is weird that they'd do so considering they are the #1 best selling console).

The SFV announcement seems more reactionary than good business.

Xiraiya

Really? Hm... I never knew.

Yeah, VTMB came out with like 60% of the content they intended to have basically. What I think bums me out most is how good that game is even in it's broken state, unofficial Patch fixes a lot of issues so you can safely play through with minimal quirks. Both Beloved and I got to the last stretch of the game pretty smoothly, I think I had one instance of a cutscene bugging out and causing me to reload.

I played it unpatched once and it was still completable.

So it amuses me how Pat played it with patches (apparently) and it just fucking broke on him in under like an hour.

Get good at fixing old busted PC games Pat.

Zenfalcia

Yeah, VTMB came out with like 60% of the content they intended to have basically. What I think bums me out most is how good that game is even in it's broken state, unofficial Patch fixes a lot of issues so you can safely play through with minimal quirks. Both Beloved and I got to the last stretch of the game pretty smoothly, I think I had one instance of a cutscene bugging out and causing me to reload.

I played it unpatched once and it was still completable.

So it amuses me how Pat played it with patches (apparently) and it just fucking broke on him in under like an hour.
Imagine if it was made with all the content they intended, I wonder what kind of game it would've been.

Pat amuses everyone. He probably tried cheating and then broke the game.
:p

Xiraiya

Imagine if it was made with all the content they intended, I wonder what kind of game it would've been.

Pat amuses everyone. He probably tried cheating and then broke the game.
:p
I didn't have a cool PC or even the internet in like 2003 or whenever trailers started to come out, so I would be at my Cousins watching E3 stuff and the damn trailer for VTMB had a Multiplayer mode which looked really fun.
In reality it would have played like shit in melee unless they added in Zelda or Dark Souls style targeting, but still.

Retro Samurai

Neo Member
Damm, that sucks. Was it written within the contract that they could do that?

Yeah I believe it was a scenario where he can't really do much about it.

Crappy situation all around, but remember I am speaking from a third person perspective, so there could be more to it than meets the eye.

Nordicus

Really, western RPG dev interviews, especially about the time between the start of 3D gaming to Kickstarter boom, is some of the most depressing shit to listen to when you like the genre.

Zenfalcia

I didn't have a cool PC or even the internet in like 2003 or whenever trailers started to come out, so I would be at my Cousins watching E3 stuff and the damn trailer for VTMB had a Multiplayer mode which looked really fun.
In reality it would have played like shit in melee unless they added in Zelda or Dark Souls style targeting, but still.
Shame things can always look fun or great but be terrible when you get to actually play it.

At the time it might have been amazing? Who knows.
Yeah I believe it was a scenario where he can't really do much about it.

Crappy situation all around, but remember I am speaking from a third person perspective, so there could be more to it than meets the eye.
There could be more to it that wasn't mentioned, like the specifics of the contract.

Xiraiya

Shame things can always look fun or great but be terrible when you get to actually play it.
At the time it might have been amazing? Who knows.

Back then the game felt fine to play, it would have been weird to play but still fun as shit in a dueling situation.

Really, western RPG dev interviews, especially about the time between the start of 3D gaming to Kickstarter boom, is some of the most depressing shit to listen to when you like the genre.

Like Bioware?

Well, they're trying to compete with Japanese RPGs that have more money than sense.

At the same time, there's not enough good business judgment in Western game development.

My favorite dev, Maxis, was acquired by EA and basically protected from the ebb and flow of the Western struggles of video game design to work on SimCity3K and The Sims.

I'd like to point out that we're now more than 80 pages in, and still don't have a finished OP.
...I give up.

Don't give up , skeleton!
don_t_give_up__skeleton_by_envyskort-d7xr4ld.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom