• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's fine! There was super salt in DS2, and that was just parfeckt!
Woolie getting upset was my least favorite part of that by far.

I like how trading off on death gives them an incentive to work together, but also secretly wish for the other to die sometimes. I think it makes for friendly competition.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
This describes the MadWorld LP pretty accurately, actually...

The worst part about that is it's not even the game's fault. Their clunky control scheme is to blame for most of the misssteps there.

No, i just don't want them to do super good.

You said that it wouldn't be entertaining if they did well. Them doing well and enjoying the game is way better than them being salt and being shitty/dismissive towards the game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Same with the Shaolin Monks LP. It never got Nuzlocke levels of bad but it really seemed like they didn't want to be there

Yeah, I mean, I know they have a schedule to maintain, but their personalities and moods are so central to the enjoyability of an LP that I feel they should take a break from a game if they start to really dread playing it. Unless that's the intent, of course.

People would complain, but it's a short-sighted complaint. And it's not like those people will stop watching.

Anung

Un Rama
Yeah, I mean, I know they have a schedule to maintain, but their personalities and moods are so central to the enjoyability of an LP that I feel they should take a break from a game if they start to really dread playing it. Unless that's the intent, of course.

Like I know taking an LP through to the end is one of their things. But I wouldn't begrudge them shitcanning one that is obviously not working. I'd rather them focus on something new and fun than let an LP meander around when they obviously don't care/aren't having fun.

I guess this is a flaw of recording videos weeks in advance.

Zenfalcia

I'm not saying that it would necessarily make it a bad playthrough. But I'm also saying that them doing poorly doesn't always make a good LP. More often than not, the LP is worse for it.
Poor skill isn't fun to watch, unless it's the whole point of the LP was to be bad.
Woolie getting upset was my least favorite part of that by far.

I like how trading off on death gives them an incentive to work together, but also secretly wish for the other to die sometimes. I think it makes for friendly competition.
Speaking of woolie getting upset. ;)

I think it's a nice change of pace, since both of them are paying attention to the game and helping each other out.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Like I know taking an LP through to the end is one of their things. But I wouldn't begrudge them shitcanning one that is obviously not working. I'd rather them focus on something new and fun than let an LP meander around when they obviously don't care/aren't having fun.

I guess this is a flaw of recording videos weeks in advance.

I appreciate them really following through with LPs. I personally really don't like it when LPers just abandon a series arbitrarily. But, I do think that a short reprieve can rekindle the desire to play the game again... or they could throw a different twist on the LP that might make it more enjoyable for them and the viewer.

Anung

Un Rama
I appreciate them really following through with LPs. I personally really don't like it when LPers just abandon a series arbitrarily. But, I do think that a short reprieve can rekindle the desire to play the game again... or they could throw a different twist on the LP that might make it more enjoyable for them and the viewer.

Swapping them up would be a way I'd fix it. The Evil Within LP would have been 100 times more enjoyable if they subbed out Matt for Liam. It should have been them two from the start and it was hurt in a lot of ways because of it.

Fitts

I'm watching Pat and Liam's playthrough of the FFXV demo and have a question for those who have played it: is the vignetting actually a thing or is it a problem with the recording?

I'm glad I didn't buy a ps4 just for BB.

Something about the whole Victorian aesthetic just doesn't do it for me.

I thought watching footage of the game would've convinced me, but it's not really enticing me to bite.

Hopefully Pat and Woolie find something that makes the game really interesting to me.

Trust me, that's the same as saying dark souls isn't your thing because undead burg is generic. Shit gets Ash Lake New Londo Darkmoon Crystal Cave insane later on.

Zenfalcia

Do you guys think we'll get some sort of weird april fools thing for the evening video? I could go for a mystery box
I hope so.
I'm watching Pat and Liam's playthrough of the FFXV demo and have a question for those who have played it: is the vignetting actually a thing or is it a problem with the recording?
I want to say it's the game? I don't a recording could make it ruin it that much. The bright areas were fine...

Fitts

I want to say it's the game? I don't a recording could make it ruin it that much. The bright areas were fine...

It's an odd decision for the devs to make. Really distracting.

Then again, it could have something to do with Pat's fucked up Cnet picture settings.

I never found it to be a problem. It's a well known problem that Pat's TV is dark as fuck as said by both Matt, Woolie and Liam on multiple occasions. I'm not sure why their video was as dark as it was but the game is nowhere near that hard to see.

Zenfalcia

It's an odd decision for the devs to make. Really distracting.

Then again, it could have something to do with Pat's fucked up Cnet picture settings.
It's not finalized and it might be just Pat's equipment. I mean they did bring up how everything looked dark.

Fitts

^^I've never actually recorded any game and, therefore, have no idea how the capture equipment works. Still, Pat's too-dark television has been well documented. I'm pretty sure I recall the television he purchased accurately (Sony KDL-55W900A) and I'm familiar with it. If it's properly calibrated, nobody should be commenting that it's "too dark." A few possible issues:

-Eco settings are ridiculously aggressive on Sony TVs and they're turned on by default. Worse yet, they're not a part of the picture settings proper and often go overlooked as they're buried in another menu. They should be immediately and permanently disabled.

-There could be an RGB range mis-match. Specifically, my PS4 has a problem communicating with my Panasonic plasma and I need to force both the television and system into "limited" to display properly. My PS3 had this same problem with my Pioneer Kuro.

-I'm 99% certain that Pat mentioned that he plugged in Cnet's settings. Not only is this not properly calibrating your television, but their settings are often terrible (Dave Katzmier is bad, Ty Pendleton is even worse) or sometimes don't even make any sense at all (ex. setting they cite isn't actually available on that model) leading one to assume that typos aren't uncommon.

-If Pat did grab settings from somewhere, chances are they were for Cinema mode since that's what's traditionally calibrated. However, when gaming he should be doing so on Game mode to eliminate as much input lag as possible and to assure that all unnecessary processing is disabled. If one plugs recommended Cinema settings into the Game profile they will yield two drastically different results as they have different baselines.

I'm sure it's not Pat's TV since recording gets what the PS4 is outputting and not what the TV is displaying. It's most likely just the game's lighting still not set to balance itself between light and dark areas. I checked Max's playthrough real quick is it's also super dark for them. Like they said this is obviously not the final version and there's things that need to be worked on. If it were Pat's TV we'd be seeing it in every other game as well, especially Bloodborne because that game has a LOT of darks.

The forest was pretty dark in my game, but that could just be my tv as well.

Yeah I'm looking at some of my past streams where I played 15 and it doesn't appear anywhere near as dark as their video did. Maybe it's just something with the equipment they're using?

Fitts

I'm sure it's not Pat's TV since recording gets what the PS4 is outputting and not what the TV is displaying. It's most likely just the game's lighting still not set to balance itself between light and dark areas. I checked Max's playthrough real quick is it's also super dark for them. Like they said this is obviously not the final version and there's things that need to be worked on. If it were Pat's TV we'd be seeing it in every other game as well, especially Bloodborne because that game has a LOT of darks.

Cool. Regardless, "Pat's dark TV" is now up there with "Woolie the liar" in the SBFP ethos. It makes me want to go to his apartment and stick a colorimeter on his screen.

EDIT: And there could possibly be an RGB range mismatch between the console and the capture device, no? Again, I have no first-hand experience with them.

Anung

Un Rama
Certain capture equipment can mess around with the brightness settings. I use an Elgato and usually have to turn the darkness down in game a lot lower than usual or the recording will have that kind of bright glare. I think its just the reality of that kind of capture equipment. It's very frustrating and kind of amount to nothing but guesswork.

You'll notice they mention it a lot during the shitstorms when they play dark games.

Fitts

I'd bet good money he just prefers it this way because it's "optimized" somehow. He's said on the podcast that he was the only person he knew with a properly formatted TV.

I don't have any intention of insulting anyone, but as I stated above I suspect that he may be mistaken. (or I could be mistaken of what model he owns)

Xiraiya

I'm glad I didn't buy a ps4 just for BB.
Something about the whole Victorian aesthetic just doesn't do it for me.
I thought watching footage of the game would've convinced me, but it's not really enticing me to bite.
Hopefully Pat and Woolie find something that makes the game really interesting to me.

Victorian setting stuff is probably my favorite setting in anything, tied with regular medieval settings.
So basically Dark Souls and Bloodborne have my all time favorite settings.

If them playing it isn't doing it, I don't see the point in bothering to think about it anymore.

You either want the game or you don't.

Victorian setting stuff is probably my favorite setting in anything, tied with regular medieval settings.
So basically Dark Souls and Bloodborne have my all time favorite settings.

If them playing it isn't doing it, I don't see the point in bothering to think about it anymore.

You either want the game or you don't.
i want the game even more now
if i come across 400$ between now and June, fuck waiting

Xiraiya

I don't have any intention of insulting anyone, but as I stated above I suspect that he may be mistaken. (or I could be mistaken of what model he owns)

I don't know, it's generally fine at least about 90% of the time, some older PS2 games and XV are the only issues I've seen with Pat's TV in terms of brightness.

Ilvocare

Same with the Shaolin Monks LP. It never got Nuzlocke levels of bad but it really seemed like they didn't want to be there

Late to respond on this but I thought Shaolin was worse than Nuzlocke, and it's for a very personal reason: I was doing my blind no-EXP-Share Nuzlocke of Pokemon X at the same time as them and was able to relate WAY closer to them not knowing certain minutia (since the last Pokemon game I played was HeartGold, I had about 4 new gens of Pokemon to rediscover, along with adjusted typing relationships to deal with), being hyper-cautious of anything, bemoaning the loss of a Poke as solely their fault... I felt and experienced all of that. From personal experience, the middle of a run is the most dull shit, but Victory Road and blasting through the E4 makes it so worth it. Hell, I lost about 22 Pokemon total before I took out that Mega-Gardevoir, and finished with only half the team I brought in actually alive. In that sense, they beat my ass. But yeah, to expect anyone else who hasn't gone through a similar situation to realize that is unrealistic at best.

Also I've cut myself off entirely from news until I come back home to watch the Direct properly, but a good friend of mine sent me a text simply saying "It's still happening!"

I can only assume that
SMTxFE
made an appearance today, didn't it???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom