• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

I played Hearthstone and bought MH3U because of Pat. MH3U didn't really pan out, but I've been consumed by Hearthstone ever since.

I will say that I was sold on The Walking Dead season 1 after watching a few minutes of the Giant Bomb QL (which is like a one episode Let's Play) and I did enjoy it a lot. Generally speaking though I know my tastes and other people don't influence my buying habits.

Zenfalcia

How many video games have the Best Friends convince you to buy?

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1023355&page=100000

Apparently a substantial number of Gaffers bought video games because of the Best Friends.

Surprised me to see how influential their videos can be.
Quite a lot actually... To be honest, i wouldn't know about most of the games I have if I didn't watch a video or a let's play of it. The best friends in particular... without them i wouldn't never gotten into persona or half the kickstarter or indie titles out there.

Also, I feel like I'm the only one but does anyone get angry at how someone plays a game poorly and then buys the game out of spite just to play better than them? I feel like i'm crazy...

Skrams

God damn. The audio has been fucked in a few of the more recent episodes of the MadWorld LP.

I'm a bit behind on the Madworld LP and I'm only watching the recent episode because I love that boss fight. It's really fucked. The audio during cutscenes completely drowns them out. It's really unfortunate that this seems to slowly becoming a pattern with Woolie/Matt LPs. The audio during the last episode of Shaolin Monks was completely fucked and it's been fucked pretty bad for Madworld half the time. I really hope they Matt and Woolie can eventually settle on games or some dynamic that works for them. I didn't watch TWAU or GoT since I'd rather play the games first, but I feel like I've heard those LPs have been fine. It's also easier since those are just story heavy games. Def Jam worked well due to Rage role playing jokes even if watching the gameplay felt a little average. Either they need to just think harder about what they choose to do or get Liam in on this to bring some more to the table like Metroid Fusion or Viewtiful Joe.

Edit- And just finished the Madworld episode. The audio just jumps up and down with a weird rhythm. Big during some cutscenes and shitty during gameplay. I enjoyed Woolie's ORAing, but not hearing anything in that battle hurt. I also can't imagine why this isn't labeled as FINAL considering there's little other content that could be used to make a FINAL episode. You unlock some bonus weapons for beating the game, but making 25 minutes of content out of that and the credits? Eh, I guess.

Quite a lot actually... To be honest, i wouldn't know about most of the games I have if I didn't watch a video or a let's play of it. The best friends in particular... without them i wouldn't never gotten into persona or half the kickstarter or indie titles out there.

Also, I feel like I'm the only one but does anyone get angry at how someone plays a game poorly and then buys the game out of spite just to play better than them? I feel like i'm crazy...

Are you saying you do this? I can't say it's crazy or anything since I feel like I've done it before, but I can't think of for what. I feel like I've asked myself the question, is this as hard as they're making it out to be, really? Then I play the game and find out they're just bad at the game. I think I've done this more with Giantbomb QLs more than SBF stuff though. I'm not digging at GB's game playing skills or anything besides Brad, but it's mostly just because GB covers a way bigger variety of things than SBF so I don't usually have the feeling when SBF play stuff.

Zenfalcia

Are you saying you do this? I can't say it's crazy or anything since I feel like I've done it before, but I can't think of for what. I feel like I've asked myself the question, is this as hard as they're making it out to be, really? Then I play the game and find out they're just bad at the game. I think I've done this more with Giantbomb QLs more than SBF stuff though. I'm not digging at GB's game playing skills or anything besides Brad, but it's mostly just because GB covers a way bigger variety of things than SBF so I don't usually have the feeling when SBF play stuff.
Yeah, I do it a lot... and also judge them harshly when they're playing, with the occasional screaming at the screen... SBF isn't too bad, they usually get most things and get the gist of what they're doing.
Unless it's survival games like this war of mine, then they're awful.

Best Friends got me into games as a medium a lot more seriously than I was before. Not that I didn't always love videogames, but: as someone who used to read GameInformer for news, it's been a huge step up since I've found good alternatives.

I can't say I've done that, my worst reactions are when they can't understand a tutorial though. People take the SBF for granted, they're a lot smarter about that stuff then 99% of people out there.

Skrams

Yeah, I do it a lot... and also judge them harshly when they're playing, with the occasional screaming at the screen... SBF isn't too bad, they usually get most things and get the gist of what they're doing.
Unless it's survival games like this war of mine, then they're awful.

I don't watch much else besides the best friends and Giantbomb, so I don't feel like it happens too often with me for the best friends at least. I'm also ignorant about the deeper games like This War of Mine so I wouldn't know how "badly" they're playing.

I also haven't watch their Evil Within LP or Walking Dead S2 or most of their more controversial things to know if I would be mad or not. I think I remember being annoyed at Woolie being a coward in Dark Souls 2, but I don't remember if I was ever truly annoyed or yelling at my screen. There's also the JoJo video, but I was ignorant on JoJo and the fighting game at the time. The Nuzlocke was painful to watch because of them not knowing some shit, but that LP was soul crushing in general.

Zenfalcia

I'm might have come off as a little extreme, and now that I think of it, there's only a few moments where I got really frustrated. Those times really frustrated me...
Best Friends got me into games as a medium a lot more seriously than I was before. Not that I didn't always love videogames, but: as someone who used to read GameInformer for news, it's been a huge step up since I've found good alternatives.

I can't say I've done that, my worst reactions are when they can't understand a tutorial though. People take the SBF for granted, they're a lot smarter about that stuff then 99% of people out there.
It sure got me thinking about more about the people making the games rather than just the end video game.

The best friends are fairly competent compared to other people, but they have times where they make mistakes or don't understand something. It might be due to them skipping over tutorials or being distracted when important tips or controls comes up on screen.
I don't watch much else besides the best friends and Giantbomb, so I don't feel like it happens too often with me for the best friends at least. I'm also ignorant about the deeper games like This War of Mine so I wouldn't know how "badly" they're playing.

I also haven't watch their Evil Within LP or Walking Dead S2 or most of their more controversial things to know if I would be mad or not. I think I remember being annoyed at Woolie being a coward in Dark Souls 2, but I don't remember if I was ever truly annoyed or yelling at my screen. There's also the JoJo video, but I was ignorant on JoJo and the fighting game at the time. The Nuzlocke was painful to watch because of them not knowing some shit, but that LP was soul crushing in general.
I watch Rooster teeth/Achievement Hunter and they've played really poorly in some games.

It's not always yelling sometimes it's just mental comments or speculation of how they could have done better if they did something differently.
I can't say I've done that. The only thing I can get mildly bothered by is if they make a mistake due to a lack of knowledge or a misinterpretation of a scene, situation, gameplay mechanic, weapon or whatever and then proceed to confidently say flat-out wrong things or blame something other than themselves.

But even then, the most I ever remember doing is a facepalm. In my mind. I'll comment on it or discuss it either here or with Pat if the chance ever arised, but I'm not particularly bothered.
I think i take the LP too seriously and expect them to be fairly good at the game. Sometimes it's just lack of trying something out that might hinder them. I don't always yell at the screen, most of it is mental comments until it's something they're missing right in front of them.

Xiraiya

I don't know, I think it's pretty rare that I get frustrated with them, I see people make comments all the time about screaming at the screen and then I think that's an overreaction, there are certain things in gaming I am pretty lenient about that other people might not be and things people don't care about but I do.

For example, I don't really care if they have like a subpar build in Dark Souls 2 or something, because that's the kind of thing you just have to figure out over time, and I know if they had severe build issues in a game like that, Pat is always going to figure it out eventually, they won't go through a whole game wondering why their character is shit.
But that kind of thing gets people really angry for some reason.

While I'll get frustrated at them looking for like a door or item they very obviously run past like 4 or 5 times or forgetting to use a mechanic they were taught and specifically try everything but that one thing to beat a puzzle and even actively be like "No it wouldn't work anyway" rather than just trying (Like the Eternal Darkness Fiasco).

I don't expect them to know everything or be amazing, I expect them to pay attention to what they're playing.
Them fucking up is part of the fun, but if it's like a Brad situation of being actively bad through not caring, then I hate that.

I definitely find them to be a lot better about missing things and general skill level compared to other Lp'ers which is why they're pretty much the only people I watch now. I don't normally get upset at them because they can't do shit perfect especially during the BB LP when they're playing the game right at release and they have to learn about stuff just like anyone else. Like the monocle thing in BB was just funny to me and if they miss stuff it's whatever as long as they don't leave in huge amounts of footage of them getting nothing done and barely saying anything to just fill out an episode.

It'd be boring as hell if they just DSP'ed it and had people in a stream chat tell them everything or just looked at GameFAQs page the whole time.

I don't know, I think that's fine, if they really don't know where to go find something, I rather they look it up and not spend 30 minutes looking.

Eh that was whatever honestly I'd rather than get to move through a game a constant smooth pace then have two or three episodes of just grinding and hunting for items.
I didn't actually mind except for the Culex fight, but it was weird/funny hearing Pat ramble about how he's getting on his phone to google shit.

Mario RPG was kinda weird that way.

Something something Pat the Cheater.

I'd prefer that they look up pertinent information to a LP without making it look so obvious.

Frankly, the guys aren't great LPers, but they're entertaining and have great Injokes and chemistry which makes their shenanigans watchable.

Great LPers like HCBailey, ChuggaConroy, Slowbeef, ProtonJon, Chip & Ironicus, and NintendoCapriSun are wholly better at providing information to the viewer but are sometimes dry or just boring to listen to.

If not for their connections to the FGC and their on screen group chemistry, I don't think I would've stuck around as long as I have or have joined GAF.

I'd prefer that they look up pertinent information to a LP without making it look so obvious.
I think Pat making it so obvious was intentional. It's kinda like admitting they're dumb, but I don't think it's as funny as he intended it to be.
Frankly, the guys aren't great LPers, but they're entertaining and have great Injokes and chemistry which makes their shenanigans watchable.

Great LPers like HCBailey, ChuggaConroy, Slowbeef, ProtonJon, Chip & Ironicus, and NintendoCapriSun are wholly better at providing information to the viewer but are sometimes dry or just boring to listen to.
This is kinda subjective, on what "good LPs" are. To be frank the Zaibuttsu mainly go for the "entertaining" route over informational, but what makes that fun for me, is that they actually have pretty deep knowledge of everything videogames and other pop culture that they tap into on occasion and can talk about.

Also they're actually super funny.

Xiraiya

That sounds terrible.
I don't need information, I can get that anywhere. That sounds like a "Let's Teach".

To me, a Let's play is exactly what it implies "Let's play a game together, it'll be fucking dumb sometimes and hilarious other times but we'll get through it." Because that's what happens when you're hanging out and decide to play through a game with friends.
The Best Friends are exactly the dynamic I imagined when I first started hearing the term.

My comments aren't a slight against the Best Friends, but some of their LPs can leave something to be desired. Having played and beaten SM RPG multiple times when I was a child, it was anti climatic to say the least when Pat and Liam pull out the information about the Lazy Shell and proceed to min-max their way through the rest of the game, not even bothering to look at the other characters or their moves. That's not something I'd expect from them.

There's plenty of room for both entertaining and informative LPs. The best LPers manage to get both done very well(Chip & Ironicus are what I imagine when "Best LPer" is mentioned)

Let's Play has only been around as long as Google Video came into existance, which isn't very long(8 years and counting). There's plenty of ways to go. Guys like Plague or MatthewMitosis or Jeff Green break down components of a game or reveal most of the Easter Eggs and break down the plot in their videos. I like these kind of LPs as well as hearing Matt quote a million Simpsons references or Hearing Pat lose his shit for the umpteenth time.

My comments aren't a slight against the Best Friends, but some of their LPs can leave something to be desired. Having played and beaten SM RPG multiple times when I was a child, it was anti climatic to say the least when Pat and Liam pull out the information about the Lazy Shell and proceed to min-max their way through the rest of the game, not even bothering to look at the other characters or their moves. That's not something I'd expect from them.

There's plenty of room for both entertaining and informative LPs. The best LPers manage to get both done very well(Chip & Ironicus are what I imagine when "Best LPer" is mentioned)

Let's Play has only been around as long as Google Video came into existance, which isn't very long(8 years and counting). There's plenty of ways to go. Guys like Plague or MatthewMitosis or Jeff Green break down components of a game or reveal most of the Easter Eggs and break down the plot in their videos. I like these kind of LPs as well as hearing Matt quote a million Simpsons references or Hearing Pat lose his shit for the umpteenth time.
Sorry for the late reply, Easter and shit, but I do totally agree with you that there's plenty of room for analysis or being informational, but they don't really have to have that goal. There's nothing wrong with just being funny and having fun, it's a good time.

The SBF aren't my favorite thing ever to be frank, people that make analytical content don't exactly tend towards the LP format as much as edited down reviews, like Matthewmatosis. I love that kind of analytical look at games more than anything, but the SBF never really set out with that in mind.

I take their knowledge and opinions as more of an element in the podcast than in the LPs, and I get what you mean, they could do a bit better by being more invested, not having so many technical issues, being more willing to edit- but I'd call that "professionalism" more than them being good, it's just them being highly entertaining and enjoyable, with the occasional technical issues.

Doing research on a game and min maxing the hell out of it? Yeah, you're right, Pat would never do that. Pat also never cheats in video games either.

I can't believe people expected him to waste FP in fights just for no raisin or to kill things faster. You save that shit for bosses.

Every time Pat talks about his obsessive desire to never use items ever in an RPG so you can save them for the final boss and not end up using them anyway and finishing the game with a bunch of them, I just think "yeah, that's totally me."

And now Pat's even got me hooked on making sure all my items in my inventory end in multiples of 5.

DAMN IT PAT.

Every time Pat talks about his obsessive desire to never use items ever in an RPG so you can save them for the final boss and not end up using them anyway and finishing the game with a bunch of them, I just think "yeah, that's totally me."

And now Pat's even got me hooked on making sure all my items in my inventory end in multiples of 5.

DAMN IT PAT.

Next you'll be opening up the cheat engine.

Next you'll be opening up the cheat engine.

"I'm already a cheater"

617x.jpg

Xiraiya

Seems like Woolie's painfully desperate attempt to have that title stick is starting to work. Difference being that Pat certainly doesn't seem to be bothered by it the same way Woolie is bothered by being an illiterate, lying murderer and a thief.
Because Woolie wants to be seen as a cool smooth guy.
Pat just doesn't give a shit, and why should he?

Zenfalcia

Sadly for Woolie, that ship has sailed a long time ago. No need to pretend not to be a massive weeb nerd, they're all fine the way they are.

I decided to catch up and the bond-a-thon and I'm liking it way more than I expected. Matt's sean connery voice is silky smooth.
Woolie's inner weeb exploded when mecha week came out and then there was japan and then there was the moments before when he talked about mangas and animes he was reading/watching... But before ALL of that, there was naruto.

Woolie's inner weeb exploded when mecha week came out and then there was japan and then there was the moments before when he talked about mangas and animes he was reading/watching... But before ALL of that, there was naruto.

there still is Naruto
Woolie will never escape it

Skrams

I watch Rooster teeth/Achievement Hunter and they've played really poorly in some games.

It's not always yelling sometimes it's just mental comments or speculation of how they could have done better if they did something differently.
I can definitely understand being mad at Rooster Teeth stuff. They're way more laid back/uncaring based off the content I've seen from them. The tiptoppest of anger I'll get from an LP is just sternly yelling at my TV/Monitor "What are you doing? Please god, no, just do the thing, please." This happens rarely and only when it's the dumbest thing. I can't remember if I've ever been that upset with a best friends thing or not. Probably once or twice during Dark Souls 2 because of Woolie's timidness/cowardliness near the beginning parts, but that might be it. I don't want to derail, but god damn, Brad during that SotC Quick Look was the exact kind of shit I hope to never see from this channel.
He didn't notice the grip meter so he just kept holding R1 and kept falling over and over off the first colossus.
Seems like Woolie's painfully desperate attempt to have that title stick is starting to work. Difference being that Pat certainly doesn't seem to be bothered by it the same way Woolie is bothered by being an illiterate, lying murderer and a thief.
I don't feel like that upsets Woolie much anymore. The thief part maybe since that's more realistic than murderer or the inability to read, but eh. Maybe it's just a seething rage though. It's also just become a staple to add dumb lore to Woolie's resume of bullshit. I do think Pat's bothered by it even if he doesn't want to admit it. His excuses of "It's a singleplayer game. I'm not hurting anyone. It's like 20 years old," were all very backpedally and higher pitched than his usual not giving a shit tone. He's becoming a bit Vinny Caravellay with sometimes just cheating to get the thing done with instead of wasting time.

Zenfalcia

there still is Naruto
Woolie will never escape it
Believe it.
Enjoyed the video, but the accent wasn't why I did.
Interesting. What was the reason then?
I can definitely understand being mad at Rooster Teeth stuff. They're way more laid back/uncaring based off the content I've seen from them. The tiptoppest of anger I'll get from an LP is just sternly yelling at my TV/Monitor "What are you doing? Please god, no, just do the thing, please." This happens rarely and only when it's the dumbest thing. I can't remember if I've ever been that upset with a best friends thing or not. Probably once or twice during Dark Souls 2 because of Woolie's timidness/cowardliness near the beginning parts, but that might be it. I don't want to derail, but god damn, Brad during that SotC Quick Look was the exact kind of shit I hope to never see from this channel.
He didn't notice the grip meter so he just kept holding R1 and kept falling over and over off the first colossus.
Yes they are, they're more for the entertainment value and the game is just a side dish. It's the worst when it's a game they have to pay attention to and is fairly unforgiving.
Damn FTL lp plus "interview" was so bad...
Dark souls wasn't too great, but to be fair, woolie was under pressure and had to shake off his habits from his magic build. It was pretty rough early on with the great sword, and some later moments. Woof, that's pretty bad... how long did it take for him to realize?

You know what? I think the best part of the MadWorld LP for me was the fact that Matt and Woolie left the door open for more PC emulated Gamecube/Wii game videos/LPs. That could give some games a really nice boost/make them not look like utter garbage at average YouTube/video resolutions. I kinda wish they'd do it for all PS1 games, but considering how often they comment on bad graphics/cool graphical techniques in those games, I can live without PC PS1 emulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom