• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, runny yolk egg is best egg though.
Yeah, it's more obvious in single player. I thought it was kinda obvious from the story alone.though, because they bring up Moira's history before and after that scene.
Matt actually asks "could I do something there" right after Pat just immediately mashed when the prompt appears.

Skrams

What's team woolie and matt saying? That sticker star is better?

I think it's just Team Liam and Pat versus Team Woolie. They think every other Square game from the time is better and there's better Mario RPGs. Woolie then cuts them off or something and they move on.

I'm siding with Pat and Liam. Despite Sticker Star and the lesser M&L games, they're still better than SMRPG as a whole. I vastly prefer their battle systems and the way the attack/defend system of timed presses is way better due to the variety of attacks. Meanwhile every attack in SMRPG is just me thinking when the fuck do I press the button to defend. It's been years since I played SMRPG so I might be forgetting something, but I couldn't even notice if there was a thing during the LP that signified it. There might of been a sound, but I couldn't hear it over them talking if there was.

Woolie seems like a guy who would defend it considering he hasn't touched the other games I think at all. He's just played SMRPG as far as I know.

Ants

What's team woolie and matt saying? That sticker star is better?

P: Axem Rangers are so overrated.
L: So overrated.
W: Ehhh!
L: And Geno, I'm gonna just go out there and say Geno's SO overrated.
P: Geno's super overrated. The fact he can hit 9999 on a generic move: sick. But, other than that--
W: You guys are over a decade displaced from the moments you're referencing.
M: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
L: Oh, I'm sure.
P: I know.
L: Even compared to its contemporaries--
W: They were exciting back in the day.
P: I know you didn't watch the LP but one of the things I took away from SMRPG is "Man, Chrono Trigger just stomps the shit out of this." And it's not like--
L: All of its contemporaries.
P: And it's not like I don't like this game because it's old, I actually really like SMRPG.
W: Yeah, I KNOW it holds up. But I'm just saying--
P: Its direct contemporaries from the same company in all directions -- before and afterwards -- stomp on it. In all of them. FF6 and Chrono Trigger...
L: FF5, FF4.
P: They stomp it. It's not even fucking close. But peoples' dicks are SO HARD over the idea of A MARIO RPG that they forget.
L: I would say that there are better Mario RPGs. There are multiple.
P: Every Mario RPG I have ever played is better.
M: Ehhhhhhhhh....
W: SO ANYWAY, CHROMA SQUAD

Matt clearly disagrees, Woolie isn't willing to actually say the hype has diminished over time although he obviously knows it has, Pat thinks it's great but the hype is unwarranted in the face of way better RPGs from the same time period, Liam feels the same as Pat.

so according to the podcast Life is Strange shits the bed eh?
not surprised at all
in other news i just finished G Gundam
now i can fully appreciate the G Gundam elements in Xenogears and thus play it finally

ZoddGutts

What movie were they talking about at 1:34 hr mark, some bollywood movie about the villain being murdered at the end by the lead character at the police station and everyone being okay with it?

Liam and Pat are technically correct, but I loved playing SMRPG as a child. Which is where the arguments put forth by the duo falter: they didn't experience it at the same time a lot of people did. It's really fucking easy to point out there are better RPGs when you can look at the entirety of the library from so many years out. I think that the love of SMRPG comes from nostalgia as well as a lot of people played it in a vacuum of sorts, even if those people also played CT, FF6, SoM, SoE, Terranigma etc. There just wasn't a drive to compare it to its contemporaries when you're playing a fun game.

Xiraiya

Life is Strange EP2 was garbage and House of Cards S3 was godlike? Man, Woolie truly going strong with wrong opinions this week.
What is Woolie's problem.
I could understand not liking certain things as much as others, but straight up calling it garbage is ridiculous.

Liam and Pat are technically correct, but I loved playing SMRPG as a child. Which is where the arguments put forth by the duo falter: they didn't experience it at the same time a lot of people did. It's really fucking easy to point out there are better RPGs when you can look at the entirety of the library from so many years out. I think that the love of SMRPG comes from nostalgia as well as a lot of people played it in a vacuum of sorts, even if those people also played CT, FF6, SoM, SoE, Terranigma etc. There just wasn't a drive to compare it to its contemporaries when you're playing a fun game.

I agree. It's the same sentiment with Earthbound. Poorly marketed by NOA, but in a vacuum is in the top 3 of RPGs for the SNES.

But to be fair to Pat, he had no childhood.

tsundoku

I agree. It's the same sentiment with Earthbound. Poorly marketed by NOA, but in a vacuum is in the top 3 of RPGs for the SNES.

But to be fair to Pat, he had no childhood.
Earthbound is really unplayable
Im about 10-12 hours into a fresh play with my best friend since we got it on C.N.
It plays like goddamn dragon warrior.

Mother 3 is the base level playable version of that engine for sure. We were absolutely charmed but are almost to the point of just looking up plot spoilers a few sanctuaries into the game.

Also Pat and Liam make a convincing argument with other sqare rpgs at the time. And Paper Mario/2 definitely improve on some of the better aspects of the combat (unique ways of attacking, when to hit buttons) but they dumb it down pretty hard and leave no depth left for the player above the age of fourteen. SMRPG has this depth that allows you to embarass the game the same way you can in the incredibly easy chrono trigger ff5 and ff6 (ff4 ends up being the hardest). Except they missed it entirely because they got the super armor and mashed physical attacks to finish the game really slowly and benched every character with good aoe (they effectively benched geno for how well they used his spells that weren't geno boost)

JoJo94

Well I guess it's about time the mods cracked down on it (a part of me thanks them for doing it though) Anyway, I have been pretty happy with the Bloodborne lp so far since they can't really play it slow so hopefully there won't be parts of them just getting frustrated and not having fun since it's more encouraging to keep trying with there being less of a risk of dying.

Im about 10-12 hours into a fresh play with my best friend since we got it on C.N.

Mother 3 is the base level playable version of that engine for sure. We were absolutely charmed but are almost to the point of just looking up plot spoilers a few sanctuaries into the game.

Also Pat and Liam make a convincing argument with other sqare rpgs at the time. And Paper Mario/2 definitely improve on some of the better aspects of the combat (unique ways of attacking, when to hit buttons) but they dumb it down pretty hard and leave no depth left for the player above the age of fourteen. SMRPG has this depth that allows you to embarass the game the same way you can in the incredibly easy chrono trigger ff5 and ff6 (ff4 ends up being the hardest). Except they missed it entirely because they got the super armor and mashed physical attacks to finish the game really slowly and benched every character with good aoe (they effectively benched geno for how well they used his spells that weren't geno boost)

If you look up Earthbound spoilers and stop playing, you are figuratively robbing yourself of a great game.

And I definitely wasn't a fan of the LP of SMRPG for mostly the same reasons you bring up.

I didn't grow up with Dragon Warrior, but I can see how the comparison would be apt.

Earthbound was an experience moreso than an incredibly techincal video game or graphical showcase. Some mechanics I wished carried over into other RPGs(like the spinning HP/PP meter), but the story arc and key moments in the game resonate emotionally with me. Mother 3 manages to top Earthbound in all respects, especially with narrative. You are doing yourselves a disservice if you are choosing to just watch Mother 3.

tsundoku

If you look up Earthbound spoilers and stop playing, you are figuratively robbing yourself of a great game.

And I definitely wasn't a fan of the LP of SMRPG for mostly the same reasons you bring up.
I know i'd be robbing us. But I want him to play mother 3 while i'm away and we have maybe 2 - 4/6 hour play sessions left with four sanctuaries to go.

I know i'd be robbing us. But I want him to play mother 3 while i'm away and we have maybe 2 - 4/6 hour play sessions left with four sanctuaries to go.

And it'd be worth the time if you don't pressure yourself or your friend to get to Mother 3. Buy bottle rockets by the dozen if you have to make the combat go by quicker

Well I guess it's about time the mods cracked down on it (a part of me thanks them for doing it though) Anyway, I have been pretty happy with the Bloodborne lp so far since they can't really play it slow so hopefully there won't be parts of them just getting frustrated and not having fun since it's more encouraging to keep trying with there being less of a risk of dying.

Who the hell are you?!
Welcome back!

Didn't finish the podcast last night but man did I love all the movie talk.

Amongst gods like Chrono Trigger and FF6, SMRPG is a very basic JRPG with very basic Mario-like exploration. It's OK and all but the Mario RPGs really shined once they expanded on action commands and made their own battle systems. The Paper Mario and the Mario 'n Luigi series are great because they're unique RPG experiences.

BossRush

I loved earthbound, both when I first played it and on my subsequent playthrough. Maybe I'm just a huge sucker for Dragon Quest though, but it's got a lot of charm that it never ceases to make me smile, even though I'll fully admit it has its glaring flaws.
y

demidar

Amongst gods like Chrono Trigger and FF6, SMRPG is a very basic JRPG with very basic Mario-like exploration. It's OK and all but the Mario RPGs really shined once they expanded on action commands and made their own battle systems. The Paper Mario and the Mario 'n Luigi series are great because they're unique RPG experiences.

I've sort of dropped Bowser Inside Story, which I didn't think would happen. Collecting the Star Cures felt like padding. I'm up to what I think is the final dungeon but I just can't muster up any motivation to finish it off, which is disappointing.

Zenfalcia

I think it's just Team Liam and Pat versus Team Woolie. They think every other Square game from the time is better and there's better Mario RPGs. Woolie then cuts them off or something and they move on.

I'm siding with Pat and Liam. Despite Sticker Star and the lesser M&L games, they're still better than SMRPG as a whole. I vastly prefer their battle systems and the way the attack/defend system of timed presses is way better due to the variety of attacks. Meanwhile every attack in SMRPG is just me thinking when the fuck do I press the button to defend. It's been years since I played SMRPG so I might be forgetting something, but I couldn't even notice if there was a thing during the LP that signified it. There might of been a sound, but I couldn't hear it over them talking if there was.

Woolie seems like a guy who would defend it considering he hasn't touched the other games I think at all. He's just played SMRPG as far as I know.
I wonder why woolie cut them off. Maybe he had thoughts about it but didn't want to continue the conversation... He hasn't? He really should! Mario and luigi and paper mario are great.

Didn't they skip over the tutorials? There might have been some tip explaining them that they completely missed.
Matt clearly disagrees, Woolie isn't willing to actually say the hype has diminished over time although he obviously knows it has, Pat thinks it's great but the hype is unwarranted in the face of way better RPGs from the same time period, Liam feels the same as Pat.
Thanks for the transcript, you really didn't have to. yeah, it looks like woolie has some attachment to SMRPG. I wish they continued to conversation, perhaps in a letter time question next week.. or never.

beinfilms

I have to say, I'm really sad about this "Life is Strange episode 2 is terrible" sentiment in the Zaibatsu. Personally, I really liked it!

Reedirect

I have to say, I'm really sad about this "Life is Strange episode 2 is terrible" sentiment in the Zaibatsu. Personally, I really liked it!

Most people did. I'm actually surprised Woolie didn't really notice how well they've used your decisions from EP1 in EP2's finale, or how thorough interaction with the world and investment in the dialogue with other characters surprisingly pays off in the end.

Still pretty excited for Matt and Liam's take on it.

Man. Pat liked Ip Man 2? Fuck that film. That finale is dumb as fuck. I cannot stand it. Like no. It was dumb. Fucking dumb. Fuck it so hard.

Oh hey I'm listening to the podcast with Pat talking about films.

Also there is no Ip Man 4, that film is unrelated to the other series.

JoJo94

Most people did. I'm actually surprised Woolie didn't really notice how well they've used your decisions from EP1 in EP2's finale, or how thorough interaction with the world and investment in the dialogue with other characters suprisingly pays off in the end.

Still pretty excited for Matt and Liam's take on it.

That's what I heard too, haven't had a chance to play it yet but I heard it was great so their take on it really surprised me.

Oh man Liam is starting to look like Kenny in the preview video.

Shackzam

Man. Pat liked Ip Man 2? Fuck that film. That finale is dumb as fuck. I cannot stand it. Like no. It was dumb. Fucking dumb. Fuck it so hard.

Oh hey I'm listening to the podcast with Pat talking about films.

Also there is no Ip Man 4, that film is unrelated to the other series.
But it's the good dumb. You love it

That Woolie always having terrible opinions like usual

tumblr_n9kqlpD1191te8atko1_500.gif

Squishy3

Its all my fault. I tweeted him everyday and told him that HxH is better than Reboot.
Carebear strikes again. Listen to Tell Me Why 5 times as penance.

I hadn't listened to the podcast bit where they got the artstyle email and Woolie talking in response to Pat dismissing it on the main characters said that's not why he dropped it, and I'm sure he went into detail to Pat off-recording to explain why he dropped it. I also can't really blame Woolie for dropping it, either, considering the Hunter's Examination essentially boils down to the Chuunin exam except without the sick Rock Lee vs Gaara fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom