• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHoot

I really hope they don't miss out on a certain sidequest as it's super cool and gives you a fucking rad armor, but I would not blame them if they did. It's easy to miss.

Yeah it's a bit obtuse, although would be great. Just to see them fighting the final chikage hunter asshole

I'm more worried that they might miss cainhurst tho

Yeah it's a bit obtuse, although would be great. Just to see them fighting the final chikage hunter asshole

I'm more worried that they might miss cainhurst tho
They already jizzed so hard at moments earlier in this LP, imagine their reactions to
that hunter also being able to fucking shadow step.

Ilvocare

I might be a little detached from BB due to the chief aspect of not owning the game, but I honestly prefer the Best Friends not doing every little thing possible in a game or RPG. Because their positive reactions to a game I'd want in the future means that I'll be able to grab that game and not have EVERYTHING spoiled (which will be proven come the time I grab Revengence).

If it's something I already own then I get to see "hmmm now how will they get through this without that thing?"

I can take comfort in those scenarios at least.

aly

Woolie's insistent need to cash echoes in, and the selling of armors may mean that he's in the mindset that this is a RPG. The Souls games are barely RPGs, and Bloodborne is less RPG than they are. It is horizontal progression the entire way through, and the sooner he drops this mindset, the sooner the LP becomes great.

I had to go look up what horizontal progression meant and now that makes so much sense. The confusing part is why Pat would have this trouble after playing the other 3. Tbh I would be less miffed about the armor if they would just look at it at least. Can't wait till they start selling weapons!

You folks don't know what you're missing man, so many situations can be solved with a longer range and a wider sweep.

All with a dash of class.

I've got all the combat stats at 50, and seven different +10 weapons. The cane (kitted out with cursed damage gems that lower durability) remains my "problem solver".

Like, I try to use a different weapon 99% of the time for the sake of variety, but if shit gets real, the cane comes out. I've yet to have anyone survive it in PVP, and it's a sure-kill for those Cursed/Fetid/Rotten Chalice bosses that are just too horeshit to fight on an even keel.

I haven't found a better all-around weapon, period. Ludwig's is fun for clearing out trash mobs, but complete garbage on most bosses. Tonitrus is good one some bosses, but awful on others, and terrible for work-a-day villager bashing. The Blades of Mercy are the closest, but they're just super awful on some of the "giant" bosses. The Chikage's probably good enough if you've got huge Liam-esque tanooki balls, but I prefer to take my time with most fights.

Hearing Pat's "Fashion-borne" logic in this latest video just baffles me and brings up my whole problem with the armor sets in souls games in the past. I want to mix and match pieces into something that still looks cohesive, and since many of Bloodborne's armor pieces have so many common factors in design, why the fuck would you stick to using the full set if you care about "fashion"? Especially when equip load isn't a factor in this?

Just my line of thought coming from Armored Core where parts aren't designed in sets that are meant to be together to look "right."

Hearing Pat's "Fashion-borne" logic in this latest video just baffles me and brings up my whole problem with the armor sets in souls games in the past. I want to mix and match pieces into something that still looks cohesive, and since many of Bloodborne's armor pieces have so many common factors in design, why the fuck would you stick to using the full set if you care about "fashion"? Especially when equip load isn't a factor in this?

Just my line of thought coming from Armored Core where parts aren't designed in sets that are meant to be together to look "right."

Pat's entire Souls logic seems to be muddy.

There's not much reason to use full sets in Bloodborne, honestly. The chest piece is the only one with truly significant stats, and even then there's only a few cases where it's going to matter enough to be worth worrying about.

Like, I keep hearing people say to go get armor with Poison Resist for Blood-Starved Beast. You can get like, what, 50 extra poison resistance that way? You need like +300 for it to even do very much.

The only times I've actually found armor stats to be significant were when I needed just enough resist to avoid getting one-shot by something. (Why hallo thar, Defiled Chalice Watchdog.) Particularly, on NG+ and ++ I went the entire game without changing armor once.

MrHoot

It's pretty much why i'm baffled they're selling pieces. To bring up Fashionsouls/borne and then a minute later just sell your armor is completely weird

ky2E5kK.png

It's strange that this run and what Pat, and maybe Woolie, would consider his canon run are going to be two different things. Once this LP wraps up, Pat will have gone through the game again before the videos stop going up. Even if we could have some impact on the progression of the LP, it's pretty much moot.

Beloved

That's glorious.

There's honestly no reason to hold on to any set you don't wanna use cause the stats are negligible but it still irritates something deep inside me to see anyone sell something unique.

I don't usually hold on to stuff I'm not going to use regardless of if it's unique. The exception being in a game like Skyrim or some such where you have a place where you can actually display the cool things you collect, but even then I don't keep every unique item.

There's not much reason to use full sets in Bloodborne, honestly. The chest piece is the only one with truly significant stats, and even then there's only a few cases where it's going to matter enough to be worth worrying about.

Like, I keep hearing people say to go get armor with Poison Resist for Blood-Starved Beast. You can get like, what, 50 extra poison resistance that way? You need like +300 for it to even do very much.

The only times I've actually found armor stats to be significant were when I needed just enough resist to avoid getting one-shot by something. (Why hallo thar, Defiled Chalice Watchdog.) Particularly, on NG+ and ++ I went the entire game without changing armor once.

In a game like Bloodborne, armor sets mean very little. You are not going to get any big armor boost to make use of the defenses. Just use what's cool, and move on.

But Woolie keeps fucking mixmaxing with his armor.

In a game like Bloodborne, armor sets mean very little. You are not going to get any big armor boost to make use of the defenses. Just use what's cool, and move on.

But Woolie keeps fucking mixmaxing with his armor.

I don't know. The poison defense on a certain hunter's armor helped significantly at points, while an armor with high bolt resist helped for another one of the bosses.

Switching up armor has its uses, but you can argue that its really just about the fashion souls, more so than any other Miyazaki game.

I don't know. The poison defense on a certain hunter's armor helped significantly at points, while an armor with high bolt resist helped for another one of the bosses.

Switching up armor has its uses, but you can argue that its really just about the fashion souls, more so than any other Miyazaki game.

The only I switched armors was for a bullshit frenzy zone. I mean, I understand why he's minmaxing, but it's kinda irritating to see them take a RPG esque approach to the game, when it's not.

And besides, resists don't mean shit until you start stacking into the 300s.

aly

Lol.

I gotta say Life is strange seems really dumb. Like watching the playthrough, although tis hilarious, puts me off on the game. I think it's because I hate all the characters. I'm not sure if they are suppose to be unlikable though. At least the game runs well.

The only I switched armors was for a bullshit frenzy zone. I mean, I understand why he's minmaxing, but it's kinda irritating to see them take a RPG esque approach to the game, when it's not.

And besides, resists don't mean shit until you start stacking into the 300s.

Its not really surprising for Woolie when DS2 had way more to do with numbers than any souls game before it, and that's his only experience with the series. Pat is just a whore for min/maxing to the point where he'd actually use cheat engines to make his numbers as optimal as they can get.

Numbers mean less than they ever have in BB and its an adjustment they'll probably soon realize and make when they realize stats aren't important anymore aside from the usual weapon fortifiying/scaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom