• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right because all SMT protagonists are boring and bland characters

To a point Pat's right since the characters are largely defined by their actions and endings, but not in big ways. There should be an MKX-like variation system to represent the routes available in each game to each character. Otherwise a character can get "canonized" to the detriment of the fandom. It's the same problem with Persona 4 where
the S-Link completions aren't canon since the sequels don't give the Investigation Team their upgraded Personas

To a point Pat's right since the characters are largely defined by their actions and endings, but not in big ways. There should be an MKX-like variation system to represent the routes available in each game to each character. Otherwise a character can get "canonized" to the detriment of the fandom. It's the same problem with Persona 4 where
the S-Link completions aren't canon since the sequels don't give the Investigation Team their upgraded Personas

I think most people have already accepted the fact that
True Demon Ending is the canon demi-fiend. And I haven't even finished the game yet.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Confirmation Warren is the Origami killer.
BxtoTZN.jpg

Same. But bringing out Demi-Fiend doesn't save the other protagonists. If the canon Flynn is Law, he'd probably be as boring as Jonathan.

I'd always just assume that going with the ending with the most content/story is the canon one from normal SMT logic, but either way story/characters doesn't have much to do with characters being in a fighting game.

Then again, this is the persona universe where everything is canon, so Atlus would never let something like that happen.

Same. But bringing out Demi-Fiend doesn't save the other protagonists. If the canon Flynn is Law, he'd probably be as boring as Jonathan.
Not necessarily... SMT1 has a canon route due to Law and Chaos routes don't have games backed up for their endings which most likely due to
the human race being basically nonexistent
in both of those endings. There are also details in story sections that people/demons noticed about the SMT1 protagonist and weird quirky interactions with the demons in both SMTI and II.

I really think Pat should play and finish at least half of the games before making an opinion about all the SMT protagonists.

I really don't know why there's a guide to watching Gintama. I mean its cool that there's a detailed episode guide, but just letting people go and watch from beginning to end is the best way. There's a clear difference in quality between the later episodes and earlier ones (like any other great show), but there's nothing wrong with the first 20 episodes. They're still great and give good introductions to all the characters in some pretty hilarious ways. I couldn't even imagine skipping a single episode of this show. Even its "recap" episode was amazing.

It's really just a guide to what episodes have the big arcs if you want to get to those first. But yeah watching the first 20 episodes is generally recommended across the board. It's a pretty old guide that was created to just point to when people go "WHERE DO I START THERE'S 267 EPISODES AND MORE COMING OH GOD" and help convince people that yes, it is worth it to watch literally all 267 episodes. Gintama is special in that it never feels like there's filler, it just remains consistent which is a pretty big deal

Also they animated an opening in Microsoft Paint because in an arc they kill the mangaka and I think some animators from Sunrise

Yes there's a Gundam arc. Yes the mangaka probably created the Gundam arc because Sunrise animates Gintama.

It's really just a guide to what episodes have the big arcs if you want to get to those first. But yeah watching the first 20 episodes is generally recommended across the board. It's a pretty old guide that was created to just point to when people go "WHERE DO I START THERE'S 267 EPISODES AND MORE COMING OH GOD" and help convince people that yes, it is worth it to watch literally all 267 episodes. Gintama is special in that it never feels like there's filler, it just remains consistent which is a pretty big deal

Also they animated an opening in Microsoft Paint because in an arc they kill the mangaka and I think some animators from Sunrise

Yes there's a Gundam arc. Yes the mangaka probably created the Gundam arc because Sunrise animates Gintama.
are you talking about the episode where
the reporter goes to a small village asking about the white yaksha aka gintoki and the old mans story turns out to be about a gundam and is there to celebrate thr 40 or whatever anniversary of gundam?
Also really hoping pat sticks to the series, I mean the first couple of episodes are REALLY slow and it does kick up by episode 20 but pat and woolie have that whole 7 episode or bust thing so ehhhh I hope Liam convinces him to keep at it. Also woolie thinking THE moment is just gintoki talking about why filler exists makes me go "bruh...you dont even KNOW what the moment is....cause you havent seen the show and there are so many THE moments."

Ants

Huh, I lost track of these threads for a while. Finally found it once more

So Pat mentioned Gintama on the recent podcast (only just listened to it today) and how he wasn't sure if he even watched the first few episodes. Here's a guide on how to penetrate that huge series and has some of the best arcs listed. Hopefully Pat see's this if he's still interested in checking it out. Also the images are REALLY big even within quotes so I'll just leave them as links.

Part 1: http://i.imgur.com/VpfMwBM.jpg
Part 2: http://i.imgur.com/Tcb7T0S.jpg

Gintama is my favourite manga series, but it's such a hard sell to a lot of people. Its brand of humour is hyper specific, and the references and puns will fly over most peoples heads (to be fair, there are references in that series that only 30-40 year old Japanese dudes/dudettes will understand).

My personal favourite serious arc is the Courtesian of a Nation arc (I'm a fan of Tsukuyo, to say the least), and my favourite comedy arc is the Scandal arc.

Assuming that's accurate, Pat must be confused because episode 3 is chronologically the first one.

I really don't know why there's a guide to watching Gintama. I mean its cool that there's a detailed episode guide, but just letting people go and watch from beginning to end is the best way. There's a clear difference in quality between the later episodes and earlier ones (like any other great show), but there's nothing wrong with the first 20 episodes. They're still great and give good introductions to all the characters in some pretty hilarious ways. I couldn't even imagine skipping a single episode of this show. Even its "recap" episode was amazing.

I mean, I know when I was showing friends Detective Conan, I referenced the episode guide and only showed them episodes with character/plot development, because that show is like 98% (good) filler, and it's hard to penetrate (but easy to go back to if you like the show). I could see such a guide being useful fo rpeople with low patience for some shit.

I just giggled like a madman over that avatar. Fuck.

I'm really glad Liam told me about Yandere sim. Looks awesome.

Combines two of my favorite things ever perfectly into one avatar.

Playing something like Yandere Simulator without the Punished Snake costume would almost feel like a crime at this point. It'll be the Peacewalker I've always wanted.

Playing something like Yandere Simulator without the Punished Snake costume would almost feel like a crime at this point. It'll be the Peacewalker I've always wanted.
If senpai sees you he should go "You played me like a god damn fiddle!"

Okay, that is a really poor defense for a story or game of any type.

I think the problem with the GoT game is like I said, out of all the type of games they could have made for the GoT world they made a game that might make sense to fan of the series for the depth of characters, but isn't exactly a good game.

"LET'S SEE YOU DO BETTER"
"JUST ENJOY IT"

Lol

This is the worst defense . By this logic, almost no one could voice criticism about anything.

Literally the worst defense of a game's story. Or anything, for that matter.

I'm not defending anything, but that's some nice syncronization you guys have going on there.

You guys really are too picky though. You loved the LP at first but now you hate it because I don't know.

I'm not defending anything, but that's some nice syncronization you guys have going on there.

You guys really are too picky though. You loved the LP at first but now you hate it because I don't know.
I'm not even watching GoT because of spoilers, I, and they, are just mocking:
Please write a better story
Dismissing criticism by asking "Well can you do better?" is silly.

Skrams

Went through all of the Life is Strange parts because I was bored and cracked. I'm surprised people are making this out to be a bad game. It actually looks decent/interesting. The writing is definitely French people trying to write a story taking place in hipster America with amazeballs and shit. It's a thing I cringe at and constantly say fuck you at, but I don't think it drags down the game much. The story seems so slow and miniscule that I wonder if there really will be any big things that happen.
The tornado could be a real deal, but it feels like it's just a metaphor to me at the moment.
If the developers were going for this effect though with days feeling long and important because you're in high school then good job, I guess. Everyone is constantly freaking out over little things because it's a video game where you make decisions and that high school mentality is there I'd assume. Warren is also clingy and I hope he's the Origami Killer or whatever the fuck this weird shit is leading to.
I also like the word hella, but that's probably because Jeff Gerstmann like ArclightBorealis said the other day. The game uses it hella poorly though.

Liam was also pretty hilarious in this LP and Woolie is bad at bottle hunting.

Went through all of the Life is Strange parts because I was bored and cracked. I'm surprised people are making this out to be a bad game. It actually looks decent/interesting. The writing is definitely French people trying to write a story taking place in hipster America with amazeballs and shit. It's a thing I cringe at and constantly say fuck you at, but I don't think it drags down the game much. The story seems so slow and miniscule that I wonder if there really will be any big things that happen.
The tornado could be a real deal, but it feels like it's just a metaphor to me at the moment.
If the developers were going for this effect though with days feeling long and important because you're in high school then good job, I guess. Everyone is constantly freaking out over little things because it's a video game where you make decisions and that high school mentality is there I'd assume. Warren is also clingy and I hope he's the Origami Killer or whatever the fuck this weird shit is leading to.
I also like the word hella, but that's probably because Jeff Gerstmann like ArclightBorealis said the other day. The game uses it hella poorly though.

Liam was also pretty hilarious in this LP and Woolie is bad at bottle hunting.

I'll be looking to pick up the game once all of the parts are released. It interests me how even very slight details affect the next episode.

Liam is growing salty with all of the Warren comparisons. I can't blame him. Warren is terrible. And creepy.

I wonder if this is all going to lead up to Warren being the hero and saving Max from Nathan or something dumb like that.

Hey guys, so they talked about some robot movie to find on youtube. They even gave gave a vague suggestion on what to put in the search bar but of course I forgot.

Anyone recall what is was?

Zenfalcia

Damn.. It's too good. I didn't even know it was in the game.
Hey guys, so they talked about some robot movie to find on youtube. They even gave gave a vague suggestion on what to put in the search bar but of course I forgot.

Anyone recall what is was?
Uhh... Which one? There's multiple mecha movies they talked about.. Was it from a podcast or video?

Damn.. It's too good. I didn't even know it was in the game.

Uhh... Which one? There's multiple mecha movies they talked about.. Was it from a podcast or video?

Yeah I believe it was podcast 87. I don't want to believe my memory is that terrible if it its from 88.
It might be Indian film or about I robot. Or thats were my mind wandered to thus ignoring what they were saying for a few haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom