• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okingjrr

To not complain about Bloodborne,
cause I'd be going in circles...
I was playing MKX a while ago and every single time I saw Kotal Kahn, I just saw Woolie, it's a little weird.

Then again, he is a video game character design.

Alfebit

Banned
Well i mean I am french (well, swiss-french) but we would pronounce it like most people pronounce it "Gass-coïnne", not GasDUCKNOISE. And Gas-Coin seemed like the most correct english pronunciation for me

This made me laugh pretty hard. It's the exact noise I hear every time he says the name.

Archgan

I just started listening to the various versions of Green Greens after showing my brother the Bloodborne version and was trying to find which one the Best Friends use. I had always thought it was the Epic Yarn one, but that doesn't seem to be true. I couldn't find their version so does anyone know which game it is from or if it is a cover?

Edit: I just realized that the scaffolding item their are talking about in BB is one of the items in the big church area and Pat misinterpreted German Spy's advice. Spy meant to drop after climbing up the first ladder to the gattling gun.

Okingjrr

I just started listening to the various versions of Green Greens after showing my brother the Bloodborne version and was trying to find which one the Best Friends use. I had always thought it was the Epic Yarn one, but that doesn't seem to be true. I couldn't find their version so does anyone know which game it is from or if it is a cover?

Edit: I just realized that the scaffolding item their are talking about in BB is one of the items in the big church area and Pat misinterpreted German Spy's advice. Spy meant to drop after climbing up the first ladder to the gattling gun.

It is the Epic Yarn version, it's just that the Best Friends part kicks in 38 seconds in
https://youtu.be/GxgNYuEehYo?t=38s

Do you really care about DBZ? Do you really? Reeeally?

After DB ended, it was all just about scaling up the power and the fights and the amount of damage that could be done to the VAs' throats.

Until we get a SBFP of Rage vs Dumplin in DBZX, you really shouldn't give a shit about DBZ.

I tell myself I don't care about DBZ anymore then something always happens to make me care just enough about it again.

I actually really enjoy this cross-media stuff between Spy, Plague and the SBF lately. Even just them talking about it. It's kinda cool seeing people I like interact and talk about stuff.

Plague and Spy talking in Dark Souls is kinda awesome.

Fat4all

Banned
Really sets the bar for the next Mario Kart. The crossover tracks would be limitless.

I'm actually hoping that Mario Kart 9 goes back to 3DS, MAYBE as a 'New 3DS' game so they can take full advantage of the extra power.

I just really loved Mario Kart DS and 7, I find myself playing Mario Kart 7 more with friends than 8.

Nice how they fucked up I-frames tying them to a stat to make dodging less viable for the early game though.

Pretty swell.

The part that bothers me more about it is that learning the timing of dodging enemy attacks is an aptitude, and changing the i-frames on the dodge changes the timing, essentially causing the player's practice in that skill to no longer apply the way it used to.

There's nothing wrong with introducing new skills to the player or asking them to expand the skills they've learned through new applications, but it's generally a huge mistake of game design to make it feel like you're invalidating a skill they've learned. As an example, imagine if halfway through Portal the rules changed and the player's directional vector no longer re-oriented to the exit point of a portal upon passing through, but rather remained absolute with respect to the world. Yes, now there's new things they can learn with portals, and the game isn't necessarily worse on the whole, but you've basically taken away gravity launching and other related techniques the player has learned; they're not going to be happy about it.

Like, imagine if every point you put in Strength beyond the prerequisite to wield a weapon also increased the speed of your swings slightly. Now you're having to relearn whether or not your combo string is fast enough to stunlock specific enemies, whether or not you have enough time to safely get a second hit in during the opening after a boss whiffs a specific attack, etc. You spent time and cognitive effort learning those things, whether you realized it or not, and you're likely to be unhappy if you're constantly having to re-learn those conceptual skills.

Altairre

Had they not picked up the badge and just went on believing Liam about not getting the Pile Bunker, I think I might have ruptured a spleen right there.

That said, given how they dumped the Cane and Hammer for that whore-axe (she's easy, get it?) there's no way they would stick through with the Stake Driver even if they get it.

I mean they're doing pretty badly even with the axe. So for the sake of this playthrough maybe we should be glad about that. They should abuse the charged R2 way more, you have more time to use that than you'd think even in fights against hunters.

I mean they're doing pretty badly even with the axe. So for the sake of this playthrough maybe we should be glad about that. They should abuse the charged R2 way more, you have more time to use that than you'd think even in fights against hunters.

Yeah, charged R2's are pretty handy as long as you aren't using Ludwig's. (I mean, Ludwig's R2 is still useful, you're just not going to get to fully charge it against anything the least bit dangerous, considering how long it takes.)

I'm not sure if I actually like the blind playthrough better or not. I hate to say it, but the Game Grumps playthrough (where Egoraptor has obviously already played through the entire game) has actually been pretty solid. At the very least, I wouldn't mind Pat and Woolie making use of better information resources than Liam.

Or not making use of any information resources. Just... stop taking any advice from Liam, really.

Just a general reminder, but these videos were recorded back when the game come out. I wouldn't be surprised if they're at the end of the game now, based on what Pat's said.

Huh, I lost track of these threads for a while. Finally found it once more

So Pat mentioned Gintama on the recent podcast (only just listened to it today) and how he wasn't sure if he even watched the first few episodes. Here's a guide on how to penetrate that huge series and has some of the best arcs listed. Hopefully Pat see's this if he's still interested in checking it out. Also the images are REALLY big even within quotes so I'll just leave them as links.

Part 1: http://i.imgur.com/VpfMwBM.jpg
Part 2: http://i.imgur.com/Tcb7T0S.jpg

Gintama is my favourite manga series, but it's such a hard sell to a lot of people. Its brand of humour is hyper specific, and the references and puns will fly over most peoples heads (to be fair, there are references in that series that only 30-40 year old Japanese dudes/dudettes will understand).

My personal favourite serious arc is the Courtesian of a Nation arc (I'm a fan of Tsukuyo, to say the least), and my favourite comedy arc is the Scandal arc.

Huh, I lost track of these threads for a while. Finally found it once more

So Pat mentioned Gintama on the recent podcast (only just listened to it today) and how he wasn't sure if he even watched the first few episodes. Here's a guide on how to penetrate that huge series and has some of the best arcs listed. Hopefully Pat see's this if he's still interested in checking it out. Also the images are REALLY big even within quotes so I'll just leave them as links.

Part 1: http://i.imgur.com/VpfMwBM.jpg
Part 2: http://i.imgur.com/Tcb7T0S.jpg

Gintama is my favourite manga series, but it's such a hard sell to a lot of people. Its brand of humour is hyper specific, and the references and puns will fly over most peoples heads (to be fair, there are references in that series that only 30-40 year old Japanese dudes/dudettes will understand).

My personal favourite serious arc is the Courtesian of a Nation arc (I'm a fan of Tsukuyo, to say the least), and my favourite comedy arc is the Scandal arc.

I really don't know why there's a guide to watching Gintama. I mean its cool that there's a detailed episode guide, but just letting people go and watch from beginning to end is the best way. There's a clear difference in quality between the later episodes and earlier ones (like any other great show), but there's nothing wrong with the first 20 episodes. They're still great and give good introductions to all the characters in some pretty hilarious ways. I couldn't even imagine skipping a single episode of this show. Even its "recap" episode was amazing.

Xiraiya

Watching the most recent GoT part, it's very much apparent Matt is tired of the GoT game and doesn't want to even be playing it as he can't seem to shut the fuck up for five seconds without forcing out jokes.
It's just like fucking relax a little bit, what's the point in doing an LP of the game if you come across as obviously wanting to rush to be done with it as soon as possible and not really explore options.

It's not the best game even if you're a GoT Fan but it's not bad or anything, it just comes off like Matt has no attention span.

Which I guess well.. surprise surprise.

I'm a little fatigued with this GoT stuff. Maybe it's just the Telltale games in general, or the style of game, but there's just nothing that I care about happening. It's just a visual novel with less titties.

aly

Eh, Gohan being sidelined makes sense. Plus DB even before Z always had the lesson (There is always someone stronger)

I will never accept this explanation and I just can't since Goku is still there and getting better all the time. Even though I liked a few things about the Buu Saga, I still like to pretend that it ended with Cell and Gohan went to live with Piccolo somewhere becoming a beast while Goten is never born.

Also hope the next BB video has them leaving Old Yharnam and moving on.

Gintama stuff

I might use this to try to get my sister into the series with me. I really regret that I dropped the show a long time ago due to those dull first episodes and had to catch up all at once. HopePat keeps giving it a chance.

I'm a little fatigued with this GoT stuff. Maybe it's just the Telltale games in general, or the style of game, but there's just nothing that I care about happening. It's just a visual novel with less titties.

Even for a Telltale game, GoT is a bunch of nothing.

Like, it's astonishing that they made a product so nothing. Telltale is certainly the masters in that craft.

Like, it's astonishing that they made a product so nothing. Telltale is certainly the masters in that craft.

Is it just nothing? That's disappointing.

I haven't watched an episode because of my lost interest in GoT. Matt x Woolie just ain't doing it for me.

Is it just nothing? That's disappointing.

I haven't watched an episode because of my lost interest in GoT. Matt x Woolie just ain't doing it for me.
Matt and Woolie seems to pick the worst games for their LPs. Even a hype game like Def Jam started to wear thin at the end.
Please write a better story. You guys are way too picky.
I usually don't care about a game's story, but when that's all it is, I'm coming in with some high expectations, and GoT did not meet them.

Shame, because even though I hate the entirety of the Borderlands universe, Telltale Borderlands isn't even bad, and Wolf Among Us was fanastic. But everything else since Walking Dead S1 has been subpar.

And they still haven't fixed their garbage engine and bugs.

360pages

Please write a better story. You guys are way too picky.

Okay, that is a really poor defense for a story or game of any type.

I think the problem with the GoT game is like I said, out of all the type of games they could have made for the GoT world they made a game that might make sense to fan of the series for the depth of characters, but isn't exactly a good game.

Maybe it's because they stretched themselves thin? I mean, how many projects have they worked on since their got started up? I can't imagine they'd be able to bring their A game for WDs2, wolf, TfB, and GoT all at the same time. Or they just dropped the ball on this one. I dunno. All I know is the GoT episodes bored the hell outta me.

After seeing what Dontnod can do what that same kind of telltale gameplay(albeit it looks like the same Unreal engine that's used in Downpour) I prefer future storybook games use the Unreal engine like in Life is strange over what Telltale does in TWD and The Wolf Among Us.

If you had the time and money you'd just make Ultimax or a Xenosaga clone :)

I would fund a monolith made Xenosaga 4 long before I tried to make one of my own. Or just fund one of the side stories about Ziggy that only made it on Japan cellphones. ALSO, A NEW VERSION OF ULTIMAX WITH SMT/Persona 1/2 CHARACTERS WOULD BE SO HYPE.

I would fund a monolith made Xenosaga 4 long before I tried to make one of my own. Or just fund one of the side stories about Ziggy that only made it on Japan cellphones. ALSO, A NEW VERSION OF ULTIMAX WITH SMT/Persona 1/2 CHARACTERS WOULD BE SO HYPE.

And the Best Friends still wouldn't play it for FNF

And the Best Friends still wouldn't play it for FNF

You're right because all SMT protagonists are boring and bland characters

demifiend1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom