• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anung

Un Rama
Gaskwang might be my trigger word *detonates*

Norway is very Twin Peaks. Loads of fog and massive trees. You can only by beer by 6 o'clock which just sounds like madness to me.

Fuck all the haters though absolutely love the Bloodborne LP. Can't wait to amass a few episodes to consume in one sitting.

I stopped watching the revelaitons LP after episode 1's conclusion. I don't want to spoil everything that Natalya and Barry go through.

I'm also interested in getting the game, so there's that.

So I've been mulling over talking about Woolie's comments on Gamestop now selling retro games as it's been 5 days since the podcast but fuck it.

It just feels like he expects way too much from that store. Most Gamestops have limited shelf space. It makes sense for them to only sell games from consoles that people still play on. If they want to test out selling some retro games then let them at it but he seemed pretty angry. I don't think Gamestop is obligated to sell every video game they can get their hands on just because some mom and pop shop would.

I think Woolie more took offense to his perception of the press, which (he thinks) was celebrating this return of retro games. That was a mistake on his part, I feel, because the press may have just been reporting on the fact that it was happening and maybe got quotes from people who were happy with the change.

Like me. The only game stores in my area are Gamestop and Walmart, no mom-and-pop around here. I think those small gaming stores are pretty much dead everywhere except cities.

The fuck. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1035616

Capcom's all over DMC of a sudden. Makes me wonder if they're just going to spontaneously remember they own Megaman at some point.

dtk5wp4eyzg024e4d1mnlbdws.500x384x1.jpg

Dude, Itsuno's fucking wanted to make a Rival Schools game since forever, and after Darkstalkers Resurrection failed the Capcom Test you'd think they'd start with this again?

I don't know. I really don't know what to believe when it comes to Capcom anymore. They just seem to be doing things completely at random.

So, I'm trying to play through Scholar of the First Sin, but I'm going to ask here on the grounds that the people in the threads for this game are hyper-sensitive and likely to throw a fit if I say it there...

Did they seriously just triple the number of Hollows in the Forest of Fallen Giants in lieu of putting any actual thought into... anything? This area was already garbage for having ten times more enemies and twenty times more cheesy "gotcha" ambushes than it needed, who really thought it needed more of either?

I'm honestly not convinced this isn't worse than the original release. The "remix" enemy locations seem to be blindly randomized rather than intended to address serious issues the game had with the way areas flow. I've got a bad feeling I'm going to end up wishing I had a switch to "un-Scholar" this since I gave away my original copy to a friend.

So, I'm trying to play through Scholar of the First Sin, but I'm going to ask here on the grounds that the people in the threads for this game are hyper-sensitive and likely to throw a fit if I say it there...

Did they seriously just triple the number of Hollows in the Forest of Fallen Giants in lieu of putting any actual thought into... anything? This area was already garbage for having ten times more enemies and twenty times more cheesy "gotcha" ambushes than it needed, who really thought it needed more of either?

I'm honestly not convinced this isn't worse than the original release. The "remix" enemy locations seem to be blindly randomized rather than intended to address serious issues the game had with the way areas flow. I've got a bad feeling I'm going to end up wishing I had a switch to "un-Scholar" this since I gave away my original copy to a friend.

SotS DX11 is pretty bad in PvE. It's pretty much the hyperbolic statements of the original DS2 made reality. PvP is much improved tho.

What did the Zaibatsu think of it? I suppose someone had something to say about it.

I would assume that would come with the update in the first place. Weird.
Honestly, aside from the part where hitting corpses wears it down faster, I have no problem with the rate at which weapons' durability decreases, as it treats them as a resource in as much the same way Estus is and justifies why there are so many bonfires in any given zone.

Plus all my experience playing Shadow Tower Abyss, a game where anything and everything wears down to critical levels in a few hits, I felt helped acclimate me to that aspect of the game.

Regardless, once it's out, I'll be anxious to see Woolsworth's return to Drangleic and see some of the new stuff added. I'll return to the game later on my own time, as I've still not distanced myself enough from Bloodborne to get used to the slower speed again.

Honestly, aside from the part where hitting corpses wears it down faster, I have no problem with the rate at which weapons' durability decreases, as it treats them as a resource in as much the same way Estus is and justifies why there are so many bonfires in any given zone.

Plus all my experience playing Shadow Tower Abyss, a game where anything and everything wears down to critical levels in a few hits, I felt helped acclimate me to that aspect of the game.

Regardless, once it's out, I'll be anxious to see Woolsworth's return to Drangleic and see some of the new stuff added. I'll return to the game later on my own time, as I've still not distanced myself enough from Bloodborne to get used to the slower speed again.

I have extreme problems with it, if only because of the new enemy placements and behavior. I went through five weapons going from the first bonefire in Forest of Fallen Giants to the second.

And no, I couldn't have just run past the enemies. They've putzed things up so now most of them will chase you practically forever, and there are enemies that have been weirdly placed at the top of ladders and other such places to emphatically cock-block anything short of a full-on spreedrun.

It's pretty trash. I could manage it better once my stats got high enough to two-hand the mace, but if you're using normal starting weapons (shortsword, hollow soldier sword, etc., not even brittle shit like the daggers) it's absolutely atrocious. I'm not sure how they expect players new to the series to put up with this for more than three or four minutes before they bin it and go back to Bloodborne.

Replaying DS2 right now it's fine with some weapons, but others actually get wrecked to being useless. Woolie in the LP has to use repair powder like twice in one run with the Greatsword, weapons like that get wrecked. (Especially by the dead bodies part).

Watching the REV2 part 19, Pat has a point though- despite the reception to Revelations 2 being generally positive Capcom hasn't announced any sales number.

Which makes me sad cause this game is the legit step back in the right direction that people wanted.

I seriously do not expect them to go back to DS2.

They need to begin that long awaited DS1 LP and let Woolie discover Lordran.

Plague's got an awesome new video up with hot clerical action.

As far as DS2: I don't think there's enough legitimately new content for them to bother revisiting it. They would have to do a complete replay, and I don't think the changes to the core content are substantial enough (or good enough quality) to warrant that. (For the purposes of making videos, I mean. I imagine they'll replay the game personally, but not for videos.)

The DS1 playthrough strikes me as something they're saving for when there's a gaping hole in the upload schedule, which is the opposite of what the situation has been lately. Between Bloodborne, constant Telltale(-esque) releases, Revelations 2 being surprisingly good, and MKX warranting more than a one-off/FNF, they're actually in a temporary content glut and having to space out uploads of already-rendered videos to stick to a normalized schedule.

Maybe during the doldrums after Bloodborne, MKX, and Revelations 2 all wrap up.

Randy42

I seriously do not expect them to go back to DS2.

They need to begin that long awaited DS1 LP and let Woolie discover Lordran.

There's never going to be more on-vid DS2 stuff unless pat or woolie decide to learn how to stream properly. We might one day see demons or dark 1, who can say, but assuredly not until BB ends (and probably minimum months after that). It's possible they might not even do DS1 since Plague is doing it.

Randy42

Yeah I forgot about the streaming thing but DS/DeS are more suited to live streams imo. I hope they start considering streaming as an option for their LP's soon.

I doubt it sadly, while they could prob set it up fairly easily none of them seem to have interest in it outside of the few liam did and idk when his last one was. It's a shame Max isn't rubbing off on them in that way.

I doubt it sadly, while they could prob set it up fairly easily none of them seem to have interest in it outside of the few liam did and idk when his last one was. It's a shame Max isn't rubbing off on them in that way.

I'm kinda ok with that. It sounds like they're busy enough with producing all the videos and now going to all these conventions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom