• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrams

Damn the podcast was almost 4 hours long this time.

Zaibatsu pls.

Yes, please make them longer. I agree.

Revelaitons 2 Part 20- That bad end is weird, kind of abrupt, and I expected it to be cooler. Also jeez, their inability to distinguish the two different types of fart gas and a boss fight that was kind of not great? I liked all the varying animations, but the fight itself seemed really limp. It was also slow as fuck. Hopefully it changes with the good end, but it probably doesn't.

Revelaitons 2 Part 20- That bad end is weird, kind of abrupt, and I expected it to be cooler. Also jeez, their inability to distinguish the two different types of fart gas and a boss fight that was kind of not great? I liked all the varying animations, but the fight itself seemed really limp. It was also slow as fuck. Hopefully it changes with the good end, but it probably doesn't.

That fight is the same regardless of what ending you're going to get.

But...
There's a post-ending sequence that kicks all kinds of ass.

Man plague is reaaaaally griping against bloodborne at every turn

He wants a burly man medieval combat simulator where people flail at each other for a few seconds in slow-motion in full parade platemail and then pass out from heat exhaustion.

To be fair, it is a thing that basically does not exist, and Dark Souls was kind of leaning vaguely in that direction with its borderline-fetishistic encumbrance system, whereas Bloodborne
while it plays a million times better
basically throws out any hope of taking that direction in a clear preference for action-oriented gameplay.

He wants a burly man medieval combat simulator where people flail at each other for a few seconds in slow-motion in full parade platemail and then pass out from heat exhaustion.

To be fair, it is a thing that basically does not exist, and Dark Souls was kind of leaning vaguely in that direction with its borderline-fetishistic encumbrance system, whereas Bloodborne
while it plays a million times better
basically throws out any hope of taking that direction in a clear preference for action-oriented gameplay.

Well, lucky for Plague, Bloodborne isn't a Souls game.

I disagree with his opinion on the game, but BB did take my play style from the Souls series, and design the entire game around it, so that's why I like it the best.

I like Bloodborne's style better, too, but I understand where Plague is coming from. The closest thing to what he wants is War of the Roses, and even that is almost a cartoonish rendition of medieval combat. He's probably never going to get the game he actually wants because most people find the very concept boring and dumb.

I mean, I've been that guy. I waited like twenty years for an XCOM remake because so many people thought the core concept was boring and dumb and wanted a shootbang instead. I feel you, Eli.

I like Bloodborne's style better, too, but I understand where Plague is coming from. The closest thing to what he wants is War of the Roses, and even that is almost a cartoonish rendition of medieval combat. He's probably never going to get the game he actually wants because most people find the very concept boring and dumb.

I mean, I've been that guy. I waited like twenty years for an XCOM remake because so many people thought the core concept was boring and dumb and wanted a shootbang instead. I feel you, Eli.

Chivalry_Medieval_Warfare_cover_art.jpg

I've always found that time period of warfare to be really dull and played out.

The problems with medieval times as a setting in games is that it's very boring, and very hard to get the general public behind the idea. Adding realistic combat behind, and you have a slow, kinda sloppy looking experience.

Without some fantastical elements implemented, the game is destined to fail.

Chivalry_Medieval_Warfare_cover_art.jpg

I've always found that time period of warfare to be really dull and played out.

Chivalry is about as far from an actual medieval combat simulator as X:COM: The Bureau is from an actual XCOM game.

Edit: I'm not disagreeing, medieval European combat was stupid. Plague's semi-historical rants completely forget things like the Battle of Agincourt, which basically proved that five hundred years of medieval "tactics" were really just a bunch of morons fapping around in the dark because they had no idea how their methodology would work on an actual battlefield. I couldn't think of anything more boring than an actual battle between two fully-armored knights. I'm just saying, I understand where he's coming from on wanting a game that no one is making.

Chivalry is a little goofy though. I'm not sure I'd exactly call it a realistic combat simulator.

Chivalry is about as far from an actual medieval combat simulator as X:COM: The Bureau is from an actual XCOM game.

Then I can't think of any game that comes close to being the Bushido Blade of medieval warfare.

The problems with medieval times as a setting in games is that it's very boring, and very hard to get the general public behind the idea. Adding realistic combat behind, and you have a slow, kinda sloppy looking experience.

The time period itself is just boring as shit. It's not a time that should be remembered fondly like King Arthur was wholly a noble knight instead of a fabrication.

Robin Hood was interesting because he was an anti-hero. Anti-heroes can go in multiple dimensions.

MrHoot

Yeah.

I do medieval fighting, part of a schoo, when we do reproductions with various weapons. The problem is that if we actually wanted to reproduce the actual feeling of medieval fighting, it would probably bore gamers to tears because it would totally go against their expectation. The closest games can get at this point without sacrificing some flare would just to try to reproduce the "weight" (lords of the fallen tried that, although failed in some aspect). There are some fantastic martial arts with medieval weapons too but they do not represent the reality of medieval combat, similar to how kenjutsu would not represent an actual fight during a full blown battle in the sengoku era or something

360pages

Honestly enough even with a bit of Fantasy I find pure dungeon and Dragon settings to be somewhat of a bore. Probably why I couldn't get into game of thrones. I much prefer an urban fantasy.

ArjanN

It's just because Pat was overthinking it, and kept running around waiting for the boss to show it's weakness, while the boss get stunned if it takes enough damage. All the bosses work that way in that shooting them normally works, hitting the weak spot just does extra damage.

and there is more gameplay in the good ending.

Honestly enough even with a bit of Fantasy I find pure dungeon and Dragon settings to be somewhat of a bore. Probably why I couldn't get into game of thrones. I much prefer an urban fantasy.

Game of Thrones is as medieval as the general public will probably take. It's fantastical elements are rather subtle, and the main intrigue aren't the environment or backdrop, but the politics.

360pages

Lord of the rings is pretty popular. But people tend to lean more towards fantasy than straight midevil things. There almost always have to be some sort of magical twist.

aly

Man plague is reaaaaally griping against bloodborne at every turn

I think he has some valid complaints, but at the same time I feel like he wants the game to be what it was clearly not trying to be. I think its okay that a spinoff game does not cater to everyone's preferred style and less options is not actually always a bad thing.

I think he has some valid complaints, but at the same time I feel like he wants the game to be what it was clearly not trying to be. I think its okay that a spinoff game does not cater to everyone's preferred style and less options is not actually always a bad thing.
Like people already said, I think he sees potential in DaS to be more like the game he wants it to be, where the direction BB took it is like the opposite. Still, I think he's speaking on his own behalf is all. He just has his opinion, and he calls any problems he has like: "I have problems...".

That's why SMT exists. Because Cyberpunk demon apocalypse is the hypest thing ever.

Like people already said, I think he sees potential in DaS to be more like the game he wants it to be, where the direction BB took it is like the opposite. Still, I think he's speaking on his own behalf is all. He just has his opinion, and he calls any problems he has like: "I have problems...".

I still contend that BB is borderline a character action/ action RPG hybrid.

The Konami/Kojima thing is just so weird. I mean, it would be one thing if Konami had some crushing masterstroke in mind to replace Kojima and finally have development outside of KojiPro that's in any way relevant, but it seems pretty clear that they don't.

Like, it's the equivalent of trying to execute a coup d'etat by just running into the throne room and shouting, "Hey everyone, get the king!" without actually consulting any co-conspirators beforehand.

The Konami/Kojima thing is just so weird. I mean, it would be one thing if Konami had some crushing masterstroke in mind to replace Kojima and finally have development outside of KojiPro that's in any way relevant, but it seems pretty clear that they don't.

Like, it's the equivalent of trying to execute a coup d'etat by just running into the throne room and shouting, "Hey everyone, get the king!" without actually consulting any co-conspirators beforehand.

http://www.konami.co.jp/zaimu/2015/0205/en_7kgy7a.pdf

It ain't looking too hot for them, which makes this move all the more puzzling.

I was so excited for more MKX after the
Frost reveal
last night, but more Bloodborne works too

EDIT: "We're Pat and Woolie and we ONLY TALK TO NPCS ONCE DESPITE BOTH HAVING EXPERIENCE WITH SOULS GAMES"
You do you, scrublords

I was so excited for more MKX after the
Frost reveal
last night, but more Bloodborne works too

EDIT: "We're Pat and Woolie and we ONLY TALK TO NPCS ONCE DESPITE BOTH HAVING EXPERIENCE WITH SOULS GAMES"
You do you, scrublords

The funny part for me is Woolie's "You gotta be in there. Any more than three steps and you're not getting it!"

Or, you know, Bloodborne allows you to dash toward enemies whenever you want, including when you've got them staggered...

The funny part for me is Woolie's "You gotta be in there. Any more than three steps and you're not getting it!"

Or, you know, Bloodborne allows you to dash toward enemies whenever you want, including when you've got them staggered...

i feel like their gonna punch themselves in the balls when they figure out all the game mechanics

Yeah. I mean, they also thought the Hemwick witches can't be poise-broken. I don't think I've ever seen a hit on them not break their poise before this; it must be damage-based, because Patsworth is hitting like a flea for some reason. (Really low offensive stat allocation?)

sjay1994

I need to re evaluate my life because that entire forest sequence had me super irritated

Pat is playing bloodborne, woolie is still playing DS2

MrHoot

Yeah. I mean, they also thought the Hemwick witches can't be poise-broken. I don't think I've ever seen a hit on them not break their poise before this; it must be damage-based, because Patsworth is hitting like a flea for some reason. (Really low offensive stat allocation?)

They barely leveled their str at all for a while so the damage increase hasn't been huge for them.

But yeah, the whole playthrough is still irritating but it's like vodka at this point. It hurts but I can't quit

I like the playthrough just fine. I mean, I don't pay them
at all
to provide useful information about the game; that's what ENB and Vaati are for. I want to see them play it, wrong as hell and fucking up all over the place, and loving every minute of it.

That's what I'm getting out of this playthrough. I'm still going to laugh at them when they say something that's super wrong, but as long as Pat and Woolie are getting super hype fighting bosses I'm in.

sjay1994

the LP really should of been Demon Souls or Dark Souls 1

They probably will pick up on regaining ground by dashing soon.... hopefully.

This part made it apparent why so many people have a problem with woolies playstyle, its never bothered me until now.

He is scurd of almost everything, and isn't pressing the advantage.

Still if I wanted proper play and lore, I would watch ENB (which I am)

I am watching Best friends for hype and blind reactions. I just need to remember they are playing blind, and yelling at them for stuff they probably figured out now is super dumb on my part.

They're never gonna get that free flamethrower, are they...

Nope

I've never been particularly bothered by playstyle so I've fine with Woolie as he is- it also makes those boss victories all the more satisfying to see.

The thing that would make me pull my hair out is if they missed something that's RIGHT THERE and just runs out assuming something totally wrong. Fortunately it doesn't really happen that much and most of them are understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom