• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I see the MK gif has already been done here, but I just put my own in the Reddit, so here are alternates. And one I really hope will catch on, but was not my idea.

Hqn2r52.gif

Hah, that's pretty great. Man, Raiden deserved to get his ass beat.

Skrams

Imperfected explains pretty well how it's still relevant.

It was absolutely idiotic to go for Bethesda games first, old game or not. These mods aren't just a list of cosmetic stuff, these mods aren't complete separate game modes that could potentially be sold as stand-alone, these mods are content of different sizes, script extenders, engine tweaks and system overhauls and additions that are piled on top of each other by the dozen.

Valve is all "we wanted allow modders to work full-time, we were inspired by games X and Y becoming stand-alone products", but it doesn't apply to Skyrim! Bethesda games are far too easily modded!

You could maybe, I dunno, have Firaxis and 2K negotiate with the Long War mod maker for XCOM and have them develop a new and improved monetized version?
I already said this.

"I don't think paying for Skyrim mods on Steam is at all on the same level of the infrastructure of a console. I see your point though and it's swayed me. If it damaged the ecosystem already in place then that's fucked. If they try to roll it out again and it's not in perfect condition forever then that's still fucked. I'll have to listen to the discussion to see if any other points are brought up that change how I view this problem. I'm also close to zero percent effected by the paying of mods so maybe that's why I barely care."

I would of figured it would of eventually just turned into a good mods float to the top thing, but I guess enough dumb people can make them to where it would overshadow the good shit no matter what. $10 for this new campaign/area or $10 for one of twenty of these better horse models with everything modeled. I might change my mind on the situation of it being still relevant if the best friends bring up any other good points of its lasting impact on mods when I listen to the podcast later today. If this has damaged the community or Valve reworks it and still puts it out poorly then I can easily see where people are coming from. I figure they should of either collaborated, select the best mods to be sold ala TF2 items, or just incorporate a tip jar into the steam system with steam taking very little of the tip.

I see the MK gif has already been done here, but I just put my own in the Reddit, so here are alternates. And one I really hope will catch on, but was not my idea.

Probably needs a little neogaf symbol on raiden's head.

MrHoot

Beat the witches of hemwick.
Litterally a room away from the carryll rune tools.
"LET'S GO CASH IT IN"

I know it's a nitpick but HRRNNGNRNGNR

Fun times though

I really thought they were going to troll with Itagaki news by having it on the list last week, then having it be the first on the list this week and they don't talk about it until almost the end.

Oh man, they got grabbed
by the Amygdala and fucking murdered.
Man, as they entered that particular area I hoped it would happen, and it did.

They're really making tons of progress these last few parts, and this one in particular is actually longer than usual.

Okingjrr

Beat the witches of hemwick.
Litterally a room away from the carryll rune tools.
"LET'S GO CASH IT IN"

I know it's a nitpick but HRRNNGNRNGNR

Fun times though

I would've done the same though. You can't know what lies behind a lantern and you definitely get paranoid when you have that many blood echoes.
Yes yes, I know, the position of the lantern obliderates the high risk of going past it but ehhh, whachu gon do?

My major gripe this episode was Woolie aiming the camera in bizarre angles, stopping him from seeing directly in front of him. That and being blind when the witch appears.

My major gripe this episode was Woolie aiming the camera in bizarre angles, stopping him from seeing directly in front of him. That and being blind when the witch appears.

Woolie in recent parts has been playing way too passively, like it's DS2 again. Even Pat seemed to be getting a bit irritated by it during the Hemwick bits.

Still hype for every episode though.

Oh my god, it wasn't the frenzy that killed them, but the drop.

Woolie was right, great end to that part.

I imagine in between this and tomorrow's part they end up looking up where they need to go to get to the Forbidden Woods. I know it took me a damn while to figure it out, unless they stumble upon it out of sheer fluke.

I imagine in between this and tomorrow's part they end up looking up where they need to go to get to the Forbidden Woods. I know it took me a damn while to figure it out, unless they stumble upon it out of sheer fluke.

Funny thing about that is I knew exactly where I needed to go but for the life of me I couldn't remember how to get there for a good hour.

MrHoot

I would've done the same though. You can't know what lies behind a lantern and you definitely get paranoid when you have that many blood echoes.
Yes yes, I know, the position of the lantern obliderates the high risk of going past it but ehhh, whachu gon do?

Yeahi t's why it's a super silly nitpick and on any normal play it would be pretty normal :p

Since Souls2 i just became a super aggressive "no fucks given" and give less thought about my souls/echoes (since I know I will always get it back eventually anyway)

EDIT: Although completely stoked that they saw their first amygdala, and had enough insight to "see" it just enough. Shame though that they didn't have the tonsil stone on them !

So maybe someone that follows more of their playthroughs/media will have a better idea, but does Matt actually have something wrong with him causing his constant verbal mix ups? It's been a thing for a while but I've noticed in the past couple of podcasts he's getting defensive about it. Can he actually not help it or is he just being defensive?

The only thing I'm aware of, of note, is that he mentioned as a kid he wouldn't call things by their real names in favor of making up nonsense words. Though honestly I think all kids do that.

Archgan

So maybe someone that follows more of their playthroughs/media will have a better idea, but does Matt actually have something wrong with him causing his constant verbal mix ups? It's been a thing for a while but I've noticed in the past couple of podcasts he's getting defensive about it. Can he actually not help it or is he just being defensive?

The only thing I'm aware of, of note, is that he mentioned as a kid he wouldn't call things by their real names in favor of making up nonsense words. Though honestly I think all kids do that.

I don't think he has an actual problem and I don't think he is being serious when he has been defensive recently. I think he was acting defensive as a joke.

Best Friends Play Bloodborne (Part 23)
Website
Youtube

The continued adventures of Fuckface and Chewie!

No real complains, was hoping Woolie would get a boss kill from the witch but oh well. I'm glad Pat noticed the eyes.

Would be real interesting to see how they figure out where to go from here... Wonder if they could save anyone else in the mean time *cough*

Wow did that email about Matt's backlog sound eerily similar to this post I made a while back:

"Hey Matt, what'd you do this week?"
"I consumed a shitload of media."

I find it hard to believe he doesn't have free time. Though I would understand if he would rather spend time with his fiancee/wife than play 90-hour single-player games. I've played some of the shorter games he's listed and, though they're fun distractions (Wolfenstein, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon), I don't have any fond memories of them.

Regarding padded games, 3D Zelda's were the first thing that crossed my mind. Wouldn't mind a 10-hour highly replayable 3D Zelda with strong combat mechanics and little to no cutscenes.

Yeah, they buried the lead super hard on it. I did a whirlwind tour of all the optional areas you can get to at that point in the game, thinking each one was the way forward, before I found it.

Edit: Also, my new favorite Woolie moment, "What was that old movie with all of them [the three witches] in it?" You mean Macbeth, the scene that literally every concept of a trio of witches around a cauldron is aping?

Xux

Yeah, they buried the lead super hard on it. I did a whirlwind tour of all the optional areas you can get to at that point in the game, thinking each one was the way forward, before I found it.

Edit: Also, my new favorite Woolie moment, "What was that old movie with all of them [the three witches] in it?" You mean Macbeth, the scene that literally every concept of a trio of witches around a cauldron is aping?
Nah, I doubt that's what he meant. He was probably talking about Hocus Pocus.

Nah, I doubt that's what he meant. He was probably talking about Hocus Pocus.

The reason there are three witches in Hocus Pocus is because of Macbeth. Despite what Pat says in the video, there's no special Satanic or druidic/pagan meaning to it, beyond a very loose reference to the Three Fates. The idea that a trio of witches somehow constitutes a coven is just straight up people having seen the play, and the only reason it's three witches in the play is because that's what Shakespeare needed to deliver the lines he wrote.

You can't tell me that these chucklefucks know Macbeth.

Pat was one of those soft-science guys in college, he probably knows about it. He just didn't want to bring it up for fear of getting into an argument with Woolie over how it's pronounced "Macbwath".

The funny thing about the three witches thing is that the Witch of Hemwick fight only has two so the application doesn't work. The reason the "third" one had less health was because it was revived.

Oh well, didn't stop them from getting it down after a few tries. I really like that fight just because it is a neat gimmick and reminds me of the variety that the bosses in Demon's Souls had.

It'll be interesting weeks from now once they get to
Micolash.

The Witch was kind of weird/lame for me the first time because I basically spec the opposite of Pat (ie, get enough Vitality to not be one-shot and dump everything else into damage stats), so I could just dash up and combo the summoned witches without them ever being able to escape stunlock.

I feel like Micolass Cage is probably the easiest boss in the game if you build that way, for the same reason. He's basically just a cowardly schmuck if you've got the damage to stagger him on every hit. Like, oooh, Augur of Ebrietas, so scary; there are NPC hunters who can do that and are harder to beat.

Anung

Un Rama
The funny thing about the three witches thing is that the Witch of Hemwick fight only has two so the application doesn't work. The reason the "third" one had less health was because it was revived.

Oh well, didn't stop them from getting it down after a few tries. I really like that fight just because it is a neat gimmick and reminds me of the variety that the bosses in Demon's Souls had.

It'll be interesting weeks from now once they get to
Micolash.

I bet Woolie will think
its Kos D:

Big Butt Liam is now canon
Big Butt Liam scared of his own butt.

The perfect trap. Can't get into those vents anymore.

Christ, I am still reeling from that Revelations 2 good ending. It's so god damn hype.
It's been so cool to see those two enjoy that game as much as I've been surprised by its quality. Hell of a surprise.

Numb

Can't wait for the 2015 GOTY awards video they will do in 2018.
So many games this year. MGS, Bloodborne, Witcher, Batman and Xenoblade too.
Got the feeling Pat will pick his crack as his number 1 tho.
It is to be expected.

MrHoot

Can't wait for the 2015 GOTY awards video they will do in 2018.
So many games this year. MGS, Bloodborne, Witcher, Batman and Xenoblade too.
Got the feeling Pat will pick his crack as his number 1 tho.
It is to be expected.

If persona 5 happens to come out this year by miracle, it might be a tough choice !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom