• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love these kind of posts.

Have fun discovering the wealths of content there is. Silent Hill Downpour is a really great primer since it's one of their first major LPs if you want to try it out. There's also hundreds of hours of the podcast to go through if you want that.

yourehereforever.jpg

Glad you're enjoying it! Front page has all the recommended reading. Ignore the current "ongoing" as Fault hasn't updated it in a bit.

Aw yeaahhh, Sanic. It's all downhill from here.

Youtube version.

Yo, welcome to the thread. Yeah the podcasts are great stuff. They do jump in really deep so you might need to learn some lore to get some of the jokes. What have you watched so far?

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been watching some of the Friday Night Fisticuffs(Gang beasts and Lethal League look so amazing) and the Life is Strange LP. I heard the "Dio with a DeLorean" joke on the podcast and had to check it out.

I'll definitely check out the Silent Hill LP, and I'll check out the recommend-eds on the front page as well!

Wow. Woolie is the biggest weeb of all time. I am surprised he did that in his highschool yearbook.
I think back to my high school yearbooks and not only did we not get our own quotes when graduating, but I also deliberately avoided picking up my yearbook every year when they were being handed out, which ended up wasting part of the money my parents were paying for me to attend the school.

Somehow I'm not surprised at Pat's general behavior towards his high school. Like a more intense version of myself at that time.

Numb

I think back to my high school yearbooks and not only did we not get our own quotes when graduating, but I also deliberately avoided picking up my yearbook every year when they were being handed out, which ended up wasting part of the money my parents were paying for me to attend the school.

Somehow I'm not surprised at Pat's general behavior towards his high school. Like a more intense version of myself at that time.

There is no hope left for Woolie.
No hope at all.

Pat hates the things other people are just annoyed by but he also hates those things extremely.

Zenfalcia

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been watching some of the Friday Night Fisticuffs(Gang beasts and Lethal League look so amazing) and the Life is Strange LP. I heard the "Dio with a DeLorean" joke on the podcast and had to check it out.

I'll definitely check out the Silent Hill LP, and I'll check out the recommend-eds on the front page as well!
Hey, that's good, there are also the one-offs they did for machinima which are also great. You might want to check some of those out.

It's not a lot of money for the yearbooks to be honest. Unless it was for yours.

Pat is all about the intensity, you should know this by now.

Draxyle

Neo Member
I really can't tell the difference between a good sonic game and a bad sonic game from looking at these playthroughs...

As someone who stopped after Sonic 3, I kinda feel the same.

Sonic Adventure seems to be where the bad Sonic "lore" began to take off though. Maybe I'm crazy, but it still baffles me that there are Sonic games that take place in human cities.

I really can't tell the difference between a good sonic game and a bad sonic game from looking at these playthroughs...

Sonic does not translate very well to 3D.

I haven't played a Sanic 3D game that wasn't jank. Also, the weird furry - human overlap...

So far, I'm seeing mini game set pieces juxtaposed against the Chaos emeralds. To be fair, I didn't own a Dreamcast.

Generations and Colors weren't that janky.

Like I know those two games are held up a lot but they're solid 3D sonic games.

It's normally Sanic Adventures 1 and 2 that people claim are really good.

But watching ProJared review SA2 and the Best Friends play SA1, mannnnnnnnn. A lot of rough edges.

They were good.

In the context of the time, and these really being the first 3D Sonic games (3D Blast doesn't count, fuck off with that), they delivered a sense of speed and action that you expected from a Sonic game.

They were jank as fuck, but they worked and were fun. It's like a show being just campy enough that it's still enjoyable without becoming annoying.

Of course in the context of later gaming they look nigh-unplayable. Liam's demonstrating a fascinating amount of weird behaviors the game has.

Geg

lol well it turns out the volume problems I was having with the podcast the last few weeks was because my headphones were dying

11013186_10155558033910173_7828396003920380812_n.jpg

dying

Caderfix

I rarely watch the play throughs, usually I just listen to the videos while working, and the first episode of the SA playthrough is PERFECT for that.

Really fun, I hope it keeps up :)

360pages

Good at best.

I don't know, I just find a lot of Mario games to be kind of Slow, when I played Mario 3 it felt so...ugh. World just felt better, probably just played it too late. But I legit wonder what was so great about it outside of being the first of its kind.

croten

I don't know, I just find a lot of Mario games to be kind of Slow, when I played Mario 3 it felt so...ugh. World just felt better, probably just played it too late. But I legit wonder what was so great about it outside of being the first of its kind.

I played 3 for the first time some months ago and think it's far beyond any sonic game.

360pages

I played 3 for the first time some months ago and think it's far beyond any sonic game.

I tried to play 3 twice, I think the levels are too simplistic and power ups kind of eh...Everything it did World did better, and while I played both late. I can see World as a fantastic game While I think 3 just kind of falls flat.

croten

I tried to play 3 twice, I think the levels are too simplistic and power ups kind of eh...Everything it did World did better, and while I played both late. I can see World as a fantastic game While I think 3 just kind of falls flat.

3 was legitimately a challenge, world was far to easy for me to enjoy. It just felt mind numbing.

360pages

3 was legitimately a challenge, world was far to easy for me to enjoy. It just felt mind numbing.

Hmm, that might be it. But I felt at times 3 controls were too slippery, other than being the first to do so.

Actually, Mario 64, looking back on it as well. It aged better, but compared to later platformers it can get kind of slow in later areas.

Geg

I'm so confused about their conversation about a potential Sonic Adventure 3.

Like, Sonic 2006 was basically Sonic Adventure 3.

Hmm, that might be it. But I felt at times 3 controls were too slippery, other than being the first to do so.

Actually, Mario 64, looking back on it as well. It aged better, but compared to later platformers it can get kind of slow in later areas.

More slippery than SMB2?

I'd also like to remind you that any comparison to SMB3 and to Sonic is fundamentally unfair
to Sonic

3 came out in 1988. In 1988, SMB3 is mind blowing for a NES game.

360pages

More slippery than SMB2?

I'd also like to remind you that any comparison to SMB3 and to Sonic is fundamentally unfair
to Sonic

3 came out in 1988. In 1988, SMB3 is mind blowing for a NES game.

Well, that's the thing. I don't find SMB3 a good game by itself. Sure it's super amazing for an NES game. But as a game I can go back to, eh.

To be fair, I have the same problem with Sonic 1.

While World stands on its own for the most part, so many games took the power ups and ideas from 3 and did it better.

MrHoot

I would say Sonic adventure 1 was good. Not great, but good. But more importantly, it was one of the few times when Sonic Team had the basics for a good Sonic gameplay, and the only time Sonic Team had the basics for tails and knuckles gameplay pinned down as well.

It was extremely janky though. Bugs all over shop, wonky camera, and half of the game being forgettable overall. But damn were they close to pinning down something good.

Ideally, for adventure 2 they could've trimmed down the fat by a lot (remove amy, e102 and big's sections, maybe only as minigames, and expand tails and knuckles levels instead). Improve the camera and controls, fix the jankyness overall, have more diversity and seamlessness in level design and it would be great. Also keep the chao gardens, because muh chaos were the best

Problem is that they decided to go with even more setpieces in adventure 2, streamlined the shit out of the levels as a result, worsened knuckles gameplay with the new radar mechanic and questionnable levels and had the tails/eggman levels.

And well, the followups after that speak for themselves.

Only generation managed to catch up for me as it actually had good level design and great replayability for that alone, but we'll probably never have old SA1 tails and knuckles gameplay to go with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom