• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrams

Sonic Rush, Rush Adventure and Colors ds (AKA Rush 3) are all really fun games. Advance 1 is also really good.

I also don't think that is a problem with Sonic games, as in they are speedy and kind of messy. Most Platformers, usually have a straight path with power ups making said path easier. (AKA Mario, Meat Boy) every thing in the level is planed to work out in a certain way.

Sonic you have more freedom, just because the levels are huge. Take a look at a mario level map and a Sonic level map, one is a straight line while the other one is all over the place. I don't think either is better than the other. More the fact that one is about planning each jump and what not.

I guess that just comes down to what people prefer then. I think most people prefer the usually one good route of a Mario game compared to what I think feels like multiple sloppy routes in a Sonic game. A lot of the time it's me wondering if I'm even really progressing in a Sonic game. It's nice to have all those routes, but I just don't enjoy the base control enough or like the idea of having to replay the levels multiple times to get even a semi satisfying feeling with finishing a level well. I haven't looked at Sonic Generations hard enough to know why I was good with that the most out of all the Sonic games I've tried. It probably just has to do with it feeling better or most of the routes feeling better to me at least. I didn't have the problem that much where I feel like I took a shit path without really knowing beforehand in Generations from what I remember.

Right, because third person shooters and platformers are the same deal.

Woolie said he thinks the combat would be amazing, but eh'd. I'm solely talking about the speed of Vanquish. Even Matt and Liam giggled at him saying they couldn't do it.

Xux

Sega Games should just take Generations' assets and make four or five more Acts per "tile set." Ten or so levels that are "Ground Zeroes"ed before Ground Zeroes came out is pretty meh.

360pages

Honestly, I still think Rayman Legends is the best 2D platformer from the previous Generation. Better than any Mario or Sonic game that came out at the time. Mostly because I think it combined both aspects of those games and does them far better with more content.

The Set Pieces of Sonic, with the perfectly Layed out path of Mario.

Skrams

A Sonic Level played well looks rather amazing.
Visually it looks great. I know from playing the game myself that there isn't much going on there so it's underwhelming to me. The feeling from playing it yourself is exhilarating, but I'm not too keen on watching a level being played.
Sega Games should just take Generations' assets and make four or five more Acts per "tile set." Ten or so levels that are "Ground Zeroes"ed before Ground Zeroes came out is pretty meh.
Would probably be better than bothering to throw money at things like Sonic Boom.
Honestly, I still think Rayman Legends is the best 2D platformer from the previous Generation. Better than any Mario or Sonic game that came out at the time. Mostly because I think it combined both aspects of those games and does them far better with more content.

The Set Pieces of Sonic, with the perfectly Layed out path of Mario.
Rayman Legends feels a little hollow to me for some reason. I enjoyed the game a lot with its set pieces and variety, but it just doesn't give me the same feeling as a Mario game. I hella enjoyed the music levels and amount of content at least. I just might have a hitch in me that makes the game feel forced in charm and something about ubisoft that I can't get over. It's been a bit since I played the game so maybe I'm just forgetting the good feelings. That last remixed music level though. I would of probably got all the achievements in the game if it wasn't for the dumb daily challenges required.

360pages

Visually it looks great. I know from playing the game myself that there isn't much going on there so it's underwhelming to me. The feeling from playing it yourself is exhilarating, but I'm not too keen on watching a level being played.

Would probably be better than bothering to throw money at things like Sonic Boom.

Rayman Legends feels a little hollow to me for some reason. I enjoyed the game a lot with its set pieces and variety, but it just doesn't give me the same feeling as a Mario game. I hella enjoyed the music levels and amount of content at least. I just might have a hitch in me that makes the game feel forced in charm and something about ubisoft that I can't get over. It's been a bit since I played the game so maybe I'm just forgetting the good feelings. That last remixed music level though. I would of probably got all the achievements in the game if it wasn't for the dumb daily challenges required.

2D Mario Recently has been, eh. Which is strange since I love 3D land and World. But even New Super Mario Bros U was kind of eh to me after play 3 games in the series.

Skrams

2D Mario Recently has been, eh. Which is strange since I love 3D land and World. But even New Super Mario Bros U was kind of eh to me after play 3 games in the series.

I wasn't even thinking about the NSMB series. On those merits then yeah, Legends feels more alive and has more variety to me than those games. I was strictly thinking of 3D World. I glossed over the best 2D platformer part and didn't really think about it with 3D World I guess since it walks the line well. I'm not sure if Legends is the best for strictly 2D for the last generation then, but I can easily see someone making a case for it. I'd probably lean towards Meat Boy, but that platformer feel just appealed to me more. I was probably dumb for thinking of 3D World even since that's not last generation technically.

360pages

I wasn't even thinking about the NSMB series. On those merits then yeah, Legends feels more alive and has more variety to me than those games. I was strictly thinking of 3D World. I glossed over the best 2D platformer part and didn't really think about it with 3D World I guess since it walks the line well. I'm not sure if Legends is the best for strictly 2D for the last generation then, but I can easily see someone making a case for it. I'd probably lean towards Meat Boy, but that platformer feel just appealed to me more. I was probably dumb for thinking of 3D World even since that's not last generation technically.

Don't worry about it, I tend to enjoy 3D Marios more than 2D ones. I might get blasted, but I honestly think that 3D world is easily the best 3D mario game. Because it plays like the 2D ones...it's weird.

I might get blasted, but I honestly think that 3D world is easily the best 3D mario game. Because it plays like the 2D ones...it's weird.
I agree with you on this. Gimme linear levels all day, erry day.

Though, I actually don't enjoy playing 64 or Sunshine. Galaxy has enough gimmicks to differentiate its objectives I enjoyed it though.

Skrams

Don't worry about it, I tend to enjoy 3D Marios more than 2D ones. I might get blasted, but I honestly think that 3D world is easily the best 3D mario game. Because it plays like the 2D ones...it's weird.

Eh, that group probably exists and is semi plentiful probably. I enjoy the open levels of 64 and Sunshine a lot. I can understand why people don't like that since it kind of makes the platforming challenge skewed a bit. I also enjoy the linear structure of Galaxy. 3D World might be my favorite as well, but it's been a while since I played Galaxy 2. I can't remember much of Galaxy 2 since I was really mad while playing it for some reason I can't remember and I wasn't liking it as much as Galaxy 1 since it wasn't as new or something. I'll have to give it an earnest chance again to really know.

Ilvocare

Catching up on Best Friends stuff. DL'd the podcast earlier today, excited to hear that they actually saw that Playism is bringing Touhou officially to the West. I expect Matt to be pissy that it's not about Godzilla again, though.

Finished up RER2. Man Matt and Pat tapped out so fucking hard on those bonus levels. Like sure they're not the best but man. Any effort just left.

I don't understand why they keep bothering with the bonus content if RE seems to have a not-so-great history with its bonus content.

Also all this talk about Sonic games. You'll cowards didn't even play Sonic Battle, which is the only great Sonic game, fuck these silly spin-offs called "platformers".

Plague Facts: Plague's been doing it with rats for so long that when he thinks of humanity, he thinks of skeleton babies. Also there's a new Let's Plague Dark Souls out.

tumblr_nnwnrpriDc1uu4c5lo1_500.jpg

pls

Anung

Un Rama
Whoa, Doc Evil got banned? Dayumn.

I'll be catching up with BB and sonic today. I really need to catch up on the podcasts. Norway really threw my listening out of whack.

Caderfix

Liam, the rising super star, is still in it's acenssion, climbing the through the Super Best Friends ranks. He'll soon be S tier.

He's handling the LP's super well and his plays style is very entertaining

They still have ECW and a bunch of Japanese games.

The management games, MDickie's, 5 Star, Immortals, Rockpocalypse, that one that's been in development for 11 years...

EDIT: Betrayal! The DS SmackDown vs Raw!

EDIT EDIT: I was thinking of 2008, but apparently there were 3 on DS!

FireCloud

Why do I have to wait until 3pm everyday for the next Bloodborne Let's Play? Why!?!

I know they've already recorded several episodes into the future...but they are doling them out like a dealer to their junkies.

I find myself playing mind games like "Do I watch it now and get the quick fix or wait until tomorrow when I can watch two of them back-to-back?"

Funny, I've checked out some other Let's Plays of Bloodborne on YT but it just isn't the same. It's Pat and Woolie's responses to the game that keeps me interested.

Liam, the rising super star, is still in it's acenssion, climbing the through the Super Best Friends ranks. He'll soon be S tier.

Liam has been the Best Friend for a long time.

He should be in more LPs.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Time for the new members of the zaibatsu to arrive!
Chewie and Fuckface in the morning!

Caderfix

Liam has been the Best Friend for a long time.

He should be in more LPs.

I agree with that.

We should have more Woolz, Liam and Matt playthroughs.

Matt - Talking about a lot of random things that, somehow, are interesting and making infite references to whatever

Woolie - Being passionate about pretty much everything, bringing the hype

Liam - Beasting the game and making fun of the other two

Time for the new members of the zaibatsu to arrive!
Chewie and Fuckface in the morning!

I wouldn't mind a playthrough with James Small where he's forced to play a PS2, just to see if the hate is as real as the best friends say it is lol

Wait, how can he be the best friend? He hates america!

Only the filthy americans though
XD

That is, honestly, my favorite podcast so far.

MrHoot

Go back to the youtube comments section please

Sorry i rustled your pikachus (honestly i will stop complaining in the future)

Pretty cool that they saw the first aayliums today. I wonder if they'll ever make the connection when they eventually get to iosefka and notice the one that still has a human arm on the table

Caderfix

I'm late to the podcast party, just listened to it and Liam thinks the same way I do about open world games like GTAV, and he also sees Sleeping Dogs as the exception, due to the combat.

Liam is the best friend, confirmed.

Skrams

Why do I have to wait until 3pm everyday for the next Bloodborne Let's Play? Why!?!

I know they've already recorded several episodes into the future...but they are doling them out like a dealer to their junkies.

This is what they hope for. They give you a little taste. Just rub it on the inside of your gums. Next up you're snorting a line of Liam's sparkles. Then you're putting a whole syringe of pie and lies inside you while Woolie ties you off. Sooner or later you might have to suck off a Pat in a back alley while Matt watches just for the shit you crave.

There's no stopping this chain reaction now.

Bloodborne Part 28- I expect them to reach the boss next episode. Either reaching it or cutting right before it. The mental map of this area is pretty shitty in my brain, but I think they've done over 50% of it easily in this part. At least I only had to hear Woolie say exterior collisions once I think while backtracking for a minute. He's realized the enemies are mostly chumps in this part so he's being a bit more balls to wall which is good. Can't wait until they rediscover the blue guys later on. That'll be a fun thing trying to piece together what they are and how they come to exist.

Good episode compared to the last bunch I think.

KdylanR92

Is the Bloodborne LP worth watching? like is the commentary good?

I've already beat the game and don't think these kinds of games make good LP's but if the commentary's good it could atleast make good background noise

360pages

Watch it in spurts. Honestly, both Bloodborne and Soul games are on the line of games that are better played than watched at times. I know I skipped large portions and took breaks for Dark Souls 2

Skrams

Is the Bloodborne LP worth watching? like is the commentary good?

I've already beat the game and don't think these kinds of games make good LP's but if the commentary's good it could atleast make good background noise

It's mostly focused on the game as they require you to pay attention obviously. Rarely is there many tangents about unrelated things. If you're fine with hearing some background noise of Woolie and Pat discussing the game then yeah, go for it. I'd have the problem where I'd constantly want to alt tab back to see what exactly they're referring to half the time, but that's just me personally. I don't think its commentary is any worse or better than their Dark Souls 2 LP or some of their other LPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom