• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrams

I guess. I felt like it's been pervasive and meanspirited enough to put me off wanting to even come around the thread. It almost feels worse than DS2, but maybe that's because we've been here before.

Same here. Matt you don't need alcohol to be funny! Just be excited about dumb shit!

I do think some peoples comments came off as more mean, but I'd like to think it's hyperbole since it's the internet. I'm probably just trying to be optimistic though. I still just can't fathom any of the anger some people do at Woolie's slow style, so I'd like to think other peoples anger is just hyperbole as well.

Also honestly, I do actually hope Matt cuts back on the drinking during LPs. I'd rather he just be himself and not need to drown out the pain of Sanic with the bottle. I think Pat even felt weird about the amount he had been drinking lately sometime ago. I can't really blame the guy between his wedding, his father having some trouble, and Sonic. Still though, hopefully he learns to cut back.

Archgan

He was fine during Bay Boys:Miami Takedown and that was all kinds of crappy.
I'm disappointed. I search "Bay Boys" and all I got was this rap album.
Bay%20Boys%20-%20Welcome%20To%20Bayroot.jpg
I was hoping for some Bad Boys parody where they are part of the coast guard instead.

Hey does anyone have the framerate avengers comic Matt mentioned on the podcast? The one with icons of gaming consoles over the Avenger's faces as they try to lift the 1080p 60fps hammer.

Though to be fair I think the only 1080p/60fps game on the Wii U is Smash. Most are 780p/60fps

Liam actually had it right: it's about asset targets. Making a 1080p/60fps game is completely trivial if you have relatively simple assets, limited IQ, and just not much happening on the screen at any time.

Like, World of Warcraft will run at 1080p/60fps on a toaster oven, but that doesn't mean your toaster is a better piece of gaming hardware than a rig that can't quite maintain 60fps with Witcher 3 on max settings.

wamberz1

So I was listening to the podcast, and holy shit I was in that EXACT CLASS (atul's) from the first question. If this guy is in hamilton and looking for someone to play with I'm gonna try and find him, since I'm in a similar predicament.

ps: Atul's a great guy, easily one of my favorite teachers.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Matt is getting really insufferable in the Sonic Adventure playthrough. I don't even care about Sonic but it's getting hard to listen to him dump on everything about the game including things that are directly depicted in the game that he simply isn't paying attention to.

Honestly, I find it kind of hilarious. He's so offput by the game that there was a point where he basically just interjected, "Butt. Buttsex."

It's so aggressively and obstinately immature, and deliberately so, that it's amazing.

Squishy3

Honestly, I find it kind of hilarious. He's so offput by the game that there was a point where he basically just interjected, "Butt. Buttsex."

It's so aggressively and obstinately immature, and deliberately so, that it's amazing.
It's going to be great to see his legit hype reaction to Perfect Chaos though.

Anung

Un Rama
I do think some peoples comments came off as more mean, but I'd like to think it's hyperbole since it's the internet. I'm probably just trying to be optimistic though. I still just can't fathom any of the anger some people do at Woolie's slow style, so I'd like to think other peoples anger is just hyperbole as well.

I'd like to think that my criticisms come off as more constructive and not from a hateful place. I also think that criticism has its place. This place would be a massive circle jerk if all we did was praise everything they did. At the end of the day this is entertainment and if they aren't being entertaining them criticism should be okay. My distaste for Woolies style of play is definitely not hyperbole hahaha.

In other news Liam has convinced me to buy some Castlevania's on the Wii U. Never played any as I've always been Metroid kinda guy. His excitement and passion has been infectious.

Anung

Un Rama
Welcome back Doktor Evil :D I'll have a look and see whats available on the Wii U e-shop and whats the most highly rated. I probably shouldn't because my backlog is huge but I can't help myself.

Welcome back Doktor Evil :D I'll have a look and see whats available on the Wii U e-shop and whats the most highly rated. I probably shouldn't because my backlog is huge but I can't help myself.

Dracula X, Super Castlevania 4, Castlevania 1-3. Enjoy.

Plus, the Metroidvanias on GBA and Nintendo DS.

Somebody has to support the remains of Konami's corpse.

Geg

Good to know they're on track for the true final boss. One of the items they need can still be fucked up and permanently missed though, right?

Good to know they're on track for the true final boss. One of the items they need can still be fucked up and permanently missed though, right?

The only way they could really miss it, aside from forgetting to go back for it entirely, is accidentally killing the character in question. They've already passed the point where it's possible to lose it due to other NPC interactions.
You have to take the prostitute's blood a given number of times before the nun will kill her, and she no longer gives you blood once she becomes pregnant. She's already pregnant, and they haven't taken enough blood to get her killed, so there's no real chance of it happening.

Also, the new ginger lore: gingers are immune to sedatives. This explains their frenzy problems.

Rugrats, Silent Hill, and MGS where the classic PS1 combo :wub:

I played the shit out of that game. Granted, I was 7 but still.

I never knew this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_(PlayStation_range)

When Sony introduced the program for PlayStation in 1997, games could become Greatest Hits titles after selling at least 150,000 copies and being on the market for at least a year.[2] Minimum sales required eventually rose to 250,000.[3] When the program came to PlayStation 2 in 2002, games could become Greatest Hits titles after selling at least 400,000 copies and being on the market for at least 9 months.[4]

Suggested retail prices of Greatest Hits titles were initially $24.99, but they now typically retail for $19.99. Though Sony-developed games are virtually guaranteed to eventually become Greatest Hits titles by meeting their sales and age requirements, 3rd party developers are not required to release their titles with a Greatest Hits label even if said titles meet the criteria. Additionally, Sony allows 3rd party developers some flexibility in the pricing of their own Greatest Hits titles, but most of them stick to the agreed-upon suggested retail price.

Games that are multi-million sellers may become Greatest Hits titles much later than 9 months to maximize profits. It is also a common practice for a game to re-release on the Greatest Hits label at a close proximity to the release of that game's sequel or follow-up.

That is some clever ass marketing from Sony.

Wow, they're doing Nightmare Frontier first?

...Pretty ballsy =p

It's probably for the best they postponed the Unseen Village after the tension they built up at Byrgenwerth, though. I mean, Nightmare Frontier isn't without its frustrations (hai Winter Lanterns), but it honestly it probably would have been terrible if they continued to follow the critical path without being refocused and ready for some steaming horseshit.

Skrams

I'd like to think that my criticisms come off as more constructive and not from a hateful place. I also think that criticism has its place. This place would be a massive circle jerk if all we did was praise everything they did. At the end of the day this is entertainment and if they aren't being entertaining them criticism should be okay. My distaste for Woolies style of play is definitely not hyperbole hahaha.
It's the nature of text. Yours has always come off as more angry to me due to the constant mentions of slow woolie or cowardliness.

I also have nothing against criticism. I don't really consider much of what I say criticism since it's just pointing out shit and that's really it. I'll point out how they misinterpret something or whatever else, but I don't really think of it as true criticism when it's just me lazily pointing at a thing they fucked up. I've said it before, but I also walk through these games slowly to observe the area. I rarely have a problem with Woolie's slowness due to that. I think his main problems come with aggression in combat more than slow walking through areas.

Edit- Thinking about it more and I guess I don't see it as very good criticism maybe? It's criticism all the same, but I don't really care to point out it's criticism. I'd feel like it would need more thought put into it to be good criticism or it would need to have something on how they could actually improve besides go faster. Well thought out constructive criticism and all that. If I were to jab at Woolie's slow playstyle I think the primary offenders are his lack of aggression in combat and his spin2win strategy. If he went more balls to the wall with attacking he could stagger more, recover more health, and waste less vials. A lot of the time he hits once and let's off as if we're doing Dark Souls 2 pokes. I'd like to see rely less on an enemy walking into range and him charging that R2 as well. People have said these points before, but I guess I felt like restating them for a poor example of trying to be constructive or something.
They don't have much chance to fuck it up at this point.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044988

I really hope this makes it on the next podcast. Pat is gonna be really surprised at the numbers where there's very little Xenogears or Front Mission 3.

WTF at Rugrats: Search for Reptar?!
Xenogears and FM3 not being up there is entirely unsurprising to me. I'm more surprised FFT and Legend of Dragoon came anywhere close to it.
Wow, they're doing Nightmare Frontier first?

...Pretty ballsy =p
Nightmare Frontier is kind of supposed to be done at this point. I didn't find the Tonsil Stone on my playthrough, so I just encountered the area way later. I was wondering why it was so easy, but due to some assumptions and talking with people I found out it could be done earlier. They should have little problems doing the area now. Cept rocks.

kewlmyc

Pat mentioned Viola's quest in the latest Snailborne, even though they missed it originally. I haven't been keeping up with each episode, but did they ever go back and talk to her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom