• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xux

Yeah, Liam's pretty good.
I heard he was a game tester.

Ayami Kojima artwork's so fuckin' cool. Sucks she's too busy to work on Bloodstained.

I was kinda hopin' for LoI but this is cool.

Skrams

Liam with that Castlevania knowledge and skill.

Watching this and Sonic makes me appreciate Liam when he's on the controls as he is generally the better gamer out of the whole group.

Yep. That's why Liam is the bestest best friend.

He seems to know this game backwards and forwards so this looks to be a great playthrough with all the speedrun and glitch shenanigans.

I think the idea that Dracula had an entire room in his castle walled off to hide a slice of watermelon might actually be even goofier than wall-chicken.

Anung

Un Rama
BB episode 32 - Finally caught up and it was fine for the most part except for a few moments when they seemingly lose the ability to think properly. What the fuck was Pat thinking not finishing off that hunter? Just as he gets control back he basically gave it to Woolie. Why would they abandon so many Blood echoes? It did make me laugh when Woolie called Pat a coward. Pot calling the kettle etc

New Podcast maintains the high quality. They've been sooooo good recently. Laugh out loud and entertaining as fuck.

From a channel programming perspective, Bloodborne is very valuable because it's a long-form LP that's at least interesting enough to keep people watching and talking about it. (Most RPGs do not have this quality; even as a Nuzlocke, Pokemon couldn't maintain.) That allows them to schedule the rest of their programming more intelligently instead of just having to churn through whatever the latest release is constantly.

Besides, it's still the best LP they have going (albeit Liamvania is looking pretty hot-to-trot from the first episode out), so it's not like it's some dire situation. Souls fans are just going to be critical, because that's what we do. I mean, you see the same thing with FNF ("look at these scrubs dropping inputs and mashing out raw supers all over the place"), but it's not like anyone wants them to stop playing fighting games.

Oh god. The Billy lore keeps growing on the podcast.
Billy.gif

Emouse

Jeez it feels like I've not posted here in forever but hey

Can't tell if I'm enjoying the BB LP or not, it's fine for the most part, my only real gripes are the slow Woolie movement and him adopting the spin to win technique, which isn't too entertaining to watch, Pats backdown was a bizarre twist too, that being said I'm looking forward to seeing their reactions to some of the later stuff, their reactions to finding the clinic amongst other things was great to see, let's hope they do a big 'ol backtrack and find some of the optional areas before endgame tho

also last weeks scrublords "technical difficulty" was amazing

Anung

Un Rama
Rewatched the Call of Cthulhu shitstorm because I was bored and its a real shame its so broken as I'd love to see them finish it.

(Most RPGs do not have this quality; even as a Nuzlocke, Pokemon couldn't maintain.) That allows them to schedule the rest of their programming more intelligently instead of just having to churn through whatever the latest release is constantly.

The Nuzlocke LP was doomed from the start because they didn't ever seem to learn about editing such an LP. They left in all the uninteresting grinding and none of them actually seemed to give a shit about what was happening on the screen, resulting in boring gameplay with boring commentary. Also, they've never been a group to play the cutting edge latest games, so I disagree with that part.

Besides, it's still the best LP they have going (albeit Liamvania is looking pretty hot-to-trot from the first episode out), so it's not like it's some dire situation. Souls fans are just going to be critical, because that's what we do. I mean, you see the same thing with FNF ("look at these scrubs dropping inputs and mashing out raw supers all over the place"), but it's not like anyone wants them to stop playing fighting games.

I really, really disagree that ti's the "best LP they have going". The Spindash LP is vastly more entertaining because the three chucklefucks are having fun with it and how broken it is. The Rev2 playthrough was way better, the MKX playthrough was more fun, and the Liamvania situation is going to be a hilarious examination into breaking that game at the fundamental level.

It's not about the fans being critical of the game, it's about being entertaining. That is the job of an LP group; either play the game flawlessly and provide interesting commentary (ENB, Plague sometimes), or be entertaining while you fuck up (GameGrumps, TwoSayinsPlay, Crit1kal).

The BB LP is boring as hell and I don't think the commentary is all that great, in the same way that the DS2 game was boring and the only time I ever cared about it was when Pat discussed the zones or lore. Woolie killed the DS2 playthrough by taking so long to get good, and then dropping the pie again after the break and never really picking it back up.

But none of this really matters. They recorded the entire thing already, and I can only hope there's some godlike progress in one of these episodes that pushes the thing further along to conclusion. The fact they haven't even gotten to Rom yet means we're stuck with this thing for at least another couple of months at this rate.

But none of this really matters. They recorded the entire thing already, and I can only hope there's some godlike progress in one of these episodes that pushes the thing further along to conclusion. The fact they haven't even gotten to Rom yet means we're stuck with this thing for at least another couple of months at this rate.
Thank you for providing legitimate criticism instead of complaining over minute details, and acknowledging the point where there's nothing that's gonna change.

I really just dropped it- same as I did with DS2. Although unlike where I have no interest in seeing someone play DS2, this is just suffering too hard. I don't think blind Souls LPs are smart.

demidar

Thank you for providing legitimate criticism instead of complaining over minute details, and acknowledging the point where there's nothing that's gonna change.

I really just dropped it- same as I did with DS2. Although unlike where I have no interest in seeing someone play DS2, this is just suffering too hard. I don't think blind Souls LPs are smart.

Blind LPs are fine if the driver is super good and crushes every game they play. Or have a driver + 2 passengers.

Blind LPs are fine if the driver is super good and crushes every game they play. Or have a driver + 2 passengers.
I think the best Blind stuff on the channel is either goofy ass games, or stuff where one of the people involved knows about the game already.

I think playing very new games exaggerates it too, but then again Rev2 worked super well and was amazing so I dunno.

demidar

I think the best Blind stuff on the channel is either goofy ass games, or stuff where one of the people involved knows about the game already.

I think playing very new games exaggerates it too, but then again Rev2 worked super well and was amazing so I dunno.

It's not a blind run if one of them knows about the game beforehand =_=

I mean, if you dropped the DS2 playthrough, then you probably should consider this series was never for you in the first place. The DS2 playthrough is one of their most popular, and the only one to really survive having such an enormous runtime, even if not without its trials and tribulations. Woolie plays DaS1 while Pat commentates is probably one of their most requested LPs, and Bloodborne was certainly highly requested.

I honestly don't think it's reasonable for them to turn away from LPs that a significant percentage of their fanbase likes to try and be all-inclusive. I mean, I don't like the Spindash LPs even slightly, but there are clearly a lot of people watching them and requesting more of them, so I wouldn't want them to try and change the format to something I would enjoy at the cost of alienating that existing audience.

Edit: Though generally I would agree that double-blind was a dumb idea. The Miyazaki Souls games are way, way too nuanced in the way they work both mechanically and narratively, unless you're going to do post-commentary and/or heavy editing you really want one person in the room to know what's going on.

So as someone who's never played a Sonic, watching Sonic Adventure, why is everybody so mad about Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom? They look like they're made from the same janky cloth to me.

So as someone who's never played a Sonic, watching Sonic Adventure, why is everybody so mad about Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom? They look like they're made from the same janky cloth to me.

As others have said, Sonic Adventure's most immediately relevant comparison was to Mario 64. There were also a lot of games at the time experiencing significant "growing pains" making the 2D to 3D transition, so people were willing to give a lot more leeway in that regard. (To an extent. Games like Castlevania 64 were still pretty far beyond what people were willing to accept in terms of bad transitions.)

I guess everyone sort of expected the first 3D game in a series to be janky, but by the third or fourth entry there was a not-unreasonable expectation that the teams would have gotten it figured out. Even Mario Sunshine suffered a bit for the fact the "honeymoon" phase for 3D was over.

Numb

I am ok with most LPs or love them. Usually enjoy them cos they are maybe of a game i never played before and sometimes are of games i played but want to see what they think about. I suck at videogames in general so i don't get mad if they play bad. But if it were up to me i would like to see Brawls and Beat em ups and older games all the time. Seeing an LP of a new game that i also want to play doesn't excite me as much as seeing a weird old game i never heard about or maybe a game they tested and know inside and out.

Where as the Adventure games are janky, they came out in a time where 3D games in general were few, and are somewhat generally fun overall. 06 has no redeeming qualities, and between it and Boom, there were decent entries in Colors and Generations.
I mean, if you dropped the DS2 playthrough, then you probably should consider this series was never for you in the first place. The DS2 playthrough is one of their most popular, and the only one to really survive having such an enormous runtime, even if not without its trials and tribulations. Woolie plays DaS1 while Pat commentates is probably one of their most requested LPs, and Bloodborne was certainly highly requested.
I would go back and keep up with DaS2, I just had several times where I had to stop watching, between awful individual episodes or comments actually ruining any enjoyment I had. BB being double blind exaggerates the faults, or maybe I just can't handle another DS2-esque thing.
I honestly don't think it's reasonable for them to turn away from LPs that a significant percentage of their fanbase likes to try and be all-inclusive. I mean, I don't like the Spindash LPs even slightly, but there are clearly a lot of people watching them and requesting more of them, so I wouldn't want them to try and change the format to something I would enjoy at the cost of alienating that existing audience.
I see SO much complaining over these LPs that it actually hurts my enjoyment, so I maybe assumed too much in that complaints were from people actually upset.
Edit: Though generally I would agree that double-blind was a dumb idea. The Miyazaki Souls games are way, way too nuanced in the way they work both mechanically and narratively, unless you're going to do post-commentary and/or heavy editing you really want one person in the room to know what's going on.
Navi Pat would be nice.

Amazingly, 06 and Boom were even more jank than Adventure. Also, Adventure game out in fucking 1998.

Oh geez, I keep forgetting about the generational overlap at that time and my mind gets blown over and over again! o__O

No wonder people loved the Dreamcast

I was also a small babby with a SNES and broken PSX in 1998, knew about the Saturn due to magazines, but somehow totally missed that the Dreamcast existed

but somehow totally missed that the Dreamcast existed

A lot of people did. Good console, too early for its time, wasn't able to secure a lot of important games that would really keep Sega going as a console developer. Plus Sony had entered the market to take those game franchises and really deliver on having plenty of games available. Also the controller was too big even for my giant hands.

It probably helped that I enjoyed Sonic more than Mario on the early consoles, so I was a Sega guy until the Dreamcast was clearly dead. I still remember reading an article on it in a copy of Time kid edition. Being really surprised that could just... happen to a console. It was weird, but it did force me to diversify my gaming consoles and kicked me out of my fanboy phase, since I had been in a one console household up to that point.

Anung

Un Rama
I usually just watch everything they put out unless its something that really doesn't interest. Luckily that means very little goes missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom