• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all those people who were angry that they pumped vit, I guess it helped after all.

Not really? As far as I can tell, Frenzy is percentage based. Pumping VIT is basically useless against it.

If you mean Amy, they weren't even close to being in range of being one-shot by her attacks. Even if they had been, they could have just switched out of the doll costume and into actual armor. (It's one of the few sets in the game that's bad enough to legitimately make a difference.)

I mean, if they weren't getting one-shot by boulders, that might have been nice...

So all those people who were angry that they pumped vit, I guess it helped after all.

Not at the cost of damage imo.

Killing fast > Surviving more hits

There are some exceptions, but for this fight and many others like it, more damage would shorten the fight and would lead to less chances of making a bad move.

That said, Woolie did good...ish.

Altairre

Not really? As far as I can tell, Frenzy is percentage based. Pumping VIT is basically useless against it.

If you mean Amy, they weren't even close to being in range of being one-shot by her attacks. Even if they had been, they could have just switched out of the doll costume and into actual armor. (It's one of the few sets in the game that's bad enough to legitimately make a difference.)

I mean, if they weren't getting one-shot by boulders, that might have been nice...

They weren't close because they've been pumping health for a while now and they don't panic as much when there is a little buffer. Woolie
killed her on his first try
so I think complaining about how they're raising stats is pretty dumb.

Not at the cost of damage imo.

Killing fast > Surviving more hits

There are some exceptions, but for this fight and many others like it, more damage would shorten the fight and would lead to less chances of making a bad move.

That said, Woolie did good...ish.

You can hardly argue with the results though. If you're playing perfectly and know exactly what you're doing then yes, it would be more efficient but the way I see it what they're doing is valid as well.

They weren't close because they've been pumping health for a while now and they don't panic as much when there is a little buffer. Woolie

The version of Amy in Nightmare Frontier shouldn't one-shot anyone. You don't need to blow tons of levels on VIT to be able to comfortably survive those attacks.

I mean, I'm not saying "Don't ever put a single point in VIT!" or something, but if you're not even getting taken down to half health by most of a boss's attacks then it's time to start bumping a different stat to soft cap, not to pump more VIT. Amy gives you tons of time to heal after her attacks if you're at moderate range, you don't have to be able to eat three of them in a row to beat her unless you plan on running back and forth in front of her crotch like a chicken with your head cut off for half the fight. (Not that anyone would have done that, mind.)

Edit: It was interesting to see the Hunter's Axe in this fight, though. I've honestly only bothered using the whip and Tonitrus on Amy, so most of those running swings they went for would have either been sure things (with the whip) or not worth even trying for (with Tonitrus). I didn't realize the extended axe's arc and swing delay were that rough, it's no wonder he got frustrated not being able to get the damage off what should have been punishable openings. Any axe users know if there's just a better attack he should've been using to punish Amy when she bowed down?

Gestahl

The version of Amy in Nightmare Frontier shouldn't one-shot anyone. You don't need to blow tons of levels on VIT to be able to comfortably survive those attacks.

I mean, I'm not saying "Don't ever put a single point in VIT!" or something, but if you're not even getting taken down to half health by most of a boss's attacks then it's time to start bumping a different stat to soft cap, not to pump more VIT. Amy gives you tons of time to heal after her attacks if you're at moderate range, you don't have to be able to eat three of them in a row to beat her unless you plan on running back and forth in front of her crotch like a chicken with your head cut off for half the fight. (Not that anyone would have done that, mind.)

Edit: It was interesting to see the Hunter's Axe in this fight, though. I've honestly only bothered using the whip and Tonitrus on Amy, so most of those running swings they went for would have either been sure things (with the whip) or not worth even trying for (with Tonitrus). I didn't realize the extended axe's arc and swing delay were that rough, it's no wonder he got frustrated not being able to get the damage off what should have been punishable openings. Any axe users know if there's just a better attack he should've been using to punish Amy when she bowed down?

I just used the greatsword whenever I fought Amygdala. Bait out head drop, overhead swing, back away, repeat until arm ripping, then cling to its ass and watch as the AI loses its shit and starts hopping around constantly (you could see that a bit in the LP video) = dead boss. Even the defiled version posed little issue doing it this way. Of course you really want to fuck up regular Amy you just snort some bone dust and use the cannon but that would require points outside VIT and END and as we all know that's just not optimal and there's no debating it

*gets one shot by boulder*

I feel bad Pat kept getting one shot from the boulder. I'm guessing it's because he's wearing doll clothes, because I have less VIT and even on NG+ I don't get one-shot by them. Then again, beyond a certain point Runes are way more valuable to increasing effective health than VIT, anyway.

I still think they would probably be able to survive those boulders (albeit just barely) if they weren't in doll clothes. That would be the one time Pat's VIT obsession would actually pay dividends.
And then he could have gotten kicked in the ass by Patches, as a man should.

convo

"I'm away,I'm away,I'm away," while the universe is literally running in reverse because of how slow woolie is walking.Fight or flight, neither of them are distinguishable in movement speed.

Well, Woolie certainly earned his paycheck with that boss fight.

Also, the Liamvania LP's only downside is that shitty thumbnail art that makes Soma look like a weird albino elf.

Well, Woolie certainly earned his paycheck with that boss fight.

Also, the Liamvania LP's only downside is that shitty thumbnail art that makes Soma look like a weird albino elf.

To be fair, that's been Castlevania protagonist design since Symphony. Just pump more estrogen into his veins. It's fine.

I feel bad Pat kept getting one shot from the boulder. I'm guessing it's because he's wearing doll clothes, because I have less VIT and even on NG+ I don't get one-shot by them. Then again, beyond a certain point Runes are way more valuable to increasing effective health than VIT, anyway.

I still think they would probably be able to survive those boulders (albeit just barely) if they weren't in doll clothes. That would be the one time Pat's VIT obsession would actually pay dividends.
And then he could have gotten kicked in the ass by Patches, as a man should.

Counter damage. The boulder is do more damage because he's running/rolling.

Archgan

If only he had been slowly walking and panning the camera like Woolie taught him. RIP.

dead2.gif

I remember spending like an hour as a kid trying to kill that time stop rabbit. It felt so good coming back later and taking his soul.

also lol at dat spider girl/revese mermaid talk

Skrams

Bloodborne Part 35- These Pat runs are becoming pretty sad. Woolie did fine with the area and completed it faster than I expected. There's still a bit more to explore, but I guess Pat will try and do that later. That boss fight was fine for Woolie's first attempt, but man, that axe is really slowing them down. It was really silly for my playthrough on how you can just attack the parts hovering above the ground and get her down super quick if you came to the area late enough. I doubt my fight lasted more than 45 seconds. It was just whack, whack, riposte time, whack, and then dead. The axe delay for the specific attacks made that way harder than it should of been.

You can hardly argue with the results though. If you're playing perfectly and know exactly what you're doing then yes, it would be more efficient but the way I see it what they're doing is valid as well.

They're going to be fine despite the stats most of the time. I think it comes down to tactics, weapon level, and gems most of the time. I still wouldn't say they're speccing their character out that well at this point. If they want to pump Vit and End until the end then sure. There's nothing I can do to stop them.

They're going to be fine despite the stats most of the time. I think it comes down to tactics, weapon level, and gems most of the time. I still wouldn't say they're speccing their character out that well at this point. If they want to pump Vit and End until the end then sure. There's nothing I can do to stop them.

You can get away with building pretty much any way you want, as evidenced by things like ENB's Milquetoast run ('SL1' for all intents and purposes, starting a Milquetoast character and never leveling, deathless). The only reason 'VITgate' is even a thing is because Pat was so vehement about it and so insistent that his way is right.

Like if he had just said, "I don't really know what to build until I decide what weapon I like, so I just dump it into VIT and END" that's one thing, but he was actively fighting Woolie on putting points into STR and honestly kind of talking down to him. That's why we give him so much shit over it.

aly

You can get away with building pretty much any way you want, as evidenced by things like ENB's Milquetoast run ('SL1' for all intents and purposes, starting a Milquetoast character and never leveling, deathless). The only reason 'VITgate' is even a thing is because Pat was so vehement about it and so insistent that his way is right.

Like if he had just said, "I don't really know what to build until I decide what weapon I like, so I just dump it into VIT and END" that's one thing, but he was actively fighting Woolie on putting points into STR and honestly kind of talking down to him. That's why we give him so much shit over it.

Yep, that was my exact problem with the leveling as well. Also another good episode, but Pat is getting steam rolled. Perhaps it is punishment for trying to play ahead :D .

Skrams

I'm not disagreeing with you or anything. I just acknowledge that even if they do go Vit/End they can't really back themselves into a corner with how these games work. I would infinitely prefer seeing them pump Str as the damage they do now is very piddly, but I don't know if I really expect them to change their tune at this point with so much being recorded in advance. I also thought Pat's argument for never pumping Str was dumb considering the kind of game Bloodborne is. There's fewer weapons so you're not going to be incrementally putting a few points in here and there like a regular Souls game to try new shit. They've gone full axe at this point, so it feels like they'll not pay any mind to Str for a while. That Amy fight was pretty rough based purely off their damage output and the axe delay.

That Amy fight was pretty rough based purely off their damage output and the axe delay.

I was kind of surprised by that, actually. Woolie wasn't super fast to punish the moves that left openings, granted, but I still felt like most of those attempts he should have gotten a hit in. (Again, with the disclaimer that I fight Amy with a whip, so it's pretty easy for me to get two or even three hits on her head in response to her moves as long as she's not in phase three.)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Can anyone remind me which podcast it was that matt gave his impressions of john wick, cause I just watched it, and I love how spot on matt is on how they build him up as just the biggest dick OG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom