• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That new Mystery Box...
The black wind begins to blow...
That's the true weapon to defeat Lavos.

This is like something Jim Sterling would cover when looking at shitty Steam games. Only it's only on PS3... and it somehow came out last year but looks like a mid-gen PS2 game.

Geg

Yeah I went and looked up this game after like 7 minutes of watching the video and was fucking shocked to see it was released last year.

I thought Magus was going to be some secret "actually it's really good" sleeper hit like Demon's Souls when I first heard of it and I don't know why I did.

Yeah I went and looked up this game after like 7 minutes of watching the video and was fucking shocked to see it was released last year.

fFEHxhG.gif

grimmiq

Pat's enthusiasm for FFXIV is really making me want to resub and switch to the Ultros server.

He's really on the nose with the hardest part of playing mmos being finding people who you can team up with and stick with.

It's a shame Liam can't deal with other people in games. All it should take is to make a character on Ultros, join the FC, type /busy, turn on all chat filters and play through the main scenario quests..when he hits a dungeon, turn on FC chat, ask for 3 people to help, knock it out in 20mins since most people will be overgeared/skilled for every dungeon, say thanks, turn filters back on and continue with his single player experience.

If he chose SMN/BLM/BRD he could go into FATEs solo and just pretend all the other players are stupid NPCs.

Xux

Just now listening to the podcast.

All-Star Superman's so good. I sure hope Pat read it. After he reads it, he should flip to the other side and read Batman R.I.P., lol.

RainSD

Neo Member
Finally have some time to sit down and listen to the whole podcast. Can't wait to finish hearing about Matt's Kawaii Adventure with Takahata.

Xux

The whole point is that it's stupid. That's what makes comics awesome.

The premise for All-Star Superman was supposedly that Superman's life is just bizarre if you really think about it. Batman R.I.P. (by the same author around the same time which is why I like to compare them) is part of a line of Batman comics where the author wondered what it'd be like if everything that happened in Batman comics (like all the weird bullshit with aliens and stuff in the '50s and '60s) was canon and it's just so fucking weird that it's great.

It's a shame Liam can't deal with other people in games. All it should take is to make a character on Ultros, join the FC, type /busy, turn on all chat filters and play through the main scenario quests..when he hits a dungeon, turn on FC chat, ask for 3 people to help, knock it out in 20mins since most people will be overgeared/skilled for every dungeon, say thanks, turn filters back on and continue with his single player experience.

If he chose SMN/BLM/BRD he could go into FATEs solo and just pretend all the other players are stupid NPCs.
I remember being new and worrying that I'd miss getting a Chocobo or wouldn't play my class properly, but the game does a great job of getting the player into it without relying on others for information. I had never played a MMO, went into it with a single friend who was also a scrub, and it was a blast playing through progression content by ourselves.

You'r also right about FATEs. It's basically just time to put on some podcasts or Netflix while leveling.

Skrams

Magus. 2014. What. The studio seems to be people in Japan and Australia which makes no sense with what that game is. It screams PC game ported to PS3 with the small as shit UI and weird eurojank shit going on. It's more similar to a XBLIG or something Jim Sterling should be playing rather than anything else I can think of.
Edit: found it! Look at how broken he is :|
None of those are actually him broken though.
At some point you'd think Pat would just get tired of shitting all over comics or DC or whoever and how Superman is dumb because he's invincible or how Green Lantern is dumb because big green fists. It all ends in him getting yelled at to read a thing in and then after a year he eventually reads something only for his opinion to not change because he still thinks the base idea is dumb.

Skrams

Green fisting is dumb though, in the context of what the rings do.

I'm not saying it's not dumb. I'm saying Pat has problems with the fucking base of the whole idea of some comics. I am not into comics at all, but I don't see people actually convincing him Superman or Green Lantern or whoever is a cool character when he thinks the base thing is boring. He thinks Superman is boring because he's practically invincible. He thinks Green Lantern is dumb because Green Lantern is so shitty at Green Lanterning that he can only come up with giant fists since making things with your mind takes a lot of concentration.

I just wonder if he'll just eventually give up on certain characters when he already dislikes their base concepts. All Star Superman didn't change his mind about only Superman, so I could see him being stubborn in the future when it comes to other silly heroes he doesn't care about.

He seems to mostly like the more grounded heroes or less boring idealistic heroes from what I can remember anyway. Batman is Batman, Daredevil is Daredevil, She Hulk is a lawyer, Spiderman is a smarmy, lovable shit, Wolverine is fun, and Punisher blows up crack houses. That's all the kind of heroes I can remember him actually liking at least at the moment.

MrHoot

The only superman I remember enjoying reading was Superman Red Son, a one-off comic with the premisce being "What if superman landed in the USSR rather than in the US". It was very interesting as you see Superman being raised by the stalinist regime, while Lex Luthor works for the US government and you actually see both the strenghts and flaws of both these characters.

I'm not sure Pat's actually opposed to Superman's core idea, because he liked Dragonball Z. I think it might actually be that Superman as a character, completely divorced from his powers, is not interesting to him.

I have the same deal with Aquaman and had a devil of a time explaining it to a friend who loves him and thought I hated him because his powers weren't "strong" enough or something. The problem isn't with the powers, it's that the character underneath those powers just isn't interesting to me at all.

If I remember right his problem with the Green Lanterns was less about the character or powers, even, and more the "setting". The "galactic" settings of both comic book universes are pretty dumb, especially if you're coming into them in the modern era and trying to catch up on the absurdly huge quantities of dumb that got injected in the 70's and 80's (and somehow still never gets jettisoned when they do these "reboots"). A lot of people just cannot suspend their disbelief hard enough to accept that extent of gibberish, which is what really made Guardians of the Galaxy's success so amazing.

Yeah, I was okay with him in Justice League (Unlimited) when they were punching Cthulhu in the brains and stuff. I just wasn't really keen to follow him back to his fish-house and hear more about his amazing underwater adventures, or anything.

explodet

Wow what an absolute piece of garbage that Mystery Box game was. Literally everything about it was offensive to my eyes.
When this came out on PSN, I was this close to just buying the game to see how awful it was. The screenshots just shouted "zero effort".

I was flabbergasted when I learned this got a physical release as well.

Gestahl

"Apparently I don't know anything about strength scaling"

*levels up endurance*

"Apparently the cannon was so broken that they had to increase its QB usage"

*leveled up endurance*

Caderfix

Man, Pat and Woolie's Vit - End build is going to be fun to whatch once they fight the end game bosses.

They will NEVER backdown from the Vit -End path now that they've tapped out from the feedback.

I'm not even mad anymore. Actually, the fact they've spent 18k echoes for three End made me laugh.

The fact that the guys have now completely tapped out from any feedback (actually weeks and weeks ago) means that all of this is even more worthless now.

amazing

Leveling vit and end is fine till they hit the softcap/hardcap.

Geg

The drama over stats is legitimately hilarious. I kind of hope they're doing it on purpose now

I wonder what Pat meant when he talked about Fastborne on the podcast

Cocoa

The drama over stats is legitimately hilarious. I kind of hope they're doing it on purpose now

I wonder what Pat meant when he talked about Fastborne on the podcast

I'd venture to say he meant the loading times when he said that.

ArjanN

It's pretty weird how incensed these comments are, especially given how little the stats actually matter. You could distribute points randomly with your eyes closed and still beat the game just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom