• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It more frustrating because I've had a conversation with a Gamestop employee that went similarly. Just incredibly dismissive and ignorant.

I enjoyed Bestfriendvania quite a bit. I really hope they end up doing more of them. Castlevania is a series I've always wanted to get into, but never really have. I backed Iga's Bloodstained, so it's probably a good time to do so.

At least they didn't say that Donte was better than Dante because Dante is an 'Inuyasha rip-off character'. Or that the color coded enemies add strategy in a game belonging to the 'popcorn flick genre of videogames'.

It more frustrating because I've had a conversation with a Gamestop employee that went similarly. Just incredibly dismissive and ignorant.

I enjoyed Bestfriendvania quite a bit. I really hope they end up doing more of them. Castlevania is a series I've always wanted to get into, but never really have. I backed Iga's Bloodstained, so it's probably a good time to do so.

Yeah, I know they dump on Dawn of Sorrows a bit in the LP, but I actually liked the DS Castlevanias quite a bit and hope they do get around to playing them. I'll admit Portrait of Ruin's tagteam mechanic is probably the least interesting main character ability in the series, but it's otherwise a solid game.

As far as Gamestop goes, it's nice to know their employees are the same everywhere. I remember them talking on a podcast about how "high-pressure sales tactics" aren't really a thing in Canada, but you can still count on Gamestop employees to talk you out of a sale anywhere in the world.

Yeah, I know they dump on Dawn of Sorrows a bit in the LP, but I actually liked the DS Castlevanias quite a bit and hope they do get around to playing them. I'll admit Portrait of Ruin's tagteam mechanic is probably the least interesting main character ability in the series, but it's otherwise a solid game.

As far as Gamestop goes, it's nice to know their employees are the same everywhere. I remember them talking on a podcast about how "high-pressure sales tactics" aren't really a thing in Canada, but you can still count on Gamestop employees to talk you out of a sale anywhere in the world.

The Gamestop employee just kinda asks if I have a membership whatever and when I say no just bids me a good day. I've never actually encountered high pressure sales tactics, so that was really weird hearing about on the podcast.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
At least they didn't say that Donte was better than Dante because Dante is an 'Inuyasha rip-off character'. Or that the color coded enemies add strategy in a game belonging to the 'popcorn flick genre of videogames'.

Nah, that's more the tripe you get around here from certain DmC fans.

Anyway, it's less about him liking DmC and far more about his attitude and blanket obliviousness. The irony is that as much as DmC fans try to paint DMC fans as whiny and dismissive assholes, DmC fans are generally more likely to say they're right "just because" and have a victim complex.

I played a tiny bit of Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. The only thing I really remember about Portrait of Ruin was the beautiful sprite animation. I'd like to see Liam tackle all of em. Or as many as he wants to do. Aria of Sorrow was fun to watch.

Gamestops are just hit or miss. Some of them have great employees that can have real conversations about games. Others are filled with incompetent shits that think they know everything. Even if your Gamestop doesn't employ "high-pressure sales tactics" they are pushed and encouraged to by corporate.

The Gamestop employee just kinda asks if I have a membership whatever and when I say no just bids me a good day. I've never actually encountered high pressure sales tactics, so that was really weird hearing about on the podcast.

Not so much "pressure" in this case as Gamestop employees having this weird need to put proselytizing above professionalism. Like, they aren't even trying to get you to trade up to buying a newer/more expensive game (outside of used game pushing, anyway), it seems to be the individual employees pushing their personal agenda and not the company line.

I'm just trying to imagine going into a bookstore to get a book on the new C++ programming standard and having the employee tell me, "Nah man, that's some rank shit, C++ hasn't changed since 1980. You want a JAVA book bro, it's the best language of all time. OF ALL TIME."

Anung

Un Rama
We don't have Gamestops over here but I don't think I've ever heard a positive story about them. Sound like an odious company.

We don't have Gamestops over here but I don't think I've ever heard a positive story about them. Sound like an odious company.

Depends on your gamestop. Some workers are real scumbags, but most of the ones I've gone to have people who actually play the games and tend to know what they're talking about.

I haven't had a major problem with their actual corporate policy since they (seemingly) stopped making pushing used games over new game sales their SOP. I fully recognize that the employees I've had problems with - the ones who seem to be pushing an "internet forum" type agenda rather than just doing their job - are individuals acting on an individual basis, and not really a reflection of the hiring practices.

That said, they could probably do a better job of reigning them in. The first time one of your employees tries to talk someone out of buying something, you sit them down and explain to them that they are a retail clerk and not a life coach. I don't care if a 50 year old man comes in asking for Barbie's Horse Adventure, you don't try to talk someone out of a sale no matter how poor a fit it seems; not only is it the exact opposite of your job, it's actually quite rude, as you're basically patronizing the person.

I mean, I've never had someone try to talk me out of buying a fighting game, but I've certainly had clerks try to talk me out of buying things I explicitly came in to buy (a Wii-U, Bayonetta 2, etc.) on the basis that I obviously don't want the system Call of Duty won't even release on/a game with a girl protagonist/"baby stuff"/etc.

aly

I've never had a problem, so I guess it just depends. In fact, one tried to warn me not to sell my dot hack collection. But I was a foolish 12 year old :( .

Liam's right, more enemies in games need to fuck up. I love it in Dark Souls when the guys trying to send a boulder rolling toward you fuck up and hit themselves with the boulder somehow.

Anung

Un Rama
For some reason I genuinely hope they play one of the Blade games on the mystery box.

SOME MOTHERFUCKERS ALWAYS TRY LP UP A HILL.

Oh god, I can't believe Liam still doesn't know what the
Chinese underwater ghost base
is. He should just watch the fucking LP instead of playing the game.

Gotta agree with Liam about FFXIV. The game is fucking great and the dungeons are awesome, but playing with other people isn't. Even though my experience with the community has been good for dungeon runs, I'd MUCH rather run dungeons with 3 smart AI than 3 players, or just skip out on dungeons overall. FFXIV is definitely the kind of game where you can just rip out the players and some of the grindy aspects and have a great RPG since the story is actually pretty good and the game itself is really fun to play. It'd probably be impossible to do raids, but as someone who has no interest in repeating the same things over and over again to get items, I wouldn't miss it.

Skrams

Bloodborne Part 39- This is why facefucking everything is a good plan. Good job Fuckface. It would of gone smoother if you didn't do piddly damage still, but oh well. Also I guess the new shit to push might be "Oh man, that looks like the thing from Dark Souls 1!"

Also man, there is some good sounds for Zone to use from that Mystery Box. Liam was just handing them out.

Finished the podcast. The Nintendo Theme park discussion was great.

Also, haven't they already used this closing music already??
Or have I listened to this mash up too much...

Echoes is the better game, Pat's right. Woolie's nuts for calling it a horseshit ending. Game gave you the fucking Annihilator beam and the coolest two armors that have graced Metroid.

Echoes was a lot more interesting than Corruption anyway.

It's hard to pay attention with all the back downs going on. On the plus side, Woolie has found the most important item description in the game: The pebble.

What where did he see the description for the pebble? I don't remember his reaction to it?

Also Echoes is the best prime game.

aly

What where did he see the description for the pebble? I don't remember his reaction to it?

Also Echoes is the best prime game.

Loading screen description. I think he was talking about the joke at the end, which is "Small pebbles found throughout Yharnam. Can be thrown at foes. Quite thrilling."

Loading screen description. I think he was talking about the joke at the end, which is "Small pebbles found throughout Yharnam. Can be thrown at foes. Quite thrilling."

It makes me wish they used British localization teams with the limiters removed for more games.

explodet

I haven't been watching this LP, have they discovered yet that pebbles are just
petrified eyeballs
?

aly

I haven't been watching this LP, have they discovered yet that pebbles are just
petrified eyeballs
?

No, I think most of the lore and little things like that have been missed ( such as the Cainhurst
dress being the same dress that Arianna wears
), especially since they weren't reading item descriptions most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom