• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that fighting game news and they didn't bring up GG Xrd Sign Revalaitons. I guess it's better this way since they can talk about it and the new character reveal next week.

I think the choice is obvious
tumblr_npbzkeQw611s897f9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_npbzkeQw611s897f9o2_1280.gif

convo

I am starting to believe that Pat is deaf and he has been faking it by readings peoples lips and subtitles . How is the Life is strange play through going? It seems to get interesting.

Skrams

Bloodborne Part 47- I only saw one thread about it a while ago, but man, I really hate that you can't map jump to L3. Woolie ate shit running in and then trying to dodge because you have to pause or else you jump like he did. For a game about aggressiveness you'd think they'd want you running in and doing quick dodges to attack. If you're going to take at least one thing from DS2, at least take the ability to map the jump to Circle/B or L3.

Also the music is just non traditional during that boss battle. It's pretty neat actually. Found it pretty funny that I synced up with Pat saying,
"It's a stand."

This is also where I learn to never listen to plagues opinion again because he doesn't like character action.

"We're out of vials again," said Pat after already forgetting he fell and then consumed two.

Oh look, Blood Gems added 100 more damage. How about that.

Glad they decided to call it quits there too since tired Woolie was seeping in after all his adrenaline fell off from the boss fight.

Also the music is just non traditional during that boss battle. It's pretty neat actually. Found it pretty funny that I synced up with Pat saying,
"It's a stand."

BABY
Stand?!

But, yeah, the 'music box' music is super distinctive, I wonder if maybe Pat was having audio problems to have missed it.

Xiraiya

Beloved and I ended up watching that New Zealand vampire movie Matt was apparently talking about on the podcast.

It was hilarious, more entertaining than I expected, honestly.

zeemumu

Bloodborne Part 47- I only saw one thread about it a while ago, but man, I really hate that you can't map jump to L3. Woolie ate shit running in and then trying to dodge because you have to pause or else you jump like he did. For a game about aggressiveness you'd think they'd want you running in and doing quick dodges to attack. If you're going to take at least one thing from DS2, at least take the ability to map the jump to Circle/B or L3.

"It's a stand."

This is also where I learn to never listen to plagues opinion again because he doesn't like character action.

"We're out of vials again," said Pat after already forgetting he fell and then consumed two.

Oh look, Blood Gems added 100 more damage. How about that.

Glad they decided to call it quits there too since tired Woolie was seeping in after all his adrenaline fell off from the boss fight.

Pat knows something. He has to. Maybe Liam informed him ahead of time again.

Pat knows something. He has to. Maybe Liam informed him ahead of time again.

No real secret there. Liam told them what they need to do to get the full ending so as to not botch the playthrough. (As it's not a normal "bad ending" split, considering the worst case scenario costs you two full boss fights.)

Anung

Un Rama
Good BB ep. Some of the botches they made were pretty bad but I'll put that down to tiredness. It feels weird that they've got a few more things to do but were coming to the end of the LP. It has had its rough moments (READ: Episodes) but its got pretty good recently.

One thing this LP has taught us is that Woolie has the worst sense of direction on earth.

Xiraiya

Well now you're just being ridiculous, there is more to life than character action games.
Plague strikes me as the kind of guy who probably needs more out of a game than just "Master this fighting mechanic and do it really well over and over and I guess hope to feel like a cool guy or something."

One thing this LP has taught us is that Woolie has the worst sense of direction on earth.
We knew that from Dark Souls 2.

Skrams

Go watch Matt fumble through Downpour again and then tell me you truly believe that. I think Woolie was only having major trouble near the end of the episode since he was getting tired.

Well now you're just being ridiculous, there is more to life than character action games.

Plague strikes me as the kind of guy who probably needs more out of a game than just "Master this fighting mechanic and do it really well over and over and I guess hope to feel like a cool guy or something."

I was being a shit with hyperbole, but yes, I'm not surprised that character action doesn't fall into Plagues interests heavily. Especially since he's mainly a PC gamer and probably has barely dabbled with the genre. He already dislikes Bloodborne since it's straying from what he truly wants out of souls which seems to be guys swinging swords slowly while being super tired due to heat exhaustion from their armor. Since Bloodborne leans more towards character action than that then it makes sense.

Archgan

^Great minds, right?
Good BB ep. Some of the botches they made were pretty bad but I'll put that down to tiredness. It feels weird that they've got a few more things to do but were coming to the end of the LP. It has had its rough moments (READ: Episodes) but its got pretty good recently.

I think Matt's sense of direction is worse than Woolie's. Watching the Downpour LP, it is amazing how much Matt makes full 360s multiple times in a row.

Xiraiya

I was being a shit with hyperbole, but yes, I'm not surprised that character action doesn't fall into Plagues interests heavily. Especially since he's mainly a PC gamer and probably has barely dabbled with the genre. He already dislikes Bloodborne since it's straying from what he truly wants out of souls which seems to be guys swinging swords slowly while being super tired due to heat exhaustion from their armor. Since Bloodborne leans more towards character action than that then it makes sense.

That's unfortunate, I mean Bloodborne is still an action RPG, just a more specialized one.

Plague is a bizarre fence-obsessed farm man with a winning personality and an amazing ability to draw butts, but I wouldn't necessarily go to him for a game recommendation.

Plague strikes me as the kind of guy who probably needs more out of a game than just "Master this fighting mechanic and do it really well over and over and I guess hope to feel like a cool guy or something.".
I've been in his streams and crossover streams and stuff, and his biggest complaints are storytelling and the lameness of the NPCs. There's very little in terms of depth, individual character motivations, or interesting NPC stories in general.

He's not a fan of basing the gameplay around i-frames and it being more reaction based instead of decision based either, but that's more preference.

aly

These last few episodes have brought Shame upon Woolie's sense of Direction. Glad they liked the boss fight. It's one of my favorite designs in the game.

That's a pretty hilarious description, but yeah I agree, especially since I love character action games. It's cool he feels that way, but it's really something to keep in mind about the difference in taste when thinking about games Plague likes.

I've been in his streams and crossover streams and stuff, and his biggest complaints are storytelling and the lameness of the NPCs. There's very little in terms of depth, individual character motivations, or interesting NPC stories in general.

He's not a fan of basing the gameplay around i-frames and it being more reaction based instead of decision based either, but that's more preference.

That's weird because I love the story and NPCs way more than all of Dark 2 and DeS. You can make the argument for DS1 still having the best lore/NPCs, but I think the atmosphere of BB puts the atmosphere in DS1 to complete shame making it a more interesting game overall. And that's without being a fan of Victorian or Dark Fantasy settings.

That's weird because I love the story and NPCs way more than all of Dark 2 and DeS. You can make the argument for DS1 still having the best lore/NPCs, but I think the atmosphere of BB puts the atmosphere in DS1 to complete shame. And that's without being a fan of Victorian or Dark Fantasy settings.
In terms of atmosphere DeS inspired BB for a reason. I think BB takes second there, though.

What Plague means is character motivations and stories of characters in the lore. Lots of BB characters do things, but the reasons are never implied. The story in BB is really insubstantial, and a lot of the NPC quests are really unsatisfying or actually nothing. A lot of elements just go nowhere or have no interesting ending. Miyazaki in the guidebook talks about how he wanted to make it so you could save real Iosefka but the other developers told him no, so I figure it was a matter of deadlines, hopefully.

Plague's big pro about the game is all the Cthulhu stuff though.

In terms of atmosphere DeS inspired BB for a reason. I think BB takes second there, though.

What Plague means is character motivations and stories of characters in the lore. Lots of BB characters do things, but the reasons are never implied. The story in BB is really insubstantial, and a lot of the NPC quests are really unsatisfying or actually nothing. A lot of elements just go nowhere or have no interesting ending. Miyazaki in the guidebook talks about how he wanted to make it so you could save real Iosefka but the other developers told him no, so I figure it was a matter of deadlines, hopefully.

Plague's big pro about the game is all the Cthulhu stuff though.

I'll wait to judge BB's full story until the expansion comes out. DS1's best lore comes from its DLC, so I'm not ready to judge everything about BB until its all said and done and everything has been dug up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom