• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the only difference between ruining a playthrough and enjoying one is them saying "yeah I've played this before" then that's just a teensy bit sad to me.

That sums it up pretty well. Most of us just watch these to see the gameplay, hear some dumb jokes, and enjoy their intereaftion with one another. There are entire channels out there dedicated entirely to people reacting to their very first playthrough of a game. And all things considered, these guys do a great job simulating first impression hype even if it's not always their first time seeing it.

I think he's using the Old Hunter Bone/Quickening. It's something your character can do too and it's awesome.

It is, though it's QS Bullet intensive to maintain for an actual player. At least the Arcane requirement is quite reasonable, though.

Woolie: "Look, it's one of those things that popped out of that whore that we killed." They're called babies, Woolie, geez. This isn't like murdering someone during a football scrim.

Edzi

You're missing what people are saying. For a start most of us are complaining that them acting surprised was disingenuous. Instead of being honest about it they basically acted how they probably thought people would want them to act which while understandable is still shitty as someone who enjoys them for their reactions...genuine ones. If I wanted scripted videos I'd watch them. We're not complaining because they're not playing 100% the way we want them to. Most of us bitch all the time about how double blind LP's are a bad idea for their style. It's not skill level or the fact they've played a game or not it's the acting that's off putting. Especially when the LP format and their personalities are why so many of us love their stuff. Finding out those moments were manufactured is lame.

I had to Ludwig R2 the shit out of that hunter. I don't blame anyone wanting to bypass that prick.

Oh man, I got him down to like 1/10th of his health with my saw cleaver in a super intense battle of quick steps and dodges...but one bad move towards the end and I was dead. Came back and wrecked him with Ludwigs R2 as well. No regrets.

Oh, and regarding the rest of your post... Well said, and agreed.

Numb

You're missing what people are saying. For a start most of us are complaining that them acting surprised was disingenuous. Instead of being honest about it they basically acted how they probably thought people would want them to act which while understandable is still shitty as someone who enjoys them for their reactions...genuine ones. If I wanted scripted videos I'd watch them. We're not complaining because they're not playing 100% the way we want them to. Most of us bitch all the time about how double blind LP's are a bad idea for their style. It's not skill level or the fact they've played a game or not it's the acting that's off putting. Especially when the LP format and their personalities are why so many of us love their stuff. Finding out those moments were manufactured is lame.

I had to Ludwig R2 the shit out of that hunter. I don't blame anyone wanting to bypass that prick.

I actually understand it now. Seems like the type of thing a simple explanation at the start could cover.
I mean we already knew the entire Zaibatsu would play the game even by themselves.

demidar

TBH I don't think them faking it matters if you couldn't even tell and it still proves entertaining. But they shouldn't fake it anyway and they hopefully won't in the future.

Finding out those moments were manufactured is lame.

No, I get what you're saying, I'm just saying that scripted surprise or not, they're still entertaining, fun, hype videos to watch. So they knew what was coming, it made for better moments and a great watch. They still had to come up with gags on the fly, even if they knew shit was coming in. They still have to play off each other to make jokes. They still have to do everything that they normally do. It's not like the entire thing was scripted.

I couldn't tell when I first watched it, honestly, and it's still fun to watch even knowing that.

Skrams

Why is the alternative to uploading a re-recorded video not posting it at all? Why not just mention that it was recorded again?
I didn't watch the Evil Within LP, but I'm lead to believe they lost an episode for that and then rerecorded it while being legit that they lost it. I don't see what would of stopped them from just fessing up to it and doing that instead.

Matt's posts to reclarify this.

For MGR...yeah, we COULDN'T resist, and basically both beat the game before we had finished the LP video series. To be honest, I think it's one of our weakest LPs, and taught us how we should never both have beaten a game if we are to do an LP of it.

Although to be completely honest, we've not talked about that kinda stuff before. There was a section that had to be re-done in the Disaster LP that we didn't really acknowledge, as well as basically the entire Revengeance LP, where we both had beaten it, but acted like we had not.

But that bit of Evil Within was kinda fun to talk about, so I think we'll do it that way from now on.
I'm glad they learned from their mistakes at least.
Key word, some.

I still believe it to be juvenile to get wholly upset at them not disclosing every single time they don't reveal whether a LP is blind or not. If it placates the fans to just say it, then go ahead, but I watch because I enjoy listening to them play off of each other, not because their LPs are wholly genuine.

I've said my piece though so I'd rather agree to disagree and leave it at that.
What the fuck is this? I don't know what you're trying to get at by only saying some. If you're trying to indicate we're in a minority so it's fine then wow, okay. I'd like to see the receipts on why it's fine since it's only some of us even though there's no numbers at all to even dictate if we're a minority or not. If I was going off the handful sampling here then it seems it's pretty down the middle with people who dislike it, abstain, or are fine with it.
I guess it's because I watch them to have a good time and be entertained that I could care less if they've played a game before or not, or played ahead, or used a guide, or whatever. People lauded Liam's ability in the Castlevania game, we fucking loved the W101 playthrough, all these other playthroughs where they were just as hyped as the day they played it for the first time. It was still fun.

If the only difference between ruining a playthrough and enjoying one is them saying "yeah I've played this before" then that's just a teensy bit sad to me.
I don't understand how these inapt comparisons are still being made.

I do not expect every playthrough to be blind.
I know they have played through games before where one has played it or both have.

My problem comes from them faking reactions in the game as if it was a first experience. I did not only state that they need to have said "yeah, but I played this before." I expected that and them not playing dumb as if they didn't know what was going on with the characters, story, or events. I don't see how them having a regular playthrough where they didn't fake it and instead acted at their normal level of hype would of been any less hype for certain events in the game.

That sums it up pretty well. Most of us just watch these to see the gameplay, hear some dumb jokes, and enjoy their intereaftion with one another. There are entire channels out there dedicated entirely to people reacting to their very first playthrough of a game. And all things considered, these guys do a great job simulating first impression hype even if it's not always their first time seeing it.
Reading the words that they do a good job simulating first impressions bothers me more than it should.

Edzi

I didn't watch the Evil Within LP, but I'm lead to believe they lost an episode for that and then rerecorded it while being legit that they lost it. I don't see what would of stopped them from just fessing up to it and doing that instead.

If I'm remembering right, they were super up front with the parts they had to redo since they had to switch from PC to PS4. In fact, they made the decision to restart on camera in the middle of the LP, and Pat even had an entire episode of just him playing and catching up with some commentary.

Reading the words that they do a good job simulating first impressions bothers me more than it should.

You and me both...

Anung

Un Rama
If I'm remembering right, they were super up front with the parts they had to redo since they had to switch from PC to PS4 (in fact, they made the decision to restart on camera in the middle of the LP). Pat even had an entire episode of just him playing and catching up with some commentary.

I'm rewatching it right now and they were completely transparent in explaining the amount of technical difficulties and the lost time and redo's. With all my problems with that LP them being disingenuous isn't one of them. They handled it the best they could considering the clusterfuck the PC version is/was.

You and me both...

Thirded.

I

What the fuck is this? I don't know what you're trying to get at by only saying some. If you're trying to indicate we're in a minority so it's fine then wow, okay. I'd like to see the receipts on why it's fine since it's only some of us even though there's no numbers at all to even dictate if we're a minority or not. If I was going off the handful sampling here then it seems it's pretty down the middle with people who dislike it, abstain, or are fine with it.

Now you're putting words into my mouth. I never said that. Don't imply anything that isn't there.

By your own admission, the people that are truly bothered by this and the people that don't let it bother them are split. I'm with the side that says it's not a big deal.

That's all I've directly typed. Please do not project any inference other than what I've typed.

Xux

Jeeze, this thread got dark. I wonder how many tries until they
cheese/
kill the werewolves in the main room.

Also, cosplay:
ska3AxF.jpg

Skrams

Now you're putting words into my mouth. I never said that. Don't imply anything that isn't there.

By your own admission, the people that are truly bothered by this and the people that don't let it bother them are split. I'm with the side that says it's not a big deal.

That's all I've directly typed. Please do not project any inference other than what I've typed.

When you leave me with the sentence "keyword, some," and don't follow up one why you bothered writing it then I'm left grasping at straws. I clearly stated I didn't know what you were trying to get at. You still don't even really make it apparent with what you're saying now. All you seem to be saying with this exact post is that it's not a big deal. I value honesty when it comes to this kind of stuff and if you let it slide then okay.

Jeeze, this thread got dark. I wonder how many tries until they
cheese/
kill the werewolves in the main room.

Also, cosplay:

Prediction: one-shot the werewolves, one death to the brainsuckers, one-shot the Emissary, and I'm going to say the crazy thing and predict they one-shot the Daughter because they're coming here late enough in the game and honestly that fight is closer to a "level check" boss than anything else in the game.

Probably burn through like 16 vials doing it, though.

Xux

Prediction: one-shot the werewolves, one death to the brainsuckers, one-shot the Emissary, and I'm going to say the crazy thing and predict they one-shot the Daughter because they're coming here late enough in the game and honestly that fight is closer to a "level check" boss than anything else in the game.

Oh gawd, I forgot about the brainsuckers; that shit was annoying. I agree they'll one shot the Emissary, though. One shotting Ebrietas sounds pretty crazy; those "move forward" and "turn around" attacks took me some getting used to.

Oh gawd, I forgot about the brainsuckers; that shit was annoying. I agree they'll one shot the Emissary, though. One shotting Ebrietas sounds pretty crazy; those "move forward" and "turn around" attacks took me some getting used to.

The thing is if you're high enough level the passive defense you get from leveling reduces the damage from her most annoying attacks enough that the risk of being outright killed by them is minimized.

The big threats are her fuck-off space lasers (which I wouldn't be surprised at them dying to since they have a more 'stand back and watch' style of play, which is what usually prompts her to do that) and just not noticing the damage over time effect from her final phase until it becomes too much to deal with (could definitely also see a death to this, too).

So, yeah, I definitely could see a number of deaths to her, but I think they'll get it. I feel like they're just high enough on VIT/overall level to take a partial hit from the lasers without dying, and other than that it's mostly just a matter of not running out of vials before the boss runs out of health. (Though if Pat's playing at the time his tendency to not top his health off could very easily get him killed, anyway...)

When you leave me with the sentence "keyword, some," and don't follow up one why you bothered writing it then I'm left grasping at straws. I clearly stated I didn't know what you were trying to get at. You still don't even really make it apparent with what you're saying now. All you seem to be saying with this exact post is that it's not a big deal. I value honesty when it comes to this kind of stuff and if you let it slide then okay.

Simply, I value their honesty about those things as well but I also value their discretion to tell or not tell viewers. Either way, it does not affect my feelings about them or the content. Its disappointing but not enough for me to not watch.

If you want to continue, PM then.

Squishy3

I've boiled down the reasons why Matt and Liam like Life is Strange so much.

It's Degrassi with time powers.

Latest episode spoilers:
Chloe confirmed for Drake.

You guys are funny.

Complain when they're doing bad, complain when they're doing good.
Just let them play however they want, they've reached past their golden age (Deadly Premonition).

How are the odds looking on them missing Ebrietas all together? I figure there's always the possibility that they get through CE, wug the halls of the arena, find nothing, and go back to the dream disappointed without ever rolling through the window.

How are the odds looking on them missing Ebrietas all together? I figure there's always the possibility that they get through CE, wug the halls of the arena, find nothing, and go back to the dream disappointed without ever rolling through the window.

I think the fact that Liam told them that was his favorite area makes it unlikely. No one would call Upper Cathedral Ward their favorite area if it ended off with the King of the Ayyyyy-liens.

Wait, are they not going to finish Freedom Planet? Didn't they say they had like "4 hours quicklook"? I counted only a little over 2 hours in the 4 parts.

Skrams

Wait, are they not going to finish Freedom Planet? Didn't they say they had like "4 hours quicklook"? I counted only a little over 2 hours in the 4 parts.

They always finish LPs. We've just had a two day break due to the Combat Core video and Batman. It'll probably finish within the next week or two. They said the total time of the game was about 4 hours and 30 minutes. The video was supposed to be a quick look at first, but it turned into a full LP. That seems to be a thing they're trying out now ever since Korra was supposed to be a QL and turned into a full LP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom