• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for a gun jumper Liam Souls playthrough. I don't want Woolie/Pat to be the trend.

Demon's playthrough with Liam is definitely up there for me. Pat and Liam is my favourite pairing. Maybe I'm not fatigued because I've avoided the Bloodborne playthrough because spoilers.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm all for a gun jumper Liam Souls playthrough. I don't want Woolie/Pat to be the trend.

Demon's playthrough with Liam is definitely up there for me. Pat and Liam is my favourite pairing. Maybe I'm not fatigued because I've avoided the Bloodborne playthrough because spoilers.

Okay, I take back what I said. I'd take a Pat/Liam DeS playthrough. That'd be great.

I actually like to watch very average players play Souls. (Average as in "worse than Pat and Woolie".) Surprisingly, Pewdiepie - once you strip away all the asinine post-editing he does on his videos - is a pretty good example of an "average" Souls player, and that's a hard perspective to get when you've gone balls-deep into the games.

As an example, he described the second-to-last boss fight as being like the last fight of Dark Souls, but "much harder". That's very interesting to me, and not something I would have considered myself, because I've played through Dark Souls so many times that my memories of the last boss are "parry, fashion pose, trololol". I'm tempted to go a round with him and just try to kite him around to see how much commonality they have in their behavior.

(I mean, I know that DS1's last boss clearly has a much more limited moveset, but I'm curious if the two bosses behave very similarly when presented with players doing similar things. They certainly have the potential to.)

Souls games are way too fucking long for an LP channel.

I contest that if you want Dark Souls, go watch Plague's videos.

Plague's series would be like an hour long if he was actually LPing and not sight-seeing, though. Souls games aren't really as long as you think, especially if the person editing the videos is cutting the majority of the salty runbacks.

Edit: Basically what I'm trying to say is Liam doing Demon's Souls would probably be shorter than some of their action game LPs, and Pat playing DS1 would probably not be too much longer. Bloodborne only took as long as it did because it was a double-blind LP without many cuts in editing.

Edzi

This isn't true at all. The length of the souls games can work just fine for an LP, it just depends on the LPer. Bloodborne in particular is really short.

aly

Yeah, but then you would only get Dark Souls with the way Plague feels about the other ones :D. Haven't watched the finale yet, but glad they put it out over the weekend.

Ugh I'm so far behind on videos. This week might be the week I do it tho. Is the BB LP worth it? DS2 got to be a chore towards the end and the one video of Bloodborne I saw was...pretty uneventful.

Ugh I'm so far behind on videos. This week might be the week I do it tho. Is the BB LP worth it? DS2 got to be a chore towards the end and the one video of Bloodborne I saw was...pretty uneventful.

There are two schools of thought about the Bloodborne LP...

(I liked it, though. There are a few slow points around the time they hit the forest, but you can skip those episodes entirely if you watch the Snailborne video. The forbidden woods aren't that interesting, anyway.)

Now hold on, that could still be Grandma Swamp.

If you thought DS2 was a chore, skip the Bloodborne LP. Watch the finale though, they're drunk as fuck and that's great.

Also from the description.

"No one bothered Woolie enough on his twitter for "Week of Woolie" so we have to come up with something else!"

So obviously we need to bother woolie more.

McDougles

Well, Best Friends had done it,
Patsworth had won it,
With Carrion Crows barking all the while,
Alfred's manic illness made us smile,
While Eileen laid unconscious near the Cathedral wall.

We're talkin' Saltbourne,
From Yarnham to Nightmare of Mensis,
Talkin' Saltbourne,
Iosefka and Spider Patches,
Ebrietas' grotesquely swollen jaw,
Annalise and her run-in with religious law,
It's Pat and Woolie,
Gehrman and the doll.

Nordicus

Kinda wish Plague gave Witcher 3 a shot. W1 he loathed, 2 he played for a few hours. Third time's the charm
j0ERJ67.png

What an amazing end to the Bloodborne LP with a Boss fight among a field of flowers to the backdrop of a burning building. I didn't think too much about it but Pat's right in that the TRUE secret final boss clashes with the imagery of a Hunters' duel. This LP has it's highs and lows, fast and slow, hype and flaccid, just as any good thing should and because of that we have new memes created to put into the SBF lore.

I'm really looking forward to the Bloodborne Expansion a couple of months later. In the mean time I should prepare some new specialized characters for it myself.

Were those...Lilac's hair tendrils with bloody stumps on that rack beside her? Jesus fuck Freedom Planet why u so dark??

Guess she's like an iguana but still eww

Were those...Lilac's hair tendrils with bloody stumps on that rack beside her? Jesus fuck Freedom Planet why u so dark??

Guess she's like an iguana but still eww

Oh wow I hadn't noticed. Yep that would appear to be the case.

I had sort of been hoping for her to have a scarred look, that would have been pretty cool after getting a direct laser blast like that.

MrHoot

Really cool end of the Bloodborne thing, finally came to an end !

Although not against the drunkiness, guys please avoid belching into the mic if you please, it makes me sick whenever I hear someone do it :<

Also love the Freedom Planet LP. This game was made for runnin' and gunnin'

My favourite "your drunk!" Moment was when Patsworth almost swung his axe into the doll lol.

He wanted to Make Contact, but for a moment he was afflicted with Woolie's depth perception. Needed to be a few steps closer, there.

As far as belching goes, belching when you've just finished drinking a can of beer is as certain as Dio trying to kill you before sunrise! There's simply no avoiding it.

MrHoot

He wanted to Make Contact, but for a moment he was afflicted with Woolie's depth perception. Needed to be a few steps closer, there.

As far as belching goes, belching when you've just finished drinking a can of beer is as certain as Dio trying to kill you before sunrise! There's simply no avoiding it.

I knoooow, it just triggers a reaction in my hooty hole, it ain't good

I loved the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" moment when he almost killed the doll, would've loved the actual reaction if he slashed her off

Skrams

Bloodborne Part 51- Yep, Bloodstarved, ok. They did well enough against the boss too. Also good that they understood the flesh thing as well.

Bloodborne Part 52- Glad they did MB even if Pat had to look it up like a cheater. They still can't tell what his timing is for parries too. How? Just how? It's just doing it during attacks. What's to not get? Is there some other magical thing about parrying I misinterpret for this game, but utterly confuses them? Just stuff your face in everyone's bosom and shoot when attacks happen. Woolie also states my problem I've had with death forever. I don't want to die because I'm going to miss all the cool video games and stuff.

Glad they left in a good majority of the final bit. It's a good descent into madness or drunkness. I also love the idea of Pat rubbing a beer on Woolie's mouth.

Also yes Pat, you're right. All bosses are really easy if you parry them. At least for hunter bosses. You have 20 bullets. You can just be an asshole and shoot them any time they attack. It's even better since you can tank a hit and still get them if you're a little late.

Also super enjoyed the sort of post mortem. We should really get those more often. All of my shit comments were out love too. Or some were at least.

I also don't think enemy placements change in Bloodborne for NG+? I'll probably do the expansion with my first character because fuck it.

Demons still da best though.

I haven't seen their Deadly Premonition playthrough, probably because Supergreatfriend, has one that is superior to most of any Let's play in existence. The game was a cult thing before i even knew that Sw1tcher came back to youtube.

Yeah, DP was 101% cult status from the get go because of Jim Sterling's 10/10 Dtoid review. It only grew due to Giantbomb's ER and other shenanigans. Matt and Pat got to it super late considering they played the Director's Cut port on PS3.

I also don't think enemy placements change in Bloodborne for NG+? I'll probably do the expansion with my first character because fuck it.

They don't. The enemy scaling also isn't as aggressive as it seems from the enemies in the starting area. To be honest, I think the enemies in Central Yharnam on NG+ are about as strong as the enemies in the Nightmare areas; I'm not sure the enemies in Nightmare of Mensis even gain a significant amount of health or damage in NG+.

I did the NG++ route to get all three endings rather than save scumming it, and I did the NG++ playthrough in a couple of hours. Definitely wasn't feeling like the enemies were scaling much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom