• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god, that limp explosion. I was going to complain that "Danger: Explosive" is a pretty dumb thing to put on a nuclear weapon, but if it just kind of farts out a little cloud of fire I guess it makes sense after all.

Skrams

That ended not with a bang, but more akin to a wet fart while eating that fifth slice of pizza that you know you don't need. You ate it anyway though you filthy animal.

And after that hour long discussion on training stage I just want 15 variants of training stage. Tennis has a fuckload of colors, so why can't I have a good blue training stage as well as some other less eye offending shades of colors.

I don't think I've ever heard Pat be as wrong as he was about the training stage thing, as he ever been wrong about anything before. And I haven't even finished the podcast yet.

Numb

Glad the ride is over. Means i won't be expecting Plague to show up at the start of each vid cos of how similar the intro music is to the Plague intro music in Indonisianbob's animated Sonic vid.

Skrams

Also, I completely don't get why Woolie is fine with going with the horrible light show blanka, but a dinosaur is a no go.

What's up with all the Dangan Ronpa stuff this podcast? Did Woolie start playing the game?

Well the outro music is DR music and I remember Woolie making a reference to a DR court case with how Liam handled the camera at one point.

I wouldn't be surprised since he might just go on to say oh yeah, I finished DR1 in a week or something. Either it slipped his mind this podcast or he's just doing the same thing he did with Persona 3 where he just didn't mention it for the whole time he was playing it.

Pat had a poor argument but it's an understandable one. Woolie's argument broke down all to hell by the end of it though. "It's a tournament anyone can come in on" well yes Woolie that's technically true, but just like sports it's the people who train that get anywhere. Also the whole "it's for the players" thing is such horseshit now. Maybe back in the day, but it's totally a spectacle.

I don't think I've ever heard Pat be as wrong as he was about the training stage thing, as he ever been wrong about anything before. And I haven't even finished the podcast yet.

Actually, Woolie's completely full of shit.

1. Training Stage is not chosen because backgrounds interfere with recognizing character model boundaries. First of all, you can choose costumes and colors that have close chromatic patterns to the Training Stage background on several characters. Second, you can choose costumes that actually change the silhouette of the character, which is the important part for players to visually "read" what's going on.

2. EVO is not "completely for the players". The event is now largely sponsored, both by platform holders (Sony, Capcom, etc.) and by secondary advertisers (MadCatz, Hitbox, etc.), and furthermore by tertiary player sponsors (Evil Geniuses, Team Liquid, etc.). Player individual buy-in is no longer the only component in the tournament, or even the primary component for Ultra Street Fighter IV in particular.

3. Player comfort isn't and never has been the primary concern of the tournament organization. If it were, players would play in private rooms without an audience and the audience would simply watch on a closed-circuit feed of the game from another room. EVO is very much about the audience and spectacle. EVO is a public event.

Pat's not entirely correct, either, though really Matt's the closest of the bunch: any player who's trying to play at EVO of all places who says they need to be on Training Stage to perform
sexually
needs to get the fuck good. That's like someone claiming to be a professional artist saying they only work on graph paper.

Agreed with Woolie being full of shit. At a ton of tournaments training stage is barely even played, in last year's EVO I did not see it more than once or twice. Nobody that matters would care if it got banned.

Woolie using that Blanka costume is SO much worse than not being on training stage, I'd rather play on Dino Crisis than play against that costume.

Yeah, I agree that the alt costumes are way more distracting than the things in the background of the stages. Most of the time I don't even notice the stage I/m watching/playing on since I'm focused on the characters.

What's up with all the Dangan Ronpa stuff this podcast? Did Woolie start playing the game?

I hope so. Danganronpa is a cool series that I'm sure Woolie would love.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man. This is the first podcast where I've had just zero motivation to get around to listening to it. I don't think I can handle an hour of debate over training stages in fighters.

Actually start listening to the podcast and once they get to the topic of EVO stop listening, from that point until the end it's all fighting games except like 2 emails.

Numb

I wanted it to be all about EVO/fite games on the other hand.
Can't say i got hyped after remembering they went to SGC this week and the entire podcast wasn't gonna be EVO talk. It did turn out to be cool still.

Woolie VS Reboot (Part 1)
Youtube

latest

Yeah yeah yeah! This is what we've all been waiting for.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's sad if they had a giant argument about training stage when there were so many more groundbreaking and/or potentially controversial topics this EVO.

It's sad if they had a giant argument about training stage when there were so many more groundbreaking and/or potentially controversial topics this EVO.

Was a huge bummer that they decided to not talk about SFIV top 8 at all just because Matt and Woolie haven't seen all of it, like christ guys. Infiltration vs Momochi, Marvel 3 gods getting wrecked, Rico Suave in KI, etc. For guys that love fighting games they sure didn't talk very in depth about them.

Numb

Was a huge bummer that they decided to not talk about SFIV top 8 at all just because Matt and Woolie haven't seen all of it, like christ guys. Infiltration vs Momochi, Marvel 3 gods getting wrecked, Rico Suave in KI, etc. For guys that love fighting games they sure didn't talk very in depth about them.

Hope they talk about them next week after everybody watches the archives.
This EVO was super hype and needs some discussion.

Hope they talk about them next week after everybody watches the archives.
This EVO was super hype and needs some discussion.
I hope they do too but let's be honest they're probably going to forget about it and not talk about it at all. Wish we could've gotten a dedicated EVO podcast after they've all watched what they wanted to watch.

Numb

I hope they do too but let's be honest they're probably going to forget about it and not talk about it at all. Wish we could've gotten a dedicated EVO podcast after they've all watched what they wanted to watch.
Might be old news by then and they got other stuff coming up.
I know Woolie said that time dedicated to fighting games is required for them to go to EVO but they don't got that time these days. It would be really cool if they went to EVO next year and treated it like an event much like all the other times they go to cons and whatnot and make a vid. They don't exactly have to compete to go to EVO or not go at all.
I have only the faintest memory of Reboot and I'm loving every second of this pure woolie torture.
I foresee him getting more and more drunk as the vid goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom