• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anung

Un Rama
FUCK YOU
PAARL AND YOUR STUPID ELECTIRC BONEY ASS GOD FUCKING SHIT DAMMIT!!!

This shit took me so many attempts. The amount of times I got him down to a drop of health and he got lucky was fucking infuriating. Think of it this way though when you beat him your gonna be OP.

Did you get to the part where he says he's a huge Gundam fan and his son calls him the Gundam Otaku?

Its a great game. My third favorite of the Xeno games behind Saga 3 and Gears, but still one of the best JRPGs of the generation.

I'll have to look into it, I've found myself just staring at my copy of FF3 these past few days.

Anung

Un Rama
I stoped playing BB a bit earlier because I was just lost and have no idea where to go now.

I am in old yharnam still, and I've killed machine gun guy and the normal hunter, but now I have no idea where to go. The chapel leads to a dead end, and I found the house with the charred hunters gear and the gun spear, but I have no idea where to go now.

There is a loop-around if you go past the machine gun guy, go under his building and open a gate, ignore that and go further down and there are wolfs, another shortcut to the old yharnam bombfire and a boss door.

Village

So nerdy.
Where the pics at tho?

Dicking around with lines

6lAKd1a.jpg

Have you tried going through the
Forbidden Forest
? Have you beaten
the three shades
?
I went through
the forest to the witch haven and killed the witch there.
I thought I had explored everything that there was in that area. And I don't know or recall what
the three shades
are.

I only have so much time due to classes and shit to play this game, and trying to get through areas quickly and not waste time is starting to bite me in the ass.

Being able to
heal with visceral attacks is great

I went through
the forest to the witch haven and killed the witch there.
I thought I had explored everything that there was in that area. And I don't know or recall what
the three shades
are.
I only have so much time due to classes and shit to play this game, and trying to get through areas quickly and not waste time is starting to bite me in the ass.

Return to the round graveyard area outside of Amelia's cathedral, there's a large man in front of a hallway. Follow it through and you'll come to a door that opens with a password. This leads to the next area: the Forbidden Forest

sjay1994

There is a loop-around if you go past the machine gun guy, go under his building and open a gate, ignore that and go further down and there are wolfs, another shortcut to the old yharnam bombfire and a boss door.

You are talking about the chapel where all the enemies who poison you on hit are right? I cleared it out and walked through the gate, but I was only able to see a short cut that takes me back to the front of machine gun guys building, and a dead end with crows. I see where I think I am supposed to go, but I have no idea how to get there

Also, I should probably grind a bit more, people advise to be at least level 36, when you get to the third boss, and I am only lvl 30

Anung

Un Rama
You are talking about the chapel where all the enemies who poison you on hit are right? I cleared it out and walked through the gate, but I was only able to see a short cut that takes me back to the front of machine gun guys building, and a dead end with crows. I see where I think I am supposed to go, but I have no idea how to get there

Also, I should probably grind a bit more, people advise to be at least level 36, when you get to the third boss, and I am only lvl 30

To the right of that short cut ladder is a corridor that takes down even further

sjay1994

To the right of that short cut ladder is a corridor that takes down even further

I'll check it out tomorrow. I am pretty tired, and I doubt I will be able to play the game properly like this. I make dumb mistakes or stop paying attention to my health and stamina when I am tired.

HOLY FUCK

Explains a lot about the development of Xenosaga 1 and why its feels so unpolished. Music just not playing in certain areas (and only 1 battle theme), CG in some move animations, long repetitive dungeons. A lot of it just makes so much more sense after that interview.

His X-Y axis analogy when it comes to story vs gameplay is really good too.

Explains a lot about the development of Xenosaga 1 and why its feels so unpolished. Music just not playing in certain areas (and only 1 battle theme), CG in some move animations, long repetitive dungeons. A lot of it just makes so much more sense after that interview.

His X-Y axis analogy when it comes to story vs gameplay is really good too.
6 months is fucking nothing, that's insane.

I like the Story/Gameplay X/Y axis analogy, but it's grossly simplified (for obvious reasons). I don't think there's as much of a perfect balance, as there should be a goal in terms of "flow" you want to shoot for and hit in the planning stages.

6 months is fucking nothing, that's insane.

I like the Story/Gameplay X/Y axis analogy, but it's grossly simplified (for obvious reasons). I don't think there's as much of a perfect balance, as there should be a goal in terms of "flow" you want to shoot for and hit in the planning stages.

It is a simplification (obviously as he can't go into much detail in a more laid back article), but the X/Y axis definitely shows in a lot of his games. Final Fantasy since 3 has been trending towards a more of a focus on story which peaked towards 6. He wanted to achieve the balance between the two with Xenogears, but almost ironically, all those development cuts forced him towards a more story approach for that game, sacrificing a lot in the gameplay department towards disc 2 and losing that balance. Then when he got to Xenosaga he got stuck with game dev rookies that weren't really good at programming, so likewise he had to take a much more story focused approach and rip a lot of gameplay elements from Xenogears. It wasn't really until Xenosaga 3 where him and the team hit their stride and made one of the best paced JRPGs ever between Story/Gameplay. And that same trend shows in something like Xenoblade which has less emphasis towards building an overly complex story and maintains a good balance between the two.

Its such a fascinating analogy that really explains a lot for the direction he took behind each of the games and how it felt like he couldn't make the perfect game he wanted until Xenoblade.

Alfebit

Banned
I stoped playing BB a bit earlier because I was just lost and have no idea where to go now.

I am in old yharnam still, and I've killed machine gun guy and the normal hunter, but now I have no idea where to go. The chapel leads to a dead end, and I found the house with the charred hunters gear and the gun spear, but I have no idea where to go now.

I got stuck in the same place. I noticed others have already answered you but I just want to say how stupid I felt when I finally noticed the pathway. It's such a stupidly large archway that I have no idea how I missed it. I must be blind as fuck.

It is a simplification (obviously as he can't go into much detail in a more laid back article), but the X/Y axis definitely shows in a lot of his games. Final Fantasy since 3 has been trending towards a more of a focus on story which peaked towards 6. He wanted to achieve the balance between the two with Xenogears, but almost ironically, all those development cuts forced him towards a more story approach for that game, sacrificing a lot in the gameplay department towards disc 2 and losing that balance. Then when he got to Xenosaga he got stuck with game dev rookies that weren't really good at programming, so likewise he had to take a much more story focused approach and rip a lot of gameplay elements from Xenogears. It wasn't really until Xenosaga 3 where him and the team hit their stride and made one of the best paced JRPGs ever between Story/Gameplay. And that same trend shows in something like Xenoblade which has less emphasis towards building an overly complex story and maintains a good balance between the two.

Its such a fascinating analogy that really explains a lot for the direction he took behind each of the games and how it felt like he couldn't make the perfect game he wanted until Xenoblade.
Avoiding the pitfalls of JRPGs that lean towards excessive amount of story is a really good lesson. I'd get more in depth in your examples
but I've never played(/gotten far in) a Xeno game don't kill me pls

I'm sorta biased myself since my favorite RPGs are easily ones that have a gameplay focus like Nocturne, but the harmony of both elements is obviously the goal you want to shoot for.
I must be blind as fuck.
I have felt this feel very often lately.

sjay1994

I got stuck in the same place. I noticed others have already answered you but I just want to say how stupid I felt when I finally noticed the pathway. It's such a stupidly large archway that I have no idea how I missed it. I must be blind as fuck.

I am also probably blind.

I'm guessing this is the path to
vicer amelia

Ants

Any fans of the early Final Fantasy, and Xenogears/saga/blade, or just overall game philosophy/design really need to read this Iwata asks between Iwata and Takahashi.

gonna hijack this juuust a little bit to point to something of tangential interest i like to pimp at any opportunity

The Reverse Design series is the shit. In particular I recommend their Chrono Trigger series. Anyone interested in the invisible guiding hand of game design, RPG balance, or the merging of story and gameplay should read that one.

Avoiding the pitfalls of JRPGs that lean towards excessive amount of story is a really good lesson. I'd get more in depth in your examples
but I've never played(/gotten far in) a Xeno game don't kill me pls

I'm sorta biased myself since my favorite RPGs are easily ones that have a gameplay focus like Nocturne, but the harmony of both elements is obviously the goal you want to shoot for.

I think if you do one element extremely well, then its more ok to have an excuse to lack on the other side of things. Games like SMT and Pokemon don't need to have a large focus on story, because of how addicting and great its gameplay is.

None of the Xeno games have mind blowing combat, but they tell excellent stories but (most) are well paced enough to not bore you with its dialogue.

And if I killed everyone who hasn't played a Xeno game, probably 70% of GAF would be dead.

gonna hijack this juuust a little bit to point to something of tangential interest i like to pimp at any opportunity

The Reverse Design series is the shit. In particular I recommend their Chrono Trigger series. Anyone interested in the invisible guiding hand of game design, RPG balance, or the merging of story and gameplay should read that one.

Gonna bookmark this. As a potential game designer/coder I'd definitely need to take a look at these.

I had a similar thing happen to me in the
Lecture Hall
Hahaha,
and man I'm jealous of your health bar

My damage output is doing pretty well for me, I've been dumping into health for a while now.

Also apparently that is a PVP zone, I got invaded again in that same spot after going the last two days not encountering anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom