• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One, it isn't a decent boss. Mainly because the quality of the bosses in previous bosses can't really be used as a comparison anymore due to the vastly, vastly different style of Bloodborne. Counting the amount of playthroughs I've done of souls game, I'd very likely reach a dozen, yet I judge the bosses on their own merit in this one. Two, it's actually not even representative of the quality of Bloodborne's bosses as it had been by far the worst boss so far.

If we're talking about only this game and not in comparison to other souls bosses then I still think its a decent fight. Its the boss that teaches you and rewards you to go in with the more aggressive mindset and for taking advantage of the regain system. Its hurt by a bad camera, but its not a bad boss fight itself, though if you want to consider it bad compare to the later bosses then I completely agree with you.

And I never said it was representative of the later bosses in the game, I said it dictates the trend that the bosses are going to take. For anyone with experience with the series, souls first bosses are usually known for being straight bad, so you know that (most of the time) it could only be up from there. But obviously we're in disagreement of the CB being a decent or a bad boss so it doesn't really matter what I say.

Also, even though BB has a different playstyle, its still a souls game through and through and trying to convince anyone it isn't is borderline insane. I understand what you're saying since bosses in this game function much differently than they have in comparison to any of the souls games, but its not like this is a different genre. Comparisons can still be made between older souls games and this, especially when its more through the mind of the designer and the trends in his previous games than the actual content.

Oberon

Banned
Nice
NICEE

I wasn't really nice of them

I'm sad due to the lack of sharpshooter perk in the early access. ;_;

Same.
Do you have more details of their conversation? Sounds really interesting. Like do
they use one or two fingers, tampon, pads or something else? So they talked about periods i assume?

They didn't talk about period at all. I guess the tamest thing I could share is that, as a boyfriend, you should pay for half of the birth control pills. Which is fair enough I suppose.

2 week Easter break officially starts today!

Mine start next thursday ;__;

Oh yeah, it definitely is still a Souls game. It's just that the game puts a focus on fast-paced fights, speed and extreme aggression like no other Souls game before it. What I mean isn't that you can't compare it to Souls games (I even do that in my post), it's that when it comes to bosses, a simple, direct comparison can't be made so easily as with the previous three souls game due to an entirely different style and focus. You merely need to keep those in mind when making comparisons.

That I can agree with. Comparisons between the two games bosses can't really easily be made, especially when I've only fought four of them and they've been worlds different in quality and style compared to DeS vs DS1 vs DS2.

Personally despite everything, all the items and mechanics that are just renamed versions of the same thing and elements that are remixed from Demon's Dark and even Dark2, I finding it hard to say it's a Souls game.

I guess the differences are just extremely pronounced to me, but all those mechanics that are shared are totally comparable.

But anyway, game's great. I died
and woke up in some weird place. I left since enemies there kill me in two hits.
You made the right choice, you can go back from the
third gravestone, so it's something meant for later.

Also FYI the
Cleric Beast
had several lock on points, the lower one was the best one for staying locked on while you fight.
The difference between Bloodborne and Dark Souls is that the torch is useful
Hey-ooo

Yeah, I assumed as much. Those
enemies carrying bags killed me in two hits and those old hags that grab you can insta-kill me. It definitely didn't seem like the right place to be.
The
hags
scared me so bad,
I walked through the door towards that area's boss and one jumped from out of sight where I had the camera so they it's face exploded out of nowhere when it grabbed me.
I think I might've almost dropped my controller.

Yeah, I assumed as much. Those
enemies carrying bags killed me in two hits and seemingly can't be countered and those old hags that grab you can insta-kill me. It definitely didn't seem like the right place to be.

You can counter one of their lunges after they power up. It's a lunge where they hold up their right hand, I think. I've killed a handful like that

Just got to Byrgenworth in bloodborne.

THIS PLACE IS FUCKED FUCK THIS PLACE OH GOD CTHULLU IS RIGHT FUCKING THERE!

It's so fucking hype. The environments designs in this game are fantastic
I KNOW! The exact same thing happened to me.
I saw one run past the area to the other side, so I went in looking that way and got grabbed by one standing right next to the door. Scared the shit out of me.

By the way, those bag guys can't be countered, right? I've been trying and have hit the charge up of almost every move I've seen them do. Nothing has worked so far.

I think they can e but I don't know what move. I almost never use the counter mechanic, I either rush in for the stun lock or jump in and poke

By the way, those bag guys can't be countered, right? I've been trying and have hit the charge up of almost every move I've seen them do. Nothing has worked so far.
That's hilarious. And I think I pulled it off once, but to be honest running Pimp cane I just bait attacks and whip em into shape.

Edit: Glass has your answer nevermind lol

360pages

Personally despite everything, all the items and mechanics that are just renamed versions of the same thing and elements that are remixed from Demon's Dark and even Dark2, I finding it hard to say it's a Souls game.

I guess the differences are just extremely pronounced to me, but all those mechanics that are shared are totally comparable.

It's probably due to it being faster paced.

Also, even though BB has a different playstyle, its still a souls game through and through and trying to convince anyone it isn't is borderline insane.
I still stand by that it isn't a Souls game, other wise this:

Shadow_Tower_Abyss.jpg

would be considered a King's Field game. Which it is fucking not.

I usually just skipped on getting every piece of equipment and saved up for early game. I've run into very few RPGs where you actually always have to have the best piece of equipment to survive.
I generally buy just a few peices of equipment, but if I'm not scared of the protag dying or whatever then I can skip till the second ''tier' of equipment I try to. P3 I bought my protag new equipment every time.

Ants

So for anyone who took a look at that Reverse Design thing (and anyone else, really), I was thinking of starting my own LP serieseses with a similar premise, where I play through a game and point out the invisible guiding hand of the game designers, and the ways they direct you that you may not notice. I always find it really interesting when 2BF does so, even if I have often heard of those techniques before (light sources draw you in, players don't look up), but I wonder if I'm alone in that. Do you guys think there'd be an audience for that sort of thing?

I'll probably give it a shot soon regardless of replies here, but I wanted to gauge interest.

So for anyone who took a look at that Reverse Design thing (and anyone else, really), I was thinking of starting my own LP serieseses with a similar premise, where I play through a game and point out the invisible guiding hand of the game designers, and the ways they direct you that you may not notice. I always find it really interesting when 2BF does so, even if I have often heard of those techniques before (light sources draw you in, players don't look up), but I wonder if I'm alone in that. Do you guys think there'd be an audience for that sort of thing?

I'll probably give it a shot soon regardless of replies here, but I wanted to gauge interest.
So it would be like the commentary in most Valve games? I'd be into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom