• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've just got to stop caring about companies.

I'm going to tell you a secret: most jobs in the gaming industry are basically contractor work, whether they list them that way for tax purposes or not. Most of the people who made your favorite games probably no longer work for the companies that made them, despite those people having the will to do so, and the company continuing to exist and make games, quite possibly even games those people would have been helpful in making (and/or sequels to those games). This may be most extreme when viewed at a company like Blizzard, but it's true across most of the industry.

So, what I'm saying is: stop giving a shit about companies.

Buy a console because it is a logical value proposition, not out of some misplaced brand loyalty to the company that made the console, or the company that releases games onto that console (exclusive or otherwise). Play the games for that console that are interesting and well-regarded games, regardless of the company that made them or their apparent (superficial) pedigree based on whatever single name out of the hundreds or thousands who actually worked on the project they chose to (mis)represent the product as having a particular lineage that it almost certainly does not.

The console wars circle-jerk is of no consequence to anyone inside the actual industry. Among the people I work with, most of them have, at one time or another, worked for Microsoft in some capacity. Most of them have worked for Sony in some capacity, often including at first-party studios. Many of them have worked for Nintendo (albeit admittedly mostly back during the golden days). Hell, a lot of them have worked for Wizards of the Coast. The divisions really just don't exist within the actual industry, and no one who makes games is going to blame you for doing what makes the most sense to you as a consumer. None of us ask for "loyalty", that comes from financiers in the publishing arm.

Of course, you could also just go PC-first and play mostly indie games, maybe cool your heels on consoles entirely for a decade or so. You won't actually miss that much.

I appreciate the sentiment.

Having knowledge that the industry doesn't expect loyalties is nice to know.

It's part of the reason I want to slow down and nearly give it up, but bigger reasons have to do with other hobbies that I want to try that demand more time and money. That's really about it.

Things like: learning to play an instrument proper( I tried learning guitar and my long ass fingers aren't meant for making chords; maybe piano would be better) or what I listed previously above.

I think a Short break would be good for me and great for my interest in gaming for the future.

360pages

We're speeding up again.

Also tomorrow I'll see if I've been picked for the writing week. I didn't review much this week (Reviewed a lot at the start and left a few as the stories went on and what not) So I'll just wait it out before going full out again.

JoJo94

Man this just reminds me of hobby of watching pro wrestling. When I was a kid, it was the best thing in the world. Teens, it was again with the NWO and Attitude Era. It started going bad...like really bad. That's when I discovered the Indy scene and fell in love again....until that scene revealed how insane, depressing, shitty, disgusting and vile the whole world of pro wrestling is. I don't watch as much but I keep up with what I like and I prefer it that way. It's better to ease up and indulge in what you like and ignore the crap you don't like.

Easing up is the plan right now. I said giving it up entirely because of how I've felt for years. Trust, this wasn't an overnight decision or thought.

I know what you mean and I was just trying to describe my feelings on the subject, not try question you or your plans. I plan on travelling as well and barring some cataclysmic events I'm going to Japan sometime next year. I don't know what I truly want to do or where I belong but games are a constant factor that I can always lean on, as depressing as that probably sounds

Sounds like doing some soul-searching about how you want to shape your life is good. We all need that.

Yeah I used my movie announcer voice for that which is pretty close to my real voice anyway
Ahh thanks man/now I feel incredibly awkward
You should hear how high my voice can get that scares the crap out of people.

JoJoniichan stop! You're ruining my image of you! You can't be our younger brother when you make us all sound like girls!

JoJo94

JoJoniichan stop! You're ruining my image of you! You can't be our younger brother when you make us all sound like girls!

Well now that you guys know what my voice sounds like that probably makes all of my post sound weirder...or more erotic depending on the person...

enjoy the sultry tones of my voice.

Young brother with a deep voice. It could work..

JoJo confirmed for official BestGAF announcer.

I want to push you for summerslam.

Is my voice a thing now?

Yeah I used my movie announcer voice for that which is pretty close to my real voice anyway

Ahh thanks man/now I feel incredibly awkward

You should hear how high my voice can get that scares the crap out of people.

No... Don't ruin my image of you as Big Boss, because with that voice, you should be doing some amazing VO work.

Unless your high pitched voice is just as godly too.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Face it, he's Kamina.
Kamina_sunglasses.jpg
And he's gonna make a man out of all the frienders.

JoJo94

No... Don't ruin my image of you as Big Boss, because with that voice, you should be doing some amazing VO work.

Unless your high pitched voice is just as godly too.

That's something I do have an interest in honestly.

Face it, he's Kamina.

...oh I can't handle all these compliments

I hope you're prepared to do announcing for Friender Night Fisticuffs.
Lol

Oh...maybe...

Face it, he's Kamina.

You do realize this also means Jojoneechan is gonna have to die now, right?

Anyway, I've not listened to either version, but I'll remain confident in my voice and that I am one of the better sounding frienders and leave it at that.

Zenfalcia

The one duplicate file/two versions one is Zenfalcia.
Sorry to call you out?

Oh yeah.. Damn.. I should've named them better. Like have my name attached.. I think he's talking about wanting to include aaron without the amazing singing of the first recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom