• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole Bayonetta stuff is just weird to me. I just see her as a female
god rest his soul
Dante. She's a campy as fuck action game hero.

Eh, Polygon being Polygon and Anita Sarkeesian being Anita Sarkeesian.

I just passed my G2 driving test. Hell yeah!

peter-parker-dance.gif

Why you stealing my dance bro?

Congradurations! What's a G2 Driving test?

360pages

Once again Kamiya is laughing at this entire situation. It's silly it pretty much makes me tone it all out. At this point I'll just keep playing the games that I enjoy.

She isn't reviewing games a la Polygon or IGN. Her power is insomuch as a feminist critique, if there is power there. Reportedly she's made some impact in Western development, but I'm not sure whether it's posturing by the devs or honest influence.

She's not a critic of the game more of the content of the game? If that makes any sense. She doesn't play video games and is more of a figure head for feminism in video games touching on what she/people she works with deems inappropriate.

That can't be true. Like she has to read a character synopsis or something about the game. I can't fathom taking a strong stance against something that you barely even know about. What if Bayo was an incredibly well written character (not saying she is) and she just didn't know that before stating her opinions?

What about the actual game itself? How can you be mad at game reviewers when they're reviewing the game and not strictly the character?

Youtube loads fine, but I understand the desire to support the guys by watching the video on the website.

Congratulations!!!

No seriously congrats bud!!!

Why you stealing my dance bro?

Congradurations! What's a G2 Driving test?

How many people drive in the land of Canadia?

Thanks, guys. Man, this a huge load off my back. I was afraid I was going to fail.

Oh, in Not-America we have three stages for drivers license. G1 which is the written test, G2 which is the driving test, and G which is driving on the highway. Still, a having a G2 basically makes you a licensed driver, so I can drive around by myself now.

Once again Kamiya is laughing at this entire situation. It's silly it pretty much makes me tone it all out. At this point I'll just keep playing the games that I enjoy.

7wv32Ww.gif

That can't be true. Like she has to read a character synopsis or something about the game. I can't fathom taking a strong stance against something that you barely even know about. What if Bayo was an incredibly well written character (not saying she is) and she just didn't know that before stating her opinions?

What about the actual game itself? How can you be mad at game reviewers when they're reviewing the game and not strictly the character?

That's very easy.

Anita caters to a certain audience. Word of Mouth indicates self-identifying Feminists love what Bayo is and like playing as her, aside from the silly camera angles.

At this point, if she's upset I don't see why.

Thanks, guys. Man, this a huge load off my back. I was afraid I was going to fail.

Oh, in Not-America we have three stages for drivers license. G1 which is the written test, G2 which is the driving test, and G which is driving on the highway. Still, a having a G2 basically makes you a licensed driver, so I can drive around by myself now.

Cool. Don't DROP THOSE PIZZAS!

I'm reviving this Matt joke

Zenfalcia

Oh, it can be done. She even stated she doesn't play video games. I don't know if she also has an interest in them either. Regardless if she is well written or not, if she looks sexy I'm sure they'd ignore the great character and just talk about how she looks. This is what I assume.

Different expectations when reading the review compared to an opinion of the game?

Oberon

Banned
Only 1/3 of us drive. The rest use dog sleds. Oh, and we don't drive cars, we drive Zambonis.

Conglaturation man!

I'll probably never do a license test myself.
For one it's bloody expensive, and I am kinda scared of driving.
The world would be much saver if we all had mechs.

My quest to find my copy of Mega Man X Collections is still going on. At least I found my copy of Pokemon Blue.

I thought people in canadia just wrangle and rode on mooses?

Nah, Mooses are way to expensive both short and long term. Only the The Mounties and rich folk use them.

Conglaturation man!

I'll probably never do a license test myself.
For one it's bloody expensive, and I am kinda scared of driving.
The world would be much saver if we all had mechs.

Thanks! I wasn't keen on getting a drivers license at first, but I'm glad I did it. It's going to make life a lot easier. I also agree about the mechs. Japan needs to hurry up with that shit.

360pages

I just want writing month to hurry up and come by, I'll lose my confidence if I don't write soon. Plus I heard they give you two print copies of the story you write, so that's always nice to show off and show people.

Oh, it can be done. She even stated she doesn't play video games. I don't know if she also has an interest in them either. Regardless if she is well written or not, if she looks sexy I'm sure they'd ignore the great character and just talk about how she looks. This is what I assume.

Different expectations when reading the review compared to an opinion of the game?

The thing that is clear in Anita's videos is that she is sex negative. To her, women that are sexy,such as Bayonetta, are only portrayed that way to appeal to male gaze. Some women are certainly portrayed that way. Hell that explains the success of the Dead or Alive franchise. But saying all sexy characters are created with the same intent is a generalization.

I guess, though I have no intention of ever watching her video if she's just stating opinions without having any evidence to back it up. That's the kind of thing I grew up on and colleges would fail me for if I didn't do it.

360pages

I guess, though I have no intention of ever watching her video if she's just stating opinions without having any evidence to back it up. That's the kind of thing I grew up on and colleges would fail me for if I didn't do it.

That's how I feel, do your research before you state something. If you're not willing to do so, then expect to be ignored.

Zenfalcia

They have wings and shit, at least the mechs I'd control.

So like some gundam mechs?

You have to do a license of coure, to learn how to not fall over.

Yes, of course. Depends on what mechs everyone is talking about too. Whether it's bipedal or humanoid in appearance. etc.

Mechs can pick themselves up. When a car flips over, can they un-flip themselves. There just like a turtle.

Yes, they do.

It's a good thing the single player content is good in Ultimax because a significant losing streak just takes the wind out of my sails.

That just gives me more motivation to get back to training and learn the matchups better and refine my combos. Always get better or just give up.

But the single player content is fucking awesome

They're nerfed to shit in DS2 anyway from my experience. They hit you once, then hop out of the ground and stop their rolling.

In DS1 they go full durst, almost attach to your character model on collision and the hits keep on piling up

Well, we do have Sonic the Hedgehog doing his little spindash now in the Ivory King DLC. :p They're similarly annoying.

Xux

She has plenty of evidence in her videos. Between the format and the content in them, they're probably some of the least opinionated videos about games.

Zenfalcia

The thing that is clear in Anita's videos is that she is sex negative. To her, women that are sexy,such as Bayonetta, are only portrayed that way to appeal to male gaze. Some women are certainly portrayed that way. Hell that explains the success of the Dead or Alive franchise. But saying all sexy characters are created with the same intent is a generalization.

I haven't watched any of her videos and done plan to. There seems to be a lot of generalization across all games.

Same here. I know some facts about her, so I could find the evidence i've read to back it up.

360pages

I do think the entire thing is getting too much attention honestly. We have critics like this in movies and books, hell even Anime. It really doesn't stop them from making the products or content they always have

I don't think Kamiya is going to look at the review and throw himself out of the window. It really does show how small gamers egos are when this can upset them so much. When honestly, if they ignored it, it wouldn't have gotten this big in the first place.

She has plenty of evidence in her videos. Between the format and the content in them, they're probably some of the least opinionated videos about games.

Even though there are plenty of reasons why I'd never watch her videos, mostly because I'll watch reruns of TBF or giant bomb way before I'd watch an Anita video. I just feel like talking about a game character outside the context of her game which greatly influences the kind of character she is, is equivalent to me criticizing the thesis of someone's article without reading the article. And there's no way I can expect anyone, including the people who read the article and agree with it, to take my criticism seriously.

I finally found my copy of Mega Man X Collection as well as some other games I forgot I had like Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2, Shadow the fucking Hedgehog, and a fucking NBA game. When the fuck did I play NBA? Maybe a friend left it or something. Anyway, got the X Collection and I'm gonna play through the games since I only ever beat the first one. Maybe I'll post some of my thoughts.

Village

Even though there are plenty of reasons why I'd never watch her videos, mostly because I'll watch reruns of TBF or giant bomb way before I'd watch an Anita video. I just feel like talking about a game character outside the context of her game which greatly influences the kind of character she is, is equivalent to me criticizing the thesis of someone's article without reading the article. And there's no way I can expect anyone, including the people who read the article and agree with it, to take my criticism seriously.

...you know you can do both of those things.... right?

Bayo most likely was designed with both goals in mind, showing sexual confidence with control and appealing to the male gaze. It's up to the player to make that determination of what she is. I think we discuss it here often but considering how the game has it's tongue plated firmly in cheek, I personally don't find her stimulating. She's pixels and proportionally unrealistic. Nothing about her is going to elicit that response that women who present themselves sexually would elicit normally.

Because of this, I find everything else about Bayo: her powers, her wit, her charm and snarky comments, and her accent to be things that make her unique and recognizable. These things, plus the hair suit, to be iconic images of a powerful and recognizable female protag that gamers rarely get to see and want to play as. She appeals to the power fantasy of both men and women while using her sexuality as the power she wields. She's a great character who the industry should learn to push more.

ultimax

Bought a PS T.V
(liam)
for the lore. Curious how persona 4 golden and persona 3 portable is gonna look on my 55 inch tv

Village

Also... Anita has stated before she doesn't have issues with sexy characters. ...wat are y'all talking about

Also... Not to burst yall bubble or nothing but women not liking bayonetta isnt uncommon

Oberon

Banned
I haven't watched any of her videos and done plan to. There seems to be a lot of generalization across all games.

Same here. I know some facts about her, so I could find the evidence i've read to back it up.

This discussion about sexualisation in Video games, in combinasion with your avatar makes me want to check out Monster girl quest....
Has anyone played it?

Zenfalcia

This discussion about sexualisation in Video games, in combinasion with your avatar makes me want to check out Monster girl quest....
Has anyone played it?

It's quite funny in fact. The irony is strong.

I plan to, haven't yet, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom