• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also... Anita has stated before she doesn't have issues with sexy characters. ...wat are y'all talking about

Also... Not to burst yall bubble or nothing but women not liking bayonetta isnt uncommon

My only gripe is with Anita that she has an opportunity with her celebrity to, as Joe said "interview with developers about story ideas and characters" and she doesn't fully utilize it.

She has an opportunity to get more of the characters and games she would prefer in the market, an opportunity we'd love if it was given to most of us, but that isn't followed through.

Also... Anita has stated before she doesn't have issues with sexy characters. ...wat are y'all talking about

Also... Not to burst yall bubble or nothing but women not liking bayonetta isnt uncommon

I'm sure she doesn't and I'm sure it's not. I just don't care for someone criticizing video game characters without playing the game, when the gameplay has such an important influence on the character.

She can do whatever she wants, but why bother wasting my time on someone who's already that misinformed? I'll wait for any other female's criticism who've actually played the game and still have problems with her sexualization and empowerment or whatever.

I just passed my G2 driving test. Hell yeah!

peter-parker-dance.gif
Conglaturations!

kewlmyc

Finishing up the podcast, so would you guys go to the future, copy the sports/lottery almanac, and use it to make yourself super rich?

Xux

Even though there are plenty of reasons why I'd never watch her videos, mostly because I'll watch reruns of TBF or giant bomb way before I'd watch an Anita video. I just feel like talking about a game character outside the context of her game which greatly influences the kind of character she is, is equivalent to me criticizing the thesis of someone's article without reading the article. And there's no way I can expect anyone, including the people who read the article and agree with it, to take my criticism seriously.
"Without reading the article"? And you're making this comparison based on hearsay and without watching any of the videos?

Finishing up the podcast, so would you guys go to the future, copy the sports/lottery almanac, and use it to make yourself super rich?

You're not thinking big enough. You go back and you enslave mankind. That's the way to do it.

I don't know much about theoretical time travel, but isn't there unintended consequences for messing up the flow of time?

Depends. If you believe in the multiverse theory then it wouldn't cause any problems.
Don't quote me on that.

"Without reading the article"? And you're making this comparison based on hearsay and without watching any of the videos?

Yes. Play the damn game and I'll care. Unless I was completely misinformed and she actually played Bayo and pure platinumed the game on infinite climax difficulty. Fuck not only would I watch the video, id subscribe and donate lol.

Xiraiya

Woolie was getting pretty salty about that idol thing. I'm with pat on that argument.

I don't really have anything to say about it, it's well and truly known at this point Woolie doesn't really have RPG instincts, let alone Dark Souls instincts.

Nintendo and Platinum collab on a Little Mac character action game where Little Mac has to save the world from WHO CARES KICKSTART IT.
The final battle needs to be an MGS4 tier emotional ride during a gloves off, all out brawl to the bitter end.

Xux

Yes. Play the damn game and I'll care. Unless I was completely misinformed and she actually played Bayo and pure platinumed the game on infinite climax difficulty. Fuck not only would I watch the video, id subscribe and donate lol.
Haha, that seems kind of extreme. Most of the stuff she discusses is story stuff that can be gleaned from playthrough videos.

Same. I was always more interested in video games then I was movies. I'm only now starting to catch up to all the movies I missed.

Well not only that, but I enjoyed watching wrestling much more than watching movies. I've been trying to catch up also. I saw Predator during the summer and that was awesome. I still need to watch others though like the recent marvel movies, Star Wars, Alien, back to the future and probably any other movie classics you can think of.

Village

I'm sure she doesn't and I'm sure it's not. I just don't care for someone criticizing video game characters without playing the game, when the gameplay has such an important influence on the character.

She can do whatever she wants, but why bother wasting my time on someone who's already that misinformed? I'll wait for any other female's criticism who've actually played the game and still have problems with her sexualization and empowerment or whatever.

1) there are many cases where you don't have to play the game to criticize its narrative or thematic elements.

2) while my friend isn't exactly becoming a critic anytime soon. How ever we have talked about this and she has voiced two things

-she dislikes that people keep telling her bayo is sexually empowered , as if that eliminates all argument

-two dislikes when people say bayo was designed by a woman like that eliminates all argument. I feel like this applies to myself in particular when people say "well a black/Arabic guy made this , why do you have issue" like all of us supposed to be on a wavelength or something.

She had a long spheal about how she thinks being sexually empowered doesnt mean working sexuality into almost evrything you do. But im paraphrasing enough, and I have forgotten parts. And this is 2nd hand info for you off some opinionated stuff she told me. So you dont have let this effect you. she also argued in favor of totally 18 Marie rose, or at least in concept

Have you guys only been alive for a few years? Jesus how have you not just seen movies at some point.
I only see movies when I seek them out or somebody else makes me, and that's not often. I only watched Terminator 1 and 2 at the behest of the Zaibatsu talking about it, as of like last year. Nobody I know is into movies enough to tell me about or show me anything. I still need to watch a ton of movies, Robocop and Aliens being the main two. Hell, I still need to see Guardians of the Galaxy.
If she has watched a full walkthrough or whatever I'd be more inclined to understand her position, but it's still not the same as actually sitting down and playing it. The satisfaction of pulling off ridiculous combos and destroying all the huge bosses through the tough difficulty just adds so much more to the character. It's not the cutscenes that sold me on Bayo as a character, as much as the badass stuff I can do with her in the game.

If I hadnt played DMC3 and just saw the cutscenes, I wouldn't have cared as much for Dante as a character as I would have when i pulled off stingers and high rises and million stabs, etc. to beat the tough bosses like Beowulf and Vergil.

Regardless of gender, being in control of the gameplay and doing all these crazy things with the characters just helps build a relationship with these characters on a different level then their writing or design would indicate. And it's a shame that Anita doesn't understand this.
Neither does Gies. These are people that don't think about the medium of games as involving gameplay when you criticize it, or judge it completely seperately. And that opinion completely bugs me to no end.

Haha, that seems kind of extreme. Most of the stuff she discusses is story stuff that can be gleaned from playthrough videos.

If she has watched a full walkthrough or whatever I'd be more inclined to understand her position, but it's still not the same as actually sitting down and playing it. The satisfaction of pulling off ridiculous combos and destroying all the huge bosses through the tough difficulty just adds so much more to the character. It's not the cutscenes that sold me on Bayo as a character, as much as the badass stuff I can do with her in the game.

If I hadnt played DMC3 and just saw the cutscenes, I wouldn't have cared as much for Dante as a character as I would have when i pulled off stingers and high rises and million stabs, etc. to beat the tough bosses like Beowulf and Vergil.

Regardless of gender, being in control of the gameplay and doing all these crazy things with the characters just helps build a relationship with these characters on a different level then their writing or design would indicate. And it's a shame that Anita doesn't understand this.

edit: this post doesn't have much to do with Bayo's sexual empowerment or whatever, but I'm just saying there is a lot more to Bayo than her sexuality

Finally finished the episode. Got a real problem with Liam's time morality logic.
Taking those numbers is a victimless crime. Even if you do win, it doesnt change the other people who would have won odds of winning. Just gives you an extra advantage they didn't have and wouldnt believe even if they found out snd now I'm starting to see where this would br illegal.... Pat and Woolie were still right though....

Finally finished the episode. Got a real problem with Liam's time morality logic.
Taking those numbers is a victimless crime. Even if you do win, it doesnt change the other people who would have won odds of winning. Just gives you an extra advantage they didn't have and wouldnt believe even if they found out snd now I'm starting to see where this would br illegal.... Pat and Woolie were still right though....

It changes the pot, though. But that's it mostly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom