• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

croten

I'm watching the rule of rose video and Pat talking about the pronunciation of Aluminium reminded me that you Americans can't speak for shit.

Whatever, at least we can pronounce the word "Ceremony."

AMERICAN HIGH FIVES!

Americans don't high five anymore. That's 90s shit.
Brofists are the new hotness.

tf2___bro_fist____sniper_and_scout___free_gif__by_sniperisawesome-d51b7dr.gif

Read the OP, it clearly shows what I think of timezones!
It's 3pm here

Chao always ahead of the curve.

My family extended family is all from the UK and they all pronounce it that way. Might be one of those weird regional things.

YOU GUYS SAY ALUMINIUM WRONG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Etymology

Two variants of the metal's name are in current use, aluminium (pronunciation: /ˌæl(j)ʊˈmɪniːəm/) and aluminum (/əˈluːmɪnəm/)—besides the obsolete alumium. The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990 but, three years later, recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. Hence their periodic table includes both.[61] IUPAC internal publications use either spelling in nearly the same number.[62]

Most countries use the spelling aluminium. In the United States and Canada, the spelling aluminum predominates.[16][63] The Canadian Oxford Dictionary prefers aluminum, whereas the Australian Macquarie Dictionary prefers aluminium. In 1926, the American Chemical Society officially decided to use aluminum in its publications; American dictionaries typically label the spelling aluminium as "chiefly British".[64][65]

So basically, ours is the official international version and aluminum is just an acceptable, but shitty variant thereof.

#TeamAluminium 5 ever
Also, in a totally unrelated note...
#TeamMetricSystem

Just look up the Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine.

The European videogames industry is just a variant of the superior North American one.
#TeamMetric

Why did the Metric System dominate the East? Why does the US for the most part use Feet and Inches vs CM and Meters?

Well, fuck. I defeated too many mavericks so I can't get all the Zero parts. Time to start over.

Why did the Metric System dominate the East? Why does the US for the most part use Feet and Inches vs CM and Meters?

Because the Metric System is da bess. I don't know why they US still uses their shitty system. Get with the times.

The Metric System makes a thousand times more sense.

I will never use it because I'm far too used to the shitty system I have now. The fuck is a meter?! I don't have any frame of reference for that, Attack on Titan, I don't understand just how big those things are!

No.... It's Nathan thats the best

Rudy is great though

Nathan is great, but Rudy was just as funny while actually being likable.

croten

I will never use it because I'm far too used to the shitty system I have now. The fuck is a meter?! I don't have any frame of reference for that, Attack on Titan, I don't understand just how big those things are!

Git gud at the metric system

Nathan was great because he was a prick

History of the two systems aside (which you'll want to look into if you want to know why Metric is used almost everywhere outside of very few countries and why the US adopted the imperial system), at this point it's incredibly difficult for a country the size and influence of the US to switch to a different system. They tried it, half-assed at that, failed and stuck to their own. Not enough benefits and far too much hassle for them to try and switch over to the superior system.

Thing is, too many systems have been put in place that make switching to Metric from Imperial a fucking nightmare.

Big one I can think of off my head: Construction.

Only arrogant because we're the best! WOO!
USA! USA! USA!

V%C3%A1llalkoz%C3%A1s.m27.n4754.jpg

LOL this picture looks so bad yet so good. Uncle Sam only has 4 fingers. Guess he blew one off during war.

croten

Only arrogant because we're the best! WOO!

USA! USA! USA!

He was, but Rudy was a prick too, just a more likable one, that's why I like him more. But really, Rudy Misfits and Nathan Misfits are practically two different shows and I just prefer the tone when Rudy is on it.

Pretty much, most people I know stopped watching it when Nathan left.

Pretty much, most people I know stopped watching it when Nathan left.

I almost did, because the show had to significantly change and it took awhile to get used to Rudy, but goddammit he was lovable when you did. And there were some of the best episodes in the second half.

The final battle with the mid-air rape was fantastically dumb.

croten

I almost did, because the show had to significantly change and it took awhile to get used to Rudy, but goddammit he was lovable when you did. And there were some of the best episodes in the second half.

The final battle with the mid-air rape was fantastically dumb.

Yeah I didn't stick around for most of those episodes so I missed that.

In the original version of the metric system the base units could be derived from a specified length (the metre) and the weight [mass] of a specified volume (1⁄1000 of a cubic metre) of pure water. Initially the de facto French Government of the day, the Assemblée nationale constituante, considered defining the metre as the length of a pendulum that has a period of one second at 45°N and an altitude equal to sea level. The altitude and latitude were specified to accommodate variations in gravity; the specified latitude was a compromise between the latitude of London (51° 30'N), Paris (48° 50'N) and the median parallel of the United States (38°N) to accommodate variations. However the mathematician Borda persuaded the assembly that a survey having its ends at sea level and based on a meridian that spanned at least 10% of the earth's quadrant would be more appropriate for such a basis.

One litre is equivalent to the volume of a cube with edges of 10 cm and the kilogram was originally designed to be one litre of water at the melting point of ice.

The available technology of the 1790s made it impracticable to use these definitions as the basis of the kilogram and the metre, so prototypes that represented these quantities insofar as was practicable were manufactured. On 22 June 1799 these prototypes were adopted as the definitive reference pieces, deposited in the Archives nationales and became known as the mètre des Archives and the kilogramme des Archives. Copies were made and distributed around France. These artefacts were replaced in 1889 by the new prototypes manufactured under international supervision. Insofar as was possible, the new prototypes were exact copies of the original prototypes, but used a later technology to ensure better stability. One of each of the kilogram and metre prototypes were chosen by lot to serve as the definitive international reference piece with the remainder being distributed to signatories of the Metre Convention. In 1889 there was no generally accepted theory regarding the nature of light but by 1960 the wavelength of specific light spectra could give a more accurate and reproducible value than a prototype metre. In that year the prototype metre was replaced by a formal definition which defines the metre in terms of the wavelength of specified light spectra. By 1983 it was accepted that the speed of light in vacuum was constant and that this constant provided a more reproducible procedure for measuring length. Therefore the metre was redefined in terms of the speed of light. These definitions give a much better reproducibility and also allow anyone, anywhere with a suitably equipped laboratory, to make a standard metre.

Also, just for clarity's sake, a door is usually 2 meteres so a 300 meter tall Titan would be 150 doors stacked on top of each other.

Nordicus

The fuck is a meter?! I don't have any frame of reference for that, Attack on Titan, I don't understand just how big those things are!
Mang Aaron, u lazy, meter should be especially easy to get when one meter is roughly 1.1 yards.

Then again you can blame the system that uses feet for measurements even when the measured object/distance is dozens of them

Mang Aaron, u lazy, meter should be especially easy to get when one meter is roughly 1.1 yards.

Then again you can blame the system that uses feet for measurements even when the measured object/distance is dozens of them

I was homeschooled, so I didn't have traditional math learnings, which is part of why I'm goddamn terrible at it and anything involving numbers. Translating one kind of number into another might as well be magic as far as I'm concerned. But hey, I pass my math tests when I need to, so I'm doing just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom