• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shackzam

Guess it's for the best.
Hopefully I can actually master my stuff in time...

My akihiko stuff is like ideas going through my mind on how much utility it has, but there is some impractical hype shit if I made a correct guess or eat shit for it. Man I like the shit they did to akihiko, but I hate they made the hype shit so tempting to do every time.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So impressions of the like 1 and a half hours ive played of mass effect, The shooting isnt the best thing in the world, Its not bad but it isnt anything extraordinary either, ofcourse with this having RPG elements and from what I hear, the one that actually has RPG elements that matters to the gameplay, its fine for what it is, graphics, my less then perfec laptop just reminded me that this is a UE3 game, so in certain spots it can look ugly, and especially if it loads in textures late or if your pc isnt the mos optimal, it has that weird not load in look thats hard to look at., dialogue is pretty good so far but the story is still just starting, I really want to meet the other team members besides ashley and get to know them, thats ironically what im most excited about but that might be the point.

What's weird is that the Fanservice thing bothers me the most. I actually don't mind fanservice and am actually a little perverted, but I really just can't bring myself to actually write any of that. It just feels...out of place a lot of time, even characters that wear reveling clothing wear it for a reason and usually stop because it brings attention to them when doing normal things.

Such a strange feeling.
There's a difference when you come at it from a perspective of a writer mostly. Fanservice seems more like unneeded fluff when you're the one in charge of the narrative, I think. As a reader/watcher you can just go "ok yeah", but most writers don't want to just appeal to a straight male/gay female audience for 10 minutes while doing nothing.

That's just my assumptions.
So impressions of the like 1 and a half hours ive played of mass effect, The shooting isnt the best thing in the world, Its not bad but it isnt anything extraordinary either, ofcourse with this having RPG elements and from what I hear, the one that actually has RPG elements that matters to the gameplay, its fine for what it is, graphics, my less then perfec laptop just reminded me that this is a UE3 game, so in certain spots it can look ugly, and especially if it loads in textures late or if your pc isnt the mos optimal, it has that weird not load in look thats hard to look at., dialogue is pretty good so far but the story is still just starting, I really want to meet the other team members besides ashley and get to know them, thats ironically what im most excited about but that might be the point.
It's basically just pretty good. Try and talk to everyone and learn stuff about the world. It's the best part about ME1, ME2 is a lot more character focused if that's what you want, so you can look forward to that.

GGs everybody. Margie day was a success!
I'm so confused now though, Margaret doesn't really play the way I'd like...
Guys, I might end up seconding Ken. He's exactly what I wish S.Lab was, a true puppet character
who's simple enough that I can actually master.

ultimax

GG's everyone. Margaret is hype and so is Wiping all out as a fighting game track

and Romars, your Kanji game is too damn strong lol

That awful feeling that when you're inspired by Anime and other things to write, but you barely have a trace of that genre in your writing.

There are no fanservice scenes where characters are half naked or hot springs chapter.

(I'm not sure if it's because I simply don't care about that, if I don't have enough confidence to put something like that in the story. Or I have too much self control and can git stimulated from other things)

It doesn't take place in japan, and everything that could be considered a filler chapter is used to expand the characters or world. Despite having obvious set up to action, only has about 3 actions scenes in the current 9 chapters and even then they are fast.

What's weird is that the Fanservice thing bothers me the most. I actually don't mind fanservice and am actually a little perverted, but I really just can't bring myself to actually write any of that. It just feels...out of place a lot of time, even characters that wear reveling clothing wear it for a reason and usually stop because it brings attention to them when doing normal things.

Such a strange feeling.

Maybe use fan service as satire???

I don't know what kind of audience you're planning to attract, but any inklings of fan service will get you the Japanese manga/anime crowd.

Whether that's intentional or not is really up to how you want your story to come across.

360pages

There's a difference when you come at it from a perspective of a writer mostly. Fanservice seems more like unneeded fluff when you're the one in charge of the narrative, I think. As a reader/watcher you can just go "ok yeah", but most writers don't want to just appeal to a straight male/gay female audience for 10 minutes while doing nothing.

That's just my assumptions.

It's basically just pretty good. Try and talk to everyone and learn stuff about the world. It's the best part about ME1, ME2 is a lot more character focused if that's what you want, so you can look forward to that.

Yeah, maybe that's it. Maybe because I respect those characters enough not to put them in those situations. Though that is just my worthless pride talking, even most of the comedy is more snarky and situational.

Plus, maybe I just don't think Fanservice works as well in a written format than as a visual one.

Yeah, maybe that's it. Maybe because I respect those characters enough not to put them in those situations. Though that is just my worthless pride talking, even most of the comedy is more snarky and situational.

Plus, maybe I just don't think Fanservice works as well in a written format than as a visual one.
Females are usually the ones that prefer prose to visual fanservice.

360pages

Maybe use fan service as satire???

I don't know what kind of audience you're planning to attract, but any inklings of fan service will get you the Japanese manga/anime crowd.

Whether that's intentional or not is really up to how you want your story to come across.

It's funny, because my story is in that section, but lacks a lot of things that would land it in such a section. I just want to make something fun while a bit stock interesting to read with characters that are enjoyable to see interact with one another.

I don't want to do anything to attract a specific crowd. It's not super dark and somewhat light-hearted. Even during its slower moments, and maybe teach some people about certain things.

Zenfalcia

That awful feeling that when you're inspired by Anime and other things to write, but you barely have a trace of that genre in your writing.

There are no fanservice scenes where characters are half naked or hot springs chapter.

(I'm not sure if it's because I simply don't care about that, if I don't have enough confidence to put something like that in the story. Or I have too much self control and can git stimulated from other things)

It doesn't take place in japan, and everything that could be considered a filler chapter is used to expand the characters or world. Despite having obvious set up to action, only has about 3 actions scenes in the current 9 chapters and even then they are fast.

Such a strange feeling.

You could write in fanservice and delete it later if you dislike it. Nothing wrong with talking about things that would happen in a particular world or reality. Like it'll be weird to have two people who love each other do nothing... but hand holding.. with pinkie fingers
Damn you Chuunibyou!

Wow, The Sanctuary Guardian boss in the Artorias DLC for Dark Souls is a shocking change of pace. You have to be fast and you can't hesitate at all with that boss, thankfully I also have Havel's Greatshield so EVERYTHING does piddly damage.

So far the Artorias DLC is pretty great.
That DLC is so much better than the base game it's insane. None of the bosses have any spots where you can be safe from their attacks, as they have means to get at you from behind.

Just wait till you actually fight Artorias though. Oh man...so exhilarating.

Don't even worry about it, if you don't want to do it then don't think twice.

I'm never going to put fanservice in my stuff because it aint for me, and I respect my characters.

-
You could write in fanservice and delete it later if you dislike it. Nothing wrong with talking about things that would happen in a particular world or reality. Like it'll be weird to have two people who love each other do nothing... but hand holding.. with pinkie fingers
Damn you Chuunibyou!

Nudity or sexy time don't equate to fanservice, though they can be. Fanservice is usually just exploiting the character with creepy camera angles, dumb situations that make them fall over or whatever, or DoA physics.

It's funny, because my story is in that section, but lacks a lot of things that would land it in such a section. I just want to make something fun while a bit stock interesting to read with characters that are enjoyable to see interact with one another.

I don't want to do anything to attract a specific crowd. It's not super dark and somewhat light-hearted. Even during its slower moments, and maybe teach some people about certain things.

That sounds like quite the handful to deal with as a writer.
Writing chemistry in must be one of the difficult parts of the method.

Zenfalcia

Females are usually the ones that prefer prose to visual fanservice.

This is true. Romance novels have a predominantly female audience.

That's why there's shoujo mangas.

I like shoujos and romances mangas ;_; doki doki moments are too strong

Nudity or sexy time don't equate to fanservice, though they can be. Fanservice is usually just exploiting the character with creepy camera angles, dumb situations that make them fall over or whatever, or DoA physics.

That is true. Fanservice can also be story based. Like pandering to a specific character or pander to fans of a series with other things besides lewd things.

That's why there's shoujo mangas.

I like shoujos and romances mangas ;_; doki doki moments are too strong

tumblr_inline_naomovxaJt1s6lw3t.gif

360pages

Damn you Chuunibyou!

Well having characters talk about it and flat out writing it is different. Having a couple being implied to have sex or even having a scene with them sleeping in the same completely or nearly naked I think is much different then having a boob or ass shot randomly or having a character wear something like that.

One is a natural extension of a relationship while the other is random stimulation.

Yeah, sure, sex might be important in a romance, but like hell am I going to write it. Maybe describe how the characters feel. AFTER it, but I doubt I could write a sex scene at all, let alone make it appealing.

Zenfalcia

I can't stop reading

Well having characters talk about it and flat out writing it is different. Having a couple being implied to have sex or even having a scene with them sleeping in the same completely or nearly naked I think is much different then having a boob or ass shot randomly or having a character wear something like that.

One is a natural extension of a relationship while the other is random stimulation.

Yeah, sure, sex might be important in a romance, but like hell am I going to write it. Maybe describe how the characters feel. AFTER it, but I doubt I could write a sex scene at all, let alone make it appealing.

Doesn't mean you can't try to do it tastefully. You gotta start from somewhere.

Also, I read a little of your chapter 1. Just one quick comment on it is that it's rough. I could go more into detail if you want.

Fan service doesn't necessarily need to be sexually based or sexually manipulative.

It can be practically anything that panders to a niche audience.

See: MGS4 and Z.O.E.

MGS4 was fan service the game for metal gear fans.

Z.O.E. was the giant robot equivalent.

Nah man, you got it all wrong. Sex is super fun to write, it doesn't matter how bad it is, just sip some wine and write what comes to mind. You'll learn quite a bit about yourself.

And as far as describing the fanservice in text, shit's tough and awkward, but that's part of the fun.

360pages

I can't stop reading

Doesn't mean you can't try to do it tastefully. You gotta start from somewhere.

Also, I read a little of your chapter 1. Just one quick comment on it is that it's rough. I could go more into detail if you want.

Go ahead, it was written at a time where I didn't have much grasp of narratives, and mostly just edited rather than written from the ground up. (I honestly think the other thing I'm working on is better) So go ahead.

Fan service doesn't necessarily need to be sexually based or sexually manipulative.

You mean Super Robot Wars? Because THAT'S fanservice for mecha.

That DLC is so much better than the base game it's insane. None of the bosses have any spots where you can be safe from their attacks, as they have means to get at you from behind.

Just wait till you actually fight Artorias though. Oh man...so exhilarating.

So you are saying I will have never felt a tension like that ever before?

Sounds like I can't reload in the middle of battle.

Nut up, and drop the shield.

Not using a shield might make the future bosses easier, actually.

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna
dropmyshield
because I'm perfect

NEVER GONNA DROP
NEVER GONNA DROP

MY SHIELD

AND GET KILLED.

Zenfalcia

Nah man, you got it all wrong. Sex is super fun to write, it doesn't matter how bad it is, just sip some wine and write what comes to mind. You'll learn quite a bit about yourself.

And as far as describing the fanservice in text, shit's tough and awkward, but that's part of the fun.

It's fun like writing a chapter 16.5 ;)

Sometimes if you write it well enough, it can become 50 shades of gray darker and become a book.
heh.

Go ahead, it was written at a time where I didn't have much grasp of narratives, and mostly just edited rather than written from the ground up. (I honestly think the other thing I'm working on is better) So go ahead.

Want it through Pm or just post it here?

We had this talk, where I wanted to know if there was some term to distinguish pervy fanservice from normal fanservice, but I was told that everyone got the memo depending on the conversation.

And the 'good' sexual fanservice are the story-driven ones.
Like Eva in MGS3- you get shots of her taking her clothes off or zipping her jacket down through Snake's perspective, because she's trying to seduce Snake through the whole game.

My akihiko stuff is like ideas going through my mind on how much utility it has, but there is some impractical hype shit if I made a correct guess or eat shit for it. Man I like the shit they did to akihiko, but I hate they made the hype shit so tempting to do every time.

My Kanji stuff is commiting an insane combo to muscle memory, and learning a game mechanic I've happily ignored up to this point... ugh.
Kanji's changes are weird in retrospect. They made better at what he was already good at, and worse at what he was bad at. I fear match ups are going to be more true then ever now...

GG's everyone. Margaret is hype and so is Wiping all out as a fighting game track

and Romars, your Kanji game is too damn strong lol

Oh, you give me too much credit. Hoenestly, I kinda embarassed myself there, I was wrong. It is harder to punish Margie's AB than I thought.

You mean Super Robot Wars? Because THAT'S fanservice for mecha.

Super robot Wars? Never heard of it.
Please show me some art or footage.

What did you learn Aaron?

We had this talk, where I wanted to know if there was some term to distinguish pervy fanservice from normal fanservice, but I was told that everyone got the memo depending on the conversation.

Like Eva in MGS3- you get shots of her taking her clothes off or zipping her jacket down through Snake's perspective, because she's trying to seduce Snake through the whole game.

We got the memo? I missive missed it.

EVA in MGS3 I never felt was a character treated with fan service. Maybe I'm oblivious to it but I would think a double agent spy would use her sexuality to exploit men, which is something additional to her character and not fan service in the general sense.

I think of fan service when I watch TTGL or DBZ and watch a woman's boobs bounce very awkwardly and out of place in a shot.

I was about to say this but I couldnt think of anything that does that.
Basically anything that makes you go "OH FUCK I LIKE THAT THING!" is fanservice. Like that one thing in CVS 2 where that one dude makes a statue of Guile then guile blows it up. Thats fan service.

Another good example of good fanservice is later in the game when you meet Johnny in the jail in Groznyj Grad.

A whole clan of Johnny's...

360pages

It's fun like writing a chapter 16.5 ;)

Sometimes if you write it well enough, it can become 50 shades of gray darker and become a book.
heh.

Want it through Pm or just post it here?

Well, like if you have zero good things to say about it and it's shit, then PM me though like I said I can already see some of the flaws in it.

(I should have kept the scene, introduce the character slower, either have just started the chapter out in the mission rather than having a breeding chapter.)

I was about to say this but I couldnt think of anything that does that.
Basically anything that makes you go "OH FUCK I LIKE THAT THING!" is fanservice. Like that one thing in CVS 2 where that one dude makes a statue of Guile then guile blows it up. Thats fan service.

Shadow The Hedgehog :p

It's a mecha strategy game that also has cross overs to gundam and other series.

That sounds like something I need to try.

Zenfalcia

Well, like if you have zero good things to say about it and it's shit, then PM me though like I said I can already see some of the flaws in it.

(I should have kept the scene, introduce the character slower, either have just started the chapter out in the mission rather than having a breeding chapter.)

Ok, I'll keep that in mind.

One point I'll make. You should work on your hook, and explain the setting? It was a little hard to imagine the place the scenes are taking place when all I know is that it's a stainless city, and a non de script building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom