• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you calling yourself boobs, Shin-Liam?

a55.png

this requires more self reflection

360pages

I just realized, shouldn't we be starting a new topic soon. I mean, I think this is the closest we got to actually completing a topic.

Wow the more and more I get to know this girl I used to have a crush on now that were just friends, the more I realize I dodged a gigantic bullet.

Can I ask why?
Its not that shes not a great person shes one of my best friends but....her tastes are like completely different than mine to the point where we would have never worked.
Right now shes saying that back to the future sucks and its my favorite movie franchise ever.

Wow the more and more I get to know this girl I used to have a crush on now that were just friends, the more I realize I dodged a gigantic bullet.

And that's why I always tell people not to date randoms. Best friend didn't listen to that advice, now he's stuck in a sexless relationship with someone he has nothing in common with.

Its not that shes not a great person shes one of my best friends but....her tastes are like completely different than mine to the point where we would have never worked.
Right now shes saying that back to the future sucks and its my favorite movie franchise ever.

Well, favorite movie franchises are hardly a thing that should get in the way of a relationship, I mean, I could and probably will date people who do not like Gurren Lagann and I've had to accept that.

Shackzam

I would probably beat my own brains in if I had to hear an explanation on why back to the future sucks.
because it doesnt

Well, favorite movie franchises are hardly a thing that should get in the way of a relationship, I mean, I could and probably will date people who do not like Gurren Lagann and I've had to accept that.
Well its not just one thing its like a shit load of shit really the only things we have in common is persona and sonic. Even then she had the worst waifu
rise
and she likes amy who I hate
Also she likes Ken

Oberon

Banned

That doesn't seem like a big deal to me, at least not enough to not have a relationship.
What sort of movies does she like?

360pages

I don't think like and hating different characters is something to base a relationship off of. The fact that you are into the same general thing is good. It would be me saying it wouldn't work between me and a girl, because she like Twilight despite the fact both of us likes to read.

Also zedreamcast, have you ever thought about just writing a story, to get a basic idea of you world and location before you start drawing it?

croten

That doesn't seem like a big deal to me, at least not enough to not have a relationship.
Think of it this way, could you be with a girl that didn't like Gurren Lagann? I know I couldn't
You're a better man than me

If memory serves I believe comedy movies and animated movies. I honestly cant remember its been a long time since shes told me. I do know she likes doctor who and I tried to get into it when I liked her but...wow do I not like shows like superwholock shit.

I could be in the relationship, definitely (Wording was weird there with you saying I'm a better man, whatever). It's a singular interest that I happen to care deeply about, but a relationship is more than just that, which is why I've acknowledged that I'm too immature to be in a functioning relationship, since while that wouldn't stop me, I would probably linger on the topic longer than I should.

But it's more the broad things, if a girl doesn't like TTGL, then yeah, whatever, single things I don't care. But if she doesn't like anime, then it's less me being "I would never date a girl who doesn't like anime" and more that I watch anime more than anything and if she wasn't into it she'd probably not like me watching anime all the time.

Having interest and things in common is nice, but it's nothing required. The more expansive your array of shared activities and interests the more you can talk about, but you can be great friends regardless.

I don't imagine a romantic relationship is much different than that.

Oberon

Banned
Think of it this way, could you be with a girl that didn't like Gurren Lagann? I know I couldn't

Mhm, that would be a bit painful. But I have other more important criteria.
Like Pokemon
The girl that rejected me the other day liked pokemon :(

If memory serves I believe comedy movies and animated movies. I honestly cant remember its been a long time since shes told me. I do know she likes doctor who and I tried to get into it when I liked her but...wow do I not like shows like superwholock shit.

Has she explained why she doesn't like them? Maybe she has only watched the third movie?

croten

I could be in the relationship, definitely (Wording was weird there with you saying I'm a better man, whatever). It's a singular interest that I happen to care deeply about, but a relationship is more than just that, which is why I've acknowledged that I'm too immature to be in a functioning relationship, since while that wouldn't stop me, I would probably linger on the topic longer than I should.

But it's more the broad things, if a girl doesn't like TTGL, then yeah, whatever, single things I don't care. But if she doesn't like anime, then it's less me being "I would never date a girl who doesn't like anime" and more that I watch anime more than anything and if she wasn't into it she'd probably not like me watching anime all the time.

Well that's kind of the same with me, but if she didn't like gurren then she probably doesn't like other things similar to it, which is stuff I'm very passionate about. If she didn't like the things I'm passionate about then we probably aren't a good match.

Well the thing with me if it was a few things then yeah but if we like the same general thing, video games and anime which we both like, but the tastes in them are too different and I feel like we would more than likely not be able to enjoy enough together.
like I cant talk to her about how hype bloodbourne is gonna be. Or how happy i am about the new TRIGGER anime.
like it was a lot of stuff to make me not like her that way but the more I talk to her the more I realize we wouldnt have worked.

Having interest and things in common is nice, but it's nothing required. The more expansive your array of shared activities and interested the more you can talk about, but you can be great friends regardless.

Actual interests don't really matter all that much, and you might end up liking things you didn't like before just because the person you like does, but there are certain interests that do matter. Like I knew a girl who didn't want to watch any TV shows of any kind. She just didn't like them, even shows like Breaking Bad. Not her thing. So I know, given that I prefer TV shows to movies, that relationship probably wouldn't work out, since we'd have exact opposite interests in what to watch and that would just end up being a sticking point, even with compromises, there's a baseline level of compatibility that should be there.

I think the main thing people need is to learn that you don't have to be in a relationship. It's not all its cracked up to be in media, you should be able to be happy by yourself or with friends and not require a romantic partner to be anything but miserable.

Mhm, that would be a bit painful. But I have other more important criteria.
Like Pokemon
The girl that rejected me the other day liked pokemon :(

Has she explained why she doesn't like them? Maybe she has only watched the third movie?
She didnt say which one but she thought it was boring.

ultimax

Having interest and things in common is nice, but it's nothing required. The more expansive your array of shared activities and interests the more you can talk about, but you can be great friends regardless.

For me, it's not that a girl would need to even like games/anime for us to get along. But as long as she accepts the hobby and doesn't bash it due to ignorance. that's all anyone can really ask for

She also needs to accept that Risette is my waifu.
kidding.
:p

Well the thing with me if it was a few things then yeah but if we like the same general thing, video games and anime which we both like, but the tastes in them are too different and I feel like we would more than likely not be able to enjoy enough together.
like I cant talk to her about how hype bloodbourne is gonna be. Or how happy i am about the new TRIGGER anime.
like it was a lot of stuff to make me not like her that way but the more I talk to her the more I realize we wouldnt have worked.

Don't get us wrong, we're not saying you have to try to be with this girl, that you're wrong for no longer being interested or that you're wrong in any way, just that in the future you should be mindful that superficial things like specific interests aren't all that goes into a relationship.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to be smart or something, I've just studied a lot on the psychology of relationships and I like talking about them, even though I'm not personally interested in having one any time soon.

360pages

For me, it's not that a girl would need to even like games/anime for us to get along. But as long as she accepts the hobby and doesn't bash it due to ignorance. that's all anyone can really ask for

She also needs to accept that Risette is my waifu.
kidding.
:p

So, how are you enjoying those Naruto games anyway?

I just made a massive post about getting a WiiU at some point, but if we're near the end of the thread I'll just wait until next thread to post it ;-;

Don't get us wrong, we're not saying you have to try to be with this girl, that you're wrong for no longer being interested or that you're wrong in any way, just that in the future you should be mindful that superficial things like specific interests aren't all that goes into a relationship.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to be smart or something, I've just studied a lot on the psychology of relationships and I like talking about them, even though I'm not personally interested in having one any time soon.
Well yeah I know that, I know people dont need to base a relationship on likes and dislikes but besides some personal stuff I dont wanna get into that happened between us. Then again I really just want a girl who I can enjoy a lot of stuff with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom