• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archgan

Don't get me wrong I love being lost. I usually want to get from point A to B as soon as possible, but with SMT 3 I felt absorbed by the scenery and get to find things that I usually won't find. If SMT 4 and EO are really that hard to navigate, I'll wait for the next sale.

I don't think that you would like the EO games because there is a lot if grinding in order to get from A to B. But I was never lost playing them. The floors and quest are usually straight forward.

360pages

I don't think that you would like the EO games because there is a lot if grinding in order to get from A to B. But I was never lost playing them. The floors and quest are usually straight forward.

Hmm, I don't think the game is too grind heavy, most people don't realize you get EXP for doing Missions and quest, and just taking your time and doing a decent size of the quest available for each floor will probably get you by until the boss.

Explain what this is if you can
Woof ok. So Personas 3 and 4 have their own version of this mechanic too, which I'll get to in a bit.

Press Turn in SMT is basically a battle system where you have a turn icon for each member of your party, usually four. Using an ability, an attack, an item, etc. will use one full icon and go to the next party member. However, hitting an enemy weakness will make that turn icon flash, and use "half" of the icon, then still passing to the next member of the party. This basically earns you a free turn for hitting that weakness. Other ways exist to earn half turns, like getting critical hits. You also can pass your turn to only use half a turn and give it to the next party member, which is useful.

There's some more quirks and intricacies that make sense when you play the games, learning that is part of that fun I think though. What makes it really fun is that enemies work under these same rules, so when they crit or hit a weakness, they get another half turn as well.

Now Persona 3 and 4 use the "One More!" System, where it proceeds like a Final Fantasy esque normal JRPG turn based battle, but hitting a weakness gives that same character the chance to hit again, if the enemy is hit with a weakness it cannot be hit again with that same weakness to gain another turn, since it will be knocked down. This applies to your party as well, when they get hit with a weakness.

Edit: I'm an idiot and should've linked to an explanation by someone better than me. Fuck everything.

Can I take a slight second to push Digital Devil Saga 1&2? It's all the gameplay of SMT
it's pretty much Nocturne/Lucifer's Call Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry™ series
and with a really interesting story and a brilliant cast of characters
Argilla being Yukiko still fucks my brain
They're both on PSN. I recommend them.

And if you like the games there's a book series which is getting translated into English. Quantum Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner. It's basically the writer of the original games who departed in development of the first game for reasons. It's not a novelization, it is its own thing. Volume 2 is currently being translated and diverges from the games very differently. I really recommend this if you like the games, because it is fucking radical. The first volume is practically the first half of DDS1, but with slight changes and more depth into the characters.

I should really go back to DDS2 soon...

Seriously DDS is really worth checking out. Like, fuck your Personas and your SMT and play this (but play them too, they're all good).

This is totally related because press-turn system and story based megaten like the Personas.

Damn it I was hoping we could discuss Harry Potter...

There's not much to say about it, they're good books. She's one of the best writers for characters and world, her plot is standard at best, but that's irrelevant because she's so good at world building and her characters are likable and believable.

Honestly, the worst part about Harry Potter is Harry Potter. He's just a window for the reader with next to no personality and is unreasonably ignorant of everything in the magical world for years and years after being introduced to into it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Just beat bayonetta 2, amazing, amazing ride, the final boss was very sufficient, so now im wanting to hear what people's complaints of it were. Loved it from beginning to end and I honestly want to replay both games right away.

360pages

I need to read Harry potter to get some prose and how to write somewhat down. I remember reading it when I was younger, but honestly, I really need to find some books I can get into.

I feel sorry for him but I appreciate it lol. I read his as well to confirm if I was right.
I'll believe this for you
It actually only took like 7 minutes to write. It's no big deal.
Just beat bayonetta 2, amazing, amazing ride, the final boss was very sufficient, so now im wanting to hear what people's complaints of it were. Loved it from beginning to end and I honestly want to replay both games right away.
Final boss was only "great" and not blow-my-pants-off good. That's my only complaint.
Do you lose all your icon's for missing an attack? It feels like that when an attack misses
You lose two, iirc. So it would feel like that. At least it applies to enemies too.

I need to read Harry potter to get some prose and how to write somewhat down. I remember reading it when I was younger, but honestly, I really need to find some books I can get into.
I don't mean to sound condescending, but reading is a great way to learn how to write, imo, if you have the mindset of reading to observe technique.
Guys, friendly reminder that Apollo is the best Purse Owner..
Who's that? That's not from any of the Persona games, it's not in 3 or 4. I played both of the Persona games so I would know.

360pages

I don't mean to sound condescending, but reading is a great way to learn how to write, imo, if you have the mindset of reading to observe technique.
Who's that? That's not from any of the Persona games, it's not in 3 or 4. I played both of the Persona games so I would know.

Oh, I know. I actually read quite a bit. But after the first Harry Potter book, I lost interest. I remember reading quite a few Percy Jackson books as well. But recently no one really has recommended me any good fantasy or adventure books.

And please not the Song of Fire and Ice.

Guys, friendly reminder that Apollo is the best Purse Owner.

apollo030308.gif

Oh, I know. I actually read quite a bit. But after the first Harry Potter book, I lost interest. I remember reading quite a few Percy Jackson books as well. But recently no one really has recommended me any good fantasy or adventure books.

And please not the Song of Fire and Ice.
Read Brave Story. It's a book that starts grounded and ends up turning into a fantasy adventure that's kinda for kids and translated from Japanese, but is really touching. The introduction where it stays grounded is fucking amazing.

360pages

Read Brave Story. It's a book that starts grounded and ends up turning into a fantasy adventure that's kinda for kids and translated from Japanese, but is really touching. The introduction where it stays grounded is fucking amazing.

Looks interesting, book marked.

U havin' giggle m8? I'll deck you right in the gabber. Swear on me mum.

I have both P2:IS and P2:EP downloaded and ready to play. I might just wait for P2:EP's PSP fan translation as there is a team working on it now.

Sure, but that might be a while. Enjoy IS.

THERE'S MORE OF THIS?

It's been in the works for a while. Not sure on how close they are to finishing.

Sure, but that might be a while. Enjoy IS.

Not to beat the dead horse, but I've developed patience in the form of bitterness for Atlus games.

Eh I'll start it after I've finished all those other games I need to finish.
Then after Persona Q, then by the time that happens I'll have Bayonetta 2, then after Wonderful 101 then never

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom