• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiraiya

This is very true. It's worth pointing out games like Barkley SU&J:G moved off of things like RPGmaker in order to achieve different functionality, but the capabilities of the tools you use are only limited by you, generally.

And Barkley it's self was garbage, the best thing about that game was the level of detail that went into it to produce so many different mechanics, so on that level I totally respect it. But the world and everything else was really nonsense, though I guess I get why people could get into it with the "Oh I love the dumb funny thing that looks like shit" perspective.

I think we can all agree who the best male character is.
I'm nitpicking, but Gamagoori is the greatest motherfucker I've seen in a show in a long time.
Ragyo's a what? I don't... What? I'm not even sure how to argue with you. I guess just watch the show again? Like any episode where Ragyo does things? And Inamuta's collar and his banter with Nonon make him cool enough IMO, but I totally see where you're coming from on that one.. And I will defend Ryuko forever. You know what her contemporaries are? Eren Jeager, Luffy, Naruto, Kirito. As to her motivation, It was half revenge, half that she walked into a dictatorship, looked around, and said "Nah, I'm bringing this place the fuck down." Sure she's not Vash the Stampede or Spike fucking Spiegel, but you don't have to be one of the greatest characters of all time to be a good character. I say again that it's the fact that Kill La Kill has one of the most memorable supporting casts in anime history that makes Ryuko look bad.
Ryuko starts really strong, but then she loses her way a bit. Her motivations aren't established well enough without her intense rivalry with Satsuki she starts with.

Ragyo... Oh geez how do I start.
Incestuous rape is a pretty haphazard way to make me hate a character. It doesn't make her feel genuinely evil, it almost feels thrown in for the sake of saying "pls hate her".

She also just wasn't that cool. She never really seemed to interact with anyone enough to give her any depth, which isn't neccesary, but now she's not threatening or interesting. And I'm left feeling kinda meh.
And Barkley it's self was garbage, the best thing about that game was the level of detail that went into it to produce so many different mechanics, so on that level I totally respect it. But the world and everything else was really nonsense, though I guess I get why people could get into it with the "Oh I love the dumb funny thing that looks like shit" perspective.
Barkley itself in an in-joke made and distributed for free and for fun. It's a game made for people who know 90s Basketball and 90s JRPGs. I understand why you'd dislike it, but it's pretty cool how smartly put together it is.

What was her motive?

Ryuko's motivation: A Chart.
1. Someone stabbed my Dad in the chest. Find out what the fuck.
Did I just walk into a goddamn dictatorship? Fuck you Kiryuin, Imma wreck your shit and THEN we can talk about my Dad.
3. FUCK YOU NUI FUCK YOU SO HARD AGRGEHTRGERRAGERH
4. FUCK YOU NUI AND RAGYO FUCK YOU SO HARD AGRGEHTRGERRAGERH
5. I'm a monster. Better go selfdestruct the monster who made me like this! Sorry Senketsu.
6. I am going to save everything I care about from my psychotic bitch of a mom.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Squishy3

Ah shit, I saw this at the MCM London ComicCon last week for £90 and didn't buy it, I had the money as well...
You can always buy this from Amazon for 18 more. I'm contemplating pulling the trigger myself because it's cheaper than importing it from Japan. It's the exact same thing as the boxset he posted, just a little bit more expensive

There's some issues that are manufacturer specific and then some that are due to Gainax giving them messed up masters that had audio present but not video at certain points, so they had to splice in DVD footage, and those are detailed here. http://www.alltheanime.com/gurren-lagann-update/

croten

Ryuko's motivation: A Chart.
1. Someone stabbed my Dad in the chest. Find out what the fuck.
Did I just walk into a goddamn dictatorship? Fuck you Kiryuin, Imma wreck your shit and THEN we can talk about my Dad.
3. FUCK YOU NUI FUCK YOU SO HARD AGRGEHTRGERRAGERH
4. FUCK YOU NUI AND RAGYO FUCK YOU SO HARD AGRGEHTRGERRAGERH
5. I'm a monster. Better go selfdestruct the monster who made me like this! Sorry Senketsu.
6. I am going to save everything I care about from my psychotic bitch of a mom.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

I meant Ragyo

They all feel like parodies of typical anime archetypes. I really didn't like my first impression with the show.

I keep feeling like Kill La Kill was supposed to be a commentary on what's wrong with anime at the start, before it began to take itself seriously.

I still really like it, but you can tell it was being rewritten in the background.

Squishy3

I keep feeling like Kill La Kill was supposed to be a commentary on what's wrong with anime at the start, before it began to take itself seriously.

I still really like it, but you can tell it was being rewritten in the background.
Well they were literally making it up to the last second. The final episode was delivered the morning of the day it aired. Gurren Lagann's final episode was reportedly delivered 6 hours before it was set to air.

Xiraiya

Barkley itself in an in-joke made and distributed for free and for fun. It's a game made for people who know 90s Basketball and 90s JRPGs. I understand why you'd dislike it, but it's pretty cool how smartly put together it is.

I don't hate it, I just think some people get too over the top excited about it, I enjoyed watching Pat play it.

But that kind of "OOHHHH YOOOOOO HYPEST SHIT" reaction can quickly become a pain when not much is actually happening, like watching Night Slashers was kind of interesting but after awhile it's like, guys calm the fuck down you're looking at like 3 pixels on the screen.

I'm aware of my exaggeration but you get my point.

Squishy3

I don't hate it, I just think some people get too over the top excited about it, I enjoyed watching Pat play it.

But that kind of "OOHHHH YOOOOOO HYPEST SHIT" reaction can quickly become a pain when not much is actually happening, like watching Night Slashers was kind of interesting but after awhile it's like, guys calm the fuck down you're looking at like 3 pixels on the screen.

Barkley is legitimately hype because it has no goddamn right to be that good.

That's a bit more of a reaction to their commentary rather than the game itself. Playing Barkley doesn't have someone pointing out all the cool jokes and references to you.

You also can just derive less enjoyment from it than other people. That's a fine opinion.

Xiraiya

Barkley is legitimately hype because it has no goddamn right to be that good.

I will give you that, the sheer fact so much work went into making the mechanics and writing out the story and dialogue for that game is just utterly baffling, baskestball drama is unexpectedly engaging and I don't even know why.

Squishy3

I will give you that, the sheer fact so much work went into making the mechanics and writing out the story and dialogue for that game is just utterly baffling, baskestball drama is unexpectedly engaging and I don't even know why.
I really can't wait for Barkley 2 to be released. I preordered the soundtrack bundle like 5 months ago through humble bundle.

I meant Ragyo

She
was the last in a long line of the craziest motherfuckers ever, born and raised to a single purpose; help the Life Fibers wipe out humanity. The show doesn't dwell on it because it's simple and pretty comparatively standard, which, yeah, I see where you're coming from, but the mistake I think you're making is looking at her as a human with independent reasons for doing things. She had the same motivation crazy evil religious people do, indoctrination by evil forces.

I have heard that before. It's one of the reasons why I have kept myself open to watching the show. To catch when the show's focus shifted.
Did you love Gurren Lagann?
If so, there really shouldn't be a reason for you to not love Kill La Kill.
I did not love Gurren Lagann.

croten

She
was the last in a long line of the craziest motherfuckers ever, born and raised to a single purpose; help the Life Fibers wipe out humanity. The show doesn't dwell on it because it's simple and pretty comparatively standard, which, yeah, I see where you're coming from, but the mistake I think you're making is looking at her as a human with independent reasons for doing things. She had the same motivation crazy evil religious people do, indoctrination by evil forces.

And I think that's a boring reason for your main antagonist to have

360pages

I often wonder how things like Twilight got popular, was it because it was just the right thing at the right time? I mean, it's one of those things I never read, so maybe I should actually read at least a single book from the series. I know the plot is garbage, but what about the prose.

Xiraiya

I did not love Gurren Lagann.
Yeah unless you're fanatical about TTGL, KLK will do nothing for you, I liked TTGL, it was fun to watch, and it was pretty solid about doing what it was wanting to do, but I do feel like people make both of these series out to be way deeper than they actually are.

That argument can be made for pretty much any anime/game though as every shows fanbase has that, so I don't think about it too much.

Watching TTGL once was enough, I didn't feel like I needed to see more of the exact same thing, I liked it for what it was.

Xiraiya

I've never seen anyone say that TTGL is in any way deep. In fact, it's tropes: the show, dumb and fucking awesome.

I've come across it a few times, but that's exactly how I viewed it "Basic Shonen characters, cookie cutter heroism and endless powerups with cool shit, go."

A need to just watch something solid and simple like that sometimes is definitely something I can understand.

Yeah unless you're fanatical about TTGL, KLK will do nothing for you, I liked TTGL, it was fun to watch, and it was pretty solid about doing what it was wanting to do, but I do feel like people make both of these series out to be way deeper than they actually are.

That argument can be made for pretty much any anime/game though as every shows fanbase has that, so I don't think about it too much.

Watching TTGL once was enough, I didn't feel like I needed to see more of the exact same thing, I liked it for what it was.

I've never seen anyone say that TTGL is in any way deep. In fact, it's tropes: the show, dumb and fucking awesome.

I wouldn't exactly call it deep, but I wouldn't say that TTGL is dumb? It's hard to explain, I just feel like you can't really call something as impeccably put together as TTGL dumb regardless of whether it's deep.

Xiraiya

I wouldn't exactly call it deep, but I wouldn't say that TTGL is dumb? It's hard to explain, I just feel like you can't really call something as impeccably put together as TTGL dumb regardless of whether it's deep.

It's dumb in the sense that the spiral power stuff is absolute nonsense with how unlimited it is and how ridiculous it gets, does that make it bad? No it doesn't. But that show is what it is, a good time you don't need to rack your brain over.

I assume you can just play against the CPU?
Yep, that's how I did it.

Well, still got other things I need to wrap up in this game. Umbran Tears of Blood, what moon pearls and witch hearts are left, costumes, the Witch Trials, find missing verse cards, and get that Platinum Ticket.

...part of me wants to keep going at the pace that I am, but I kinda want to put it down and go back to Bayo 1 just to put some time into unlocking shit in that. But my Wii U can't hold both games at once so I have to delete one to make room for the other. Damn it all.

Zenfalcia

...part of me wants to keep going at the pace that I am, but I kinda want to put it down and go back to Bayo 1 just to put some time into unlocking shit in that. But my Wii U can't hold both games at once so I have to delete one to make room for the other. Damn it all.

From the podcasts it seems like deleting 2 wpuld be a terrible idea since it's supposably better? Unless you've 100% it.

Squishy3

Speaking of good times you don't need to rack your brain over, go see John Wick fuckers. I saw it on Tuesday and that movie is just good. Simple, black and white revenge plot, no gray area, the fuckers are just BAD PEOPLE and it has Lieutenant Daniels and Lester Freamon from The Wire as supporting characters. The editing is godlike too. No shaky cam motherfuckers!

I've come across it a few times, but that's exactly how I viewed it "Basic Shonen characters, cookie cutter heroism and endless powerups with cool shit, go."

A need to just watch something solid and simple like that sometimes is definitely something I can understand.
I could say it has some themes and characters and foresight that put it way, way above KLK, and that makes me feel like comparing them is unfair to Gurren. The way Gurren Lagann exemplifies and plays with the Hero's Journey is pretty radical.
It's dumb in the sense that the spiral power stuff is absolute nonsense with how unlimited it is and how ridiculous it gets, does that make it bad? No it doesn't. But that show is what it is, a good time you don't need to rack your brain over.

Its just thematic symbolism for willpower more than anything serious.

ultimax

Yep, that's how I did it.

Well, still got other things I need to wrap up in this game. Umbran Tears of Blood, what moon pearls and witch hearts are left, costumes, the Witch Trials, find missing verse cards, and get that Platinum Ticket.

You went digital? You can get a pretty big external hard drive for cheap online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom