• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wut? Nonon is great

you_mad.gif

Games are pretty complex as far as programming goes actually. This year I made Breakout and a text based RPG in a few days. Gamemaker is probably the simplest way to get easy results.

Oh yeah no I know. Shit reacting to stuff affected by other things and so on. Chain of variables forever

Squishy3

Neighbors kid came over dressed as Donatello for Halloween. Matt would be proud. It's also surreal seeing kids way younger than you growing up on the same things you did.
Everyone should use Hola and watch Wolf of Wall Street on Netflix by the way. That movie is GODLIKE

360pages

Been reading fate/apocrypha

And...well it's something, first of all, it's closer to an actual war. With 7 servants on each side and tactics play somewhat of a role.

Xiraiya

Yeah I just wanted to hopefully be good enough to do like small games some day, might help with getting a job in stuff like that, though I'm not holding my breath. I checked out the tutorials in Game Maker a while ago for funsies. I should probably go back to it sometime even though I know it's not real programming

Don't count stuff like that out, even RPGMaker can be a stepping stone, the thing about games is doing even a simple game yourself from start to finish will take plenty of time and focus, mainly focus, time depends on how familiar you are with the tools you're working with and how much of a plan you have.

I do a lot of various modding stuff, I like looking through files seeing how they packaged assets and the like, I use CE in some cases to look at how I can mess with the game in strange ways, such the Lighting in Dark Souls 2.

I don't have a particular desire to just be like "I want to make games" Because it's really not that simple, but I have theories and ideas I sometimes like to try and incorporate into an existing game and fiddle with various things here and there.

Don't count stuff like that out, even RPGMaker can be a stepping stone, the thing about games is doing even a simple game yourself from start to finish will take plenty of time and focus, mainly focus, time depends on how familiar you are with the tools you're working with and how much of a plan you have.

I do a lot of various modding stuff, I like looking through files seeing how they packaged assets and the like, I use CE in some cases to look at how I can mess with the game in strange ways, such the Lighting in Dark Souls 2.

I don't have a particular desire to just be like "I want to make games" Because it's really not that simple, but I have theories and ideas I sometimes like to try and incorporate into an existing game and fiddle with various things here and there.

Yeah GM didn't seem like something strong that you could do a lot with, but then I saw the dude's making Hyper Light Drifter were using it and a bunch of other and it was pretty amazing.

I can't actually think of a bad Kill La Kill character? And nobody fucking say Ryuko, if she was in any other show she'd be the best character in there. She's just unlucky enough to be up against the likes of Satsuki Kiryuin.

I'd say Ryuko is pretty bland compared to other series as well, but other choices:
Ragyo is a lame antagonist, and Inumuta is a walking trope without anything endearing to him

Xiraiya

Yeah GM didn't seem like something strong that you could do a lot with, but then I saw the dude's making Hyper Light Drifter were using it and a bunch of other and it was pretty amazing.

You're really only limited by your knowledge of what you're working with and your creativity that makes use of that knowledge, otherwise you can pretty much do anything.

The best example of this fact is the difference between games at the beginning of a console's lifespan and games at the very end of it.

As developers grow more familiar/experienced with the tools they have to work with, they usually figure out more effective ways to acquire new levels of visual quality and overall optimization and polishing in games that would have been too difficult to achieve in the beginning without needing better sets of tools or more powerful hardware.

I'd say Ryuko is pretty bland compared to other series as well, but other choices:
Ragyo is a lame antagonist, and Inumuta is a walking trope without anything endearing to him

Ragyo's a what? I don't... What? I'm not even sure how to argue with you. I guess just watch the show again? Like any episode where Ragyo does things? And Inamuta's collar and his banter with Nonon make him cool enough IMO, but I totally see where you're coming from on that one.. And I will defend Ryuko forever. You know what her contemporaries are? Eren Jeager, Luffy, Naruto, Kirito. Sure she's not Vash the Stampede or Spike fucking Spiegel, but you don't have to be one of the greatest characters of all time to be a good character. I say again that it's the fact that Kill La Kill has one of the most memorable supporting casts in anime history that makes Ryuko look bad.

You're really only limited by your knowledge of what you're working with and your creativity that makes use of that knowledge, otherwise you can pretty much do anything.

This is very true. It's worth pointing out games like Barkley SU&J:G moved off of things like RPGmaker in order to achieve different functionality, but the capabilities of the tools you use are only limited by you, generally.

croten

Ragyo's a what? I don't... What? I'm not even sure how to argue with you. I guess just watch the show again? Like any episode where Ragyo does things? And Inamuta's collar and his banter with Nonon make him cool enough IMO, but I totally see where you're coming from on that one.. And I will defend Ryuko forever. You know what her contemporaries are? Eren Jeager, Luffy, Naruto, Kirito. Sure she's not Vash the Stampede or Spike fucking Spiegel, but you don't have to be one of the greatest characters of all time to be a good character. I say again that it's the fact that Kill La Kill has one of the most memorable supporting casts in anime history that makes Ryuko look bad.

What was her motive?

This is very true. It's worth pointing out games like Barkley SU&J:G moved off of things like RPGmaker in order to achieve different functionality, but the capabilities of the tools you use are only limited by you, generally.

Thanks for reminding me my downfall will be my own lack of motivation.
I'm not actually butthurt about anything.

Halloween is tomorrow what's everyone doing for it. I'm gonna watch The Crow... Then That's it... or maybe Rocky Horror

Homework and games

Another run through of Bayo 2, unlocked a new accessory and completed all Muspelheims, though I'm still missing some moon pearls and witch hearts.

This game just continues to keep giving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom