• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pity you.
hqdefault.jpg

Yeah unless you're fanatical about TTGL, KLK will do nothing for you, I liked TTGL, it was fun to watch, and it was pretty solid about doing what it was wanting to do, but I do feel like people make both of these series out to be way deeper than they actually are.

That argument can be made for pretty much any anime/game though as every shows fanbase has that, so I don't think about it too much.

Watching TTGL once was enough, I didn't feel like I needed to see more of the exact same thing, I liked it for what it was.
That's kinda my same opinion.

Also, I don't fall to hype very easy, and I have subtle tastes. Nearly every single one of my favorite anythings are slow paced, subtle, and quiet.

Zenfalcia

I'm in if you can handle a level 1 scrub

Well.. as long as you can aim and kill stuff.. preferably get head shots too
and learn the mechanics, all the enemy types, classes and their roles, what to do in all situations, healing teammates, welding and unwelding, not to block teammates, memorizing the map and being good at the game
you should be fine.

From the podcasts it seems like deleting 2 wpuld be a terrible idea since it's supposably better? Unless you've 100% it.
I'd just be deleting the game content data, not my progress. And yes, the game is better, but that wouldn't make the first one obsolete. There's still things worth doing there.

I know I could get an external HDD to solve my issue, but I'm very tight on cash at the moment. And I'm not sacrificing the one that has all my anime on it just for this.

Well.. as long as you can aim and kill stuff.. preferably get head shots too
and learn the mechanics, all the enemy types, classes and their roles, what to do in all situations, healing teammates, welding and unwelding, not to block teammates, memorizing the map and being good at the game
you should be fine.

I can light things on fire......

360pages

I do think a lot of writing as of late have fallen into the trap of trying to make something deeper than it is. I think having good characters in a basic but fun story is far more important than having a deep story. Especially if it results in the characters just turning into mouthpieces for ideas.

Dumb might not have been the right word. Its story elements are implemented almost perfectly, creating an incredibly compelling end result. The writing itself is fantastic and incredibly clever when it comes to achieving its goal. What I specifically mean by dumb is that it doesn't abide by logical rules and is a large compilation of constant power up and Deus Ex Machina use (if I'm using the term correctly), but it does so with a goal and purpose in mind (with a massive focus on Will and determination), meaning these "dumb" elements compliment the show, it's characters and themes perfectly.

It's "dumb" in the most intelligently written way possible.

Ok, that's the best explanation I've read to explain the show.
Deus Ex Machina is a powerup/other previously unknown intervention right at the moment it's needed, so you're correct on that.

Zenfalcia

I'd just be deleting the game content data, not my progress. And yes, the game is better, but that wouldn't make the first one obsolete. There's still things worth doing there.

I know I could get an external HDD to solve my issue, but I'm very tight on cash at the moment. And I'm not sacrificing the one that has all my anime on it just for this.

True. Ah, ok. In the end it's up to you. You'll get more time with bayo, which is a plus.

Anime>bayo confirmed. Does WiiU accept usb sticks for memory?

I can light things on fire......

But can you do it efficiently?
i'm joking btw. It'll be fiiiine.

Dumb might not have been the right word. Its story elements are implemented almost perfectly, creating an incredibly compelling end result. The writing itself is fantastic and incredibly clever when it comes to achieving its goal. What I specifically mean by dumb is that it doesn't abide by logical rules and is a large compilation of constant power up and Deus Ex Machina use (if I'm using the term correctly), but it does so with a goal and purpose in mind (with a massive focus on will and determination), meaning these "dumb" elements compliment the show, its characters and themes perfectly.

It's "dumb" in the most intelligently written way possible.

Yeah, there you go.

It's easy. You pick Sharpshooter. Aim at heads. Shoot as heads. Done. Little to no effort. That's why Zen plays SS.

But can you do it efficiently?
i'm joking btw. It'll be fiiiine.
All I can promise is I won't die on the first wave, maybe
I'd be down for some Killing floor, I haven't played it in a while.

All this KLK talk made me listen to the soundtrack again, its so good

incredibly old article but check this hardcore science we did on penguins
http://www.nature.com/news/2002/020925/full/news020923-3.html
The hard hitting FACTS that we need to know right here
Funding well spent

Zenfalcia

It does, but there's a really high chance of corruption. Nintendo tells you not to do it.

Hmm.. ok..

All I can promise is I won't die on the first wave, maybe

Good enough.

I'd be down for some Killing floor, I haven't played it in a while.

Sure, well it's not like it'll be overly serious, since i'm assuming most people havent played in a while.

Oh. Well, when I get home, I'm going to install Killing Floor. Should be fun.

Just get ready to have fun with all the different types of zeds that will ruin your day.

You can die as many times as you want, but if you block my grenade and get me killed, I will devour you, DDS style.

I'm just kidding. Although, SS is one of the easier classes. Along with Firebug.

Grenade blocking is a serious issue that gets players killed. 4/10 grenades thrown are blocked. You can prevent this.

Dw.
I knew you were kidding.

So what day is good for everyone? Tomorrow? Saturday? Sunday?

Yeah, I know. I've just been seeing it get misused lately and started doubting my own known definition of the term.

Well, the origin is that at the end of a lot of ancient Greek plays, they would literally lower a Greek god on a crane and it would fix/explain everything. So really, it should only be used when a series ends with an unbelievable coincidence/random unexpected good thing that solves the whole problem.
Akira
actually ends with one. But, no, Gurren Lagann actually goes out of its way to avoid the Deus Ex Machina at the end when
Simon refuses to bring Nia back.

Hmm.. ok..

Good enough.

Sure, well it's not like it'll be overly serious, since i'm assuming most people havent played in a while.

Just get ready to have fun with all the different types of zeds that will ruin your day.

Grenade blocking is a serious issue that gets players killed. 4/10 grenades thrown are blocked. You can prevent this.

Dw.
I knew you were kidding.

So what day is good for everyone? Tomorrow? Saturday? Sunday?
I will have fun killing Zeds.

I go back home on Sunday. Lets nub it up then.

I go home on Sunday.

360pages

I don't mind slow Subtle stuff, as long as it's fun. I prefer something interesting happening every episode/chapter. But even I realize that's impossible.

Of course the slow stuff have to be funny or interesting at the very least. I do not want to see two characters having a conversation about what it means to exist and our place in the universe. (Something Eva did quite a bit after EP 16,)

Zenfalcia

Oh, we're playing KF? Hope you guys don't feel too nooby when I show up with all my level 6s
I don't mind slow Subtle stuff, as long as it's fun. I prefer something interesting happening every episode/chapter. But even I realize that's impossible.

Of course the slow stuff have to be funny or interesting at the very least. I do not want to see two characters having a conversation about what it means to exist and our place in the universe. (Something Eva did quite a bit after EP 16,)

On the other hand you have to mix it up at times you can have one thing all the time. It also depends on the genre of the medium.

360pages

On the other hand you have to mix it up at times you can have one thing all the time. It also depends on the genre of the medium.

Of course, in a written medium context and reason is everything. Hell you could argue that most books are mostly context for the events happening and why they are happening with very little action.

While in a visual medium, context is less important, it's still important, but expressing why can take a back seat for things actually happening.

Oh, we're playing KF? Hope you guys don't feel too nooby when I show up with all my level 6s
Oh lord, the skill.

I love episodes like this. I loved it in Eva. I love the exposition nuke at the end of MGS2. I don't know why, but I just love things like this.

Well, my Halloween costume has completely fallen through. I spent the entirety of the day searching for a goatee and all of the shirt maker places in my area are charging $20 for a shirt with like ten letters on it.

Time to improvise.

As I typed that I turned my head slightly and saw the perfect costume possibility. This will work just fine.

croten

Oh lord, the skill.

I love episodes like this. I loved it in Eva. I love the exposition nuke at the end of MGS2. I don't know why, but I just love things like this.

I like things like that as well although I do have a preference for dumb silly things like TTGL

Well, my Halloween costume has completely fallen through. I spent the entirety of the day searching for a goatee and all of the shirt maker places in my area are charging $20 for a shirt with like ten letters on it.

Time to improvise.

As I typed that I turned my head slightly and saw the perfect costume possibility. This will work just fine.

I smell an incoming image

Time to improvise.

I'll post tomorrow, I gotta dig a component out and get everything together.

Menacing+can+someone+clarify+one+thing+for+me+is_7e77ac_5174375.png

But its a good OS apparently.

I should stay away from so much linux distros.
It's a struggle. I keep installing tons of shit for fun. CrunchBang is a recent fun one, though it's just OpenBox on top of Debian, it's a really cool initial install with easy customization.

I wish there was another Linux thread on GAF besides the Linux Distro Noob thread. Just a general Linux OT.
I'll post tomorrow, I gotta dig a component out and get everything together.

360pages

I don't mind slow things. I think Fate/Stay night and Tsukihime because it's usually done so we can learn more about the characters. Their likes and dislikes, almost slice of lifeish.

I think Eva fails at that regard, because they want to present every single thing as symbolism rather than us actually learning anything substantial about the characters. Often times I feel like I know the characters view more than why they have that view. Thus a lot of those conversations fall flat due to their serious nature.

Zenfalcia

I'm tempted to do a shameless costume.. i dont know if i have the guts to do it.
let alone post it online for frienders to judge me.

Of course, in a written medium context and reason is everything. Hell you could argue that most books are mostly context for the events happening and why they are happening with very little action.

While in a visual medium, context is less important, it's still important, but expressing why can take a back seat for things actually happening.

Yep. With books though you have to heaviyl imply it since you have to explain details etc. Then there's telling the reader directly.. which is amateurish. Like explaining plit in giant non stop sentences.

With visual i feel like it'll be easier? It doesnt always have to be shoved in your face. Subtle things like having a momento from a past arc.

I like slow things if they're well written, but more than that I love if they build into something fast and crazy. Like Gurren Lagann or Breaking Bad.

It's a struggle. I keep installing tons of shit for fun. CrunchBang is a recent fun one, though it's just OpenBox on top of Debian, it's a really cool initial install with easy customization.

I wish there was another Linux thread on GAF besides the Linux Distro Noob thread. Just a general Linux OT.

I wish I could try out all of the cool distros, but I need my Anime and Kamen Rider in my hard drive.

The other day I saw an OT just for the prerelease of Ubuntu 14.10 and
3a0.gif

They barely change a thing from 14.04 and people thought it was ok to make an OT just from that unstable mess.

croten

I'm tempted to do a shameless costume.. i dont know if i have the guts to do it.
let alone post it online for frienders to judge me.

Pretty sure you could get arrested for that

Okay. Alright. That's um... Yeah.... I- I don't...

I'm on episode 6 of Hellsing.
Is the Vatican army the KKK!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom