• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Guacamelee, watching another person play it has made me think, would it be better as just a straight up Mario style platformer? The best parts of the game are the platforming challenges with the metroidvania traversal being relatively weak. If they had just focused on the platforming would you haven enjoyed it more? Keeping the combat and platforming the same, just remove the running around in between.

The thing is, the Metroidvania traversal mostly are the in game introduction to the different mechanics of the game. I wouldn't like it more if it was straight platforming. I feel like they should have put platforming challenges separate like in VR missions in Revengence. Also they shouldn't have locked out the good end if you didn't 100% it.

The thing is, the Metroidvania traversal mostly are the in game introduction to the different mechanics of the game. I wouldn't like it more if it was straight platforming. I feel like they should have put platforming challenges separate like in VR missions in Revengence. Also they shouldn't have locked out the good end if you didn't 100% it.

I think at the very least the ratios should have been switched around, or at least made the overworld have more of the fun platforming elements, instead of essentially just being empty hallways leading to the fun.

And the good ending should have been the default ending, then the true good ending should have actually been good.

croten

Well you don't get it for 100%ing the game all you need to do is get the 5 mask pieces, which I think is fine.

It's not exactly a story heavy game, what do expect?

I don't know, it just felt like there could have been more of a reward for getting through the hardest parts of the game, maybe a true final boss that wasn't garbage or some kind of extra final level? Something cool.

The best platforming segments are required to get those pieces, the ending is fucking nothing.
Juan kisses the girl. The end.

Welp since I have the upgraded Guacamelee STCE, I better get on that and 100% it

Wait so you missed out on some of the best challenges in the game? The Tule tree platforming is one favorite parts

I only did the Tule tree and thats it. I really just wanted to fight the bosses near the end.

croten

I don't know, it just felt like there could have been more of a reward for getting through the hardest parts of the game, maybe a true final boss that wasn't garbage or some kind of extra final level? Something cool.

I think the challenges themselves were reward enough. The games flaw was that there really wasn't much challenge.

I think the challenges themselves were reward enough. The games flaw was that there really wasn't much challenge.

It was mainly a disappointment for me since they built up the special awesomeness of this mask that changes absolutely nothing but a two second cutscene. And if it did change something gameplay-wise, it was no significant enough to matter.

croten

It was mainly a disappointment for me since they built up the special awesomeness of this mask that changes absolutely nothing but a two second cutscene. And if it did change something gameplay-wise, it was no significant enough to matter.

It also changes the credits
to show their married life
and it does have a gameplay change, when you are the chicken you can jump infinitely

For exploring the map. It's a metroidvania, that's what you do.

But, by the time you're able to even finish all the challenges you've pretty much finished the game, so if you care about completion you'll likely already have 99% of the stuff. It's cool it does something, but that's not enough to really warrant the build up they gave it.

And like I said, the map itself is boring and I'd rather not have to explore it, since there's very little effort required to traverse it. Making it even easier to do doesn't make it any less uninteresting to me.

croten

But, by the time you're able to even finish all the challenges you've pretty much finished the game, so if you care about completion you'll likely already have 99% of the stuff. It's cool it does something, but that's not enough to really warrant the build up they gave it.

Your problem is that were expecting it to do so much more that it did when really there wasn't that much build up. Do the 5 things to get a different ending sounds very fair to me. A new final boss would have been nice but I wasn't really expecting it to do that much.

Your problem is that were expecting it to do so much more that it did when really there wasn't that much build up. Do the 5 things to get a different ending sounds very fair to me. A new final boss would have been nice but I wasn't really expecting it to do that much.

There were huge altars, dialog hyping each one up, a huge to do about them if you get the bad ending and were hidden behind parts of the game way way way harder than anything else in there. They were hyped up as a pretty big deal, expecting something after all that isn't me having unreasonable expectations, it's having the appropriately set expectations.

"Hey, man! You mow my lawn, I'll give you something amazing and totally awesome!" then I give you a glass of lemonade and say "You shouldn't have expected so much, that's your fault." That sound like bullshit to anyone else?

croten

There were huge altars, dialog hyping each one up, a huge to do about them if you get the bad ending and were hidden behind parts of the game way way way harder than anything else in there. They were hyped up as a pretty big deal, expecting something after all that isn't me having unreasonable expectations, it's having the appropriately set expectations.

"Hey, man! You mow my lawn, I'll give you something amazing and totally awesome!" then I give you a glass of lemonade and say "You shouldn't have expected so much, that's your fault." That sound like bullshit to anyone else?

Again, I think challenges were the reward.

Again, I think challenges were the reward.

They were, and they were the best part of the game, but that's not what the game said. "Do these challenges and get something awesome." Is clearly building to something, you do the hard shit you get the hardest/coolest shit afterwards, but then it just ends and you're left with a feeling of having done the cool shit in the past. That's lame as hell.

croten

They were, and they were the best part of the game, but that's not what the game said. "Do these challenges and get something awesome." Is clearly building to something, you do the hard shit you get the hardest/coolest shit afterwards, but then it just ends and you're left with a feeling of having done the cool shit in the past. That's lame as hell.

You get a different ending, which I was perfectly content with. I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Archgan

This I really agree with. For all the pain the Tule Tree gave me.

The Tule Tree gave a lot of pain only because it wasn't more clear that you need Goat Fly to beat it. I got halfway up before I got to a point that was impossible without it, looked up how to beat it and realized that I was supposed to use Goat Fly.

croten

The Tule Tree gave a lot of pain only because it wasn't more clear that you need Goat Fly to beat it. I got halfway up before I got to a point that was impossible without it, looked up how to beat it and realized that I was supposed to use Goat Fly.

Don't you need Goat Fly to do the very first part?

I guess I didn't really beat it after all. I believe I got to the tule tree right when it unlocked

Archgan

Don't you need Goat Fly to do the very first part?

You can actually stand on the top of the walls with spikes on them if you are close to the edge. From there, I jumped to one of the platforms. I actually skipped half of that part. I thought it was weird that there was all this other part of the level you didn't need.

Anung

Un Rama
Woolie went to the Suicide forest? Dayum I can't wait for that video. My orienteering skills suck as I was staying at Lake Kawaguchi and thought Aokigahara was on the other side of the mountain. Turns out I was wrong and Lake Saiko was only a few miles from where I was staying. Probably missed my only chance to visit the suicide forest D:

Oberon

Banned
We're speaking of Guacamelee, Ey?
I have actually never played, I might buy the Wiiu version though, it looks fun enough.

A bit OT ( more than usual)
But I realised that I washed my hair with the wrong shampoo, and now it looks like I have a pampadour....
Well time to wear a long jacket and go out a beating up some punks! ( or be a punk)

Going more off topic, how come they're practically no long jackets for men? I've never seen someone wear them, I have never seen them sold in retail.

Woolie went to the Suicide forest? Dayum I can't wait for that video. My orienteering skills suck as I was staying at Lake Kawaguchi and thought Aokigahara was on the other side of the mountain. Turns out I was wrong and Lake Saiko was only a few miles from where I was staying. Probably missed my only chance to visit the suicide forest D:

Why is it called the suicide forest?

A little late, Anna Kendrick for me.

Man, I know most of these people but absolutely none of their names. Anna Kendrick is hot, though, I remember sitting in the theater watching Twilight (because my ticket was free and people dragged me) and thinking "This girl is too hot for this movie."

Because a shit ton of people killed themselves there and there are rumors of evil ghosts are something making people kill themselves there.

Xiraiya

I first heard of this on Ancient Aliens, that show has some crazy people on it but they do explore some interesting locations around the world and ask questions at times that don't really have answers.

Anyway basically it's this weird forest in Japan where for some reason people are drawn there to kill themselves.
You find abandoned cars in the carpark every year, there are police guys who do a sweep every 3 or 6 months or so to clean up any new suicide victims, it's a really fucked up place.

Regardless of what makes people go there to kill themselves, there are some weird energy based anomalies around that area.

I first heard of this on Ancient Aliens, that show has some crazy people on it but they do explore some interesting locations around the world and ask questions at times that don't really have answers.

Not talking about you or this situation, but I just wanna make note that I hate the whole concept of "These questions don't have answers!" as a form of proof for something. It's so completely invalid and dumb.

Not talking about you or this situation, but I just wanna make note that I hate the whole concept of "These questions don't have answers!" as a form of proof for something. It's so completely invalid and dumb.

And most of the questions they ask do actually have answers, but it's more fun to make a mystery out of something.

Okingjrr

Man, I know most of these people but absolutely none of their names. Anna Kendrick is hot, though, I remember sitting in the theater watching Twilight (because my ticket was free and people dragged me) and thinking "This girl is too hot for this movie."

The first time I saw her was in Scott pilgrim, I then looked up what other movies she did and saw twilight. I said to myself: "Maybe I could watch the movie to see how she did in it, if only for that".
To this day I've tried watching Twilight twice, and stopped at the same point: halfway through the opening narration.

Watching the Guacamelee LP while working out the rough layout of my NaNoWriMo story, and Jesus Christ this accent joke is getting to be a bit much.
It dies down eventually. Gotta remember that that was one recording session so it keeps going for that one session's episodes. Now that Liam is playing it's pretty sick awesome and they haven't done that joke in a long time, even though these episode were recorded before the backlash.
So, I found an English version of SMT1 since I thought that if I was going to get into this shit I'd suffer the right way.

My question: Should I let's play this, or at least record my first experiences with it?
?
You definitely can. That's not the GBA version is it? That means it's going to be even harder and less friendly. As a first person dungeon crawler, it'd be pretty rough.

You should totally do the intro, I think, but attempting to so the whole game will burn you out. You get lost and grind quite a bit when the real game kicks in.
That's not how energy works tho.
No shut up tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom